Best Bank & Interest Rate For 800'000.- Baht-Account

re .

I wish I could open one at TMB in CM, both unfortunately make it just too difficult for a farang

no they dont !

i opend one in pattaya on a tourist visa in 04

one in chiang moi road in 05 and another at airport plaza in 06

also a krung thai one in 07 and bangkok bank in 09 without any problems

try asking again : )

dave2.

Interesting how we all have different experiences with these things, can I ask, did you have a work permit in order to open your account in CM? Also, did you already have your TMB account in Pattaya before opening at TMB CM?

I tried to open an account at TMB on Chan Klan a couple of months ago and it was a dreadful experience, the manager called head office and spent ten minutes on the phone before mumbling "farang cannot open account here", I wanted to debate the finer points of banking with the man but clearly I would have got nowehere. Mt next stop was TMB at Airport Plaza where I was hit with the repeated message, it's really really difficult for farang" (to open an account here). Eventually I just gave up and went elsewhere. Much earlier I had tried the TMB on the road that runs along the East side of the river, near to the ring road, there I was told that if no work permit, "cannot". Not a big deal really but it would make spreading funds around just that bit easier.

BTW: I've just re read your post, I have no problems opening accounts with other Thai banks, I've held accounts at krungthai, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and others for many years and interestingly, I always take along those passbooks when applying at TMB, just to try to add some credibility to my application.

How did it go at immigration?

MM fund book with funds transferred to deposit account at the last minute, well last three days, is fully acceptable for extensions of stay?

or not?

I don't know I haven't been yet, they were closed Monday because of the holiday and I spent yesterday fighting with HSBC Bangkok trying desparately to close my account and get my funds transfered to BAY in CM (without sucess). I'm not sure if I will get there today because the account transfer issue is my priority, but rest assured I will get there because I need the re-entry visa for an upcomming holiday but it may take a day or too - I also want to understand their answer.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the difference in word order, the Thai version says that the money should have been in the account for 3 months (and in the case of the first year of showing the balances 2 months), which was slightly more detailed than the English version which hadn't been fully translated and just had the one stipulation and no mention of first year. I believe the 2 months for 1st year is a concession for newbies... but I wouldn't want to rely on it, and I'd stick with the norm of 3 months.

[N.B. Thai wife extention is THB 400k vs THB 800k for retirement - the above applies to Thai wife and although one expects it would be the same types of account for retirement, you have to remember T.I.T]

My own take would be that as long as the account on the name page says "ออมทรัพย์" or "ประจำ" and has been there for 3 months at the date you're applying the account would be OK. I would be very surprised if money market accounts were accepted.

smile.png

For retirement the seasoning requirement is 2 months for the first extension and 3 months for subsequent ones.

For mariage to a Thai the seasoning requirement is 2 months for both first and subsequent extensions.

Sophon

Could well be smile.png The document I was given last year though for "Thai wife" extension said in Thai 2 months for extension for first year and 3 months for subsequent years. It was definitely for Thai wife and the amount was 400k.

I had another quick look on their website and now there seems no difference and it's 2 months in both cases (no diff mentioned in 1st vs subsequent years), both Thai and English. As you say, just says 2 months:

http://bangkok.immig...se.php?page=faq (question 16)

http://bangkok.immig...se.php?page=faq (question 35)

given you're never quite sure which version is correct, and this type of thing is common, plus the officer on the day works to what they believe the rule is or what they've always done is why I'd suggest 3 months to be safe.

Terms like "seasoning" "accessible" etc don't seem to have been in the official versions, and are other people's translations I guess. Thai is a somewhat simple language in many areas of vocab, business and grammar, and when people translate to English they often use words which have nuances in English not there in Thai. Now if you're talking wives and food (both of which are rich in Thai vocabulary) then Thai has the nuances and English is simpler!

I would recommend against using the FAQ as your source of information. The answers in the FAQ are one persons attempt to explain the rules in a simplified manner, and often the person ends up simplifying too much or simply doing a bad job.

If you go to the Immigration Bureaus main website and click on "Criteria and Codition of Temporary Stay" (the spelling mistake is not mine, that is how it's spelled on the webpage) you can then download the actual rules in a PDF-file via the link "1. Criteria and Conditons for Consideration of an Alien's Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand".

The rules say this about extensions based on retirement:

post-5469-0-05062900-1336019171_thumb.jp

and this for marriage:

post-5469-0-25706200-1336019231_thumb.jp

After the seasoning requirements were introduced some immigration offices believed that there were a mistake in the wording for marriage extensions and used the same "2 months first time and 3 months subsequently" as described in the rules for retirement extensions. But from reports here on Thaivisa it seems that the a message was sent a while back from the Immigration Department to apply the rules as written, and two months should now be generaly accepted. Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't one or two local immigration offices "who didn't get the memo".

