Best Bank & Interest Rate For 800'000.- Baht-Account

I don't believe that Immigration Dept really cares if your funds weren't available yesterday, when you go to extend your visa, they only care that the funds are available today and in many cases, I suspect they will not make a big deal out of fixed rate products nor realise that they are such. For example, I have 1 mill in a five month bond that comes by way of a passbook and there's nothing in that book anywhere that suggests the funds are not immediately available.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the issue of the potential suitabaility of funds held in term-deposit accounts perhaps refer to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541176-800k-for-retirement-visa-can-it-be-held-in-term-investment see post #5 from Daveroc at BKK Bank. If this is the answer they are getting then it really does come down to the officer you are dealing with

• Like 1

On the issue of the potential suitabaility of funds held in term-deposit accounts perhaps refer to http://www.thaivisa....term-investment see post #5 from Daveroc at BKK Bank. If this is the answer they are getting then it really does come down to the officer you are dealing with

That's useful, thanks.

On the issue of the potential suitabaility of funds held in term-deposit accounts perhaps refer to http://www.thaivisa....term-investment see post #5 from Daveroc at BKK Bank. If this is the answer they are getting then it really does come down to the officer you are dealing with

I remember that thread...........

I guess it is just another one of the idiosyncrasies that it comes down... as always... to what the office your dealing with deems legal.

They don't make it easy do they ;)

So then Immigration does not allow any seasoned funds that are in time deposits even if they

are the type that can be withdrawn? ( with interest penalty )

I don't believe that's the case, I feel certain that 12D is being overly negative, again!

That's not what 12D said. And he gave good and prudent advice.

Reading this thread I'm surprised many posters could've ever held a job paying well enough for them to amass 800K baht.

So then Immigration does not allow any seasoned funds that are in time deposits even if they

are the type that can be withdrawn? ( with interest penalty )

I don't believe that's the case, I feel certain that 12D is being overly negative, again!

Reading this thread I'm surprised many posters could've ever held a job paying well enough for them to amass 800K baht.

Before making snide remarks you should understand the problem being discussed in detail:

Funds have to be seasoned and they have to be "available" at the time the visa extention is applied for, I have not seen anywhere that those funds must be "immediately available" although that is not hugely important at this stage. Funds that are "available" implies the applicant must have funds on deposit, if the term is "available" only then that can mean in a time deposit that continues during the visa extention process.

But if the term is "immediately available" that changes things slightly. A fixed term depsoit that can be encashed with loss of interest, prior to the end of the term, meets that rule, as does the encashment of a Money Market fund three days before the visa is applied for, nowhere have I read that the funds on deposit must be seasoned for three months AND immediately available throughout that period, that in my view would be illogical and plain silly.

Perhaps someone would post a source to clarify whether the expression used is "available" or immediately available" and perhaps we can wrap this up, notwithstanding the caveat that the rules at each location may be varied and also by individual officers within each location.

As it's described in both Thai and English as a "savings account" I believe it will qualify for Visa purposes. Haven't tried it yet at immigration as last year used another. Will be trying it this week tho smile.png

Fletch

smile.png

Please report back if you can

Thanks

Happy to report that the account was fine for immigration purposes :)

• Like 1

Before making snide remarks you should understand the problem being discussed in detail:

Funds have to be seasoned and they have to be "available" at the time the visa extention is applied for, I have not seen anywhere that those funds must be "immediately available" although that is not hugely important at this stage. Funds that are "available" implies the applicant must have funds on deposit, if the term is "available" only then that can mean in a time deposit that continues during the visa extention process.

But if the term is "immediately available" that changes things slightly. A fixed term depsoit that can be encashed with loss of interest, prior to the end of the term, meets that rule, as does the encashment of a Money Market fund three days before the visa is applied for, nowhere have I read that the funds on deposit must be seasoned for three months AND immediately available throughout that period, that in my view would be illogical and plain silly.

Perhaps someone would post a source to clarify whether the expression used is "available" or immediately available" and perhaps we can wrap this up, notwithstanding the caveat that the rules at each location may be varied and also by individual officers within each location.

Here is my experience based a number of years.

1. A normal deposit account is fine, you have to have over 800k the whole time. If it slips below then it is a problem.

2. A fixed term deposit is fine.

3. A MM deposit is NOT fine, I was refused an extension with this, but managed through being polite, profuse apologies and a bit of tea money to get the extension. But with the warning "not the next time".

