Physical Assault By Bangkok Taxi Driver

freakingcat2

One month ago I was cheated (didn't want to give me the proper change) of HKD 3.00 ( about US$ 0.5) by a taxi at HK airport. For about half a second I thought I'm going to hit him so badly that he will never even think to do it again. Then I thought I will have to wait for the police to come, will probably miss my flight ... what the point ?

I didn't close the door properly so he had to go out to close it. It was a bit childish but he was as annoyed as I was to be cheated of HKD 3.00

Don't sweat the small things, it's definitely not worth it

:blink: HKD 3 ... 12 baht? Are you for real to even bother to write up this post for 12 baht, never mind considering nasty things to the taxi driver?

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

98% of all potential taxi problems can be avoided by following this simple rule:

Don't EVER catch a cab from a hotel or common foreign tourist spot. If you are at one of these locations, walk down the street at least 200 m and catch one.

I've been taking a taxi from Soi Rangnam (NOT near a hotel) to my job on Ramkhamhaeng for 3 years (hundreds of trips) and I have NEVER EVEN ONCE had a cab driver NOT turn on the meter or try to rip me of in ANY way shape or form. I get crazy driving habits occasionally...other than that, no problems

Edited by FreedomDude
  • Like 2

Only ever had two problems in 5 years, first one the Taxi from Swampy to Mochit , thought I was a complete newbie, turned the meter on but i quickly realised it was running at about 3 times normal speed, when we got to Mochit I refused to pay and told him why, asked him to call the Police, he refused and asked what I wanted to pay, I gave him what I normally pay and walked away. Second time was from Mochit into Bangkok, driver didnt want to use the motorways which was unusual as thats what they usually say straight away, off he drove and fell asleep behind the wheel whilst stopped in a traffic queue, me and the wife just got out and left him there.

Most of the time I get no problems, only ones with attitude seem to be the ones hanging around outside hotels etc, I always flag one down that's moving, usually try to get an older guy. Less likely to be on something and generally nicer guys.

• Like 2

WOW, you handled this all wrong. You should have asked him politely to hit the meter and then simply got out of the taxi at the first opportunity.

My general experience with taxi's are great. Exceptions are the a**holes at Sai Tai Mai.

In twenty years I have only had one unpleasant experience - not a total blowout, and a few situations of attempting to be long-hauled (as was the aforementioned) and a few OK ya got me, >flips on meter<. I wish all taxi drivers in the world were as easy going as the Thai's!

NEVER EVER TAKE A STANDING TAXI, ESPECIALLY IF THE DRIVER IS OUT OF THE CAR MILLING ABOUT SMOKING OR SOLICITING FARES AND DOUBLE TRIPLE IF HE HAS ANY SORT OF CARD IN HIS HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also agree to not take cabs from highly tourist-ed areas AND speak as much Thai as you can to him. If possible - know your route obviously!

Edited by bangkokburning

Im not clear if this happened when you were getting in the cab or after you had arrived at a destination. Im assuming it happened at the destination. ignore me if i am in error.

The taxi driver was clearly in the wrong for attacking you, however you put yourself into this situation.

It is up to you make sure the meter is on or get out of the cab.

The fact of the matter is that once you have arrived at the destination, meter or no, the taxi driver has provided you a service for which you are obliged to pay.

I personally would have dropped the approximate metered fare in the front seat and walked on. Having tacitly accepted the service i would not expect to ride free even if it were to make a point.

mess with somebody's living and you are going to get hurt.

Edited by nocturn

One month ago I was cheated (didn't want to give me the proper change) of HKD 3.00 ( about US$ 0.5) by a taxi at HK airport. For about half a second I thought I'm going to hit him so badly that he will never even think to do it again. Then I thought I will have to wait for the police to come, will probably miss my flight ... what the point ?

I didn't close the door properly so he had to go out to close it. It was a bit childish but he was as annoyed as I was to be cheated of HKD 3.00

blink.png HKD 3 ... 12 baht? Are you for real to even bother to write up this post for 12 baht, never mind considering nasty things to the taxi driver?

just gotta laugh at these folks who think its ok to "cheat" if its only a "small" amount O dear

Im not clear if this happened when you were getting in the cab or after you had arrived at a destination. Im assuming it happened at the destination. ignore me if i am in error.

The way I read it is that the incident happened while trying to use the taxi to get home, and the altercation occurred with the OP's refusal to discuss a non-metered fare with him.

blink.png HKD 3 ... 12 baht? Are you for real to even bother to write up this post for 12 baht, never mind considering nasty things to the taxi driver?

just gotta laugh at these folks who think its ok to "cheat" if its only a "small" amount O dear

Its not ok to cheat, but its also not a smart thing to get violent for 12bt. I would show my dismay but i would not resort to violence. That is always a stupid thing to do especially if your not a native of that country.

I see some peeps are telling the OP they never had problems with taxi drivers - well lucky them. But I hope they don't also go around telling gang rape victims that they were personally never raped in LOS. :)

• Like 2

Something to tell the grandchildren ! "I thought about hitting him so badly, that he would never even think to do it again". I thought this thread was about crazy drivers, not about crazy customers ?