Sophon

• Like 1

Darrel, can you recall where you got this idea from, was it Immigration or just something someone said?

Someone at Jomtien Immigration told me and everyone I have heard of who has had trouble here has had it with a deposit that wasnt immediately accessible. Other offices may be different, of course.

I suspect that mutual funds would also not be acceptable as the value could have dropped below the purchase price.

I tried to open an account at TMB on Chan Klan a couple of months ago and it was a dreadful experience, the manager called head office and spent ten minutes on the phone before mumbling "farang cannot open account here", I wanted to debate the finer points of banking with the man but clearly I would have got nowehere. Mt next stop was TMB at Airport Plaza where I was hit with the repeated message, it's really really difficult for farang" (to open an account here). Eventually I just gave up and went elsewhere. Much earlier I had tried the TMB on the road that runs along the East side of the river, near to the ring road, there I was told that if no work permit, "cannot". Not a big deal really but it would make spreading funds around just that bit easier.

They did the same with me, until I asked why their website was in English ..... I now have two accounts with them.

In the end they settled for seeing my long term Visa and the application countersigned by a Thai citizen.

They also had a little problem with my letter to immigration. I gave them a previous years letter from SCB and they copied it.

http://www.tmbbank.com/personal/deposits/nofixed/tmb-no-fixed-account-en.php

Click on Documents required at bottom of page ...... Thai ID card or ID card issued by government agency (Driving license)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

They did the same with me, until I asked why their website was in English ..... I now have two accounts with them.

In the end they settled for seeing my long term Visa and the application countersigned by a Thai citizen.

They also had a little problem with my letter to immigration. I gave them a previous years letter from SCB and they copied it.

http://www.tmbbank.c...-account-en.php

Click on Documents required at bottom of page ...... Thai ID card or ID card issued by government agency (Driving license)

I wonder if the Thai citizen who countersigned your application has any rights?

Using the story "oh the Farang can't speak Thai and asked me to help"

- Can he go in and find out how much is in your account?

- Can he even withdraw money?

Otherwise what was the purpose of countersigning?

I had this issue with another parochial bank, the CIMB, I said that if I need a Thai to countersign my application, then I'm not opening an account.

Otherwise what was the purpose of countersigning?

On my form they signed a space that stated 'I know this person and can confirm this is their true address' (in Thai)

One of the problems that most foreigners have with Thai officialdom is no housebook to produce, and everywhere wants ID and housebook.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

re .

I wish I could open one at TMB in CM, both unfortunately make it just too difficult for a farang

no they dont !

i opend one in pattaya on a tourist visa in 04

one in chiang moi road in 05 and another at airport plaza in 06

also a krung thai one in 07 and bangkok bank in 09 without any problems

try asking again : )

dave2.

Interesting how we all have different experiences with these things, can I ask, did you have a work permit in order to open your account in CM? Also, did you already have your TMB account in Pattaya before opening at TMB CM?

BTW: I've just re read your post, I have no problems opening accounts with other Thai banks, I've held accounts at krungthai, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and others for many years and interestingly, I always take along those passbooks when applying at TMB, just to try to add some credibility to my application.

How did it go at immigration?

MM fund book with funds transferred to deposit account at the last minute, well last three days, is fully acceptable for extensions of stay?

or not?

I don't know I haven't been yet, they were closed Monday because of the holiday and I spent yesterday fighting with HSBC Bangkok trying desparately to close my account and get my funds transfered to BAY in CM (without sucess). I'm not sure if I will get there today because the account transfer issue is my priority, but rest assured I will get there because I need the re-entry visa for an upcomming holiday but it may take a day or too - I also want to understand their answer.

And if you've read my post in the HSBC phishing thread you'll see that I haven't been there today either. But I did have a nice day trip to Bangkok, no thanks to HSBC! I'll try and get it done before the weekend but at this rate, no promises..

chiang mai .

re .. can I ask, did you have a work permit in order to open your account in CM? Also, did you already have your TMB account in Pattaya before opening at TMB CM?

no ive never had a work permit as i retired the middle of 04 arrived in chiang mai in apri 05

and havnt done a thing except enjoy myself since : )

and yes i did have the pattaya account when i arrived and opend an account just along from

johns place but they closed it about two years later and transfered my account to chang moi

road where it still is

dave2

ps . i opend a bank of ayudhya account in thapae road on monday ... again with no problems

pps .. my old bank near johns place is about to become .................... a skin care clinic ................

