Selling Thai Brides

Rigger

What was the 'real' age of the girls? Several friends have talked before about 15 year old girls being offered for marriage in their village (not just to farangs either).

Strange society that we have chosen to live in.

Since older men/younger women unions happen SO much throughout the world, why is it seen as strange or unnatural? Laws do not create human nature, just legislate against it and I, for one, am against most morality legislation.

If someone very young is being manipulated, used or abused, hopefully there are people who will step in to assist.

Thats why we have laws and agencies to come in and assist!!

In many cases if you have a child being abused there is nobody to step in as if there were the child would not be subjected to ongoing abuse in the first place.

Without legislation there would be more abuse. There would be more child sex tourists in Cambodia than there are now.

There are a number of morality based laws both in the east and west that are questionable (some drug laws), but there is a need for some of these laws for sure.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why on earth take five friend to meet thai brides,

asking for head aches if you ask me.

i would recommend thai women as good wives and lots of fun but would definately not attemt to make any sort of business out of it. and coming from the same village = problems all round

So true...believe me.

It seems to me that there are many, many assumptions and generalisations in this thread, including the original post. All of the usual buttons have been pressed haven't they? For example:

1. Money

2. Old farang (presumably meaning older than the poster)

3. Age difference (greater than that of the poster and his wife?)

4. Families wanting a shot at farang money

5. Abusive farang husbands

6. Prostitution

7. Farang is a divorcee (and, presumably, the poster is not).

There's barely a shred of evidence about the detail of what was going on in that village and, perhaps, all of the guys went home empty handed. But the thread, like so many others, has become a sounding board for the judgemental and prejudiced. 'If it ain't what I did it's disgusting, immoral, illegal' and so on. Can't people just be allowed to get on with their lives without being condemned? It's like listening to old ladies who watched Theroux in Thailand.

However, if we're allowing ourselves to generalise and judge, how about guessing at why those chaps went all the way to the village where their pal's wife came from? Perhaps they saw how happy the couple was. Perhaps they were fed up with going to a singles club or searching the dating websites only to find either a slapper or a bitter divorcee who wants to punish a new guy for what her ex did whilst looking forward to a pension she didn't earn. Sweeping statements can support any theory, can't they?

Condemning others who are different from us or have different cultural backgrounds from us is what causes wars. Don't we understand just from having Thai wives what it's like to be judged by the ignorant?

OK I dont have all the facts but I know one thing your a dick :o

this is interesting. it seems like the thais have opted for the 'permanent easy way' of getting that special someone (or at least a fancy wedding, a night of mediocre passion, and a pile of cash before legging it)- by asking farang to marry them or find them husbands.

ironically, given my involvement in the local christian community, this has happened to me as well (ever accidentally gotten engaged? I have): for example, one of the women (a fairly well off woman with 2 kids who's getting on in years) has asked me to find her a husband- thankfully her own age.

this is kind of a strange thing to be asked after a sermon about sexual purity, even if the sermon was in thai (which I don't fully understand).

We are constantly asked by local women in the village to find a suitable farang to make a husband. We have a pile of photos if anyone is on the lookout. It's the would-be brides that ask us, never their parents.

A classic example of "Don't believe the hype". I'm sure a lot of girls brag about how "wonderful" their farang husband is, but remember this is Thailand and a lot of people like to "keep up appearances" even when the reality is much more empty and troublesome.

Women who seek out farang husbands--simply because they are farang--shouldn't be so ready to believe their friends stories of marital bliss.

After all, we've all walked past some tin-roof shanty with a BMW parked out front. That family may be in debt up to their eyeballs and skipping meals for their kids in order to pay for that car, but that doesn't matter to them as long as they LOOK wealthy when driving around town.

Similarly, a woman with a less-than-ideal farang husband is going to do her best to keep up appearances even if the reality of the marriage is hollow and unfulfilling.

They are not very young girls either.

Hate to say it, but sometimes there is a reason women become spinsters (ditto for men too). If they make it past 30 without getting married, it's probably due to a host of emotional/personal issues. That's not true in all the cases, but in many cases these women are not the pick of the litter and there's a reason why the local guys have avoided hitching up with them (they know better).

