Thai Analysis: Heading Towards Lawless Society?

webfact

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applaud the effort but the author is a bit naive! How can they get the guns? Really? If you haven't noticed, Thailand is already a lawless society, not because of the acts of violence mentioned, that's human nature and happens everywhere and is why you need laws in the first place. No, Thailand is a lawless society because its justice system is discrminatory and corrupt in applying the laws it already has in place and aggressively pursing justice for victims. The police force is entirely corrupt and easily bribed to look the other way on any matter, and are basically lazy. Members of government get away with stealing from the people every day with no fear of repercussions from law enforcement because they are all in it together here with no checks and balances. Just yesterday my father-in-law was pulled over for speeding which he was not and told he had to go to the police station to pay the fine, but a 100 baht note to the officer took care of it and we were on our way. We all know this. We all know about the mafia-style shakedowns that happen to small businesses by the police and the blatant discrimination against foreigners in applying the law or seeking justice when they are harmed. All you need to do to see the problem in Thailand is look to see who has the most extravegant facilities for their own personal enjoyment and you will see it's the military and the police. They are totally unchecked by any rule of law in this country and there is no holding them responsible for their lawless behavior. Until that changes, and let's face it, that will never happen, Thailand is and will continue to be just another lawless third world country unworthy of the respect of the developed nations of the world. The people of this country will only deserve better when they gain their self-respect and demand better. I don't ever see it happening.

• Like 1

Heading towards lawlessness? Lets be honest here. With over 20,000 gun murders a year this is not lawlessness - this is a war zone. And most murders are condoned by the law - the untouchables. The layers of corruption are from bottom to top - from the street vendor charging an extra ten to forty baht to politicians changing laws to pay no tax.

Edited by heiwa

Heading towards lawlessness? Lets be honest here. With over 20,000 gun murders a year this is not lawlessness - this is a war zone. And most murders are condoned by the law - the untouchables. The layers of corruption are from bottom to top - from the street vendor charging an extra ten to forty baht to politicians changing laws to pay no tax.

How is a street vendor's overcharging corruption?

Valid point - not corruption. It's not a fixed price market so therefore they can charge what they like.

With over 20,000 gun murders a year this is not lawlessness - this is a war zone.

Yep. I always put on a full set of kevlar and travel in an armoured convoy when I step outside my front door.

Thailand has the same problems as our home counrtries and that is one of moral and social decay caused by an economic depression. The GFC has brought about the realisation that there isnt enough circulating wealth to go around, unemployment is increasing as inflation reduces wages, taxes are increasing and the average citizen no longer has the buying power they did before. The lower socio-economic areas are expanding as the middleclass shrinks and there is a stench of desperation as we all fight for the shrinking resourse. The local police have been replaced by the riot squads and crimes remain unsolved while the financial sector is guarded 24/7 all to increase the protection of the 1% from the 99%.

However, Thailand is in a worse position, it doesnt have the social security safety net that the west has and it population isnt educated to the same standard, that has created a very large pool of unskilled labour. These unskilled labourers were traditionally employed in the service industries. The service industry that is shrinking at an expontential rate as tourist numbers drop off, unemployement increases and buying power decreases. As people find they have less and less disposable income to purchase not only discretionary items but the basic goods they need for themselves and their families to survive they become increasingly more aggressive to obtain them. Society will de-evolve from the rule of law to the rule of the jungle, morality will be a luxury, violence and public unrest will increase and social cohesion will disolve into compeating gangs.

This is a very dangerous situation for ex-pats as they are seen as a soft target to gain some easily accessable wealth.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

With over 20,000 gun murders a year this is not lawlessness - this is a war zone.

Yep. I always put on a full set of kevlar and travel in an armoured convoy when I step outside my front door.

