Suzuki Swift

chuang

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I reckon the fuel economy will be 15-17 km per liter. My new Colorado truck can do almost 11 km per later in city driving. Btw We ordered blue swift back in march on the first day launched in cm and was told the delivery date will be around October. Well I hope they can cope with after sale service standard...I felt a bit of arrogance in this cm Suzuki dealer after this popular swift doing so well. I remember 2-3 years back at the very same dealer even with no ac.

How do you come to this conclusion? Consumption specs (which are normally independantly verified) say 20.5 klm/L. Why would you think it gets only 15-17? That is what the 1.6 Fiesta gets, why would the Swift whith it's 1.2 litre engine get the same?

If you take a look out the back of the dealer showrooms you will see the service area getting a big makeover.

How do you come to this conclusion? Consumption specs (which are normally independantly verified) say 20.5 klm/L. Why would you think it gets only 15-17? That is what the 1.6 Fiesta gets, why would the Swift whith it's 1.2 litre engine get the same?

If you take a look out the back of the dealer showrooms you will see the service area getting a big makeover.

20 km / l is under very controlled conditions and a given style of driving. I recorded around 20-21 in Nonthaburi in a test drive of a brio. This included a brief stop at a set of traffic lights, but mostly speeds up to 100/120km/h.

I would say 15-17 would be good around town with regular stopping and crawling. The fiesta will use more petrol than this.

maybe some fiesta owners can chime in with their fuel consumption.

• 1 month later...

Suzuki Swift always a top succes in Europe, due to it's valuable for money and reputation in good technics. I order the car here in Bangkok first week of June and the dealer told be indeed 8 months. Last month (July) I read the news and saw it also on the news on TV that Suzuki Thailand will stop temporary it's delivery for neighbour countries like Malaysia and India and will only deliver to Thai customers. Due to this action the delivery time will be getting faster. They said (when I have to believe the news) it will shorten the delivery with 3 months to Thai customers, so in my case I should get the car in 5 months from ordering. Suzuki said that it will be getting better and better with the delivery now. And to be honest, when I look on the road now days, I see the new swift more and more appear, so that's a good sign.

About the dealers I have to admit it's less and some of them are not "my dealer" in terms of service and approach to potential customers. But I searched and found a nice new dealer not far from my home, so that's for me perfect. Since I always bring my car for service to the same dealer it's for me not a problem if they have many or less dealers nationwide. For sure in a few years more dealer will appear due to the success of the Swift. Actually they need too, when they want to keep their customers during the coming years.

I never buy a car for speed, racing or whatever. I buy a car for the looks, the fuel saving and safety and this Swift answered all my questions in those terms. I can't wait till the dealer call me to get my new Swift.

I just ordered a blue swift top model, but delivery is apparently June now! Hope it's a bit quicker than that, but I don't need the car yet anyway so it's not a big problem. I test drove our friends new swift on the weekend and it's quite good - very nice inside as he also changed the seat material - some kind of vinyl but still quite ok looking and comfortable. Brakes and suspension are good - engine was quieter and less coarse than that of the brio - was much more upmarket and larger than the brio too. I've not driven the mirage / march for comparison. The swift is looking to be very popular with many booking so far.

• 1 month later...

I just looked around the 1.2 manual version and took it for a quick spin. I like it. It's small as you would expect, not exactly fast, but I still think its quite good. I was told if I order one it will only take a month, so wifey could take advantage of the first car scheme.

At the moment I drive a 2011 Ranger Wildtrak Ltd, anyone have a ball park figure for its worth? I've looked on Taladrod and One2car, but can't find any of the run out models like mine. If older or slightly lower spec cars are advertised for around 550+, how much should I expect from a tent?

Forgot to add, the saleswomen at Suzuki actually new what she was talking about and could answer questions! I nearly fell over. :-)

Edited by mjj

Went to checkout the Mitsubishi and Suzuki yesterday, Suzuki has a waiting time of 10 months but mirage is available in 1 months time.

Hi

Today I have been told but Mitsubishi Lamphun, order Mirage today, delivery next year ... very long queue ... impressive !