as if we dont have enough of those : (

post-42592-0-58207000-1336053071_thumb.j

chiang mai .

re .. can I ask, did you have a work permit in order to open your account in CM? Also, did you already have your TMB account in Pattaya before opening at TMB CM?

no ive never had a work permit as i retired the middle of 04 arrived in chiang mai in apri 05

and havnt done a thing except enjoy myself since : )

and yes i did have the pattaya account when i arrived and opend an account just along from

johns place but they closed it about two years later and transfered my account to chang moi

road where it still is

dave2

ps . i opend a bank of ayudhya account in thapae road on monday ... again with no problems

pps .. my old bank near johns place is about to become .................... a skin care clinic ................

as if we dont have enough of those : (

That makes sence, I suspect it's much easier to open an account at TMB Pattaya than it is in CM, as indeed it would be in Bangkok - once you have one account with them the subsequent accounts are probably easy to open because they can't really say no. It's all about the CM mentality in banks here I'm afraid.

I would recommend against using the FAQ as your source of information. The answers in the FAQ are one persons attempt to explain the rules in a simplified manner, and often the person ends up simplifying too much or simply doing a bad job.

If you go to the Immigration Bureaus main website and click on "Criteria and Codition of Temporary Stay" (the spelling mistake is not mine, that is how it's spelled on the webpage) you can then download the actual rules in a PDF-file via the link "1. Criteria and Conditons for Consideration of an Alien's Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand".

and this for marriage:

After the seasoning requirements were introduced some immigration offices believed that there were a mistake in the wording for marriage extensions and used the same "2 months first time and 3 months subsequently" as described in the rules for retirement extensions. But from reports here on Thaivisa it seems that the a message was sent a while back from the Immigration Department to apply the rules as written, and two months should now be generaly accepted. Of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't one or two local immigration offices "who didn't get the memo".

Sophon

Looks a useful doc. Thanks.

The problem with it, is that it shows only the basic rules = "criteria for consideration". It would be quite easy for someone to comply with this and still not have their visa approved or at least be asked to come back with more docs. It doesn't deal with the application and implementation of the rules, and the actual docs required.

Some examples:

- it doesn't mention that photos of the family are required or that a map of the residence is needed

- no mention that the spouse must accompany the applicant

- states simply "proof of relationship". Hence you'd assume a marriage cert is enough as proof of relationship. Actually they need both the kor lor 2 and 3 not just the certificate + spouses house registration book + spouse ID card + affidavit of eligibility to marry etc

That's why people turn to the FAQ's and other docs, which unfortunately often conflict. Unfortunately you can't rely on any one single doc.

:)

I had no problems opening accounts at Kbank, TMB and CIMB in Pattaya/Jomtien.

I produced the usual ID; passport with long visa, receipt/lease for room showing the address. No more.

I had no problems opening accounts at Kbank, TMB and CIMB in Pattaya/Jomtien.

I produced the usual ID; passport with long visa, receipt/lease for room showing the address. No more.

Sure, it's tourist central so bank staff are used to it, a little bit different in the North where there's not nearly as many tourists, slowly though things are changing on that front.

and this for marriage:

Sophon

Looks a useful doc. Thanks.

The problem with it, is that it shows only the basic rules = "criteria for consideration". It would be quite easy for someone to comply with this and still not have their visa approved or at least be asked to come back with more docs. It doesn't deal with the application and implementation of the rules, and the actual docs required.

Some examples:

- it doesn't mention that photos of the family are required or that a map of the residence is needed

- no mention that the spouse must accompany the applicant

- states simply "proof of relationship". Hence you'd assume a marriage cert is enough as proof of relationship. Actually they need both the kor lor 2 and 3 not just the certificate + spouses house registration book + spouse ID card + affidavit of eligibility to marry etc

That's why people turn to the FAQ's and other docs, which unfortunately often conflict. Unfortunately you can't rely on any one single doc.

smile.png

The FAQ's usually show even less information. By reading the rules you know the formal requirements, after that you can then look for addtional information in FAQ's and the likes but they should not be your only source of information.

By far the best ressource as to what is required is reading the posts on this forum, that way you get both the information about the formal requirements as wel as what supporting documents is required at your local immigration office. It's also the reason why questions about visa/extension requirements should be posted in the Thai Visa forum where the experts are and not in local forums or like this one in the "Jobs, Economy etc" forum.

Sophon

• Like 1

Bangkok Bank 4 month fix at 2.62% or BAY at 3.20% for 5 months are about the best I have seen, I wouldn't fix for much longer than five months because rates will almost certainly rise in the second half of the year.

