Bargain Phuket

stevehaigh

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make your own Pizza, fixins at Makro. About 1/2 price and better. Oven required.

Make your own bread. It's easy. It does take awhile for the dough to rise. I'd buy a bread machine but I've never seen one here. Oven required.

Bought one of these small glass convection ovens. Heating unit on top. It makes great chicken and pork similar to BBQ.

Make your own peanut butter. See Youtube. Need a blender.

Drink at home. Drinks are cheap and no barfine.

Lots of people like to spend all day at the beach but it can be very expensive. We go to less crowded beaches, take our own chairs and table, picnic or BBQ, Inflatable toys, goal post, bats, balls, and everything else imaginable. We spend the whole day in our own almost private playground and it costs almost nothing.

Compared to spending a thousand baht minimum to wedge yourself in with all the lobsters on the more crowded beaches it's a bargain IMO.

• Like 1

Lots of people like to spend all day at the beach but it can be very expensive. We go to less crowded beaches, take our own chairs and table, picnic or BBQ, Inflatable toys, goal post, bats, balls, and everything else imaginable. We spend the whole day in our own almost private playground and it costs almost nothing.

Compared to spending a thousand baht minimum to wedge yourself in with all the lobsters on the more crowded beaches it's a bargain IMO.

Agreed, I don't agree with btb/hkp very often, but bringing your own stuff to the beach is the right way to spend the day.

Buy 12 Baht fried rice and noodles in Big C Extra. Add other stuff at home to make it delicious. Can be put in freezer and baked in mini oven.

Go to the salad bar in Central Food Hall and put only lettuce in your salad bowl. About 3-5 times cheaper than the one already bagged as it is priced by weight (200 baht a kilo)

maikb84.

I have no idea about the price of lettuce but i will try this and if it is indeed cheaper. Well thanks!

Try to bag only the expensive one so you save more:). By the way, the salad bar in Central is A LOT better than the one in Big C Extra where they don't even offer proper lettuce or other stuff like quail eggs, nuts etc. And it's only 11% more expensive and it's ALWAYS extremely fresh... I wonder how they do it? The must be constantly throwing out the stuff after a couple of hours.huh.png

Edit: After 8pm the bread in Central is half price too and still tastes very fresh. Much better than the dry stuff you get in Wine Connection (I wonder why their stuff always tastes like its a week old when buying in the evening?).

Anyone any tips for ANY cheese that's cheap? It's ridiculous that the milk is just slightly more expensive than in Europe yet even the bloody processed cheese is like 4 times as much. And why is the Australian cheese almost cheaper than the Thai one! Even in Makro it doesn't go under 460 a kilo when buying in bulk.

When Big C Extra was still Carrefour you could always find a cheese near the expiry date (where it actually tastes best) that was half price but when they changed over it stopped. Sometimes they still have it but very rarely.

Big C Extra has a marked down table near the escalator. 30 Baht Mashed potato powder ftw... makes two kilos or so.

In bigger supermarkets like Big C Extra you get items free if they scan higher than the shelf price. Go and scan the items first at the price check points before you head to the checkout. You'd be surprised how often this works as most of the workers are just two lazy to change back to the old price tags after a promotion ends. Bought a spray once for 200 baht, got it free. Next day checked if they changed the price tag. They only changed the price tag of one fragrance and not all three. Bought another fragrance. Free toorolleyes.gif .

Edited by MaikB84

I think we are straying into the realm of "cheap charlieness - balloon chaser territory".

Far too much effort getting lettuce at a salad bar instead of paying a bit extra for a whole one.

too much effort putting some lettuce in a bowl and hand it to packing? you serious? And why would I buy a 300 gram pack when I just want a bit of fresh one? nothing to do with balloon chasing, I actually find buying the amount I actually want more convenient. And I'm not talking about a whole lettuce but the one that grows in small batches... don't know the name.

I think we are straying into the realm of "cheap charlieness - balloon chaser territory".