You are a smart fellow. Thailand is the third most likely country in the world where you will be shot in the head. You are lucky. Many farang can not afford an armoured convoy. South Africa is the most likely country to get a bullet in the head followed by Colombia. Not to mention bandits on the roads with guns throughout the country. Any farang who has witnessed armed robberies please post. What they do in Thailand is ram the point of the gun against your neck repeatedly before you give up your bag. Don't bother reporting to the Police as things could get a lot worse for you if you get my drift. Witnesses do not have a long life expectancy. Fail to give up your bag often results in a bullet in the head. You must understand the importance of money and status. Someone with no money is looked down upon so armed robbery is seen as the lesser evil. There are many farang who are putting themselves at risk because of their delusional view about the safety of Thailand. I am most pleased to see that you are not one of these delusional farang and feel that your life is precious enough to hire an armoured convoy. Edited by heiwa

Well they might have to put their prices up because their food stand is in an illegal space (not uncommon in Bangkok, I presume) and pay tea money for the privilege? Just a thought.

Thailand has the same problems as our home counrtries and that is one of moral and social decay caused by an economic depression. The GFC has brought about the realisation that there isnt enough circulating wealth to go around, unemployment is increasing as inflation reduces wages, taxes are increasing and the average citizen no longer has the buying power they did before. The lower socio-economic areas are expanding as the middleclass shrinks and there is a stench of desperation as we all fight for the shrinking resourse. The local police have been replaced by the riot squads and crimes remain unsolved while the financial sector is guarded 24/7 all to increase the protection of the 1% from the 99%.

However, Thailand is in a worse position, it doesnt have the social security safety net that the west has and it population isnt educated to the same standard, that has created a very large pool of unskilled labour. These unskilled labourers were traditionally employed in the service industries. The service industry that is shrinking at an expontential rate as tourist numbers drop off, unemployement increases and buying power decreases. As people find they have less and less disposable income to purchase not only discretionary items but the basic goods they need for themselves and their families to survive they become increasingly more aggressive to obtain them. Society will de-evolve from the rule of law to the rule of the jungle, morality will be a luxury, violence and public unrest will increase and social cohesion will disolve into compeating gangs.

This is a very dangerous situation for ex-pats as they are seen as a soft target to gain some easily accessable wealth.

The usual answer to the problems you put forward, is to start a war, savagely reducing that pool of unskilled labour while providing economic stimulus, and coincidentally providing a greater number of available women for those smart enough not to enlist and/or rich enough not to get conscripted.

War is good for business, invest your son. (Not original).

The usual answer to the problems you put forward, is to start a war, savagely reducing that pool of unskilled labour while providing economic stimulus, and coincidentally providing a greater number of available women for those smart enough not to enlist and/or rich enough not to get conscripted.

War is good for business, invest your son. (Not original).

If by war you mean revolution, I believe that class struggle has already begun

I prefer disguise, dress scruffy and if you hang around outside 7-11 long enough, Thai people give me money..................

You are a smart fellow. Thailand is the third most likely country in the world where you will be shot in the head. You are lucky. Many farang can not afford an armoured convoy. South Africa is the most likely country to get a bullet in the head followed by Colombia. Not to mention bandits on the roads with guns throughout the country. Any farang who has witnessed armed robberies please post. What they do in Thailand is ram the point of the gun against your neck repeatedly before you give up your bag. Don't bother reporting to the Police as things could get a lot worse for you if you get my drift. Witnesses do not have a long life expectancy. Fail to give up your bag often results in a bullet in the head. You must understand the importance of money and status. Someone with no money is looked down upon so armed robbery is seen as the lesser evil. There are many farang who are putting themselves at risk because of their delusional view about the safety of Thailand. I am most pleased to see that you are not one of these delusional farang and feel that your life is precious enough to hire an armoured convoy.

Death is inevitable (except perhaps to Thaksin, who refutes this concept). Life can either be enjoyed, or wasted worrying about death.