Bangkok Bank 4 month fix at 2.62% or BAY at 3.20% for 5 months are about the best I have seen

CIMB beat both of those at 3.3% for 5 months.

Otherwise you can get between 2.5 and 3% from instant access accounts (CIMB, StanChart, MeByTMB, Thanachart).

Bangkok Bank 4 month fix at 2.62% or BAY at 3.20% for 5 months are about the best I have seen

CIMB beat both of those at 3.3% for 5 months.

Otherwise you can get between 2.5 and 3% from instant access accounts (CIMB, StanChart, MeByTMB, Thanachart).

Good to know, I hadn't seen those. But wasn't Thanachart one of the original finance houses that caused the crash of '97, until they got bailed out and rebadged?

But wasn't Thanachart one of the original finance houses that caused the crash of '97, until they got bailed out and rebadged?

No idea. Never put more into anything than you can afford to lose, and hope that some sort of insurance might cover you if it all goes belly up.

Before making snide remarks you should understand the problem being discussed in detail:

LOL.

A fixed term depsoit that can be encashed with loss of interest, prior to the end of the term, meets that rule, as does the encashment of a Money Market fund three days before the visa is applied for

LOL. Not the MM fund. Naively, you don't understand that--but Immigration mostly does. Your money was and is not guaranteed available at any time in a MM fund. In fact you don't have any money during the time you're invested. What you have are shares.

Shareholders in The Reserve Primary Fund, for example, discovered this little reality.

Immigration wants the government bank deposit insurance guarantee for the period. OBVIOUSLY.

Hence if you (foolishly) wanna try it, as 12D said, would be best to check w/ the Imm officer more than the 3 months in advance. And you'd certainly have nothing to lose by doing that. And in the unlikely event he/she says your MM is OK for the purpose, better hope you get the same officer when you apply and hope the officer understood you correctly the first time, as Imm officers that you deal with don't understand funds anyway. They understand bank deposits.

But what's the point? And why waste time arguing about the supposed irrationality or policies of Thai Immigration? A bank savings or bank fixed deposit acct works every time, you go to the Imm office w/ nothing to worry about, you're finished in an hour so, done. SO utterly simple a child of retirement age should be able to do it w/ no problem. There's actually nothing to "debate." It's perfectly clear.

Think you're just trolling or enjoy being perverse, chiang mai.

It was an almost throw away comment in my post number 47 that started with, "BTW, there's also the MM option..." that initiated this debate on MM and subsequently the subject seems to have developed a life of its own. I have to say I really didn't care at the outset whether the MM product is or is not suitable for visa extention purposes, but the answer to that question is becomming more interesting to know.

Indeed I am aware of the nature and details of the MM product, that there are no guarantees and that the owner holds shares not cash, the point is whether the product can be sucessfully used. I'm niether trolling nor being pervasive on this point when I suggest that a MM passbook in theory looks like it could be suitable, even if it does not stand up to legal scrutiny - an initial entry showing money deposited, periodic inbound payments and then encashment after some months, before the visa extention date and the original funds are truly available and the seasoning requirement has been met.

But is this some form of confidence trick or slieght of hand played onto the Immigration Dept by an "unscrupulous" customer, probably although there's no victim so no harm done.

One of the reasons why I would like to get to the bottom of this issue is because I am running out of banking options in Thailand or even globally. One of my offshore UK banks is closing and I now have more funds to spread around and I'm not prepared to invest too heavily in any single bank, particularly in Thailand. So the more banks I can get an onboard the better. Get a fixed rate I hear you say, indeed, but I need a specific balance between fixed and instant cash whilst of course wanting to obtain the highest safe returns I can. But now that Darell has pointed me at CIMB and an instant rate of 2.75% my needs may have been met, regardless, I will go see Immigration and report what they have to say, as soon as I can.

Indeed I am aware of the nature and details of the MM product, that there are no guarantees and that the owner holds shares not cash, the point is whether the product can be sucessfully used. I'm niether trolling nor being pervasive on this point when I suggest that a MM passbook in theory looks like it could be suitable, even if it does not stand up to legal scrutiny - an initial entry showing money deposited, periodic inbound payments and then encashment after some months, before the visa extention date and the original funds are truly available and the seasoning requirement has been met.

The problem with mutual funds is that just because it says 800K in the book doesnt mean that you actually have 800K on any particular day. OK, money market funds are in theory more stable than stocks and shares funds, but even so the value could drop. As such I dont see how they could be suitable for proving your worth in the same way as a deposit or savings account book does.

Add to that the question of deposit guarantees; 800K in a bank account is guaranteed by the Thai government and as such is presumably even more acceptable for immigration.