P.

wow, seems like both the suzuki and mirage both have long queues now. The swift auto is now at least mid year next year.

I have a pearl white GLX for the past month. I am more used to driving a large 4x4 but the swift is growing on me, especially in Bangkok traffic where it can be handy for zipping around and avoiding other mentally deficent lunatics driving habits.

The car is definetely growing on me, the only gripe I have seems to be a common one, the aircon, climate control unit fan seems to be a little noisy compared to other vehicles. Also when you flick back the indicator it takes a couple of seconds to cancel.

I ordered it from the motor show and recieved it in early August. No major stress with the dealership. Just make sure you are getting the interior you ordered, especially if you ordered the same model as the GLX at the motor show which had a leather interior.

The ride can be quite fast especially when you put it in sport mode and normal acceleration is fine.

The dealer I bought it from was iTOA Suzuki Petchaburi Rd Bangkok. Already had its 1,000KM service, next one due at 10,000kms. 3 year warranty or 100,000kms.

Deal included heavy discount on accesories and the insurance was 50% subsidised, finance with Kasikorn.

Like I said its growing on me. 1,300 baht fills the tank from bone dry to overflowing and while I cannot tell you the consumption figures I can tell you that I dont drive gently and am not shy of the accelerator and I am still impressed with the economy.

I have a pearl white GLX for the past month. I am more used to driving a large 4x4 but the swift is growing on me, especially in Bangkok traffic where it can be handy for zipping around and avoiding other mentally deficent lunatics driving habits.

The car is definetely growing on me, the only gripe I have seems to be a common one, the aircon, climate control unit fan seems to be a little noisy compared to other vehicles. Also when you flick back the indicator it takes a couple of seconds to cancel.

I ordered it from the motor show and recieved it in early August. No major stress with the dealership. Just make sure you are getting the interior you ordered, especially if you ordered the same model as the GLX at the motor show which had a leather interior.

The ride can be quite fast especially when you put it in sport mode and normal acceleration is fine.

The dealer I bought it from was iTOA Suzuki Petchaburi Rd Bangkok. Already had its 1,000KM service, next one due at 10,000kms. 3 year warranty or 100,000kms.

Deal included heavy discount on accesories and the insurance was 50% subsidised, finance with Kasikorn.

Like I said its growing on me. 1,300 baht fills the tank from bone dry to overflowing and while I cannot tell you the consumption figures I can tell you that I dont drive gently and am not shy of the accelerator and I am still impressed with the economy.

Thanks for that. I never noticed about the air cond when I test drove my friends swift. There's now no discount on the insurance. What accessories did you ask for and get a discount on? I understand the body kit is quite expensive, so might look for an after market kit. If you are interested in performance parts, there are also adjustable springs/coilovers (H-drive) and also a big brake kit by runstop available for the swift, including a rear disc conversion kit. I'm tempted to change my order to a manual, but my wife hates stick!

Culicine,

When you have been looking at mods for the Swift, did you see any performance mods that are good value for the hp gain? I might be buying a manual one and I know it's never going to be a rocket, but a little extra oomph wouldn't go amiss.

The dealer where I am offered no freebies, it that normal or do I need to push a bit more? What is your finance deal if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.

Culicine,

When you have been looking at mods for the Swift, did you see any performance mods that are good value for the hp gain? I might be buying a manual one and I know it's never going to be a rocket, but a little extra oomph wouldn't go amiss.

The dealer where I am offered no freebies, it that normal or do I need to push a bit more? What is your finance deal if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.

I haven't organised financing yet, I just had a booking at the dealer through a friend.It's in another province, but I'll go in to talk to them next time I'm there.

I haven't seen a lot of performance mods in Thailand though. I think you can get a k&N drop in filter. There seems to be quite a few parts available in the UK, as the car in manual form has been there a couple of years. The new car uses an a plastic intake manifold, I assume to reduce weight and reduce heat. I'd be looking at an exhaust header (not seen one available here yet), but a place link 'mengheader' I think could customise one. You can post on their site on facebook. I saw one with a trust beatmax TI exhaust (axleback), but that was a steep 17K baht. I think we have to wait a year or so, as it's a new vehicle. Can't even get a carbon fibre hood yet. If you find some parts, let me know.