You are a smart fellow. Thailand is the third most likely country in the world where you will be shot in the head. You are lucky. Many farang can not afford an armoured convoy. South Africa is the most likely country to get a bullet in the head followed by Colombia. Not to mention bandits on the roads with guns throughout the country. Any farang who has witnessed armed robberies please post. What they do in Thailand is ram the point of the gun against your neck repeatedly before you give up your bag. Don't bother reporting to the Police as things could get a lot worse for you if you get my drift. Witnesses do not have a long life expectancy. Fail to give up your bag often results in a bullet in the head. You must understand the importance of money and status. Someone with no money is looked down upon so armed robbery is seen as the lesser evil. There are many farang who are putting themselves at risk because of their delusional view about the safety of Thailand. I am most pleased to see that you are not one of these delusional farang and feel that your life is precious enough to hire an armoured convoy.

Death is inevitable (except perhaps to Thaksin, who refutes this concept). Life can either be enjoyed, or wasted worrying about death.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes, Thaksin has already cheated one, w00t.gif

I prefer disguise, dress scruffy and if you hang around outside 7-11 long enough, Thai people give me money..................

I knew a farang who got six teeth extracted outside a 711 because he would not give a guy cigarettes. This farang was 6 foot 4, ex-marine. The guy came back with friends and bashed the crap out of him. A smaller guy would have died. The police ascertained it was the farang's fault because he was impolite in rejecting to give these guys cigarettes - I have no doubt the police were correct - this guy had a bit of a mouth - however now a mouth with six less teeth. However he was lucky he was not one of those in the over 20,000 bracket who get a bullet in the head every year. Analysis of the situation would indicate that this farang was extremely lucky. He got the best possible result one would say - and the Police agreed. Now for a few impolite words does that mean Police condone such a savage beating. Well, Yes. At least in Thailand. It's incumbent rule, home ground advantage, untouchables, criminals on the Police payroll. There is nothing you can do if you don't have an armoured convoy. Just get home by 5.30pm and lock the doors is the best solution. And always remember impoliteness gives rise to justifiable murder in the eyes of the Police and society. This is the secondary law in operation - some would say the real law in Thailand - local law. The legal system is something imposed by foreigners and does not apply generally and generally not wanted by Thai people. It of course is mob rule and will be for at least this century. Edited by heiwa

... the cultural values of a society are largely driven and sustained by the spiritual values of the predominant religion(s).

... after 12+ years living and working here, up close and personal, my opinion is the Thai's greed is greater and stronger than the Thai's Buddha.

... Thais are not particularly prepared for self-introspection, especially on an issue as sensitive as the defacto state religion - the unique, Thai-branded Theravada Buddhism ... so, the question of Thais' inferior cultural values might be denied by Thais, and the entire issue uncomfortably avoided in their child-like ways.

... no great moral leader appears on the Thai radar anywhere to inspire and stir in Thais a greater humanity ... no Mahatma Gandhi ... no Aung San Suu Kyi ... no Nelson Mandela ... for that reason, I suspect changes in Thai values will not occur, and Thai cultural values will continue to corrode.

... I have long been preparing my Thai children to leave Thailand, should they decide their quality of life will be better in another nation.

... corruption + incompetence = Thailand ... it is a mathematical certainty.

... so deeply saddening to have to witness this ... I wonder what the Thais' Buddha would say?

"corruption + incompetence = Thailand"

You are saying that Burma. Afghanistan, Sudan and the list goes on are not corrupt +incompetent. You really should read other News Sources besides Thai Visa

... uuuh ... no, hellodolly ... that is not what I said ... what I said, is what I said.

... as you just did, I will not misrepresent your post, or put my words into your mouth ... but ... if you are implying that because other societies are cultural wastelands the same as Thailand, and that I should somehow not critisize Thailand, then maybe you could re-consider ... I really do not understand any rationale for which you are reaching.

... I live in Thailand ... not Burma ... or, Afghanistan ... or, Sudan ... I have children in Thailand, about whose futures I am deeply concerned ... the op-ed about which we are commenting is about Thailand.

Look at most of the Thai monks. They don't practice Buddhism, they practice spirit-ism and capitalism. It's all about money that they can spend in computer plaza's and shopping malls for expensive mobile phones and computers. I think the majority of Thai people don't know what Buddhism is. They think that giving money to monks is a guaranty for a better next life.