Now, you are trying to make some HUGE argument about what a phrase means. Notwithstanding that the original requirement will be written in Thai, and that a Farang's interpretation of an English translation will NOT hold any water when sitting in front of the immigration official. That official is the LAW and you are dealing with THAT person. You can try and reason, or worse, insist that you are correct, it will serve NO purpose and you will simply harden the attitude of the official.

The requirement is that 800k is held in an account for three months prior to the application of a visa extension. We have almost agreed (I think) that an MM account is not valid, it is certainly not valid where I am and I believe that other immigration offices will not accept it. Your suggestion of transferring 800k into a deposit account a couple of days before the visa application will, IMO, simply lead to the problem that the money has not been in that account for the three months.

Presumably at that point you will show the (unacceptable) MM passbook, and start off on the above argument you wrote above.

Honestly, making things complicated and then trying to argue with a Thai official is a totally unnecessary stress. And a waste of time. You will NEVER win. But, of course, you can then go and console yourself over a few beers, saying how stupid the Thais are, and then head off to Malaysia to get a tourist visa, which you can then convert to a non-imm visa using the 800k in the deposit account, and then come back a write a few posts on TV.

But your last sentence is key

notwithstanding the caveat that the rules at each location may be varied and also by individual officers within each location.

Right, so what on earth was wrong with my original suggestion of going to your local immigration office and asking?

Indeed, maybe you could pop down and ask at your local immigration office and post the answer here?

Jeeze, can I have those last ten minutes of my life back?

If people follow my advice, there are NO issues.

If people follow your advice, they are heading for BIG issues.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

When you look back at what you've written there in the morning 12D you'll realise I'm sure that 99% of it was really unecessary and your 10 minutes were wasted needlessly, all you've really done here is ranted without adding any evidence that's conclusive!

First of all I'm not making an argument, HUGE or otherwise, in favour or against anything, I'm simply looking for the exact wording of the act, translated into English and to try to get a more definitive answer than just your say so! Some folks secribe those funds as "available, others as immediately available, I want to understand what's written.

Secondly, you write in point 2 above that a fixed depsoit is fine, is it really, the question of whether it is or it is not, especially where the funds cannot be accessed during the term seem to be one of the key points debated thus far but you seem to have ruled that it's OK, I'm far from certain about that and will be keen to hear from others who have had a problem (or not) in this respect. It seems to me, without bothering to search for it, that I've read several times on this subject that such instruments are not suitable for Immigration purposes. Logically, if anything, I would have thought that fixed funds where the fix extends across the renewal date, would not be acceptable.

Thirdly, you'll be disappointed to hear that I'm remain unceratin whether MM accounts are suitable or not, the reason for this is as follows:

when I opened the money market account my passbook showed 500k as "uninvested", several days later when I decided to proceed the status was changed to "invested", Presumably when I decide to withdraw from the scheme the status will be changed back to "uninvested" and avilable for withdrawl, dunno for sure because I haven't tried it yet.

Fourthly, I think it's clear from a very recent thread of mine in the CM forum regarding retirement visa renewal that I don't advocate arguing with Immigration, nor have I any intention of doing so. What I will do however is to try understand more specifically what is asked of us in respect of the availability of seasoned funds so that I am prepared but also in a position to invest optimally.

Finally, I don't drink, sometimes I wish I could, your handle on the otherhand!

I'm simply looking for the exact wording of the act, translated into English and to try to get a more definitive answer than just your say so! Some folks secribe those funds as "available, others as immediately available, I want to understand what's written.

What's written is largely irrelevant as the officer decides on the day what he wants from you.

For this reason it is also pretty pointless asking in advance at the immigration office as you may well get a different answer each time you ask, and the only definitive answer will still be the one given by the officer on the day.

What one cay say is that some offices (Jomtien being the obvious one) are easier and more flexible than some other offices situated in areas where they dont see many retired farangs.

For what it's worth (not a lot) my local branch of CIMB is advertising a 5-month time deposit in their window. The ad specifically mentions, in English, "this account can be used with immigration for your visa extension". This is because the deposit is always available, albeit with an interest rate penalty for early withdrawal.

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that much of this debate about account types is moot, the key item in the renewal process is the letter from the bank that summarises current holdings and holdings at the start of each of the past three months.