But good luck to the guys who travel to LOS to find a wife. It may not work out for many of them but perhaps some will meet the right woman and be very happy. There's no correct way to meet Mrs Right but all of us know that the way we did it is the best, don't we?  :o

You're right, there is no correct way to find Mrs Right, but there are certainly ways that are totally WRONG about 95% of the time.

It seems to me every where you travel in Thailand a girl will ask your misses to find them a farrang like the one they have.

There are 2 reasons I don't like this 1 is I am not an object ( bloody feminists).

The second (serious) reason, is that they are all looking for the holy grail of farangs, that perfect individual who will treat them like princesses dote over all their whims and carry them off to paradise and their own castle.

It is not just the farang looking to make a killing out of this system but also the Thai ladies. Even the quiet ones from the villages know that they are going to get a better lifesyle, and they also know that they may end up in a nightmare relationship, but they could end up in that with a Thai bloke.

People play the odds and hope it comes out in their favour. Lets face it if it doesn't work and your Thai wife walks out on you because you beat her she can go to court and get a load of your money and property, and good luck to her and so she should. If it doesn't work and the bloke walks out ditto.

I think the women from the villages are taking chances with their emotions and the men their money, if both are prepared to face the out come let them get on with it and may they all live in bliss (but probably not).

By the way I have a beautyful Thai wife and for me it has worked better than I have a right to expect, and you can't blame people for trying to find the kind of happiness we have. But the simple fact is this.

You don't need money or property to find happiness and the kind without must surely be a purer form of happiness

It seems to me that there are many, many assumptions and generalisations in this thread, including the original post. All of the usual buttons have been pressed haven't they? For example:

1. Money

6. Prostitution

There's barely a shred of evidence about the detail of what was going on in that village and, perhaps, all of the guys went home empty handed. But the thread, like so many others, has become a sounding board for the judgemental and prejudiced. 'If it ain't what I did it's disgusting, immoral, illegal' and so on. Can't people just be allowed to get on with their lives without being condemned? It's like listening to old ladies who watched Theroux in Thailand.

However, if we're allowing ourselves to generalise and judge, how about guessing at why those chaps went all the way to the village where their pal's wife came from? Perhaps they saw how happy the couple was. Perhaps they were fed up with going to a singles club or searching the dating websites only to find either a slapper or a bitter divorcee who wants to punish a new guy for what her ex did whilst looking forward to a pension she didn't earn. Sweeping statements can support any theory, can't they?

Condemning others who are different from us or have different cultural backgrounds from us is what causes wars. Don't we understand just from having Thai wives what it's like to be judged by the ignorant?

Seems to me his post is extremely reasonable.

Well..lets take 2 steps back.....

The asian prevailaing metality for desirable brides is...

1. Virginity

2. Good familly

3. Beauty

The western prevailing mentality for desirable brides is....

1. Youth/Beauty

2. Youth/Beauty

3. Youth/Beauty

So bearing this in mind.....

You are a thai girl who has been around the block once or twice..where do you stand the chance of getting a favorable marriage deal???????

Edited by toyicebear

i would recommend thai women as good wives and lots of fun but would definately not attemt to make any sort of business out of it. and coming from the same village = problems all round

So true...believe me.

SEX SLAVE SOUNDS NICE :o

Heeeeyyyyy...not tooo sound to pesimistic..most thai/falang marriages i know about end in divorce..but then again at that time she has gotten her new citizenship and combined with local alowances/child support...well she is set for life......

This does not go for all..its very country dependant..and there are plenty of sad sob stories out there too.....

ironically, given my involvement in the local christian community, this has happened to me as well (ever accidentally gotten engaged? I have): for example, one of the women (a fairly well off woman with 2 kids who's getting on in years) has asked me to find her a husband- thankfully her own age.

this is kind of a strange thing to be asked after a sermon about sexual purity, even if the sermon was in thai (which I don't fully understand).

How is it strange? She wanted a husband not a bf, so she would be having sex in a church sanctioned union. Isn't that what the church would want. (unless she is still married to the father of her two kids :o

Well..lets take 2 steps back.....

The asian prevailaing metality for desirable brides is...

