What Whiske/Y Should I Buy A Thai Man As A Gift

ShanePashen

Black Label is definitely the safest choice. Although Red Label is perfectly acceptable as well imo. The vast majority are just going to mix it with 90% coke and soda water anyway.

Although a bottle of decent gin or vodka would be fine too. Maybe he might appreciate something a bit different. You are allowed to take your own bottle of whiskey to bars and restaurants in Thailand, so a nice looking bottle of something they don't normally have might be nice

Years ago while working for a Thai company my Thai boss would stop be occasionally. I don't like any scotch but decided to buy a bottle of JW Red Label for the next time he stopped. While he was sitting in the living room, I got out the bottle of Red Label. He came right out and told me that he couldn't drink Red Label because it was just too rough tasting and thet Black Label was much better.

A few days later I stopped at a friends bar and picked up an empty Black Label bottle. I took it home and poured the Red label into that bottle. The next time my boss stopped by, he had the Red Label from the Black Label bottle and thought it was great and very smooth. That is a true story and confirmed my belief that it is the cost of the booze and not the booze itself. I probably wouldn't have done that if he drank it straight with no mixers.

I was impressed until the last sentence

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the 'e' makes all the differencesmile.png ( not in the morning however!!)

Just say 'no' to drugs

SC

Every thing is/was a drug, even my sherbert dab. tongue.png

But surely one should be able to drink oneself to incontinent unconsciousness without taking Ecstasy as well?

I'd keep shtum about the dabs if you don't want to stay at the Hilton...

SC

You don't know what a sherbert dab is, do you ?

...\...

Every thing is/was a drug, even my sherbert dab. tongue.png

But surely one should be able to drink oneself to incontinent unconsciousness without taking Ecstasy as well?

I'd keep shtum about the dabs if you don't want to stay at the Hilton...

SC

As I recall it was a piece of sweety licquorice dipped in a tube of sherbert, available in a variety of flavours. THey looked vaguely reminiscent of sticks of dynamite. I have a recollection that E.Nesbitt was the brand, but I could be getting confused with the railway children... and sure enough, it's Barratt's.

SC

This gift will be the beginning of a very wonderful relationship I imagine.

well put it tgis way it'll probably cost me about 1000 baht I imagine give or take. $Aud30

and It's not a bad way to start, a handshake and a small present.

And it lets him know where to come when he needs to borrow money.

Concur with all the other 'JW Black' recommendations for all the same reasons.

I've met very few Thais- even those who had fairly expensive tastes and budgest- who REALLY liked very strong-flavoured whisky- and they won't be offended by JW Black even if they do, 'cause it's the usual 'status' bottle for the proletariat here- who definitely use it as a mixer drink (and thank god).

You stick a digit in it then suck it. A lemony taste if I recall from my youth

Oh, yuuk. Gross! What do you think the licquorice is for?

If I thought he was going to stick his clarty paw in it I'd have never suggested getting the BIL a sherbet dab.

Oh, I need a tiger to clear my palate just thinking about that.

SC

If you're fully committed to buying him whisky, I would recommend something in a nice tin that he can usefully keep, by way of a reminder, after he's necked the whisky. Unless you;d rather he didn't remember you.

SC

• Like 1

Black Label is definitely the safest choice. Although Red Label is perfectly acceptable as well imo. The vast majority are just going to mix it with 90% coke and soda water anyway.

Although a bottle of decent gin or vodka would be fine too. Maybe he might appreciate something a bit different. You are allowed to take your own bottle of whiskey to bars and restaurants in Thailand, so a nice looking bottle of something they don't normally have might be nice

Years ago while working for a Thai company my Thai boss would stop be occasionally. I don't like any scotch but decided to buy a bottle of JW Red Label for the next time he stopped. While he was sitting in the living room, I got out the bottle of Red Label. He came right out and told me that he couldn't drink Red Label because it was just too rough tasting and thet Black Label was much better.

A few days later I stopped at a friends bar and picked up an empty Black Label bottle. I took it home and poured the Red label into that bottle. The next time my boss stopped by, he had the Red Label from the Black Label bottle and thought it was great and very smooth. That is a true story and confirmed my belief that it is the cost of the booze and not the booze itself. I probably wouldn't have done that if he drank it straight with no mixers.

Ooooh... you're walking a thin line there. I think I could recognise the difference. I drink Black or Chivas with Soda and a dash of coke when out on the sauce with friends. It's mainly for the fact that the hangover is reduced when compared to Red Label.

Perhaps your boss noticed but took the more commonly adopted course of action for Thai's and said nothing - You are now a marked man !!! ;-)

And not only that, what about the tin seal on the bottle lid? That must have been broken so the boss would have noticed that the bottle had been tampered with.

Not a smart move.

I prefer the black label to the gold ,don't know why just seems better

Shane if you are flying trough Singapore they are selling the new xr johnney walker ,wouldn't suggest it for a present ,keep it for yourself it was about 110sing dollars I bought a bottle at Christmas,

Looks good on display pretty cool presentation case

• Like 1

91 gasahol at PTT, thats all hyou need!

I have such a feeling he gonna taste that it's not the real thing..............

That's why I suggested pink diesel. You'd probably want to keep the lights down low, though, and make sure there's no UV...