. . . I suggest that a MM passbook in theory looks like it could be suitable, even if it does not stand up to legal scrutiny - an initial entry showing money deposited, periodic inbound payments and then encashment after some months, before the visa extention date and the original funds are truly available and the seasoning requirement has been met.

No. You see, all passbooks are not created equal. And under NO theory whatsoever does a MM passbook even look like it could be suitable. Period. And it very plainly does NOT stand up to legal scrutiny. What's legal is spelled out on the Thai Immigration site. Follow those rules and you get the visa/extension. Otherwise, you don't.

One of the reasons why I would like to get to the bottom of this issue

We got to the bottom of this imaginary "issue," which is mostly an issue about you, many posts back. Now, being at the bottom already, there's just nowhere further down to go, pal. Sorry! Time to start climbing back out o' the hole.

Thank you, but hey--don't take my word for it. Go directly to the source, man:

22. Question : What is the required age of the alien wisthing to stay in Thailand with the reason of Retirement?

Answer : For reasons to stay of Retirement, the alien must be 50 year of age or older and must have been granted a Non-Immigrant visa, firstly. More over, the said alien must have evidences to verify his/her financial status of not less than 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht per year. Evidences showing financial support are as follows;

1. In case of having money in the bank account (Saving/Fix deposit) of any bank located in Thailand.

- The updated bank passbook on the date of application submission showing money in the account of not less than 800,000 Baht which has been deposited and consecutively held of such amount for 3 months. ( Except the first application for this reason, that such amount should be deposited and held for 60 days)

- Letter from the bank certified the current account in the bank of not less than 800,000 Baht; or

2.2 In case of having any other income from abroad such as pension, social welfare

- Letter from the applicant’s Embassy or consulate in Thailand verifying their pension or other income of the applicant which must not be less than 65,000 Baht per month. Or;

2.3 In case of a combination of having money in the bank account and income from pension, with total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht per year, the required documents are the same as mentioned in 2.1and 2.2

http://bangkok.immig...se.php?page=faq

A MM account isn't a bank account. Money isn't deposited into an MM account and you don't have any money on deposit there. Any fool can plainly see that an MM "passbook" isn't a bank deposit account passbook, so it cannot possibly meet the requirements stated above. Imagine what you will, but imagining and wishing ain't gonna get you that visa/extension. Now, you can try bribery, but it's unlikely to be cost effective--if it works, as it surely won't in this case.

Edited by JSixpack

Who would have thought that such a humble and innocent topic could generate so much aggression and confrontation!

And go to the source I shall and when I have the answer from an Immigration officer, not from you, I'll post the response, regardless of what it is, so that everyone is aware. In the meantime I believe I will withdraw from this debate which seems to be becomming unecessarily aggressive and I've no desire to be drawn in.

A note on CIMB accounts at 2.75%: this product requires the account holder to open a Mutal Fund Account or to take out a Bill of Exchange at the time the savings account is opened, it's therefore a bundled product and probably not suitable for most people, not for me at least.

A note on CIMB accounts at 2.75%: this product requires the account holder to open a Mutal Fund Account or to take out a Bill of Exchange at the time the savings account is opened, it's therefore a bundled product and probably not suitable for most people, not for me at least.

You worry too much.

I opened one of these Speed Savings 2.75% accounts. My minimum purchase on the associated Mutual Fund Account was a one-off 1000B which went into some sort of accumulating SET tracker. No fees involved either at purchase or sale, and a 1% yearly fee. So what have I got to lose?

You worry too much.

I opened one of these Speed Savings 2.75% accounts. My minimum purchase on the associated Mutual Fund Account was a one-off 1000B which went into some sort of accumulating SET tracker. No fees involved either at purchase or sale, and a 1% yearly fee. So what have I got to lose?

Your're right, I didn't realise the MF threshold is that low, I expected something much higher.

So did I actually, until I asked the cashier about it.

Currently there are two tracker funds (I'm not completely sure what they track so no one should take this as an investment recommendation, but it seems to be part or all of the SET) one distributing and one accumulating, and these have a 1000B minimum.

There are also a few other funds that have a 5000B minimum, some of which are quite adventurous.

So did I actually, until I asked the cashier about it.

Currently there are two tracker funds (I'm not completely sure what they track so no one should take this as an investment recommendation, but it seems to be part or all of the SET) one distributing and one accumulating, and these have a 1000B minimum.

There are also a few other funds that have a 5000B minimum, some of which are quite adventurous.

I went to open one today but since it's a holiday I have to go back tomorrow, the requirement now is for minimum 10K in the mutal fund so perhaps it's changed since you opened.