Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Good Friend In Thailand

thequietman

Being a military dependent with an inability of respond to jokes quickly or dazzel people with my personality I was not as fortunit as a lot of people I know who had close school buddies and a circle in which they would hang out in., however, outside their little circle I always fared better because I have learned to make friends

with just about everyone. I have found there are no perfect friends and if there were they wouldn't need you. Tony Robbins puts it together for us almost poitically by saying that

we should use people for what is good in them and not focus on their bad qualities, just avoid them " bad qualities" not them personally. I guess what I am saying is friends are made to have a diversity of personalities to meet your needs...for instance...lets say your feeling like you want to go out and find women ..your friend that drops the hat a the chance of @#$% is not someone you want around your wife but someone you paint the town with. Because it's not your bag you don't do it all the time and would miss out on things he has learned in the techniques of irrisponsibility that you had so much fun with one nigh or one time in your life..he would be the person to revive that. They all have their good qualities which is what you should focus on..

I made friends here by not having any expectations of them... You mentioned that you work hard and your never broke...".to me" that is an in your face comment and would suggest that you have

a problem with thinking your better then every one else. Because I am a very very hard worker but I am constantly broke and can't figure out how to change my luck, every time I get extra money something always comes up like this month, I have to pay 20,000baht in taxes and 9000 for auto insurance...I don't drink, don't smoke,and I don't chase women at the drop of a the hat. I do have a young boy that I am raising, but I don't go out for fear I won't be able to meet the bills. My friends know I am a hard worker and sometimes often offer to buy

me a drink, but even then I am very careful not to impose on them. My money problem doesn't come from lack of working or over spending. It comes from trying to play the game honestly "Because I know my luck" and this isn't the place for me to test it.. My money is made in moderation because it is the only thing that works for my mental ability and even then my young child and the Thai Government challanges thatclap2.gif .

I don't know what to tell you other than, actually you should be happy that you have people around with mulitple personalities that care to talk to you even worse they want to be your friend. All these people you spoke about, if you sat down to draw charactures about them you might find yourself to be more happy and a little less judgemental maybe even more laughter in your life,that's what I do...except I use mental pictures and I only drop by once in a while to say hi! so people know me by my name...I have a few others I give more than fifteen minutes of my time and never expect anything back from them other than them calling me by my name. I guess that just comes from being the new kid in school every year. Bottom line...try looking for diversity instead a friend and a friend you will find.thumbsup.gif

If you had real friends, they would know you don't drink or smoke, then why do they sometimes offer to buy you a drink? Do they offer you a cigarette also? I don't drink or smoke either, so my friends don't offer to buy me a drink, thats because they accept I don't drink.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK . enough of this nonsense people. Let's cut to the chase.

Isn't it obvious why a person who chooses an online name 'thequietman' can't get friends?

A joke? A Bendix ™ joke?

I thought your sense of humor was surgically removed during the insertastickupassectomy procedure?

Has it grown back?

It wasnt a joke. It was a caustically satirical observation, full of pointed truths and psychological insight.

A joke? Pah . . I spit on your jokes. Jokes are for comedians. I'm a social commentator.

The guy has a trillion online names to choose from, and he chose one that reveals a huge amount about himself and the way he interacts with people and society.

In that regard, the thread is irrelevant, and the answer to the OP's original question is crystal clear.

Anti-social commentator Bendix, anti-social. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Move to a city.

When you're stuck in the sticks, if you've no Thai language skills, then you can hardly pick and choose.

You can meet other people every day in Pattaya. You get the odd <deleted> but they're easily avoidable. Once the novelty of having a younger wife and nice house out in the boondocks wears off you want a bit of company with like minded fellows. I have several friends who returned to Pattaya after a spell in the sticks but they were renters not buyers.

yes im one of those....done my time in the village and it was fun then friends moved away and i broke with wife and started to travel around thailand.i have done 335.000klm driving around thailand and Laos and i still not sure where i want to live. so i am also back in pattaya ,in a week i will be bored here and go back up to udon then bored there after 2 weeks and maybe drive into Laos...and on and on looking for UTOPIA ? anyone been there ? i need directions..