Far too much effort getting lettuce at a salad bar instead of paying a bit extra for a whole one.

i dont know about you but the thought of giving away a 1000000% profit to a company that harvests <deleted> lettuces leafs(must be so hard) is not somethiong i enjoy. Any penny saved on this item feels great as its kind of expensive for the 5 calories per bag you get

The new small Big C close to the new bus station often has cheese thats almost past due date.

and thx again for the free trick, thats gonna be fun if it works at the smaller big c. They really dont work hard on the price tags

Edited by Hostile17

i dont know about you but the thought of giving away a 1000000% profit to a company that harvests <deleted> lettuces leafs(must be so hard) is not somethiong i enjoy. Any penny saved on this item feels great as its kind of expensive for the 5 calories per bag you get

The new small Big C close to the new bus station often has cheese thats almost past due date.

and thx again for the free trick, thats gonna be fun if it works at the smaller big c. They really dont work hard on the price tags

Until you see some of the posts on a thread like this you don't realize how cheap some people are living!

Bargains are good, but this has become a "how to live on the streets for virtually nothing" type thread.

While wending my way home from my local last night (Chang 25 baht, Heinikin 42) I saw a number of people going through the bins left out on the street looking for any free discarded food or goods that could be exchanged for a few baht. Real bargains.

well its all about perspective

to me people who drink chang and singha are no better than those looking through garbage

If you are talking to me, I drink the Heinikin for 42 baht. Although, admittedly, I don't really enjoy it that much. I would happily pay three or four times that for a good german or Australian type beer if I could find some in a convienient venue.

to me people who drink chang and singha are no better than those looking through garbage

And this coming from a guy who started a complaining thread when Burger King raised their prices!biggrin.png

• Like 1

I agree. Its not about being a 'cheap charlie' - rather refusing to pay OTT to the vendor who is charging too much. Surely we have all done this?

Incidentally, my own 'top tip' is avoid Villa Market! They are good and their prices reasonable - the problem is that they stock too much food that makes me go "yum" tongue.png !

Edited by F1fanatic

yes. Im far from cheap, in fact i like "balling" out of control

But i wont let anyone profit from me for even 1 satang if i feel they are undeserving or overdoing it.

Lettuce is one of those things that piss me off which is why i rarely buy salad anymore. A restaurant close by grows their own lettuce and they can afford to give a massive bowl for free to everyone all day just from a small rooftop plantation and then you have companies charging you 3-5$ for a bag with no more than twenty leafs that very often taste like soap or acid.

Until you see some of the posts on a thread like this you don't realize how cheap some people are living!

Bargains are good, but this has become a "how to live on the streets for virtually nothing" type thread.

While wending my way home from my local last night (Chang 25 baht, Heinikin 42) I saw a number of people going through the bins left out on the street looking for any free discarded food or goods that could be exchanged for a few baht. Real bargains.

Everybody's different. Some people are very wealthy and still like to save every penny. Some people like myself aren't very wealthy but would rather cut my knackers off than to count pennies.

The point is, if that's the kind of tips people want to share then why do you care? Why compare them to people going through bins when it's obviously not the same?

• Like 1

If you are talking to me, I drink the Heinikin for 42 baht. Although, admittedly, I don't really enjoy it that much. I would happily pay three or four times that for a good german or Australian type beer if I could find some in a convienient venue.

Get yourself to a whisky shop and buy Phuket Beer. Best beer in Thailand and it's the same price as Heineken in the big shop (38 baht). You will enjoy this one a lot I believe.

taste like fruit juice mixed with gravel rocks and sewer water

Only asian beer drinkable in thailand is beer lao/asahi and even then, id rather drink water most of the time.

(im no snob, back home i really enjoyed the 1$ popular beer as much as 7$ beers)

Edited by Hostile17

Eat your self full and roll back home at any Pork on the pan places across Thailand. All you can eat 'BBQ' for 100+ bath.

As I don't eat pork cannot comment on that however there is also places where you can get shrimps or squid instead for 139 Baht. Quite a few places in Patong. But I don't quite see why I would want to go to a restaurant and cook my own food. Thais seem to love it though, look how packed MK and Oishi and Shabushi is everyday.

Everybody's different. Some people are very wealthy and still like to save every penny. Some people like myself aren't very wealthy but would rather cut my knackers off than to count pennies.