I think the first think I'd do would be to change out the wheels for 17". I'm getting a blue one, so might go with gold advan wheels (copies of course)

• Like 1

Thank you. We are going to go blue as well. I told the mrs mjj that if she want to drive she has to use learn a manual. So a GL is the one we will probably buy. A good option for us is to upgrade the wheels to the Glx wheels as it only cost 10k as they keep the old wheels. Mrs mjj wants the rear spoiler as well.

The only downside is the lack of abs and only 1 airbag.

I've looked on other websites for performance upgrades, but with no luck. Like you say maybe once more are sold the Thai boy racers will start getting mods.

Thank you. We are going to go blue as well. I told the mrs mjj that if she want to drive she has to use learn a manual. So a GL is the one we will probably buy. A good option for us is to upgrade the wheels to the Glx wheels as it only cost 10k as they keep the old wheels. Mrs mjj wants the rear spoiler as well.

The only downside is the lack of abs and only 1 airbag.

I've looked on other websites for performance upgrades, but with no luck. Like you say maybe once more are sold the Thai boy racers will start getting mods.

Are you sure it has no ABS? I think it's the same spec as the auto GL model, which as ABS. Actually even the base model auto has abs. I'd double check on that. For 100K less than the top auto I think the mid model manual is a good buy. 0-100 is about 12 sec or so, apparently, based on UK models.

There are some really nice headers in the UK too. Some nice long branch 4-2-1. They would be nice, but worry about warranty being voided. Take a look at thaisuzukiswiftclub.com There are a few pics there.

The saleswomen seemed to think all the manuals lacked abs. I've been trying to find out from other sources on the Internet, but they all seem to test the auto in Thailand. The price was 467,000 which as you say is the mid spec version. I hope you are right because that was my only concern.

I took one for a very little test drive and it seemed quite chuckable in the corners, especially after driving my pickup. I will try to get another test drive this week to find out a bit more and I'll test the brakes to see if they lock up.

The saleswomen seemed to think all the manuals lacked abs. I've been trying to find out from other sources on the Internet, but they all seem to test the auto in Thailand. The price was 467,000 which as you say is the mid spec version. I hope you are right because that was my only concern.

I took one for a very little test drive and it seemed quite chuckable in the corners, especially after driving my pickup. I will try to get another test drive this week to find out a bit more and I'll test the brakes to see if they lock up.

OH, I think you are correct - no ABS/EBD on the manual models:(

http://www.suzuki.co.th/webpage/swift/equip.html

You really need abs in such a small car. It's strange as they give you one airbag, but no abs...normally the airbags are the first to be left out.

Did you try the cvt? If you put your foot down it goes well, and I think you will find it will give better economy than the manual, especially on the highway, as the cvt ratio is quite low - only 2000 rpm at 100 km/h which is less than my civic 2.0.

Not really interested in the cvt. I haven't tried it, but I like manuals and I want my wife to learn to drive in a manual. Autos will be fine in the future for her, but I feel that manuals focus the mind a bit better and give a better understanding of how cats work on the road. Just my opinion and I know many will disagree.

Edited by mjj

Not really interested in the cvt. I haven't tried it, but I like manuals and I want my wife to learn to drive in a manual. Autos will be fine in the future for her, but I feel that manuals focus the mind a bit better and give a better understanding of how cats work on the road. Just my opinion and I know many will disagree.

OK, another possibility is a manual mazda 2 hatchback. I think for 545K baht. It does have two airbags and abs, but no immobiliser. For a small car with manual transmission, that would be my choice. Either that or forego the abs and get the swift. She'll really then have to concentrate on driving:) Mind you I've hardly ever activated abs in my car, so perhaps it's not even that necessary.