• Like 1

Move to a city.

When you're stuck in the sticks, if you've no Thai language skills, then you can hardly pick and choose.

You can meet other people every day in Pattaya. You get the odd <deleted> but they're easily avoidable. Once the novelty of having a younger wife and nice house out in the boondocks wears off you want a bit of company with like minded fellows. I have several friends who returned to Pattaya after a spell in the sticks but they were renters not buyers.

yes im one of those....done my time in the village and it was fun then friends moved away and i broke with wife and started to travel around thailand.i have done 335.000klm driving around thailand and Laos and i still not sure where i want to live. so i am also back in pattaya ,in a week i will be bored here and go back up to udon then bored there after 2 weeks and maybe drive into Laos...and on and on looking for UTOPIA ? anyone been there ? i need directions..

Its in Huay Kwang area. A big, imposing building, but some way off the main road. I've never been in, though, but I used to go past on the bus. I'm not really familiar with those up-market Thai massage places. I'm sorry I can't give you more detailed directions, but its never easy to find Utopia. Shangri-la is lot easier; just next to Saphan Thaksin BTS.... If my recollection serves me well, Nirvanha is in KL, near the main road from the airport.

SC

really, how hard can it be?

http://www.utopia-entertainment.net/contact.php

http://www.shangri-la.com/bangkok/shangrila

http://www.nvasia.com.my/services/nirvana-memorial-centre/ (caution: the context of the picture is deceptive)

I can't believe Buddha made such a song and dance of it... though I suppose that was before the internet

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Isn't it obvious why a person who chooses an online name 'thequietman' can't get friends?

A joke? A Bendix ™ joke?

I thought your sense of humor was surgically removed during the insertastickupassectomy procedure?

Has it grown back?

It wasnt a joke. It was a caustically satirical observation, full of pointed truths and psychological insight.

A joke? Pah . . I spit on your jokes. Jokes are for comedians. I'm a social commentator.

The guy has a trillion online names to choose from, and he chose one that reveals a huge amount about himself and the way he interacts with people and society.

In that regard, the thread is irrelevant, and the answer to the OP's original question is crystal clear.

Correct, he doesn't like UK pensioners either. laugh.png

Correct, he doesn't like UK pensioners either. laugh.png

You always have to see the best in everyone, don't you, you big old softie!

SC

I agree with you having lived here in Thailand for 4 years, the so called friends I have made have all had hang ups about one thing or another, and many are controlled by theirThai wife or girlfriend. They do not seem to have a mind of their own, and take what their partner tells them as gospel. In the end it ruins a relationship for two farangs to have a chat together most wives/ G F'S are so possesive abouth their partner they cleverly put a stop to it.

For that reason I have elected to keep myself to myself, it is less hassle in the long run.

You say you live in the sticks! wherever that maybe?? I live near Pattaya, so it does not matter where you are, they seem to be everywhere!sad.png

Good luck.ermm.gif

• Like 1

I agree with you having lived here in Thailand for 4 years, the so called friends I have made have all had hang ups about one thing or another, and many are controlled by theirThai wife or girlfriend. They do not seem to have a mind of their own, and take what their partner tells them as gospel. In the end it ruins a relationship for two farangs to have a chat together most wives/ G F'S are so possesive abouth their partner they cleverly put a stop to it.

For that reason I have elected to keep myself to myself, it is less hassle in the long run.

You say you live in the sticks! wherever that maybe?? I live near Pattaya, so it does not matter where you are, they the seem to be everywhere!sad.png

Good luck.ermm.gif

Looks like we are friends, worked stuff out. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

This sounds real namby pamby psycho-babble stuff but this is the reality............

If you are not happy within yourself, if you don't like who you are.............then it doesn't matter where you go, you will never find Utopia. Utopia is within.

Utopia is picking up your baby son or daughter, giving them a kiss and cuddle, telling them a story and seeing the absolute trust in their eyes. Utopia is taking your older child out playing football, or reading them a book, and seeing the absolute love in their eyes.

