Wild Aggressive Dogs

ThailandDenmark417

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good trailer.

It's difficult not to admire the dedication and empathy of these Soi Dog NGO types, but I just don't see any value in the end result. I suppose it's because I don't see a dog's life as particularly valuable, while these people place a great deal of value on it. The thing that always rubs me the wrong way is the opportunity cost. During the floods we'd be out sandbagging here in Non every day for a spell, later I'd be off boating to meet friends in the heavily flooded areas. Then I'd come home and hear some story about one or another of the dog activist groups having rescued a bunch of dogs and I'd think, "Really? In a country full of people whose homes are destroyed, or who are in danger of being flooded any day if the barriers aren't kept up, this is what you're going to spend your time on?"

Anyhow, yeah, admire the effort and the compassion, but I personally just see the wasted opportunity cost. They'd be better off spending all their time on A) killing every existing mutt and B] running a massive national animal control campaign about spaying and neutering animals (I'm sure this is part of what they do to some degree, but a pervasive national program is the only answer given the epidemeology of our soi dog infection in this country). Can't kill off a virus by just curing a few people, you've got to attack the problem systemically.

Edited by emilyb

Good trailer.

It's difficult not to admire the dedication and empathy of these Soi Dog NGO types, but I just don't see any value in the end result. I suppose it's because I don't see a dog's life as particularly valuable, while these people place a great deal of value on it. The thing that always rubs me the wrong way is the opportunity cost. During the floods we'd be out sandbagging here in Non every day for a spell, later I'd be off boating to meet friends in the heavily flooded areas. Then I'd come home and hear some story about one or another of the dog activist groups having rescued a bunch of dogs and I'd think, "Really? In a country full of people whose homes are destroyed, or who are in danger of being flooded any day if the barriers aren't kept up, this is what you're going to spend your time on?"

Anyhow, yeah, admire the effort and the compassion, but I personally just see the wasted opportunity cost. They'd be better off spending all their time on A) killing every existing mutt and B] running a massive national animal control campaign about spaying and neutering animals (I'm sure this is part of what they do to some degree, but a pervasive national program is the only answer given the epidemeology of our soi dog infection in this country). Can't kill off a virus by just curing a few people, you've got to attack the problem systemically.

Funnily enough I feel the same way about some people and some obnoxious children. I also believe people cause far more harm and damage to our planet than animals. For the sake of our planet it would be far better that we are destroyed than other animals. (I'm not advocating this, just trying to make a point!)

The difference between those who think animals are unimportant compared to those who feel differently, is that whilst the former are unable to 'get' why people go out of the way for animals, animal lovers generally also empathise with humans in a bad situation.

I have seen quite a few soi dogs that are in very poor condition, most affected by mange and who knows what other parasites, some that look little more than skin and bones from either internal parasites, starvation or a combination of both, I saw a dog the other day that looked like it had been hit by a car some time in the past, ot appeared as though it had a broken back but not a severed spinal cord, it could still walk but its back legs were weak and it seemed to lack spinal stability just above the pelvis, every time it moved its whole back end pivoted from side to side and its back legs collapsed often, such dogs should be rounded up and euthenised to end suffering, and if any owner intervenes, charge them with animal cruelty and neglect.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

A Thai friend of mine (who travelled to villages in the countryside) advised raising the right arm while holding it above your head with the left arm (as if a club). That seems to scare the aggressive dogs away without having to carry a weapon. May not work in Bangkok though....

I have seen quite a few soi dogs that are in very poor condition, most affected by mange and who knows what other parasites, some that look little more than skin and bones from either internal parasites, starvation or a combination of both, I saw a dog the other day that looked like it had been hit by a car some time in the past, ot appeared as though it had a broken back but not a severed spinal cord, it could still walk but its back legs were weak and it seemed to lack spinal stability just above the pelvis, every time it moved its whole back end pivoted from side to side and its back legs collapsed often, such dogs should be rounded up and euthenised to end suffering, and if any owner intervenes, charge them with animal cruelty and neglect.

The root of the problem is that most Thais won't accept the idea of putting an animal out of its misery even in extreme circumstances due to the influence of Buddhist dogma.

I had to go to six different vets and animal hospitals before I could find someone who would put my dear old Maude down for me, and she was 17 and definitely suffering. Turned out he was from the south and therefore Muslim.

The root of the problem is that most Thais won't accept the idea of putting an animal out of its misery even in extreme circumstances due to the influence of Buddhist dogma.

I had to go to six different vets and animal hospitals before I could find someone who would put my dear old Maude down for me, and she was 17 and definitely suffering. Turned out he was from the south and therefore Muslim.

My next door neighbour had a really old dog, lovely old thing, not your soi dog type. This dog was so clearly dying, and in complete and utter agony. It would howl and cry day and night. This literally went on for months, but they simply would not go and do the humane thing and have the poor old sod put down.

