I-Phones Why So Expensive? Where Can I Buy Cheap?

debbielong

They are so expensive because of the outrageous government taxes levied on them. They are considered "luxury goods" in Thailand. It's the same reason why a bottle of mediocre French red table wine that would sell for 2 euros in Europe here in Thailand costs 800 Baht and above. It's the same reason why a Mercedes Benz - even if assembled in Thailand - is still three to four times more expensive here than in the motherland. If you desperately need an iPhone and don't want to pay your shirt for it, try buying a second hand one.

• Like 1

Apple products are invariably overpriced regardless of where one buys them and it's all down to Apple's business plan; buy in a Chinese product, bung it in a box that cost more to design than the content did, put a silly price on it and wait for the magpies to open their wallets. And boy does it work!

Just use Android phone. there are a lot more options and their features are much better than Iphone. I have a Sony model Ray and compare to my wife's Iphone is a lot better phone and a lot cheaper

Edited by givenall

Why does everyone have to compare prices to the UK all the time, the UK is now a thirld world country that is bankrupt with rampant inflation and run by a bunh of retards. SE Asia is now the powerhouse of the world, we are not in the 1960's anymore...well into the 21st Century......pay the price or get something cheaper if its not within your budget..personally I think IPhones are rubbish and threw mine away!!!

SE Asia is now the powerhouse of the world, we are not in the 1960's anymore...well into the 21st Century.

Maybe in 50 years SE Asia will catch up to Europe/ UK/ USA in GDP per capita. In hours of average salary to buy an IPhone, I think they're much cheaper in the west.

As for me, I chose an Android and I'm very happy with it. I paid a lot more for it than I would have in the USA because mine isn't locked to a specific service provider and I'm not handcuffed to an expensive 2 year service plan with extremely stiff early cancellation penalties.

Just use Android phone. there are a lot more options and their features are much better than Iphone. I have a Sony model Ray and compare to my wife's Iphone is a lot better phone and a lot cheaper

I have quite extensive experience with Android and IoS devices, phone and tablets included. I would like to know how the features of an android are so much better than an iPhone. Your vague comparisons do nothing for your argument.

• Like 1

I would like to know how the features of an android are so much better than an iPhone. Your vague comparisons do nothing for your argument.

The features are very similar. The main difference between an Android phone and an iProduct is that the Android phone will be much cheaper to buy and will never require you to pay money to Apple (or indeed anyone else) in order to use it. Buy an Apple product and it is almost impossible not to give money to Apple from that point on.

My Android smartphone cost me GBP90 with no contract and is now running the very latest Android operating system (ICS). I have never paid a bean to anyone to use it, apart from my prepaid True card of course. And for that I am still on my original 50B charge which I have topped up just once with another 50B. So 100B in 18 months.

I'm not aware that the iPhone can do anything worthwhile that my Android phone cant do.

I currently have an Andriod phone (Samsung Google Nexus - the new one) and i hate it... wish i hadnt sold my old iPhone 4. This is my Third Andriod device within the last 2 years and i assure you... it will be my last.

Whilst Apple is a bit more expensive, its far more robust (software/OS) than Andriod, performs better (in my experience) and jsut seems to hold upto my usage demands better than my current phone.

I am looking for a cheap 4s now. Or a way to get the price reduced (use credit card reward points etc) - as soon as i can find a suitable deal *or* the iPhone 5 comes out, i will be dropping the andriod quicker than a hot stone.

Survey any random 10 Android users, and 6-7 of them will tell you they wish they had an iPhone. Android apps are sub-par...they are made poorly cause decent devs can't make any money on Android. NO ONE develops for Android first...a dev puts his blood, sweat and tears into an iOS app and chunks out something later for Android as an afterthought.

Seriously, if you want quality with quality apps and you appreciate good experience using the phone, get an iPhone or iPad. If you want something cheap that'll just do....and you don't care about the experience...and you don't care about rewarding a good dev with a few dollars, and want free pirated apps.....get an Android.

The features are very similar. The main difference between an Android phone and an iProduct is that the Android phone will be much cheaper to buy and will never require you to pay money to Apple (or indeed anyone else) in order to use it. Buy an Apple product and it is almost impossible not to give money to Apple from that point on.