Utopia is spending time with your wife just knowing that she loves you, you can feel it every minute every day of your life, Utopia is sitting watching TV sharing a bowl of crisps while your wife cuddles in.

Utopia is going out for a pint with your Dad, or having a cracking blether with your Mum, Utopia is walking in to see your brothers or sisters and seeing a big smile on their face.

Utopia is going to a football match with your pals and watching your team doing the big rivals, Utopia is being in the pub afterwards and your pals rippin the p*ss out of you for some mistake you made 20 years ago.

Utopia is jumping on your Enduro bike and running through the dense forest with your Thai pals, then pulling over and they pull out a picnic. Utopia is sitting on your patio, or in a restaurant in Thailand watching the sun go down, whiloe watching your new family laugh and joke with each other.

Utopia is grabbing a camera and going for a walk and catching outstanding images around just about every corner, Utopia is coming on TV and getting a great laugh at the antics of some of the members.

Don't bother searching for Utopia, it's inside you. All you have to do is realize that being happy within yourself and appreciating what you have is the road to discovering Utopia.

To me, Thailand has plenty of Utopian moments, plenty times when I have stood back and said Wow, and many of these times are by just sitting watching these relatively poor people show us the richness of their family lives.

Utopia is within, give yourself a chance to find it.

sick.gif
  • Like 2

This sounds real namby pamby psycho-babble stuff but this is the reality............

If you are not happy within yourself, if you don't like who you are.............then it doesn't matter where you go, you will never find Utopia. Utopia is within.

Utopia is picking up your baby son or daughter, giving them a kiss and cuddle, telling them a story and seeing the absolute trust in their eyes. Utopia is taking your older child out playing football, or reading them a book, and seeing the absolute love in their eyes.

Utopia is spending time with your wife just knowing that she loves you, you can feel it every minute every day of your life, Utopia is sitting watching TV sharing a bowl of crisps while your wife cuddles in.

Utopia is going out for a pint with your Dad, or having a cracking blether with your Mum, Utopia is walking in to see your brothers or sisters and seeing a big smile on their face.

Utopia is going to a football match with your pals and watching your team doing the big rivals, Utopia is being in the pub afterwards and your pals rippin the p*ss out of you for some mistake you made 20 years ago.

Utopia is jumping on your Enduro bike and running through the dense forest with your Thai pals, then pulling over and they pull out a picnic. Utopia is sitting on your patio, or in a restaurant in Thailand watching the sun go down, whiloe watching your new family laugh and joke with each other.

Utopia is grabbing a camera and going for a walk and catching outstanding images around just about every corner, Utopia is coming on TV and getting a great laugh at the antics of some of the members.

Don't bother searching for Utopia, it's inside you. All you have to do is realize that being happy within yourself and appreciating what you have is the road to discovering Utopia.

To me, Thailand has plenty of Utopian moments, plenty times when I have stood back and said Wow, and many of these times are by just sitting watching these relatively poor people show us the richness of their family lives.

sick.gif

Och shut up........tongue.png

sick.gif

Funny you know I have moved back home for a wee while and I can say I have had many utopian moments since my return. Lovely to see family and catch up with old friends...you should try it sometime Sam!

• Like 1

sick.gif

Funny you know I have moved back home for a wee while and I can say I have had many utopian moments since my return. Lovely to see family and catch up with old friends...you should try it sometime Sam!

He's an Ozzie.......he can't do Utopia, it's not allowed. He has to spend his life rolling around in the grass fighting brown snakes and being covered with bitey insects, while drinking 60 units of beer and remembering to hate poms.

Oh, wait a minute, Utopia Australian style!!! Sorry Sam I got that one wrong biggrin.png

No more obvious than yours,so can we say you have problems getting a washing machine?rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Quiet man...I live in Phan,Chaing Rai...I have a wonderful Thia wife who is a physics and science professor. We have a beautiful home, fabulous gardens and three fish ponds that I built that take up most of my time. I like a cold beer, a good single malt and I do what I want, when I want, where I want and for however much money it takes to do whatever it is I fancy. I just turned 60 and enjoy a good conversation with people that have a greater IQ than that of Celsius thermometer. If you like...Drop me a line...I am home every day while my wife teaches school. I travel on weekends. Thanks.