It did eventually die, but not before going through immense suffering. While buddhists may think it is wrong to take another creatures life, it was, without doubt in my eyes, a bigger sin to let the dog suffer like that, and certainly for so long.

My next door neighbour had a really old dog, lovely old thing, not your soi dog type. This dog was so clearly dying, and in complete and utter agony. It would howl and cry day and night. This literally went on for months, but they simply would not go and do the humane thing and have the poor old sod put down.

It did eventually die, but not before going through immense suffering. While buddhists may think it is wrong to take another creatures life, it was, without doubt in my eyes, a bigger sin to let the dog suffer like that, and certainly for so long.

you could say the same about almost everyone dying from cancer ,hiv ,poralasis , or any other deadly disease .......

in many cases one would like to be put "out of his misery " without a few years of suffering

you could say the same about almost everyone dying from cancer ,hiv ,poralasis , or any other deadly disease .......

in many cases one would like to be put "out of his misery " without a few years of suffering

Agreed, but going into a human euthanasia debate on a thread about wild aggressive dogs would be about as offtopic2.gif as is humanly possible.

Agreed, but going into a human euthanasia debate on a thread about wild aggressive dogs would be about as offtopic2.gif as is humanly possible.

post-81124-0-03421100-1335889228_thumb.j

that would be a first on the general forum rolleyes.gif

I know it's OT, but are the best discussions?

Yes, absolutely, and that is the case for everyone in my family, we all have living medical wills explicitly stating that no extraordinary "heroic measure" are to be taken to extend our lives once we have remained unconscious for over a fortnight, and we have all promised each other to make sure the doctors and hospitals respect our wishes, backed up by lawyers that have also agreed in advance.

Especially in the US for wealthy patients, the medical establishment has gone absolutely insane with the expensive measures they're willing to inflict on their victims and their families to artificially extend lives for no point.

Some of the more ethically enlightened countries in this regard are Australia, Switzerland, Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg. In the US the policy is set by the individual states.

spray some small amount of water on them, it will keep them away from you.

Wouldn't try that with my dogs, they go swimming every day in the river. Small amount of water or not, they will give you a severe licking if that is their want!

With reference to these dogs; they are fully grown Siberian Huskies, but the number of people who would cross the road instead of walking past them is amazing. Dogs are always on leads when walking along the pavements.

Guess people react like this when they don't know their species dog breeds.

Edited by chrisinth

Wouldn't try that with my dogs, they go swimming every day in the river. Small amount of water or not, they will give you a severe licking if that is their want!

With reference to these dogs; they are fully grown Siberian Huskies, but the number of people who would cross the road instead of walking past them is amazing. Dogs are always on leads when walking along the pavements.

my neighbors recently acquired Siberian ( flood rescue dog) was in agony until i told them to buy a plastic kiddie pool. It hasn't moved out of the dam_n thing for the better part of two weeks.

my neighbors recently acquired Siberian ( flood rescue dog) was in agony until i told them to buy a plastic kiddie pool. It hasn't moved out of the dam_n thing for the better part of two weeks.

Yep, they need that kind of thing during these months. Once the rainy season kicks in it should be fine. We have had ours for almost 3 years now and they actually adapt very well to the weather, considering what their coats are made for.

You could also advise your neighbour to make sure that the dog has at least a fan to sit beside to give it a bit of airflow. Ours are spoilt rotten and the aircon goes on for them most afternoons for a couple of hours.

Funnily enough I feel the same way about some people and some obnoxious children. I also believe people cause far more harm and damage to our planet than animals. For the sake of our planet it would be far better that we are destroyed than other animals. (I'm not advocating this, just trying to make a point!)

The difference between those who think animals are unimportant compared to those who feel differently, is that whilst the former are unable to 'get' why people go out of the way for animals, animal lovers generally also empathise with humans in a bad situation.

No, you're off base here. Animal activists covet some moral high ground I've noticed, but when push comes to shove they choose animals. I don't like to see animals in pain, but given that there is a finite amount of labor hours dedicated to helping creatures, spending it on a specific animal that just happens to have big expressive eyes and the ability to seem to smile is indicative of a particularly human failing, which is to project humanity onto animals. They absolutely feel pain and they absolutely have emotions and some kind of development, there's no doubt, and I don't relish seeing animals in pain. At the same time, you'll note the massive lack of Khlong Hia Rescue NGOs, Save The Rats groups and the like - why? Because dogs are cute and have been bred over generations to integrate to a degree into human society, and that's really all there is to it. You like dogs, that's great. I value a balanced ecology in the sense that we shouldn't eliminate any one species and I also don't enjoy seeing animals in pain, but I see no reason to expend valuable labor and capital on keeping a bunch of mangy mutts alive when that could be spent on people.

You like animals more than people, that's fine, but you should own up to it and say it for what it is.

• Like 2