Keeway Rkv 200 - Any Good?

Hi guys....a lot of stuff on here.....but i still need to understand....would you advice this bike????There are a couple of owners here. They are the only ones whose advice is relevant.

Yes, only two, three owners!

I strongly suggest a cbr150 or 250 second hand good one for 50 k and 70 k respectively. Just my thoughts.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys....a lot of stuff on here.....but i still need to understand....would you advice this bike????

If you want a new bike for small money but dont like a CBR150 than the RKV200 may be a good choice. But you should consider the pros and cons first and than make your decision. From all the chinese bikes the RKV200 is one i would recommend, but not for everyone.

I have one of these and can only fault it's low top speed, which is no problem when mostly riding around town as it has fairly good torque.

I think it's an ideal learners bike for which it is designed to be. If I was an experienced rider would I buy one? I doubt it but as my first real bike in Thailand it has been good.

6 months and no faults what so ever - just need to find the time to ride it more!

• Like 1

I have one of these and can only fault it's low top speed, which is no problem when mostly riding around town as it has fairly good torque.

I think it's an ideal learners bike for which it is designed to be. If I was an experienced rider would I buy one? I doubt it but as my first real bike in Thailand it has been good.

6 months and no faults what so ever - just need to find the time to ride it more!

good to hear another positive owners report, seems that more people own these bikes as is believed to be.

Thanks guys....Wantan you are right... i would like to understand if this bike is good for me .....I noticed this motorcycle one year ago so i tried to ask for a test drive as we know this bike is quite new in the market ...it has no reputation .......the local dealer told me they don't have bike avaible for testing ....sure a short test drive it's not enough but maybe you can understand something more ......surfing on the web i found some info...RKV 200 and TXM 200 are both powered by a high torque 200 cc engine engineered by Benelli from Italy...QianJiang Group chinese company own Keeway as well Benelli brand, Keeway factory is located in Bukit Beruntung, Selangor Malaysia but it is not clear if this factory just assembly parts made in China or if this site produce parts and assembly bike for ASEAN market and other Asian country.....KEEWAY's headquarters and its high-tech R&D Center is located in Hungary....just some info maybe useless....

• Like 1

According to parent company QJ all parts are manufactured in China on machine tools imported from Germany Italy and the US. QJ licences third party companies in other countries to assemble bikes from supplied components. Keeway is registered as a company in Hungary. R and D is carried out in Italy. Manufacture takes place in a city sized modern factory in China. I have seen the RKV200 at the SYM/Keeway dealer in Nonthaburi and also at the recent BKK Motor Show. For the price the quality looks very good. Owners on here seem pretty positive about the bike. It`s simple technology so maintenance should be within the capabilities of most owners. I know that the guarantee is for 3 years/30000kms. If you find a good dealer ownership IMO shouldn`t be a hassle.

• Like 1

Imo it doesnt matter were the bike is produced. Its a chinese bike, thats no secret. And as you get what you pay for, you may have some small problems with a cheap bike. But all owner reports are more or less positive for the RKV200. So if you like these style of "naked" simple air cooled bike and dont need speeds above 100-110kmh than why not? I had a test drive at a dealer in Bangkok. I would have bought it if it had a bit more power. I need a speed of 120kmh. But i still like the RKV. There are not many options for this type of bike in Thailand. Mabe the new naked Kawasaki 250cc. But for nearly 3 times more money. And i like the simple RKV styling more. Imo air cooled is a plus :)

Imo it doesnt matter were the bike is produced. Its a chinese bike, thats no secret. And as you get what you pay for, you may have some small problems with a cheap bike. But all owner reports are more or less positive for the RKV200. So if you like these style of "naked" simple air cooled bike and dont need speeds above 100-110kmh than why not? I had a test drive at a dealer in Bangkok. I would have bought it if it had a bit more power. I need a speed of 120kmh. But i still like the RKV. There are not many options for this type of bike in Thailand. Mabe the new naked Kawasaki 250cc. But for nearly 3 times more money. And i like the simple RKV styling more. Imo air cooled is a plus smile.png

Spot on if could do 120-130 kph would be ideal, if we knew which engine was copied, maybe a larger carburetor could achieve this?

Imo it doesnt matter were the bike is produced. Its a chinese bike, thats no secret. And as you get what you pay for, you may have some small problems with a cheap bike. But all owner reports are more or less positive for the RKV200. So if you like these style of "naked" simple air cooled bike and dont need speeds above 100-110kmh than why not? I had a test drive at a dealer in Bangkok. I would have bought it if it had a bit more power. I need a speed of 120kmh. But i still like the RKV. There are not many options for this type of bike in Thailand. Mabe the new naked Kawasaki 250cc. But for nearly 3 times more money. And i like the simple RKV styling more. Imo air cooled is a plus smile.png

You honestly think the RKV looks better than the new Kawasaki Z250 'naked bike'? I guess each to there own, but surely not!.

There's a guy at my condo who has the RKV, it looks ok and is still in working order as far as I can see. So probably not a bad buy for the money. My big concern would be if something major went wrong, as I haven't seen any Keeway dealers around where I live.(Bkk)

Really can't compare it to kawa 250 because it's a complete different price range,bikes to compare with would be klx 150,cbr 150,pcx,Honda click/wave, they are all around the keyways price bracket ,don't really know why anyone would prefer a leeway over the cbr 150 but that's their choice if they wish.

