Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Good Friend In Thailand

thequietman

I've found the "expat clubs" to be places to be avoided at all costs. Ongoing pissing contests, personal battles between members and some external shady characters whirring around like flies trying to get profit .. better be independent and collect the needed information from as many sources as possible.

What kind of clubs are you talking about?

I've never heard of any that anyone would consider useful for "collecting information". . .

Like Rotary and Lions? Aren't they dominated by Thais here? Or are there expat branches?

kerryk already mentioned the ones in Pattaya, then there are smaller unofficial clubs that go by nationality (Sort of a Stammtisch-type loosely formed clubs) and other non-official meetings. The name Drummond made my brain make the connection between those clubs and this thread, seems to be somewhat interconnected at least here in Pattaya.

I've been an expat in another country as well, the same phenomenon occurred, not specific to Thailand. More of a case of a group of certain type of people dominating such clubs. Certainly wouldn't go to those clubs in search of a friend, I'd rather try to befriend the Indian tailors on beach road, they're less likely to try to take advantage of you dry.png

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the OP could solve his loneliness by starting an expat club in . . . . ummm . . . Phrae.

cheesy.gif

If all the expats are like yourself, Bendix, then that would be a terrible idea.

But thanks for your input. It is discarded at every opportunity.tongue.png

Anybody who cannot make friends in Thailand or any other part of the world has some major issues.I have many friends here,both thai and western.

Its easy to make friends. The difficulty is getting a good (real) one.

wai.gif

• Like 1

Perhaps the OP could solve his loneliness by starting an expat club in . . . . ummm . . . Phrae.

cheesy.gif

If all the expats are like yourself, Bendix, then that would be a terrible idea.

You need to read Karl Popper. Seriously.

cheesy.gif

You need to read Karl Popper. Seriously.

unbelieveable, you are one of the most irrational posters on here and you refer me to karl popper.

at every opportunity you choose to make non-sensensical remarks to every poster on tv. it seems you get off on trying to piss people off. maybe re-read Mr poppers books again and have a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror.

knowing you............. you will probably just get an erection. cheesy.gif

I've never really had any friends in my entire lifetime. I'm the greatest loner here and proud of it. thumbsup.gif

I sometimes pretend its through choice as well.

And that I've taken vows of poverty and celibacy.

SC

Isn't that expat life in general. Been in Dubai 12 years and my best friend is the guy I knew before I got here. Met loads of people, acquaintances, some stronger than others but not sure I consider any of them actual friends and you pick up certain things down the years, the way people are.

There's also a lot of one upmanship down the pub (BS'ing) and ripping whoever isn't there to shreds as well which is one of the reasons I don't frequent my usual pub anymore, not cause of anything they may say about me but the slow realisation that these people are just pub acquaintenances, which is fine.

If you have a couple of really, really good friends that is more important so rocking up in the middle of nowhere, which is cool as that's my style too, and not being able to meet such a person is not unusual. You're pretty much lumbered with acquaintenances that may develop into real friends over time and just have to pick and choose who is more tolerable or entertain certain people for certain things.

Part of getting older as well, someone mentioned Seinfeld earlier, you get to an age where it's more difficult to make real friends not just 20 people I say hi to and chat about the weekend's football.

In my time in Asia I have had the 'ol sob story expats pouring their troubles out types and the tales of woe and 'they're all shit' type people and lost causes to the ones that want to borrow money, I don't go for any of it

I get the feeling that if you want to be part of the Thai tourist police then it is benificial to have a criminal record of some sort, the nastier the better. You wouldn't find to many excops involved in the tourist police. If there are some involved it would be best to stay well clear of them, a few apples gone rotten.

It's a shame that Thaivisa's two most famous Thai tourist police volunteers haven't commented on this yet. Transam is usually up for an entertaining 'I love helping people, me' type rationalisation.

As for the other member who was a member of the tourist police in Phuket - katabeachbum . . . . . . well, I don't know where he is these days. coffee1.gif

In prison waiting trial. smile.png

hehe, nothing sweeter clap2.gif

AD reports on stuff that others seemingly dare not touch and breaks the conspiracy of silence that crooks in Thailand are protected by. I'd give you a very specific example but that might only serve to prove my point too well.

he will keep doing it until he does it to the wrong person/group and gets his wings clipped, will anyone care?

Probably not..... Its not a job I would undertake

Well I hope your wrong. But be assured the prdiction you make is of an outcome that many who admire journalists who stand up and speak up about abused of power would care about.

The foundations of liberal plural society are built on people who are willing to speak up against criminality, corruption and abuse of power - more so when these crimes are commited by the connected and powerful.

I'm certain AD understands the risks, all the more reason to admire him for exposing the criminality he does expose.

I hope you don't think Thailand aspires to be a liberal pluralist society?

