New Bus Terminal Traffic Light

Galong

Why is it that the powers-that-be think traffic lights solve problems? I live on Radanusorn and there is a new traffic light on a three-way where there was NEVER any traffic problems. Now, with a one minute way in each direction, there is a backup every day.

The new traffic light at the new bus terminal (right around the corner from me) is not set to only turn green when there is a bus in need of a turn, it's timed like a regular traffic light. Traffic is, of course, backing up even more now. Being just a couple hundred meters from an existing light, folks coming from the side street get to fill up gap between these two lights.

And, of course, there are two big No U-Turn signs for traffic coming either way. They might as well say "Do Whatever You Want" as that's what is happening. Nothing makes me happier than sitting at an unneeded red light only to find out that the guy in front of wants to do an illegal u-turn, thus making me sit through a light sequence or having to figure out how to go around him/her. Ah driving like you're the only person who matters... I just love it.

there's far too many lights on this island, i'm constantly frustrated by them.

so has the main bus terminal moved now from Phang Na road? if so, where exactly is the new terminal? i have to go pick someone up today from the Khon Kean bus.

That stretch has become a bad bottleneck now that there is 3 sets of light within 100 metres.

Really bad idea and now I can understand why the powerful local was fighting its construction.

Its the intersection before the terminal, near manit centre,Max that's backing it up, the lights don't run in tandem.

take the long way around from the toyota dealer.

still faster

Hmm, thanks... why didn't I think of that. wai.gif

This light wouldn't be all that bad if there was a sensor that turned the light when needed. It's crazy that this is yet another 60 second + light. It's not as bad as the Ko Kaeo one... that's one of the worst one on the island and fairly unneeded really. It was a lot smoother without it.

Obviously, traffic lights don't make things better here. I wish someone in power was actually paying attention... geez.

That stretch has become a bad bottleneck now that there is 3 sets of light within 100 metres.

Really bad idea and now I can understand why the powerful local was fighting its construction.

Its the intersection before the terminal, near manit centre,Max that's backing it up, the lights don't run in tandem.

I do not recall the local politician fighting against before or during construction, only after it was finished.

It seems after new traffic lights are installed it takes a few months before someone realises the timings & setup are wrong. In the case of the lights at Central intersection it took several years before they finally got it right.

I don't agree....I can travel all the way from Kamala to Central Festival (about 30km) only passing through 4 traffic lights.....

Same going to the airport.

Kind of agree with you, but the locals don't know how to use a traffic roundabout. So lights are the only option in some places where, I feel, a correctly-used roundabout would actually be better.

Every set of lights they install here are miss timed and then it takes them about 6 months to a year to figure out how to time them properly.

Please don't suggest putting in traffic circles (usually quicker) they sill haven't grasped what a red stop light means

Thai traffic lights have to be some of the worst on this planet. My main gripe is that at a lot of lights are set for one direction at a time, e.g. cars turning right could be green from both directions at the same time. Timing at some intersections is also out of whack. Side street having the same length of time as the main road it connects. But on the flip side I do like the countdown.

Thai traffic lights have to be some of the worst on this planet.

But on the flip side I do like the countdown.

No. The Gold Coast in Queensland are the worst on the planet. I do my online banking, send emails, texts, file my nails, check the lipstick, clear the crap off the floor...waiting for them to change.

The countdown has to be the most brilliant antistress traffic device known to mankind. I LOVE THEM

It's not just the Thais who can't use roundabouts. Insurance companies go ballistic every time Lismore Council (NSW) puts another one in - there are so many minor accidents. Then there's the buses & trucks that drive right over the middle unless there's a large garden, waterfall & trees blocking the way. And the view of oncoming traffic.

Thai traffic lights have to be some of the worst on this planet. My main gripe is that at a lot of lights are set for one direction at a time, e.g. cars turning right could be green from both directions at the same time. Timing at some intersections is also out of whack. Side street having the same length of time as the main road it connects. But on the flip side I do like the countdown.

Yes, it is foolish for the side streets to have as much time as the main streets. Some side streets actually have a longer period of green. The relatively new light at the Thalang Tesco is one example.

The new light at the bus station should be green just long enough for one bus to turn... but it would be much, much better if it had a mechanical or optical trigger to only turn green if there is actually a bus waiting.

I don't agree....I can travel all the way from Kamala to Central Festival (about 30km) only passing through 4 traffic lights.....

lucky you, try driving up and down Jao Faa 2x per day

lucky you, try driving up and down Jao Faa 2x per day

Yes the lights at TOT & Wat Chalong do not have good settings. The light settings at the Big Buddha junction are timed much better nowadays.

Today was the first time I have I had encountered these lights since they jave been turned on.

What a complete and utter **** up.The traffic was backed up to the PTT station.

20 mins to get through.How these people ever get jobs I'll never know

• Like 1

One more misplaced construction in an already messy and terrible infrastructure.The bus station should have been where the Toyota dealer are where Thepkasatri meet Bypass road and with on time regular smaller connection buses from Town, Chalong, Kata, Patong og Talang.

• Like 1