Who Likes Steak & Kidney Pie

Getting colder here in Brisbane, so I decided to make a nice steak & kidney pie for dinner.

I Used gravy beef (shin)tossed in seasoned flour, lamb kidneys, carrot onion celery finely diced, garlic, tomato paste, beef stock, beer and red wine.

sweated the veges, browned the beef, added, the kidneys and the rest.

stewed for 1 1/2 hours, then put it all in a large dish, with store bought shortcrust pastry, pre blind baked.

made some lovely champ (mash & spring onions) and ate it with lots of worcestershire sce, and a bottle of Maclaren vale shiraz.

It was absolutely delicious.

I had an eye fillet steak $35 Aud at a pub on Friday, and I'd have this over it any day.

Steak & kidney, you either love it or hate it I reckon, and those who hate it, ARE MISSING OUT.

I wonder what the my TGF would make of kidneys.

Hopefully better than lamb.

I could murder that right now.....don't suppose you deliver do you?

(Although the beer AND red wine combo sounds a bit odd. Either one or other i'd have thought)

When i am browning the beef, I deglaze the pan with red wine, burn off the alcohol leaves the flavour, port works great as well.

then later add a stubby of dark beer if you have it, with the beef stock adds volume and flavour.

Getting colder here in Brisbane, so I decided to make a nice steak & kidney pie for dinner.

I Used gravy beef (shin)tossed in seasoned flour, lamb kidneys, carrot onion celery finely diced, garlic, tomato paste, beef stock, beer and red wine.

sweated the veges, browned the beef, added, the kidneys and the rest.

stewed for 1 1/2 hours, then put it all in a large dish, with store bought shortcrust pastry, pre blind baked.

made some lovely champ (mash & spring onions) and ate it with lots of worcestershire sce, and a bottle of Maclaren vale shiraz.

It was absolutely delicious.

I had an eye fillet steak $35 Aud at a pub on Friday, and I'd have this over it any day.

Steak & kidney, you either love it or hate it I reckon, and those who hate it, ARE MISSING OUT.

I wonder what the my TGF would make of kidneys.

Hopefully better than lamb.

(puke)

I could murder that right now.....don't suppose you deliver do you?

(Although the beer AND red wine combo sounds a bit odd. Either one or other i'd have thought)

I would be happy to just settle for the "Getting colder here"

• Like 1

They have good quality kidneys here, so I think I will give it a go today, thanks for the inspiration Shane mate. Don't have dark beer here in Phitsanulok, but had some excellent Laos Dark Lager on a visit to Muhktahan recently, just like a very potent Mild, 6.8%. So will have to make do with red wine only.

Edited by aitch52
  • Like 1

I miss Steak and Kidney Pudding even more, now that IS pub grub at it's best!

See how kidney divides people, you either love it or hate it.

Yes I agree steak & kidney pudding is even better than pie, need suet to make nice pastry, then steamed in a pudding bowl.

I also love calves liver barely cooked about meduim rare, with some nice air dried bacon or pancetta, english mustard and onions.

I also love Ox tongue and Ox tail is awesme as well.

When my Isaan GF took me to an Isaan restaurant she was gobsmacked I loved all the offal,it was love when she saw I could eat same food as her.

Except som tam laos, nuclear hot, with that evil evil smelling fish slop in it.

I like normal som tam without that crap in it however.

Edited by ShanePashen

I love steak and kidney pie, almost as good as liver and onionslicklips.gif

Ah, liver and onions, my old man's favourite. He could live on that shit. Personally, i'd almost rather eat my own s.........

I bet your s.... never looks like this.

post-108506-0-25055400-1335878716_thumb.

Sweet bread....mmmmmm

Can only find it in large kilo lots but.

F*** Yes

I love sweetbreads, they are so good, one on the best things I have ever eaten was in a michelin * restaurant, Veal sweetbreads sauted & served on Brioche with morels and a basil cream sauce.

Ah, liver and onions, my old man's favourite. He could live on that shit. Personally, i'd almost rather eat my own s.........

