The Big Cats Bringing In A Roaring Trade At Thailand'S Controversial Tiger Temple (But Why Are They So Docile Around Tourists?)

Boater

• Tourists are permitted to pet and pose for pictures with the big cats
  • The sanctuary is run by monks for orphaned tigers

On first glance, you might assume these incredible images of tigers were taken in the wild.

The big cats are seen in all their majesty as they playfully frolic in a water pool.

However, these photographs were snapped at a sanctuary for orphaned tigers run by Buddhist monks - fast becoming one of Thailand's most popular tourist attractions.

article-2134460-12BE4DAF000005DC-852_634x422.jpg

Big cats: A brave tourist poses for souvenir photographs with a tiger at the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi province, Thailand

article-2134460-12BE4BB6000005DC-571_634x428.jpg

Human contact: The sanctuary is run by Buddhist monks and staffed by volunteers who help feed, walk and play with the tigers

article-2134460-12BE49D1000005DC-934_634x433.jpg

The temple is renowned for its practice of letting visiting tourists pet the tigers - after having paid a fee to have their pictures taken with the animals

One of the reasons for its popularity could be that it is one of the few places in the world where visitors are allowed to pet and pose for pictures with the carnivores.

The Tiger Temple in the western province of Kanchanaburi - about 80 km from Bangkok - began life in 1999 when the first female cub was brought to Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno, a Buddhist sanctuary, and was cared for by the monks.

Edited by Boater

ive heard the tigers are under anasthethic sedation so their agressive nature is passive

same with the crocodiles ,overfed and drugged up so theyre too lazy to bite the idiots

annoying them to entertain farangs

Only a matter of time until someone gets killed by one of these tigers. There will be an attack eventually, these are dangerous animals that can never be totally controlled. Even Roy got mauled by one of his tigers. And a few years ago a teenage girl in the US was killed while taking her photo with a captive tiger at a private zoo. It will happen at this zoo too.

Only a matter of time until someone gets killed by one of these tigers. There will be an attack eventually, these are dangerous animals that can never be totally controlled. Even Roy got mauled by one of his tigers. And a few years ago a teenage girl in the US was killed while taking her photo with a captive tiger at a private zoo. It will happen at this zoo too.

heres how fast a lion can kill a man ,frightening stuff ....

http://www.ebaumswor...o/watch/427330/

and when they decide to eat you ,they dont change their mind ....

http://www.break.com/usercontent/2011/6/1/graphic-footage-man-getting-eaten-alive-by-a-lion-2065735

Edited by wana

http://www.break.com...-a-lion-2065735

Why did it take so long to get the policeman with the gun? ( I know you can't answer this, just rhetorical)

http://www.break.com...-a-lion-2065735

Why did it take so long to get the policeman with the gun? ( I know you can't answer this, just rhetorical)

a quote underneath mentioned it was a fake? , but maybe they had to call the policeman, so it took some time for him to get there?

Took some guests there recently. Many farang "volunteers" and double-pricing price has just gone up. They wanted to charge me the farang price so I decided to stay out. sad.png

Edited by Payboy

All tigers care about is eating and sleeping. Seems like they get plenty of both here. Why ruin a good thing........

I think this is the truth. The tigers are also used to being handled and are chained to the rock, so you only need to jump about a foot and they can't get you. Plus, any agitated ones aren't brought out.

There are other places in the world where you can come in contact with captive tigers, and not all in developing countries.

It might have turned from an orphaned tiger into a money making opportunity in which either already does or will include illegal trafficking of tiger cubs.

I have no desire to see a chained up tiger. Thats probably because I grew up in the UK with Safari Parks, so I understand the desire for some who have never seen a tiger in the flesh to wish to do so. However, Thailand already has a Safari Park where the tigers and lions roam more freely.

To allow untrained humans direct contact with such animals is negligent of those in charge and stupid of those wishing to participate.

The double charging simply confirms its nothing more than a money making venture.

Edited by richard_smith237

^

I heard that Thais pay the same price as non-Thais. Has this changed now "Payboy" ?coffee1.gif

Win

Yup: sad.png

And they make you fill up a disclaimer in English or Thai - If you fill it in English - you pay the farang rate. sad.png

Edited by Payboy

There will be an attack eventually

Has happened but a while ago.

NZ aid worker mauled in Thai tiger enclosure

A New Zealand woman is in hospital after being mauled by a tiger in Thailand.

Ruth Corlett, 45, was at an enclosure on Sunday with her family when the female tiger jumped at her and bit her leg.

Mrs Corlett was rushed to hospital, where she received 54 stitches on the wound.

Thai media reported that Mrs Corlett touched the year-old tiger's head before it jumped at her in the Khumsu Chiang Mai Tiger Centre.

nzherald

Also: "Tourists may observe this from some 10m away, and may even pet one of the tigers. So far, there has been one serious attack on a tourist.

Tiger Temple

There will be an attack eventually

Has happened but a while ago.