OK, another possibility is a manual mazda 2 hatchback. I think for 545K baht. It does have two airbags and abs, but no immobiliser. For a small car with manual transmission, that would be my choice. Either that or forego the abs and get the swift. She'll really then have to concentrate on driving:) Mind you I've hardly ever activated abs in my car, so perhaps it's not even that necessary.

Well, it always depends on how you drive... But if you know to "pump the brakes", then I believe you do not really need ABS, provided of course, you can also keep your reflexes about you. So far, I have not activated ABS either, but that's mostly due to defensive driving.

I have a sport function on my car (meaning, I can switch gears manually if I want to), but so far, have not used it at all, because I found it was distracting my attention from the traffic (extremely important to never lose of sight all that happens around you over here).

Ok, went for another test drive today. I can actually see the Suzy being quite fun to drive, you have to keep it high in the rev range, but it doesn't mind a bit of a canning. Yes, I know that is not what it's designed for. I took it up to 150kmph and it didn't feel like it was dying or about to explode. I also did a quick stop from 100 in damp/dry conditions and the tyres chirped without locking up. The power of the brakes were certainly better than my pick up, which I guess is to be expected.

The only sticking point I have is the lack of a 'deal'. No discount, only por ra bor free. Even if I went for the body kit upgrades, there was no discount and a lack of freebies.

The changing of the wheels I reported earlier in this thread is not happening. We cannot get the Suzuki alloys for 10k. The saleswomen just thinks that is what we would pay for wheels at a wheel shop. No chance I reckon. I have no idea how much wheels and tyres would cost, but I would be astonished if they could be had for 10k.

The full bodykit is about 30k, but that is un-painted. Add another 10k for the paint. Too expensive I think. She did say that a Swift Sport body kit is coming out next year.

I also enquired about getting the fog lamps put in from the Glx, and the price was 18k. Suzuki parts seem expensive to me.

Anyway, I put a deposit down and was told I should expect it in under 2 months.

Anyone that has bought one, can you let me know if you got a deal or not. They seemed very reluctant to give anything extra except a key holder. If I get tints, how much should I pay and is 3M the company to go for? How much to get it rush proofed?

And anything else I should know.

Thank you.

mjj

Don't know about deals on the Suzuki Swift, but if there is an important demand, I guess they can be miser with their offer.

The thing to do is to "shop around": take their offer and go ask another dealership what they can offer more.

All in all, that sounds as a bad deal and I would be walking away from it as for me. Most competitors would offer you at least 1st class insurance and tints for free. In my view, the "body kit" seems a lot of money wasted just for adding weight to the car, but to each its own.

Tints are often a question of personal preference and can be done aftermarket. I would advise to go for Lamina. Here also, depending on your choice, can go from 3.000 THB (dealer-made with cheap film) to 14-15 K (special high-quality film). Rust-proofing: from the posts around on this forum, about 4.500 THB.

Cost of wheels... Well depends what rims you want to get, etc... But can go anywhere from 4 K to 10 K per wheel. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/191697-rough-price-for-custom-rims/

Another point you should have examined before buying, was the cost of parts. When you combine all the elements together, this might end up seriously hiking up your ownership cost. The cuteness factor also comes with a cost. Do not forget that often the dealers will take a margin on any accessories... Should you fit on a non-standard or non-approved accessory, it could void your warranty, so make sure with the dealer this is not the case.

Ok, went for another test drive today. I can actually see the Suzy being quite fun to drive, you have to keep it high in the rev range, but it doesn't mind a bit of a canning. Yes, I know that is not what it's designed for. I took it up to 150kmph and it didn't feel like it was dying or about to explode. I also did a quick stop from 100 in damp/dry conditions and the tyres chirped without locking up. The power of the brakes were certainly better than my pick up, which I guess is to be expected.

The only sticking point I have is the lack of a 'deal'. No discount, only por ra bor free. Even if I went for the body kit upgrades, there was no discount and a lack of freebies.

The changing of the wheels I reported earlier in this thread is not happening. We cannot get the Suzuki alloys for 10k. The saleswomen just thinks that is what we would pay for wheels at a wheel shop. No chance I reckon. I have no idea how much wheels and tyres would cost, but I would be astonished if they could be had for 10k.