No, my s..... looks more like this

roasted-sausages.jpg

The risk with the beer is the whole thing turning a tad sour.

I will be shot down for saying this but I prefer mushrooms over kidneys. sorry.gif

Beef and Guinness pie?

I'm with you on the mushrooms, don't like the texture when it's made with kidneys.

roasted-sausages.jpg

i hope that is not your your tablecloth !

That s.... looks good enough to eat.

roasted-sausages.jpg

Sure it's not more like this:-

The risk with the beer is the whole thing turning a tad sour.

I will be shot down for saying this but I prefer mushrooms over kidneys. sorry.gif

Beef and Guinness pie?

I'm with you on the mushrooms, don't like the texture when it's made with kidneys.

I've tried making it a few times but it just never seems to taste quite right. sad.png

Given up now and just use red wine instead...

Some people just seem to have a problem with those tender organs - kidneys, liver, sweetbreads (brains) Prairie Oysters

(testicles).

I once ordered a meal of liver and bacon in a restaurant in Prince Rupert in Canada - if the waitress had been able she would have brought the plate out balanced on the end of a long stick. She wanted nothing to do with it. Fortunately the chef didn't have the same problem.

Maybe it helps to be older and have experienced these foods as a youngster when money was short and the cheapest meats we're welcome on our table.

^ for most of them I just don't enjoy the texture, particularly kidney.

For some like brain, I don't mind it, it's just not top of my list.

And as for tripe, that's just vomit material on any level.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

I'm 46 now dammit.

Growing up in Australia as a kid, going to eat with your parents occasionally at bowls clubs, RSL clubs, & even pubs.

You'd often see things like Lambs fry and bacon. Or crumbed lambs brains, steak & kidney, occasionally tripe & onions in white sauce, or Oxtail.

As well as old staples like curried sausages, and various other wet dishes.

These were cheap "counter meals" served for the working class, with less expensive cuts of meat.

And an acquired taste that you have for life.

They are now well & truly quickly becoming a thing of the past, your more likely to get a 3rd rate Thai green chicken curry, or a burger & chips, masquerading in Turkish pide bread.

Or other equally pretentious wank, which is over priced, and done badly.

My own kids won't eat offal of any kind, although when I make a ragout with oxtail, they have no idea and love it.

If only they knew what went into the chicken nuggets, and burgers from Maccas and HJ's they love so much.

The more processed the food, the more they seem to love it.

That is what I love about the austerity of Thai food.

When my GF took me to an Isaan restaurant and she ordered up, I loved it all.

She was shocked to see what I would eat.

Except that fermented fish sauce that goes in som tam.

Some people just seem to have a problem with those tender organs - kidneys, liver, sweetbreads (brains) Prairie Oysters

(testicles).

I once ordered a meal of liver and bacon in a restaurant in Prince Rupert in Canada - if the waitress had been able she would have brought the plate out balanced on the end of a long stick. She wanted nothing to do with it. Fortunately the chef didn't have the same problem.

Maybe it helps to be older and have experienced these foods as a youngster when money was short and the cheapest meats we're welcome on our table.

I think SWEETBREADS are the pancreas from sheep,not BRAINS,but although its many years since I had them,fried gently...delicious... and although you say testicles,necer tried them and dont think I will...rather like roasted monkey penis that I was offered once in Africa

• Like 1

I'll second that. People also don't even know how to cook these days either. I prepared my first Sunday roast (watched over by my mother in case of danger) when I was 8 years old. I would say a good half of the people I know in the UK who are under 30 can't do one and a good number of the ones that can have no idea about timings. They seem to think that all vegetables take exactly the same time to cook !?!

Going back to cost, if people learn how to cook things and are willing to use cheaper cuts then it costs less. My sisters family almost always have a Chinese on a Saturday so over the years I have shown her how to make the various dishes they tend to order. Sure she has to buy the ingredients but at a guess it works out less than half the price.

Suffice to say that when I go back to visit the UK I tend to cook a great deal and make sure their freezer is well stocked with dishes I made during the time I was there.