Vegetables

loong

Sorry Loong.

In the country they call the small lorries tuk tuks as in below

A small one can carry 2.5 tons of cassava but there are larger versions.

post-10544-0-44364900-1335846338_thumb.j

That vehicle is an Etan or Etang

It may well be but it is called a tuk tuk

Sorry Loong.

In the country they call the small lorries tuk tuks as in below

A small one can carry 2.5 tons of cassava but there are larger versions.

post-10544-0-44364900-1335846338_thumb.j

That vehicle is an Etan or Etang

It may well be but it is called a tuk tuk

I rest my case

Try asking the driver about his etan and he will not understand you. Call it a tuk tuk and he will. Tuk tuk (took took) and tak tak are both names commonly used because of the sounds they make.

I have grown several types of vegetables on 6 rai of our land. i change the type every year since because when i make a nice profit and people hear about it they start to grow the same thing and the marketprice plummets (sold korinder at 85bath/kilo, 20 people started growing and prices dropped to 5bath). Also grew pumpkins, fak, watermellon. Main problem iz mice getting to the crop and eating it. I use sprinklers for irrigation. It is very labour intensive, lots of weeding

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

I have grown several types of vegetables on 6 rai of our land. i change the type every year since because when i make a nice profit and people hear about it they start to grow the same thing and the marketprice plummets (sold korinder at 85bath/kilo, 20 people started growing and prices dropped to 5bath). Also grew pumpkins, fak, watermellon. Main problem iz mice getting to the crop and eating it. I use sprinklers for irrigation. It is very labour intensive, lots of weeding

Interesting... what do you do about security, do you sleep near the crop? This is my main worry at the moment.

Hi revar,

I would imagine that you produce a lot of veggies from 6 Rai.

Do you take your crop to a wholesalers or do you have assemblers come and collect from you?

If you don't mind sharing, how does the farmgate price that you receive compare to retail on average?

Thanks

What's the hot crop this year then? Promise I won't tell anyone :)

Revar,

I should also recommend that you do the same as western farmers in farangland - plead poverty.

It is not a good idea to let the locals know how well you are doing. They will be sure to copy.

I know that it's difficult for Thai partners to resist the temptation to show off though :)

I mostly sell to buyers who sell the vegies on bangkok markets or supply bangkok shops. Have different buyers for different crops. My main bussiness is pigfarming en a feed shop, the veggies are a sideline since I dont like our land to be barren. The pumpkins IActually grew on the rice fields after the rice had been harvested. As for security: our fields en farm are next to those of several uncles and we yake turns sleeping at my farm.

Hi Revar, can you tell us how you find the buyers in the first place, what is the best way of doing this?

cheers

Scoop

oh and i also sent you a pm about this

As with many things in thailand it is all about knowing the right people and building a network. I have been married to my thai wife for 13 years, live here permanently for several years,speak some thai and lao and havemany thai friends. So i build my network over a long period.

If you just start out i advice to spend a lot of time with thai farmers. They often know the right people and a buyer of one product often knows other buyers from different products. Socializing with thais is key, you will get better prices, better contacts and you need them to help you with your crops (advice and as workers). If they see you working in the fields together with them, drink sie-sip with them and eat their food you will quickly build a network and have a lot of helpers/advisors.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering.

Is it possible to grow vegs for your own use without pesticide ? Is it difficult ?

I think I'd ike to grow some or pay someone to grow to eat healthy food finally.

Do you believe that they don't use pesticide for vegetables under royal project ? I don't...

Thanks for your ideas.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering.

Is it possible to grow vegs for your own use without pesticide ? Is it difficult ?

I think I'd ike to grow some or pay someone to grow to eat healthy food finally.

Do you believe that they don't use pesticide for vegetables under royal project ? I don't...

Thanks for your ideas.

Yes it is, I grow my vegetables on my small plot without using any chemical fertilisers or pesticides.

Sometimes the insects will have a nibble, but I am quite happy to live with that.

When my wife goes to the local fresh market she comes home with vegetable that have very obvious insect damage. I went with her and saw some tables with beautiful vegetables for the same price. Of course I questioned her and was told that if the malang (insects) didn't want to eat those vegetables, then we shouldn't eat them either.

My wife would never even think about using pesticides in her garden. She gets irritated when I use insect spray in the house. She always asks me if I am trying to kill her.

When my wife goes to the local fresh market she comes home with vegetable that have very obvious insect damage. I went with her and saw some tables with beautiful vegetables for the same price. Of course I questioned her and was told that if the malang (insects) didn't want to eat those vegetables, then we shouldn't eat them either.

My wife would never even think about using pesticides in her garden. She gets irritated when I use insect spray in the house. She always asks me if I am trying to kill her.

So smart !!! I couln't think about this myself and I am happy to learn, so I will now only buy the ugly vegetables !!!