1. Virginity

2. Good familly

3. Beauty

The western prevailing mentality for desirable brides is....

1. Youth/Beauty

2. Youth/Beauty

3. Youth/Beauty

So bearing this in mind.....

You are a thai girl who has been around the block once or twice..where do you stand the chance of getting a favorable marriage deal???????

Mmmm... there's a word to describe this, I know... :o

Oh yes, CRAP.

I agree completely.

The wife and I have been vacationing in LOS since 1995 and every year know matter where we go there is always some thai women, be it a maid , hair dresser, waitress or friend of the family wanting her to find them a farang husband. She is smart enough to know to stay out of it. She just tells them it took too much out of her to find me and she does not have the strength to find one for someone else.

Now she just tells them it's to hard and good luck with it.

PKG

1. Money

6. Prostitution

Seconded :D

The question was aimed at Stevesuphan....

Most of what you write in you last post is correct, the Overseas underage sex law in Oz is set at 16yo at a Federal level....it applies to all states. There maybe some laws that are variable from state to state but they are not relevent to this topic.

The thing here is you wouldnt have a client to defend because under the law he has not committed a crime. The whole point of this law is to prevent child prostitution, not to prevent people from having relationships.

Ok lets put this in a clearer picture..... :D

A Thai guy of say 25yo dates a 17yo Thai girl for say 3 weeks, he promises to look after her, gives her parents some gifts, buys her a gold chain to please her, hoping to have sex with her, she agrees to have sex with him. Under yours and Stevesuphans perception of the law he is guilty of procuring a child under 18yo for the purposes of having sex.

Now a 34yo farang spends a month in the village and starts seeing a 17yo girl while he is there, he gives her family some money and buys her a gift, he promises to send her money every month and consent is given by her to begin a sexual relationship.

Where is the difference except for the ages and the nationality and probably the value of the gifts ???

You are spot on, there is no difference even under the Thai Constitution. However there are many differences in perception, especially from the media, but also with police and judges that farangs are here for only one thing. Without a jury system, and with pressure from "Organisations" to clean up their act, I would not really want to be in a position to be charged under the Act, even if I believed I was within the law. I find it more difficult to defend the case as the guy was introduced with financial elements in this case, than if it was a guy meeting a girl who he happened to fancy when visiting a friend. Financial transactions, although innocent, are linked too readily to human traffic nowadays.

Although I was not a criminal lawyer, lots of my colleagues wouldn't have made much money if interpretation of the law had not taken their client to Court. Why would the police believe the guy automatically. There are bad people out there,they have previously liked Thailand,and they lie. :o

So, what you are saying is this, If a complaint is made then the police may charge you under their own interpretation of the law. This I would agree with :D

But I dont believe that it would happen, It would be unlikely that a complaint would be made. The family wouldnt complain, unless some serious mistreatment of the girl took place, why kill the golden goose before it lays the golden eggs. They would lose big face if they did that. Say the guy never kept his promises and didnt pursue the relationship after leaving, it is more than likely to be downplayed and the original guy who took his mates there may cop some grief but the family know that there is always a risk of this happening.

The Thai legal system while it has its problems is really quite efficient, as are the police. Unless the guy made some bad enemies in a short time, it would be unlikely to proceed beyond investigation.

I know one can never say never, but in this situation the chances of being charged let alone prosecuted would be par to being hit by a boomerang in Iceland. :D:D

Are we done now ??? :D

Yes! No closing arguments! Except my mate was in Iceland the other day and a funny thing happened :D

Things could be worse you could marry for love

Man Kills Daughters to Protest Marriage

A father angry that his eldest daughter married for love slit her throat as she slept, then killed three other daughters in a remote village in Pakistan. Nazir Ahmad, a laboror in his 40's, feared his younger girls, ages 4 to 12 would follow in their 25 year old sisters footsteps, police said. Ahmad surrendered to police in Burewala, about 70 miles east of Multan, in eastern Punjab province. Gol said the mans eldest daughter Muqadas Bibi, who had married the man of her choice against her fathers wishes several weeks ago, was killed during a reconciliation visit to her parents home.