I see some peeps are telling the OP they never had problems with taxi drivers - well lucky them. But I hope they don't also go around telling gang rape victims that they were personally never raped in LOS. smile.png

AH yes could you please tell me how many rape victims have posted it here and how you come to put them in the same category ?

• Like 1

You wanted to physically assault him and then left the door open, over 50 cents. And you then tell us not to sweat the small things?

I see some peeps are telling the OP they never had problems with taxi drivers - well lucky them. But I hope they don't also go around telling gang rape victims that they were personally never raped in LOS. smile.png

AH yes could you please tell me how many rape victims have posted it here and how you come to put them in the same category ?

Who mentioned posting on here? :rolleyes:

I have had a few run ins with taxi drivers mostly over turning on the meter or going 50 k in the wrong direction.

They all think we are rich dumb farangs.

The most recent being in Samut Phrakan near the ferry terminal.

We got a taxi from my wifes uncles house to the ferry to go home to Phrapradaeng.

She left her bag in the taxi with her phone in it.

After he drove off i called her phone for 30 minutes untill it was obvious he was going to keep the bag.

Nothing in it but her phone and id card.

I did not get the taxi number.

It is a yellow and green and what makes it stand out is the taxi has I LOVE FARANG on the drivers side window in white stickers.

So obviously he was out of his territory in Samut Phrakan and he would be a tourist area taxi.

I would love to hear from anyone that knows an i love farang, yellow and green taxi.

I have seen it once in Sukhumvit in soi 4 while i was sitting in a bar.

Unfortunatly he was gone by the time i got after him

The 'I Love Farang' stickers are on a fair few taxis. They were part of one of those 'miracle Thailand' or 'secret Bangkok' tourist schmoozes a few years ago and some taxis still carry them. Whatever you do, don't run up to the next yellow & green taxi with a 'I Love Farang' sticker, bang on the window and start yelling at the driver. Chances are it aint the one who stole your wife's purse took advantage of your wife's forgetfullness and he may just have a tire iron or machete at hand.

You wanted to physically assault him and then left the door open, over 50 cents. And you then tell us not to sweat the small things?

Did I tell you that I have an anger management problem ?

Edited : which is very much under control.

Edited by JurgenG

Thanks for the many posts. Of course incident happened last night, which was 24th April. After trying to get some help and I realized it was not possible, I decided to write up this incident and post it on this forum. As I was still quite shaken, I made a mistake with the date. Today is a new day and we will get over it. Still, if things like this happen, it makes you think a lot.

Note to other people: According to Payboy, you are only allowed to contribute to this thread if you have a lot of problems wih taxi drivers. If you don't have problems, don't offer any advice. You MUST be lying if you don't have many taxi problems. We have nothing to learn from you if you make such outlandish claims.

Note to other people: According to Payboy, you are only allowed to contribute to this thread if you have a lot of problems wih taxi drivers. If you don't have problems, don't offer any advice. You MUST be lying if you don't have many taxi problems. We have nothing to learn from you if you make such outlandish claims.

Great post - now go back to your other persona in the political threads. ;)

Fifteen years ago I was half assaulted by a guy in Chiang Mai because I didn't want to buy heroin from him. I'm not an user, the guy just assumed that all foreigners were drug user and was very upset that I didn't want to do business with him.

Nutsy are everywhere, it's a a fact of life, get over it.

Exact same thing happened to me in Tangiers. I ended up getting stabbed in the hand and my assaulter ended up with a severely broken arm.

• Like 1

Not closing the door? Childish? Absolutely! But I have done it too. :)

I speak enough thai to explain him that we wont take his take and that we will call 1584

Sorry to hear about this

You won't take his take ?? what does that mean?

As my friend and I were in shock we drove home.

You had a vehicle? Why did you need a taxi?

And neither of them own a mobile 'phone they could have used to call the police or complaint line themselves?

Sorry you had such a scary experience Cat. You have the worst luck with taxis.

I am yet to have a taxi refuse to turn on a meter in 6 years and maybe a few hundred rides. I always open the door, say where I'm going, they decide if they want it, I get in and the meter begins.

I find it a little strange that the OP interjects the phrase "as usual" when referring to the drivers refusal to turn on the meter. In the last 5 years i can only think of a couple of times (out of a thousand plus) taxi rides when i have had any issue with the guy not turning the meter on. Its also just not an issue i hear about, as a major problem in bangkok, from other expats that i know. 90%+ of the drivers, in my experience, are polite and many seem to try hard (eg music down and air up) to give a reasonable service. Obviously, though, one has to follow some basic rules eg never use a standing cab (tout) always hail one down, if he refuses the meter remain polite, ask him to stop and khop khun khrap , mai pen rai khrap, and get out.

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

closing the door strongly aka slamming ( not mentioned in the original post) is a pretty provocative thing to do to any cab driver anywhere! sorry about the incident but thats the truth.

Edited by wordchild