I'm not aware that the iPhone can do anything worthwhile that my Android phone cant do.

Agreed. A few years back, one of my neighbors asked me to help load some photos and/or music onto her new IPad. I tried, but failed. Found out it was because Apple didn't allow that data transfer over the USB port- they wanted her to buy everything that would go onto her Apple device from Apple approved sources ($$$ to Apple). I know there are ways around the restrictions- many of which void the warranty, and I really don't want to try that hard...especially after forking over $600 for a device.

When it came time to break down and buy a smartphone, I went with the Samsung SII for 18K Baht and haven't regretted not choosing the Apple for one minute. It wasn't really even cheaper than the IPhones. I've loaded it up with free apps from the Android market- some great some not so great, but all free and none pirated. I've got videos, music, and audio books simply copied over from my hard drives- no muss no fuss and no additional $$$. GPS? Got it- free and legal. USB tethering and using my cell as a wifi hotspot? Got it- free. I didn't even have to give my credit card info to anyone- just my gmail address- one of my many.

I'm not slamming Apple users at all. Some of my best friends use Apple (and I really missed my Mac when I had to use Windows for work back in the '90's). I'm just not one of them.

Edited by impulse

Apple products are invariably overpriced regardless of where one buys them and it's all down to Apple's business plan; buy in a Chinese product, bung it in a box that cost more to design than the content did, put a silly price on it and wait for the magpies to open their wallets. And boy does it work!

How can products that are hugely popular and sell in their millions every month be 'overpriced'?

Surely if they were overpriced they wouldn't sell?

You do understand the basic laws of supply and demand, don' t you?

• Like 1

How can products that are hugely popular and sell in their millions every month be 'overpriced'?

Surely if they were overpriced they wouldn't sell?

You do understand the basic laws of supply and demand, don' t you?

Actually there is a word that accounts for Apples success and that is image, To be seen with a iphone , particularly in image conscious regions like Asia is far more important than practical considerations such as function or reliability and this is doubly so with young affulent or hope to be seen as affluent young people. Please don't get me wrong , i am not saying that these qualities such as function and reliability are absent in Apple products (altho i do have my doubts after using some apple products) but the marketing and the creating a closed system that Apple has created is amazing. It's success has very little to do with supply and demand and everything to do with image ,marketing and design.

It should also be noted that iPhones sold in the US through carriers such as AT&T and Verizon are heavily subsided by those carriers. Those carriers cover a lot of the cost in exchange for you agreeing to sign a usage contract with them. The Thai carriers do not take part in this subsidy strategy and thus, you pay here the same amount you would pay Apple to buy an unlocked phone from apple.com. I just bought 2 myself directly from Apple for use in Thailand.

Not sure if its been said anywhere, but give some additional information for those planning to buy direct from apple.

4S as it turns out seems to have a bit of an issue with hardware. All times, including sms, lock screen, music player, skype etc stop to work.

I have the very same problem.

I contacted Apple and was given 2 options

1. Take it to service provider(i am with True) so to True, but i am liable to pay all costs(even though phone is under warranty)

2. Take it to service center, the only ones they have are in Bangkok, i am in Pattaya

I have spent 3 days on the phone fighting with Apple and finally managed to achieve something that i could live with :)

So if you do buy direct from Apple, be aware should it break and you are not in Bkk- you are screwed :)

I would now suggest to pay extra 1000 baht and buy from either Dtac or AIS or True, then at least if it breaks, you can have it fixed for free and near home

• Like 1

A few years back, one of my neighbors asked me to help load some photos and/or music onto her new IPad. I tried, but failed. Found out it was because Apple didn't allow that data transfer over the USB port- they wanted her to buy everything that would go onto her Apple device from Apple approved sources ($$$ to Apple).

Utterly false. Apple does force you to transfer music and photos via iTunes, but this is far from having to buy everything again. If you honestly think that, and aren't misrepresenting to prove some point, then I can see why you failed.

Not sure if its been said anywhere, but give some additional information for those planning to buy direct from apple.

4S as it turns out seems to have a bit of an issue with hardware. All times, including sms, lock screen, music player, skype etc stop to work.

I have the very same problem.

* Some 4S have issues.

Mine, and a mate's (both bought 19 January from MBK), have not once had any of those problems.