I do wonder about the size of AD's cojones, sometimes I wonder if he's got a well-connected protector or two among TPTB and he runs story ideas past them to avoid digging too deep into areas that would otherwise get him disappeared?

Yes, but i notice most of his targets are happless farang crims/bums...and lets face it, and usually when they are already in custody..so their arms do not extend very far here.

If he actually had the cajoulies to blow the whistle on the many well connected corrupt Thais, im sure the cajoulies would'nt be intact for very long.

I've never really had any friends in my entire lifetime. I'm the greatest loner here and proud of it. thumbsup.gif

why start sharing here then?

He's not starting here, thats just the point.

Seems a lot of us come here to live as we please and happy to be left alone. Its the biggest attraction of the place IMO..

learn to be self sufficient....I am sometimes for a week or 2 in the south in my wifes house complete alone (she is in BKK) I have some repair work to do.

No communication with anyone, not leaving the house.....no problem

Hi, yes, thanks. I have my garden, so that kills a lot of time for me. But its just sometimes, its nice to have a beer and talk.

Be grateful you have a garden! I have to resort to internet forums to have a "conversation", and don't have enough available space for a decent garden.

I don't know any farangs where I live, because there aren't any!

Luckily I receive several English language tv channels. Even ABC, which has to be the most PC tv channel I've ever seen is better than what we had in the village ( only RT ).

Were it not for them, I'd be gaga by now.

learn to be self sufficient....I am sometimes for a week or 2 in the south in my wifes house complete alone (she is in BKK) I have some repair work to do.

No communication with anyone, not leaving the house.....no problem

Hi, yes, thanks. I have my garden, so that kills a lot of time for me. But its just sometimes, its nice to have a beer and talk.

Be grateful you have a garden! I have to resort to internet forums to have a "conversation", and don't have enough available space for a decent garden.

I don't know any farangs where I live, because there aren't any!

Luckily I receive several English language tv channels. Even ABC, which has to be the most PC tv channel I've ever seen is better than what we had in the village ( only RT ).

Were it not for them, I'd be gaga by now.

dam_n, and there I was thinking it was your upcoming concert BKK and the woman is an imposter.

why start sharing here then?

He's not starting here, thats just the point.

Seems a lot of us come here to live as we please and happy to be left alone. Its the biggest attraction of the place IMO..

if he was so wonderfully independent, he wouldn't be logging on here to share that fact

Maybe someone could start a Rent a Buddy business, 5000 baht plus expenses I will go out and get shit faced with you, tell you what a great guy you are. I will have to be home for dinner tho or the old chook will king me.

• Like 1

I reckon its hard to find good friends in Thailand because people become defensive after what they read on the internet. They form a bad impression of their fellows from the stereotypes that are propagated in informal media

SC

I reckon its hard to find good friends in Thailand because people become defensive after what they read on the internet. They form a bad impression of their fellows from the stereotypes that are propagated in informal media

Same applies for more conventional means of information transfer as well. Many are reliant on their Thai partners for communication with the surrounding world and become to trust their opinion. Nothing really wrong with that, but one has to take into account the possible conflicts of interest that might exist due to the division of time. Put plainly, jealousy and the BS that follows.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

To have a friend, one must first be worthy of friendship.

thank you, grasshopper. wai.gif

Did ANYONE think that Caine looked like a half cast Chinese? I could never understand why he was always getting in trouble for being Chinese, as he looked so European ( which of course David Carradine was ).

• Like 1

I like the fact that the OP is politely 'Likeing' posts which are a bit critical of his position.

He seems nice and pleasant.

thequietman, can we be friends please?

Need to be cautious towards those seemingly nice and pleasant chaps.

They're not always whom they appear to be.

To have a friend, one must first be worthy of friendship.

thank you, grasshopper. wai.gif

Did ANYONE think that Caine looked like a half cast Chinese? I could never understand why he was always getting in trouble for being Chinese, as he looked so European ( which of course David Carradine was ).

Oh God don't post the Bangkok photos.

I like the fact that the OP is politely 'Likeing' posts which are a bit critical of his position.

He seems nice and pleasant.

thequietman, can we be friends please?

Need to be cautious towards those seemingly nice and pleasant chaps.

They're not always whom they appear to be.

Nah , as I say on my profile page, TV is a fun and sometimes informative outlet. If something is funny or helpful irrespective if its my post or not, i feel it should be acknowledged.

Bendix, NO, we cannot be friends. tongue.png

thumbsup.gif

Edited by thequietman

You did not say where you are.

the sticks.

but quite a few farangs around. at least 30. from all different nationalities.

Do farang in the sticks really run home when their wives tell them?

Seems very strange - surely they are there as they have the money, and then surely the say of what they do.

You did not say where you are.

the sticks.

but quite a few farangs around. at least 30. from all different nationalities.

Do farang in the sticks really run home when their wives tell them?

Seems very strange - surely they are there as they have the money, and then surely the say of what they do.

There's more important things than money...