• Like 2

... the cultural values of a society are largely driven and sustained by the spiritual values of the predominant religion(s).

... after 12+ years living and working here, up close and personal, my opinion is the Thai's greed is greater and stronger than the Thai's Buddha.

... Thais are not particularly prepared for self-introspection, especially on an issue as sensitive as the defacto state religion - the unique, Thai-branded Theravada Buddhism ... so, the question of Thais' inferior cultural values might be denied by Thais, and the entire issue uncomfortably avoided in their child-like ways.

... no great moral leader appears on the Thai radar anywhere to inspire and stir in Thais a greater humanity ... no Mahatma Gandhi ... no Aung San Suu Kyi ... no Nelson Mandela ... for that reason, I suspect changes in Thai values will not occur, and Thai cultural values will continue to corrode.

... I have long been preparing my Thai children to leave Thailand, should they decide their quality of life will be better in another nation.

... so deeply saddening to have to witness this ... I wonder what the Thais' Buddha would say?

You are saying that Burma. Afghanistan, Sudan and the list goes on are not corrupt +incompetent. You really should read other News Sources besides Thai Visa

... uuuh ... no, hellodolly ... that is not what I said ... what I said, is what I said.

... as you just did, I will not misrepresent your post, or put my words into your mouth ... but ... if you are implying that because other societies are cultural wastelands the same as Thailand, and that I should somehow not critisize Thailand, then maybe you could re-consider ... I really do not understand any rationale for which you are reaching.

... I live in Thailand ... not Burma ... or, Afghanistan ... or, Sudan ... I have children in Thailand, about whose futures I am deeply concerned ... the op-ed about which we are commenting is about Thailand.

Look at most of the Thai monks. They don't practice Buddhism, they practice spirit-ism and capitalism. It's all about money that they can spend in computer plaza's and shopping malls for expensive mobile phones and computers. I think the majority of Thai people don't know what Buddhism is. They think that giving money to monks is a guaranty for a better next life.

Its a special form of buddhism worshipping rank/status above all else and to do anything to get a higher rank and for some it means even killing people for money to get a higher rank - a more noble birth. There is something very wrong. The leading head monk of Thailand needs to speak up and put an end to this endemic violence. More than 20,000 gun murders every year is a good reason for the head monk to speak up. Of course there are many with no work now = no money which gives rise to armed robberies naturally. Edited by heiwa

... koosdeboer, heiwa ... you are, of course, both correct ... what most focus upon are the symptoms of the underlying problem ... stealing, lying, deceipt, extortion, enslavement, child abandonment, assault, murder, and on, and on, and on, are but symptoms, treated with jail, fines, courts, etc. ... (well actually, not treated here, as Thailand is now generally known as having no rule of law).

... the underlying problem is inferior cultural values that drive behavior and establish overall societal rules ... solving the real problem here is far more distant a goal than an interminably corrupt society and legal system can hope to achieve.

... I hate to concede to hopelessness, ever, but Thailand's situation is dire.

... representative elective political systems really do work ... elected politicians are overwhelmingly representative of the people who vote for them ... look who Thais elect? ... what does that say about the average Thai?

... look where Thais pray and to whom Thais look for spiritual guidance? ... any Mahatma Gandhi's, or Aung San Suu Kyi's, or Nelson Mandela's out there amongst them? ... a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e?

... I am no theologian, but a close Korean friend and a devout Buddhist who has spent a lot time in Thailand, believes that Thai Buddhism is all a manipulation by the entitled elitist class to passify, subjugate and exploit the Thai prai ... he believes that the Thais' unique brand of Theravada Buddhism has been co-opted and exploited by Thais for that purpose ... that Buddhism was hijacked by elitist Thais no differently than radical Muslims have hijacked the Koran for their decidedly ignoble purposes ... he explained that an attempt was made in the 1800's by one of the Thai Kings (who was an authentic Buddhist scholar and recognized problems) to return Theravada Buddhism to it's authentic practices, but he failed.

... if you test that theory, it does seem to fit with what we see in Thailand ... and, has worked quite well for generations.