Atlanta Journal Constitution page A9 Sunday Dec. 25

Takes parental control to a new low, but I'd bet it was money, or the lack of it paid to him by new husband, that set him off. Love can be dangerous

They are not very young girls either.

Hate to say it, but sometimes there is a reason women become spinsters (ditto for men too). If they make it past 30 without getting married, it's probably due to a host of emotional/personal issues. That's not true in all the cases, but in many cases these women are not the pick of the litter and there's a reason why the local guys have avoided hitching up with them (they know better).

Actually, in Thailand, a significant proportion of women who are "not the pick of the litter" as you say, have been impregnated and abandoned by Thai men. It is a cultural norm here that many Thai men will not marry a woman with someone else's child. So basically, you are judging women as "damaged goods" when in reality it is the society that they live in that has "damaged" them. In the West, Women have more options and can choose to marry later or not marry at all.

And as for making it past 30 without marrying, in the West one of the major factors is called "intelligence". There was a recent study within the last year that found a correlation between highly educated and/or high IQ women who remained unmarried.

What was the 'real' age of the girls? Several friends have talked before about 15 year old girls being offered for marriage in their village (not just to farangs either).

Strange society that we have chosen to live in.

More like strange world if you choose to see things that way. In virtually every country, girls are pumping out babies right from the age of puberty. When the hormones become active, so do people. The US complains a lot about age but the AOC in Hawaii is fourteen and I have heard that several of the southern states also still have very low ages of consent. Since there are so many Asians in Hawaii, if they seriously enforced the fourteen rule, they would have to build lots more prisons.

Since older men/younger women unions happen SO much throughout the world, why is it seen as strange or unnatural? Laws do not create human nature, just legislate against it and I, for one, am against most morality legislation.

If someone very young is being manipulated, used or abused, hopefully there are people who will step in to assist. But there are as many differences in relationship situations as there are relationships and generalizations work only when they do not affect the innocent or those who are truly/mutually interested in a loving coupling.

I have been through my share of villages in my many years of visiting and living in Thailand and know that even very young girls have the dream of 'handsome kind falang take me away'. Even here in Chiang Mai, there is a 15 in a local mini-mart who almost pees herself whenever I come in and follows me around like a puppy, blushing every moment. I don't know the Thai word for married but surely she has seen me in there with my lady - not to mention that it is probably obvious that I am 65 years of age.

Want a really young girl? Indian women in many places will hand you a daughter for free right after birth! They regularly drop them off like unwanted kittens by the thousands at local temples. Sad, and certainly strange to we outsiders but it is 'natural' human behavior and there are reasons that this happens whether we agree with them or not...

That's right, and in India and virtually every other country or society where girls are pumping out babies from the age of puberty and on, poverty prevails in a society that designates females to the bottom of the heap.

Laws and norms were instituted to protect women and girls from a life in many respects that was valued no more than a farm animal. It's called DEVELOPMENT, EDUCATION, and the ADVANCEMENT of women, girls, children and SOCIETY, and those who don't like it come to Asia or other economically disadvantaged socieities.

Strange coincidence that, huh :o

1. Money

6. Prostitution

Seconded :D

My age has @#$% all to do with it or my wifes age

If I wanted to push buttons I would have mention the chat I had with these guys and the country thay came from and age and attitude

you must like listening to old ladys or why else would you bother reading it ???

I dont have any problem with old farts with young Thai brides good luck to them

It was my wife and Thai friends that were complianing about it to start with and many other people in the village so I guess that cancels out the ignorant cultural backgrounds

It was the way it was done but the lady ofering farang husbands that pissed a lot of people of in the village

And your still a dick

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem that most of you are talking out of your ass. It only takes a few minutes to research the subject. The reality is this:

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 years of age

The age of consent for prostitution is 18 years of age

The exchange of gifts or money constitutes an act of prostitution

The legal marriageable age in Thailand is 17

To marry a girl between the ages of 15 and 17 one must appear before a juvenile court judge and have the courts consent to marry

Therefore, the man may provide financial assistance to the family only after he has married the girl, if the girl is over 15 years of age, but under 18 years of age.

And so it is entirely legal to marry a 15 year old girl, if one receives the courts consent.