The full bodykit is about 30k, but that is un-painted. Add another 10k for the paint. Too expensive I think. She did say that a Swift Sport body kit is coming out next year.

I also enquired about getting the fog lamps put in from the Glx, and the price was 18k. Suzuki parts seem expensive to me.

Anyway, I put a deposit down and was told I should expect it in under 2 months.

Anyone that has bought one, can you let me know if you got a deal or not. They seemed very reluctant to give anything extra except a key holder. If I get tints, how much should I pay and is 3M the company to go for? How much to get it rush proofed?

And anything else I should know.

Thank you.

mjj

Not much in the way of freebies - it's a popular vehicle and the margins on the ecocars are small. Shame about the insurance, but even the brio didn't offer it when I inquired. I think you can get it with the mirage, and last time I checked the march didn't offer it either.

For the wheels, I think the sales girl mean't you take your car to wheels shop and swap your wheels for a new set and pay 10K on top. For 16" that's probably about right. 17" would cost more.

I agree the body kit is too expensive - you can get aftermarket for 1/3 of this. The fog lamps at 18K is crazy. Aftermarket they are available for less than 3K.

Haggle for what you can get for free, then just go aftermarket for the other parts.

I saw a comparison with a "competitor", for normal spare parts - they are similar to this competitor...cheaper actually.

For those who have ordered a Swift, how long was the given waiting time, on which dealer?

According to this article (in thai) http://www.9carthai.com/%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%A7-suzuki-swift-suzuki-%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B4-%E0%B8%A2-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2/

Based on an approximative translation it seems there are 17000 models already ordered and the factory can only produce 2000 per month. A car ordered today would be delivered in may/june next year... Too long for me!

• Like 1

Culicine,

We decided to go without any mods at the moment. Part of the reason for this is to get the kit sprayed is around 10k and in the future we want the car sprayed yellow. Being a cheapskate I hate paying for things twice, so to get the kit sprayed twice in a year seems daft. Also with the kit making the bodywork lower, mrs mjj is more likely to scrap it on a kerb.

So we have ordered blue with no extras. Teach mrs mjj to drive and after 6 months of driving,spray it and add some mods to it. Personally I'm not too keen on the body kits without a bit of extra go, so hopefully more engine enhancements will be available then too.

Pistachios, maybe those cars are autos? I've ordered a manual.

For those who have ordered a Swift, how long was the given waiting time, on which dealer?

According to this article (in thai) http://www.9carthai....¸µà¸«à¸™à¹‰à¸²/

Based on an approximative translation it seems there are 17000 models already ordered and the factory can only produce 2000 per month. A car ordered today would be delivered in may/june next year... Too long for me!

I ordered in August, was told June delivery. But I thought I read somewhere the backlog should be cleared by the end of the year. So I'm hopeful it could be this year. I know someone who ordered a week after me, and they were told July delivery. Suzuki really have out done themselves, not being able to keep up with demand. Luckily I already have a car, and this will just be our economical daily driver, with my ageing civic for weekend runs. It will feel like a sports car after driving a swift all week 555.

• 2 weeks later...

I did ordered the new Swift in the first week of June in the GLX version (Snow White Pearl). They said delivery will be in January. Indeed you need to shop around. With some dealers you don't get anything at all and can pay even your plate holder. I was lucky that I found a dealer nearby my house who could offer me film, matts and the plate holder. Well at least something. But I need to pay my own insurance and my back sensors (in color) for THB 5,000. But then you have for me the most irritating point and that are those Suzuki dealers. I don't like all of them, they act not professional and have also a kind of arrogancy. Even with a long delivery time they act like they have the "car of the future". Pity for a car like the new Swift to have this kind of dealers, because the car deserve more.