At my recent renewal I had less than THB 700k baht in my account but I also had some SGD 70k in a separate FCY account, all held at HSBC. The letter from HSBC Bangkok summarised my total position by converting the FCY to THB. Note, it's only because it was HSBC that both accounts, three accounts actually, all appeared on the same statement page but in three different groups. Had that been a Thai bank the three account types would have been represented by three different passbooks but no doubt the bank letter would have been very similar in that it would have summarised the gross position, I think that's all they really care about hence, the discussion about fixed and MM may not even be relevant.

Regardless of the above, when I go get my re-entry permit later this week I will have the discussion with Immigration CM and post their responses.

Thanks

Happy to report that the account was fine for immigration purposes smile.png

Thanks & glad that worked out for you.

It seems they do not have Chiang Mai branches on the map at that site you posted. :(

Thanks

Happy to report that the account was fine for immigration purposes smile.png

Thanks & glad that worked out for you.

It seems they do not have Chiang Mai branches on the map at that site you posted. sad.png

As far as I can remember they only had one branch in Chiang Mai. Did a quick check on the website for you and is at the following:

http://www.standardchartered.co.th/branch-directory/en/

Chiangmai

184 Changphuak Rd., Tambon Sri Phum,

Amphur Muang, Chiangmai 50200

Tel. No.: (053) 210 340-2

Fax No.: (053) 412 806

As mentioned the Marathon Savings Account is usually only available in September October and November and runs for a year at a time with tiered rates. No idea what the quality of service for retail expat customers is like up there :)

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that much of this debate about account types is moot, the key item in the renewal process is the letter from the bank that summarises current holdings and holdings at the start of each of the past three months.

No its not moot.

It is the decision of the official in front of you.

At my recent renewal I had less than THB 700k baht in my account but I also had some SGD 70k in a separate FCY account, all held at HSBC. The letter from HSBC Bangkok summarised my total position by converting the FCY to THB. Note, it's only because it was HSBC that both accounts, three accounts actually, all appeared on the same statement page but in three different groups. Had that been a Thai bank the three account types would have been represented by three different passbooks but no doubt the bank letter would have been very similar in that it would have summarised the gross position, I think that's all they really care about hence, the discussion about fixed and MM may not even be relevant.

None of those accounts was an MM account.

Regardless of the above, when I go get my re-entry permit later this week I will have the discussion with Immigration CM and post their responses.

Let's see what they say.

As far as I can remember they only had one branch in Chiang Mai. Did a quick check on the website for you and is at the following:

http://www.standardc...h-directory/en/

Thanks Fletch will look into it when I arrive in May

Thanks

In light of my recent experiences with Stadard Chartered I have to throw in my two cents worth here:

Indeed there is a single branch in CM, take the road that sits at 12 oclock on the moat and it's on the righthand side after about a mile or so.

Whilst Stan Chart is a generally a good bank with decent rates their CM branch is difficult to deal with and I was cautioned against using them by several members beforehand, if you can deal with Bangkok you'll be OK but CM is pretty dire - I'll try and dig out my post that discusses my experience and will post it. Nobody speaks very much English, every single step of every process has to approved by Bangkok and they go way overboard on their request for and copying of documents. It took me three separate visits over two days, each lasting up to 90 minutes, plus two telephone calls with Bangkok in the evning before accounts were opened, it all ended with me closing the newly opened accounts and walking out of the bank with close to 1 mill. in brown paper bag.

I later wrote to Ms Lyn Kok their CEO and complained, the response included their cheque for fees incurred during that outing and an apology that for a whole raft of things including addmiting that CM brnach was not up to the required standard.

Personally I wish I could sucessfully open an account with Stan Chart, just as I wish I could open one at TMB in CM, both unfortunately make it just too difficult for a farang.

No its not moot.

It is the decision of the official in front of you.

None of those accounts was an MM account.

Let's see what they say.

What's being pointed out to you 12D, although you seem spectacularly to have missed the point, is that in my example above I used three separate accounts at the same bank to provide my cumlative 800K. I think I was able to do that because my holdings were summarised in the banks letter, had that been three separate passbooks at a Thai bank the funds would have been accumulated similarly, presumably. That being the case, having funds in an MM and other deposit type accounts at a single bank may well do the trick, provided they are accumulated and reported in the banks letter in a similar manner. It's for that reason that I think the bank letter is the key element in all of this, the passbooks/statements merely reflect supportive history but the bank letter provides the basis for OK/not OK by Immigration.