The point is, if that's the kind of tips people want to share then why do you care? Why compare them to people going through bins when it's obviously not the same?

I don't normally respond to your rubbish under any of your various niks, however, as you managed to keep a post to just 2 paras I will this time.

I generally agree with your first para.shock1.gif

It takes a special post to get me to really care, but I still reserve my right to comment on the forum if I so desire. Sad as it may be it is part of my daily entertainment.

Collecting a large bag of lettuce leaves at a food hall to take home because salads are charged by weight is for me not greatly removed from scavanging through a bin. Where I come from, the supermarket places a bin next to the lettuces for people to place the unwanted outer leaves of a lettuce. It is free for anyone who wants to take these home for their chickens. Perhaps some use it on their tables. sick.gif

Get yourself to a whisky shop and buy Phuket Beer. Best beer in Thailand and it's the same price as Heineken in the big shop (38 baht). You will enjoy this one a lot I believe.

Never tried Phuket Beer, but have heard it is quite good. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a whiskey shop? A bottle or wine shop? I do like Beer Lao, but find it's supply somewhat erratic.

I suppose I could find drinkable beers at various retail outlets to drink at home, but I did say a convenient outlet, meaning, for me, a pleasant little bar near Chalong

Never tried Phuket Beer, but have heard it is quite good. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a whiskey shop? A bottle or wine shop? I do like Beer Lao, but find it's supply somewhat erratic.

I suppose I could find drinkable beers at various retail outlets to drink at home, but I did say a convenient outlet, meaning, for me, a pleasant little bar near Chalong

A whisky shop is basically a bottle shop. You need to go to a bigger one if you want Beerlao or Phuket Beer.

Also, I don't agree with the American or Australian concept of buying all fruit and veggies pre-packed. What is the point in that other than make you commit to a certain amount, half of which you'll probably throw away anyway.

I don't see how buying lettuce by weight is any different from buying carrots or apples by weight and how this can be compared to scavanging through a bin is beyond me. Yes, my main objective is to get it cheaper, but I also don't like throwing out unused food or eating it when its not 100% fresh anymore (can't finish a whole pack in one day).

Edited by MaikB84

The man saves money on UBC bills by drinking cheap beers in cheap bars, nothing he says will ever make sense.

I presume this is another attack on me, and it makes little sense.

I save money on UBC by drinking in cheap bars? blink.png

The place in which I generally drink is, as mentioned, convienient for me and it's where several friends hang out. The price of beer has little to do with it. I only mentioned that because this thread is about bargains and I thought some here may have an interest in cheap places to drink. I virtually never hang out in larger, girlie bars anymore. I have a stable relationship and am no longer interested in the bar scene. The cost of drinks has nothing to do with it.

Personally, I have plenty of money, I own my house, have a good permanant income, and significant investments back home.

I'm not a lettuce pilferer or balloon chaser like many of you here seem to be.

A whisky shop is basically a bottle shop. You need to go to a bigger one if you want Beerlao or Phuket Beer.

Also, I don't agree with the American or Australian concept of buying all fruit and veggies pre-packed. What is the point in that other than make you commit to a certain amount, half of which you'll probably throw away anyway.

I don't see how buying lettuce by weight is any different from buying carrots or apples by weight and how this can be compared to scavanging through a bin is beyond me. Yes, my main objective is to get it cheaper, but I also don't like throwing out unused food or eating it when its not 100% fresh anymore (can't finish a whole pack in one day).

Thanks for the advice at the top of your post. I want to try Phuket Beer and will try to find some at my bottle shop.smile.png

I also don't like the concept of pre packaged veggies and never buy that way.

I agree with your comment about buying vegetables by weight.

What I consider to be going too far to gain cheap food is the practise of collecting lightweight lettuce in a food hall, paying a price calculated for a salad mix and then taking it home. Please correct me if I understood that wrongly.

I recently heard about a farang woman who used to steal durians from a field owned by a local, and only stopped when he discharged a shotgun several times in her direction. There's another way to get a cheap feed. tongue.png