If an individual remains within the confines of the law, where is the problem?

Zarathustra

Edited by Zarathustra

I like almost agree fully. :o But wasn't there something in the law that says that for prostitution to be prostitution it has to take place in a 'place of prostitution' such as a brothel, or, in a more liberal interpretation, the meet-up would need to take place in an entertainment place?

Needless to say, merely funding someone's education or buying some paint for mum's house does not prostitution make. Thai law actually seems pretty common-sense on those things.

It would seem that most of you are talking out of your ass. It only takes a few minutes to research the subject. The reality is this:

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 years of age

The age of consent for prostitution is 18 years of age

The legal marriageable age in Thailand is 17

To marry a girl between the ages of 15 and 17 one must appear before a juvenile court judge and have the courts consent to marry

Therefore, the man may provide financial assistance to the family only after he has married the girl, if the girl is over 15 years of age, but under 18 years of age.

And so it is entirely legal to marry a 15 year old girl, if one receives the courts consent.

If an individual remains within the confines of the law, where is the problem?

Zarathustra

You are correct of course, whilst putting it rather bluntly for a first post :o However perhaps you have more experience than my 25 years visiting and living here, in which time I've never come across no intamacy, and no money or gifts before marriage where farangs are concerned. I have heard there are such people around, just they don't seem to come to Thailand :D

I like almost agree fully. :o But wasn't there something in the law that says that for prostitution to be prostitution it has to take place in a 'place of prostitution' such as a brothel, or, in a more liberal interpretation, the meet-up would need to take place in an entertainment place?

Needless to say, merely funding someone's education or buying some paint for mum's house does not prostitution make. Thai law actually seems pretty common-sense on those things.

There is no specification for place of meeting to regard it as prostitution. Recently guy done in Bangkok for under age sex with a student(over 15). She admitted he gave her money and he was done.

In your final paragraph it may seem common sense, but then isn't paint for the parents house and education a lot of what a working girl's money goes on. Or is it OK if you give it direct to the parents?

...I really don't understand why "falans" should come to Thailand to marry...

...why don't simply look for a beautiful maid and pay her decently every month for take care you, cooking, clean home etc. etc....it's far away better than have a so-called Thai wife that claim money for family and limit your freedom...

...doing so you have someone who take care you and you're free to do everything you want...and you don't have any problems!!!!

Zarathustra

An exchange of gifts or money for an act of sex is prostituition.....

I would hope that I never get charged for giving my gf's son and her niece gifts when I was last there, BTW I gave some gifts to her sisters too and her Mum and Dad......... :o:D

...why don't simply look for a beautiful maid and pay her decently every month for take care you, cooking, clean home etc. etc....it's far away better than have a so-called Thai wife that claim money for family and limit your freedom...

...doing so you have someone who take care you and you're free to do everything you want...and you don't have any problems!!!!

The only comment I can make on this post is ....................

NO COMMENT!!!!!!

Bit tragic thats for sure for both partys.

Illiterate farm girl marrys broken down old falang.

Why...for her A better future,a sacrfice to feed the family.

For him live in housemaid and sex slave.

I think that's an unfair way to generalize farangs who are old. Are they all borken down? Are you sure that old man farangs look for brides to be housemaids and sex slaves.

Personally, I'm not incline to believe that.

no they dont even have to be old.......believe me there are younger men doing at it as well.........

no Pudgimelon you don´t hate it otherwise you would have not said it... :o

where did you get this nonsense from?

I am sorry but I am offended by your statement .I am nearly 30 not married but i don´t think i have a personal or emotional issue...I haven´t found my partner yet that´s all.

why you have look for a childhood problem, deficiency or something like that to explain why we are not married?

OMG how can you be so mean...

:o Glauka:

Don't let the comments on these threads shake you too much. You must remember, the majority of these men are married in THAILAND; a corpse with a brain tumor and every reject the world over can come to Thailand and find a wife.

It is also a fact that a large proportion of Western women now delay marriage by choice and out of their own interests. So, before you let any of the comments on these threads affect you, remember where and by whom they're coming from :D

what bollax you talk....when I came to los the LAST thing on my mind was marriage