Secondly what I don't like is the way of communication. Some dealers say delivery in 4 months, others 6 months and some 1 year. Well, what is it now? I think Suzuki don't know it themselves. But I really don't like the lack of info. On the suzuki website not one word about the long delivery times. Even other media don't talk about it. Only promoting a car they can deliver in the most worse case after 1 year! That's what I call arrogancy first class. Last time I read in the Bangkok Post an article that Suzuki Thailand will only make Swift's for their own Thai customers and will not export to neighbour countries for the time being due to shorten the delivery times. After that... very very quiet!

At least inform your customers as a manufacturer. And when you ask your dealer (when you get them on the phone...) if they know already some more about the delivery time, you get the answer... "it's still not January, you want to cancel?" Is that the answer a customer is waiting for? The point is that a dealer knows exactly when your car will be delivered. They order the car at the factory and every month they got from the factory a update in paper and in their computer system in which week the car will be manufactured. Put another week extra and the car is at the dealer. So why the dealer don't give that information when a customer ask for it? Afraid the factory will submerged in the coming months? Otherwise I don't know. I asked my friend who works with Nissan and all manufacturers in Thailand works with the same principle I just described.

Indeed I'm thinking to look further, because this arrogancy says enough for the near future. We drive also a Honda Jazz and perhaps I'm spoiled by the Honda organization where I got always a smile and at least the proper information I need. When we ordered our Jazz last time we had the problems with flooding and at least we got a nice letter with an apology and that the car will come as soon as possible. Eventually it was 3 weeks later as planned. That's communication towards a paying customer. We don't buy a bottle of water for 15 baht!

I did ordered the new Swift in the first week of June in the GLX version (Snow White Pearl). They said delivery will be in January. Indeed you need to shop around. With some dealers you don't get anything at all and can pay even your plate holder. I was lucky that I found a dealer nearby my house who could offer me film, matts and the plate holder. Well at least something. But I need to pay my own insurance and my back sensors (in color) for THB 5,000. But then you have for me the most irritating point and that are those Suzuki dealers. I don't like all of them, they act not professional and have also a kind of arrogancy. Even with a long delivery time they act like they have the "car of the future". Pity for a car like the new Swift to have this kind of dealers, because the car deserve more.

Secondly what I don't like is the way of communication. Some dealers say delivery in 4 months, others 6 months and some 1 year. Well, what is it now? I think Suzuki don't know it themselves. But I really don't like the lack of info. On the suzuki website not one word about the long delivery times. Even other media don't talk about it. Only promoting a car they can deliver in the most worse case after 1 year! That's what I call arrogancy first class. Last time I read in the Bangkok Post an article that Suzuki Thailand will only make Swift's for their own Thai customers and will not export to neighbour countries for the time being due to shorten the delivery times. After that... very very quiet!

At least inform your customers as a manufacturer. And when you ask your dealer (when you get them on the phone...) if they know already some more about the delivery time, you get the answer... "it's still not January, you want to cancel?" Is that the answer a customer is waiting for? The point is that a dealer knows exactly when your car will be delivered. They order the car at the factory and every month they got from the factory a update in paper and in their computer system in which week the car will be manufactured. Put another week extra and the car is at the dealer. So why the dealer don't give that information when a customer ask for it? Afraid the factory will submerged in the coming months? Otherwise I don't know. I asked my friend who works with Nissan and all manufacturers in Thailand works with the same principle I just described.

Indeed I'm thinking to look further, because this arrogancy says enough for the near future. We drive also a Honda Jazz and perhaps I'm spoiled by the Honda organization where I got always a smile and at least the proper information I need. When we ordered our Jazz last time we had the problems with flooding and at least we got a nice letter with an apology and that the car will come as soon as possible. Eventually it was 3 weeks later as planned. That's communication towards a paying customer. We don't buy a bottle of water for 15 baht!

If you don't like Suzuki try Toyota they are a bunch of arrogant asshol_e's on Samui. I for one like the Swift and will look soon to order one as a run around.

If you don't like Suzuki try Toyota they are a bunch of arrogant asshol_e's on Samui. I for one like the Swift and will look soon to order one as a run around.

Well I don't like Toyota cars, so for me it's easy to skip them, haha. Wish you good luck in ordering your Swift, hope you have a long breathe ;)