Regardless, I'll report back on my visit later in the afternoon and post what was said.

BTW, it's worth reading through the recent Retirement Visa thread in the CM forum because there we have a scenario that may be relevant, in a nutshell: the requirement to produce specific documents at the time of an O-A visa renewal is fairly standard both across time and across the different Immigration offices. However, when I went to renew my visa last week I was asked to produce the lease to my condo also and this seemed to be a new requirement. I posted my experiences for the beneift of others and was met with a number of folks telling me that's not a requirement - subsequently posters emerged to reveal that they also had been asked for the same thing. It's that type of variation of the rules and different interpretation of the requirements by different offices that gives me hope that the discussion on this whole business about time deposits et al may have been over done.

Edited by chiang mai

On which accounts are OK for Visa exetnsions, I got a list of requirements last year while applying last year. This was given to me by immigration at Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok while extending my stay based on having a Thai wife. They gave me a Thai and English version

English version:

"5.2 In case of having money in the bank account (Fix/Saving Deposit) of any bank located in Thailand

- The updated bank passbook showing money in the account of not less than 400,000 Baht which has been deposited and already held of such amount for 2 months

- Letter from the bank certified the account in the bank of not less than 400,000 Baht"

(Note: English wording is theirs not mine)

Thai Version: key words in brackets again were:

"...(ออมทรัพย์/ประจำ)..." which again = (savings/fixed deposit) - although the word order had changed.

Apart from the difference in word order, the Thai version says that the money should have been in the account for 3 months (and in the case of the first year of showing the balances 2 months), which was slightly more detailed than the English version which hadn't been fully translated and just had the one stipulation and no mention of first year. I believe the 2 months for 1st year is a concession for newbies... but I wouldn't want to rely on it, and I'd stick with the norm of 3 months.

[N.B. Thai wife extention is THB 400k vs THB 800k for retirement - the above applies to Thai wife and although one expects it would be the same types of account for retirement, you have to remember T.I.T]

My own take would be that as long as the account on the name page says "ออมทรัพย์" or "ประจำ" and has been there for 3 months at the date you're applying the account would be OK. I would be very surprised if money market accounts were accepted.

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

I believe the 2 months for 1st year is a concession for newbies... but I wouldn't want to rely on it, and I'd stick with the norm of 3 months.

From what I have been told that is correct.

The reason being the first conversion of say a Non Imm visa (90 days ) to a one year extension based on marriage or retirement is converted in the last 30 days of the original 90 day visa. As such you would never have a full 90 days to season the money. They know a person arriving on a 90 day will need a little time to get banking squared away.

So the first time through the 2 months is accepted as seasoned.

There after you will need 3 months seasoning of funds.

On which accounts are OK for Visa exetnsions, I got a list of requirements last year while applying last year. This was given to me by immigration at Chaeng Wattana, Bangkok while extending my stay based on having a Thai wife. They gave me a Thai and English version

English version:

"5.2 In case of having money in the bank account (Fix/Saving Deposit) of any bank located in Thailand

- The updated bank passbook showing money in the account of not less than 400,000 Baht which has been deposited and already held of such amount for 2 months

- Letter from the bank certified the account in the bank of not less than 400,000 Baht"

"...(ออมทรัพย์/ประจำ)..." which again = (savings/fixed deposit) - although the word order had changed.

Apart from the difference in word order, the Thai version says that the money should have been in the account for 3 months (and in the case of the first year of showing the balances 2 months), which was slightly more detailed than the English version which hadn't been fully translated and just had the one stipulation and no mention of first year. I believe the 2 months for 1st year is a concession for newbies... but I wouldn't want to rely on it, and I'd stick with the norm of 3 months.

[N.B. Thai wife extention is THB 400k vs THB 800k for retirement - the above applies to Thai wife and although one expects it would be the same types of account for retirement, you have to remember T.I.T]

My own take would be that as long as the account on the name page says "ออมทรัพย์" or "ประจำ" and has been there for 3 months at the date you're applying the account would be OK. I would be very surprised if money market accounts were accepted.

smile.png

Thanks for that FS, it looks like the terms "available" and "immediately available" are expressions that have been added by TV forum members that are not included within the original wording.

English version:

smile.png

For retirement the seasoning requirement is 2 months for the first extension and 3 months for subsequent ones.