• Like 1

sick.gif

They are all dead.

Thankyou for reminding me of that.

sick.gif

He's an Ozzie.......he can't do Utopia, it's not allowed. He has to spend his life rolling around in the grass fighting brown snakes and being covered with bitey insects, while drinking 60 units of beer and remembering to hate poms.

Oh, wait a minute, Utopia Australian style!!! Sorry Sam I got that one wrong biggrin.png

Utopia would be being able to afford 60 units of beer here in Oz lol

• Like 1

sick.gif

They are all dead.

Thankyou for reminding me of that.

Reminds me of a poignant moment when my pal was at his grandfathers deathbed, his grandfather reached out his bony hand and grabbed by the lapel, pulled himself up with the last of his strength and said " Here son, I never <deleted> liked you ".

Utopia Glasgow style.

No more obvious than yours,so can we say you have problems getting a washing machine?rolleyes.gif

And he likes Italian wash machines. BUT, seems he is impressed by them. I had one bah.giflaugh.png

Meet up once a week for a drink with friends ,but to be honest i like being home with the wife ,whats wrong with thatcoffee1.gif

Nothing at all. What suits you may not suit another.

I respect my wife and her friends when they want to have their woman sessions. Likewise for myself. We dont live in each others pockets, and I think both of us would be exceptionally upset if our shirt tails were pulled to come on home.

Its all about having a happy balance.

And he likes Italian wash machines. BUT, seems he is impressed by them. I had one bah.giflaugh.png

post-60794-0-07573000-1335694655_thumb.j

Can you imagine her up to her elbows in suds...

with a pair of marigolds... and a pinnie

SC

..... farang .... piss head and irresponsible ...... a complete knob..... an absolute addict ...... Another 2 'friends' feel the need to bullshit all the time about their financial situation and how their life exceeds mine.

These people are within 4 km of me.

You should move to Pattaya or Phuket or Chiang Mai.

This will save you a lot of time as there you wont need to go more than about 4 metres to find a knob, piss head, addict, wanke_r, bullshitter etc.

And if you're really lucky in Pattaya you might even meet a real estate agent or a crooked lawyer or a sleazy media mogul.

Well I've been a long stayer in Pattaya for around 11 years and I've met some smashing fellows during that time. Blokes who I keep in touch with when back in the UK and on occasion meet up with for a drink. Many of them I've met because we share the same digs but they are all ordinary working fellows who have learned throughout their lives to behave in company and socialise with others and not a single one of them has ever thought he was better than anyone else. It's beyond me why some disconted expats in Thailand look down with scorn upon expats in Pattaya.

None of them have been nasty criminals, addicts, bullshitters or dodgy estate agents etc. because that type would not be tolerated in their circles back home let alone in Pattaya. Some are good drinkers but if they turn peculiar in their cups they are shunned by the rest. I'm from inner London and most of my old pals have been ethnically cleansed from our neighbourhood to the extent where I'v got more friends that I have things in common with in Pattaya than I have in London.

• Like 1

ok, i'll bite. biggrin.png

the only Bendix that I am aware of is a Bendix washing machine. an item that is designed to wring the piss and <deleted> out of dirty nappies. a machine whose sole goal in life is to go around and around and which you have to deposit a powder like substance in order to get it to clean. basically, your very own shit remover.

Now...... the quietman...... a very well known and much liked classic movie loved by critics and people alike. the name refers to an irish-american boxer, strong and handsome, who comes back to the beautiful isle of ireland in search of his home and ultimitely the love of his life. a millionaire sportmans with the heart of a lion and huge fists to boot.

ok, which name would you chose tv'ers ? whistling.gif

Not only are you lonely but you obviously don't read quality literature either, my dear friend.