NZ aid worker mauled in Thai tiger enclosure

A New Zealand woman is in hospital after being mauled by a tiger in Thailand.

Ruth Corlett, 45, was at an enclosure on Sunday with her family when the female tiger jumped at her and bit her leg.

Mrs Corlett was rushed to hospital, where she received 54 stitches on the wound.

Thai media reported that Mrs Corlett touched the year-old tiger's head before it jumped at her in the Khumsu Chiang Mai Tiger Centre.

nzherald

Also: "Tourists may observe this from some 10m away, and may even pet one of the tigers. So far, there has been one serious attack on a tourist.

Tiger Temple

so how many times does any incedient like this need to occur before action is taken?

Didn't she read in the guide book that you never touch a Thai's head? Sorry couldn't resist.

Yes, obviously a money-spinner, always sad to see such magnificent animals exploited this way, ditto with most of the elephant places.

But TiT, such freedom from sanity is behind most of the place's big draws. At least the monks aren't running guns, dealing drugs or getting into violent gang battles against neighboring temples.

Unless there are drug tests completed by some independent International agencies and the results published, than I’m not convinced that the tigers are not sedated or that the tigers are not trained to be calm by being beaten and with fear.

These animals belong in their natural environments as nature intended, not to be chained, prodded and continually pawed about by bunches of brain dead tourists who actually believe that the tigers are enjoying all the unwanted attention.

These so-called animal sanctuaries are only castigatories of suffering, places where animals are considered as products for profit and gain, not as living mammals with any rights to live out their lives and go about doing whatever it is that tigers do undisturbed by humans.

If not for the tourists willing to pay the fees there would be no incentives to keep the animals in captivity.

As far as humans are concerned wild animals belong in wildlife movie documentaries not in a stone quarry causing unnecessary and prolonged suffering all for the purposes of some photographs.

It is probably beneficial when a tourist becomes injured or killed, because that serves as a warning to treat the animals with respect and leave them alone, plus brings the hope of having these animal hell farms shut down.

The best methods to help stop these institutions of animal suffering for profits is to not support them with your money and boycott these places, because those who are willing to pay the entrance fees and spend money to see the sad animal shows are even more guilty of promoting animal suffering for entertainment and profit than are the perpetrators of cruelty and criminals that own and run these places.

• Like 2

They have their claws.

I wouldn't give too much credence to that CWI organisation. They just collect money, but don't do any actual work. If someone like WSPA went there and actually studied their practices, I would take more notice.

Unless there are drug tests completed by some independent International agencies and the results published, than I’m not convinced that the tigers are not sedated or that the tigers are not trained to be calm by being beaten and with fear.

I would think trying to beat a tiger in to submission would be a recipe for disaster, and it would quickly kill someone given the first opportunity. The tigers wouldn't be that calm and non aggressive around humans if someone was beating them with clubs every night. Sedation I guess is possible, but so is just keeping them fat and lazy.

I would think trying to beat a tiger in to submission would be a recipe for disaster, and it would quickly kill someone given the first opportunity. The tigers wouldn't be that calm and non aggressive around humans if someone was beating them with clubs every night. Sedation I guess is possible, but so is just keeping them fat and lazy.

That's what I was thinking.. Try and make any cat submit to your authority isn't going to work well. But feed and massage them and they are perfectly content.

They have their claws.

I wouldn't give too much credence to that CWI organisation. They just collect money, but don't do any actual work. If someone like WSPA went there and actually studied their practices, I would take more notice.

Head Monk will not allow it !........................I was there about 6 yrs ago and am certain that all ladies were advised by monks , not to wear red clothing. Also that at about 4.30pm the animals were returned to their cages as being nocturnal, they would soon begin to wake up and become aggressive. However i am convinced that it was all about the stupifying drug wearing off.

• 3 months later...

"

However, these photographs were snapped at a sanctuary for orphaned

tigers run by Buddhist monks" - that is complete nonsense....the temple is running

illegal breeding programs.

The following organisations have all expressed serious oncern over the place in a communique to the Thai Dept. Of Naion pros Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine * AMUR * Animal Welfare Institute * Animals Asia Foundation * Association of Zoos & Aquariums * Big Cat Rescue * Born Free Foundation * Born Free USA * British and Irish Association of Zoos & Aquariums * Care for the Wild International * Conservation International * Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine * David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation * Education for Nature − Vietnam * Environmental Investigation Agency * Global Tiger Patrol * Humane Society International * Humane Society of the United States * International Fund for Animal Welfare * International Trust for Nature Conservation * PeunPa * Phoenix Fund * Save The Tiger Fund * Species Survival Network * The Fund For The Tiger * Tigris Foundation * Tour Operators for Tigers * TRAFFIC * 21st Century Tiger * WildAid * Wildlife Alliance * Wildlife Conservation Nepal * Wildlife Trust of India * Wildlife Watch Group * World Association of Zoos & Aquariums * World Society for the Protection of Animals * World Wildlife Fund * Zoological Society of London.

Edited by cowslip