... my belief ... Thais' greed is more powerful than the Thais' Buddha.

... a sad day for real Buddhists ... (and Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, whomever, etc.).

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

1 Axiom or self evident truth remains: 1 cannot make chicken soup out of chicken poop in a society where the Rule of Law is a passing fantasy. It is unfortunate handicap that Thais seem to be a legend in their own minds; ignorance is bliss

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

I think Thais dont have a religion they have a superstition, they pay lip service to buhdism not to become better people or to build a better society they do it as a token to protect them against harm or as an apeasement for bad deeds.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Last Wednesday the security guard allowed into my road a car driver who said he was visiting a friend. He was actually a debt collector looking for the son of an old Thai couple a couple of doors away. I was indoors and heard a loud bang. I went outside to investigate only to see the car driver firing a pistol into the air before leaping into his car and speeding away. No police turned up to investigate. I live in a quiet tree lined road in what would ordinarily be described as a nice area. As the desk sergeant in Hill Street Blues used to say - "Let`s be careful out there".

And that's just one of over 20,000 gun murders per year. However, its the same deal in Cambodia when you don't pay your debts. No investigation as well it's tolerated isn't it. Everyone knows the rules and unofficial rules of inappropriate behaviour and the legal and non-legal consequences. Therefore why should their be an investigation? It's like scooters who drive up the wrong side of the road - its illegal but its tolerated. In Thailand it is better to live by the informal 2nd set of rules. The legal ones are secondary in importance.

Yep, it would probably account for the "20,000 gun murders last year" statistics you have been quoting. Unless of course the bullets fired into the air actually hit someone on the way down............

Possible..............

I guess I've had rather better experiences with the police here than others. I got a police box fitted to my front gate...costs 500 baht a month, and the cops come round twice a day at random hours and sign in.

We had a bit of bother with one of the gardeners who had a habit and was nicking small stuff...we called the police number they had given us and they came straight round, said if we wanted to press charges we had to come down to the station to make a formal complaint. We decided not to press charges, but the cops went to visit him...that was the last we heard from him (no I don't mean that they killed him....they just told him to make sure he didn't go near our house again)...

The problem with any law is that it has to be enforced and enforced fairly...Thailand has thousands of laws on the books but they are not enforced or are enforced selectively....the elite get away with everything up to and including murder, and the poor go to jail for yaba smoking offenses...and it's difficult to respect the justice system when it is not fairly enforced...why should I drive on the correct side of the road, when the 18 year old son of an elite drives his Benz into a bus stop killing a bunch of people and then beats the bus driver with a piece of concrete...he was found guilty about 3 years back and has been out on appeal ever since...not a day in jail...you know that if he was a poor peasant driving a 20 year old pick-up whose brakes failed, he'd be in the slammer for the rest of his life.

There are too many guns here...I went to a house warming party a couple of months back...I was sitting down talking to one middle aged chap, when he pulled out a gun to show me...always carries a gun he told me....the host of the party said that several guest were 'carrying'. I lived in America for 20 years and know the harm that carrying weapons can do, so I'd support an aggressive campaign to rid Thailand of guns, with long sentences for carrying unlicensed guns.

Works for Malaysia. That's what I love about Malaysia. I can sit down knowing Mac Donalds is not about to be blown up or that there will not be 56.11 gun murders per day like in Thailand. I find it very relaxing after leaving Thailand. Many Thais feel the same way. Come on Thailand - you need to admit there is a problem and fix it.

Works for Malaysia. That's what I love about Malaysia. I can sit down knowing Mac Donalds is not about to serve me a non-halal pork burger. I find it very relaxing after leaving Thailand. Many Thais feel the same way. Come on Thailand - you need to admit there is a problem and fix it.