For mariage to a Thai the seasoning requirement is 2 months for both first and subsequent extensions.

Sophon

Technically, to qualify for a retirement extension your deposit just has to be ........ available for withdrawal at all times,

Darrel, can you recall where you got this idea from, was it Immigration or just something someone said?

For mariage to a Thai the seasoning requirement is 2 months for both first and subsequent extensions.

Sophon

That is interesting & I never heard that before....Thanks

Does not matter much to me as I plan to just leave that visa money in its own account.

But interesting to know

smile.png

For retirement the seasoning requirement is 2 months for the first extension and 3 months for subsequent ones.

Sophon

Could well be smile.png The document I was given last year though for "Thai wife" extension said in Thai 2 months for extension for first year and 3 months for subsequent years. It was definitely for Thai wife and the amount was 400k.

I had another quick look on their website and now there seems no difference and it's 2 months in both cases (no diff mentioned in 1st vs subsequent years), both Thai and English. As you say, just says 2 months:

http://bangkok.immig...se.php?page=faq (question 16)

http://bangkok.immig...se.php?page=faq (question 35)

given you're never quite sure which version is correct, and this type of thing is common, plus the officer on the day works to what they believe the rule is or what they've always done is why I'd suggest 3 months to be safe.

Terms like "seasoning" "accessible" etc don't seem to have been in the official versions, and are other people's translations I guess. Thai is a somewhat simple language in many areas of vocab, business and grammar, and when people translate to English they often use words which have nuances in English not there in Thai. Now if you're talking wives and food (both of which are rich in Thai vocabulary) then Thai has the nuances and English is simpler!

Edited by fletchsmile

re .

I wish I could open one at TMB in CM, both unfortunately make it just too difficult for a farang

no they dont !

i opend one in pattaya on a tourist visa in 04

one in chiang moi road in 05 and another at airport plaza in 06

also a krung thai one in 07 and bangkok bank in 09 without any problems

try asking again : )

dave2.

post-42592-0-38483900-1335961462_thumb.j

re .

I wish I could open one at TMB in CM, both unfortunately make it just too difficult for a farang

no they dont !

dave2.

Interesting how we all have different experiences with these things, can I ask, did you have a work permit in order to open your account in CM? Also, did you already have your TMB account in Pattaya before opening at TMB CM?

I tried to open an account at TMB on Chan Klan a couple of months ago and it was a dreadful experience, the manager called head office and spent ten minutes on the phone before mumbling "farang cannot open account here", I wanted to debate the finer points of banking with the man but clearly I would have got nowehere. Mt next stop was TMB at Airport Plaza where I was hit with the repeated message, it's really really difficult for farang" (to open an account here). Eventually I just gave up and went elsewhere. Much earlier I had tried the TMB on the road that runs along the East side of the river, near to the ring road, there I was told that if no work permit, "cannot". Not a big deal really but it would make spreading funds around just that bit easier.

BTW: I've just re read your post, I have no problems opening accounts with other Thai banks, I've held accounts at krungthai, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and others for many years and interestingly, I always take along those passbooks when applying at TMB, just to try to add some credibility to my application.

Edited by chiang mai

re .

no they dont !

dave2.

Interesting how we all have different experiences with these things, can I ask, did you have a work permit in order to open your account in CM? Also, did you already have your TMB account in Pattaya before opening at TMB CM?

I tried to open an account at TMB on Chan Klan a couple of months ago and it was a dreadful experience, the manager called head office and spent ten minutes on the phone before mumbling "farang cannot open account here", I wanted to debate the finer points of banking with the man but clearly I would have got nowehere. Mt next stop was TMB at Airport Plaza where I was hit with the repeated message, it's really really difficult for farang" (to open an account here). Eventually I just gave up and went elsewhere. Much earlier I had tried the TMB on the road that runs along the East side of the river, near to the ring road, there I was told that if no work permit, "cannot". Not a big deal really but it would make spreading funds around just that bit easier.

BTW: I've just re read your post, I have no problems opening accounts with other Thai banks, I've held accounts at krungthai, Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and others for many years and interestingly, I always take along those passbooks when applying at TMB, just to try to add some credibility to my application.

How did it go at immigration?

MM fund book with funds transferred to deposit account at the last minute, well last three days, is fully acceptable for extensions of stay?

or not?

Edited by 12DrinkMore