Anybody Know About Thai Paint ?

P76

Whats going on with paint here?

I got the exterior of a concrete house painted years ago, Paint just went straight on, no primer, sealer, nothing. Later tuned out to be interior paint that was used.

Got some steel gates painted recently, painted with metal primer and then was told job was complete. I tried to tell them they need a top coat of suitable paint, "no, thats how we do it here"

Got my wife to talk to guy in paint shop, he seems to nothing about paint either.

I now have a wall made of breeze blocks and want to get it painted. It has not been painted previously. I plan to pressure wash it first. Can anyone tell me what I should be using here to paint it? What is the best brand here?

Primers, masonary sealers, sanding sealers, exterior paints etc. are all available but your average Thai painter will not use them. Too much work or too expensive I am guessing. Buy the proper stuff yourself and make them use it, or just paint yourself.

As for brands I have used Dulux and Berger and they have gone on nicely and held up fine. The Dulux interior paint I used in our salon was underwater for 5 weeks during the flood and only peeled off the wall in a few places. But I did sand and wash the walls before painting, not something a Thai 'expert' painter would normally do!

I have found the TOA primer and color to be excellent. That's the kind sold in Home Pro/Global. They also sell crap in the local shops but there is a "name" difference (that I can't remember at the moment). ie: TOA high end is great (in my opinion) but the low end is crap. For the normal masonry walls, I have used the primer diluted 10% (just b/c it goes on easier) followed by at least 2 coats of the color undiluted. So far (2 years running) still looks great.

TOA Primer and then any acrylic exterior paint. Buy the paint youself. The larger TOA shops are far less expensive than Homepro or Homeworks.

Least expensive but ok brand is LENA.

For the fence, I prefer slightly expensive Rust-o-leum, the one that can go straight on, without primer.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have just painted in and out of a building and went through all kinds of crap - mostly from the paint 'reps' in the DIY stores who many wouldn't know paint from coca-cola. And often I received the feeling that I am just a stupid farang - what would I know! (evidently more than they did)

I went once and had copied all the codes and bar-codes off a used paint tin and took it to the shop - and the assistant assured me that that number was not 'Dulux Inspire' - despite me copying the number letter for letter correctly and on the used tin it said - 'Dulux Inspire' !

Anyway, my recommendation is Dulux - everytime. Its good quality and takes less coats than other brands.

You have to select a 'base' first (int or ext) then get them to mix what colour you want into that base. Its just a few baht per colour extra to add to the white and I have had consistent results. Homepro tend to be cheaper than HomeWorks.

Homepro try hard to push Nippon paint. I tried it when I was starting for the simple reason the staff told me you can buy Nippon (ready mixed colours) at Every Homepro in Thailand: he lied.

He also told me it was one of the best quality wise: again he lied (and it smells terrible too)

When I went back and changed to Dulux brand - the other staff smiled when I told them and they informed me that Homepro have a contract with Nippon and try to push it to customers and when asked about why it took 4 coats compared to only 2 with Dulux, the staff whispered to me that Homepro buy lower quality Nippon Paint for their Homepro stores. !

Their method of selling paint here is very different than going to a stored choosing your colour and kind of finish (matt, silk or gloss). You have to get the base first and that can be confusing (Base, A, B, A1 B2 etc ...) It helps to find a good member of staff who seems to know his stuff and speaks English and use him for all your purchases - as most of the paint staff clearly have no idea about paint, and will steer you in the direction of that with the highest commission table.

And finally, of course - preparation is everything.

• 2 weeks later...

if you are painting a house then dont use TOA it is low on pigment so takes more coats to get a good finish!!!

the TOA epxoy paints have advantages if you want to do a cheap epoxy floor as it is a very thin paint with good pigment so a little goes a long way.

dont even go near Nippon!!!!

I personaly use Jotan it covers well high pigment good finish and you can get the colors mixed at most places,

if you are getting a house painted remember to get your paint from the same machine, dont go to different stores to get the same color as you will find that the machines can vary a little with the mixes.

there is a great paint place under the BTS at Thong Lo

Also be careful if using Thai's for interior/external painting as many want to excessively dilute the paint with thinners/water. As stated buy the paint yourself and must supervise if using Thai 's for the actual painting, especially for any preperation work

I like TOA

All brands of paint have different quality levels. Stay away from emmoltion paints.

But in the end you get what you pay for

for exterior I use TOA Super shield. 15 year warrenty I use a semi gloss finish, easier to clean than matt or flat.

A primer is needed on new walls

What area are you located in. I know good quality Emglsih speaking painters

Chok Dee

I like TOA

All brands of paint have different quality levels. Stay away from emmoltion paints.

But in the end you get what you pay for

for exterior I use TOA Super shield. 15 year warrenty I use a semi gloss finish, easier to clean than matt or flat.

A primer is needed on new walls

What area are you located in. I know good quality Emglsih speaking painters

Chok Dee

TOA

Jotun

International

are all reputable brands...as with most things in life you get what you pay for...buy cheap paid...enough said