Police fail to act for the young 16 year old boy who was beaten unconscious in front of 711 cameras and many witnesses - apparently not interested to investigate. The thugs know that the police don't give a shit or the thug culture is bigger than the police. I gave the address of the robber and licence plate of the motorbike that attempted to rob me. The Police said no reason to arrest, not interested, it may be a reason in a foreign country but not Thailand. They said that they must steal something of me before they do something. Farang brothers - make sure you adjust to this very unique environment or leave. It's getting a lot worse - talk to the Thais. Over 20,000 murdered by guns last year - the statistics don't lie. Rest assured in Thailand the Police will do nothing.

not to belittle your incident but what would you have had the police charge him with? tailgating?

i don't think there's a (fair) country in the world where people get charged with robbery without committing the robbery.

Where I was living in Canada you call the police for your stolen car and they just give it a case number don't even bother to come out and look around.

They got better things to do then look for your 20yo car. If you don't got insurance that's your own problem, aye.

In San Francisco, bars must be closed by 2am. Exactly. If the cops have a special liking for the establishment they will be there counting down the last seconds, and if at exactly 2am one person still has a drink in their hand WAMMO! I'm not sure what the terms are now, but it used to be the first time you got a warning and a hefty fine. Second time they take away your alcohol licensing. That's it.

What time did you say the bars have to close by in Bangkok?

Law in LOS will never be taken seriously until the police are issued uniforms that have no pockets.

That is a wonderful last line in your post. In fact, you could 'coin' that phrase and/or put it on t-shirts (in English, of course) and sell them... What a wonderful statement.

Police fail to act for the young 16 year old boy who was beaten unconscious in front of 711 cameras and many witnesses - apparently not interested to investigate. The thugs know that the police don't give a shit or the thug culture is bigger than the police. I gave the address of the robber and licence plate of the motorbike that attempted to rob me. The Police said no reason to arrest, not interested, it may be a reason in a foreign country but not Thailand. They said that they must steal something of me before they do something. Farang brothers - make sure you adjust to this very unique environment or leave. It's getting a lot worse - talk to the Thais. Over 20,000 murdered by guns last year - the statistics don't lie. Rest assured in Thailand the Police will do nothing.

not to belittle your incident but what would you have had the police charge him with? tailgating?

i don't think there's a (fair) country in the world where people get charged with robbery without committing the robbery.

Where I was living in Canada you call the police for your stolen car and they just give it a case number don't even bother to come out and look around.

They got better things to do then look for your 20yo car. If you don't got insurance that's your own problem, aye.

Guess I need to explain this better. My fault. Wide open road, no traffic. Riding my bike, up comes a bike sitting right behind my back wheel. I think such a big road why does he have to be there 10cm behind my back wheel so I veer left. Then he veers left. I look to my left and right over my shoulder and I can not see him. Then I turn my head right around and he again is sitting 10cm behind my back wheel. So I veer right, he veers right. I realise this is not a game so I speed up to 140km/hr. He also does the same. This goes on for about 15km at 140km/hr until I make it into town and he gives up the chase. I go left and he goes right but I stop to get a rough idea of his number plate. Then by sheer co-incidence I see him at Big C. Take a photo of his number plate and his apartment identification sticker. To add to this I just could not stop at 140km/hr with his front wheel always behind mine I was too afraid of slowing down as hitting my back wheel I would guess would be instant death. Also Thais tell me if they can get along side you they will kick your bike down. Now I was riding at 140km/hr when traffic ahead meant I should have slowed down to 80km/hr. To me in my book this is attempted murder. They hope you will fall and then pick your bag. And this is a very big problem in Thailand - ask Thai people. I never had heard of it before it happened.

Have just found out today that giving the finger in Thailand means I <Snip!> your mother and father. It doesn't mean that where I come from. Explains why a German motorcyclist was shot in the head in Chiang Mai some years back when he gave a Thai driver the finger after he cut him of.

I have also found that many of the more than 20,000 gun murders a year are due to a joke seen by the joker as funny but not seen as funny by the recipient of the joke. This is why I guess you find Thai people generally as extremely polite.

It can be quite easy to insult Thais big time by mistake when you are learning the language. A friend of 25 years in Thailand has chosen not to speak to Thai men for the last fifteen years for this reason. I try to avoid it also.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.