Anyway I think the best thing about these good reports coming through is it bodes well for the bennili 600 you could have a cheap reliable 600 available , I expect to see you all rushing out to buy one.........

Nonsense is starting again. I have said all important imo. So over and out. Have fun smile.png

it is still a positive thread hence all the owners are coming here to tell their experiences with the keeway. If this thread gets a negative vibe most of the owners will not come here to post anymore. This is exactly what happened in the platinum px250 thread.

So please people if this motorbike does not interest you or you have nothing new to add to this topic please stay away since we all know your opinions by know.

• Like 2

The price of the RKV200 and Superlight ( hope they don't name a model Featherlight ) is under 60000 baht. The motard and enduro style are cheaper still. I think the prices lean more towards scooter territory than motorcycle. I guess if someone wants a traditional motorcycle style ride rather than an auto or semi auto scooter this could fit the bill. There are dealers in BKK including the main M-Bike showroom. Other dealers are around the country in the towns. I know of dealers in Nonthaburi, Ubon and Hua Hin to name but a few. There are also a lot of agents. If you can read Spanish there are reviews in the South American bike forums for a variety of Keeway and Benelli bikes ( Keeway and Benelli are big there ). Most of them are positive. In the UK many riding schools seem to have adopted Keeway 125s for their fleets.

• Like 2

The price of the RKV200 and Superlight ( hope they don't name a model Featherlight ) is under 60000 baht. The motard and enduro style are cheaper still. I think the prices lean more towards scooter territory than motorcycle. I guess if someone wants a traditional motorcycle style ride rather than an auto or semi auto scooter this could fit the bill. There are dealers in BKK including the main M-Bike showroom. Other dealers are around the country in the towns. I know of dealers in Nonthaburi, Ubon and Hua Hin to name but a few. There are also a lot of agents. If you can read Spanish there are reviews in the South American bike forums for a variety of Keeway and Benelli bikes ( Keeway and Benelli are big there ). Most of them are positive. In the UK many riding schools seem to have adopted Keeway 125s for their fleets.

sounds interesting, do you have some links to these forums. i do not speak spanish well but google might help to translate some

I am still waiting to hear about the all important issue of size and size is important in this case. I am 6 foot 83kg and have problems with 99% of the bikes here, they are made for Asians who are shorter. So how does this one fair?

I am still waiting to hear about the all important issue of size and size is important in this case. I am 6 foot 83kg and have problems with 99% of the bikes here, they are made for Asians who are shorter. So how does this one fair?

The general riding position of the RKV 200 is fine for me and I'm 6 foot - but there's a small issue with the raised 'MV-style' sections on the upper sides of the fuel tank as they align with your knees (if you have long legs). It's a slight discomfort on longer rides. If you have shorter legs your knees tuck under the raised sides. The Enduro style TX200 has a different tank so does not have this problem. The bars, (span-adjustable) levers, foot pegs and seat all fit a US/European sized person better than most scooters. The bikes seem to be designed for export (I've never seen one in China but have seen them in UK and Latin America as well as here).

Update on the RKV 200 so far .....

The pre-delivery prep by Yamaha Square on Rama IV was not as good as I'd thought. Tyre pressures were 5 PSI front and 10 PSI rear (should be 28/30) and the allen screws on the front fork clamps were lose. The bike will have been delivered with the front wheel removed, so I guess the wheel was fitted by the local dealer.

I was surprised about the low tyre pressure .... I gave the tyres a 'squeeze and a tap' before I rode away from the shop and they felt OK, and the handling seemed fine. Tyre pressures so low on my Triumph RS in the UK would have had me off on the first bend, but I assume the RKV is so light the pressures are not so critical? The front fork clamp screws was a concern, but they were 'finger tight', so I don't think the wheel was going to fall off any time soon, but a good reminder to check the bike thoroughly. Other nuts and bolts seemed good and tight, chain tension was correct and all lights worked, but the tool kit was missing. After a call to the shop they found the missing tool roll and I picked it up on the way out for my first proper ride to Samut Sakorn.

It's a very pleasant bike to ride. Neutral handling without that slight 'falling into a corner' feeling you get with a cruiser. The classic street bike seating position is also easy on the wrists and makes threading through traffic a breeze. The mirrors are small, but well spaced, so rear view is decent, but getting the wide bars and mirrors between cars can be tricky. The riding position is very comfortable, so during the 120 second red light sequences in Bangkok I found myself sitting with both hands still on the bars, whereas on more 'sporting' bikes I would use red lights as a chance to sit back and take the weight off my wrists.

If you are long in the leg (like me) the raised ridges in the tank, which would go above the knees if this was a Benelli sports bike (a brand recently acquired by the owners of Keeway) actually align with your knees creating a slight pressure point on long rides. This is a compact bike which is very popular as a 125 learner bike in the UK - and this makes it good in traffic, but if you are over 6' tall it may be physically too small for longer rides.

The brakes have improved, thought they still feel 'learner friendly' and need a good squeeze. The handling is neutral and feels like it could cope with much more power and the ride is excellent even on bangkok roads. The power is modest, but it has good low-down torque so it copes well in traffic and on back roads.

I had a chance to ride on wet and flooded roads this weekend, and the tyres seem OK. The gearbox is my main concern after the weekend ride. Neutral is hard to find when stationary and impossible to avoid when moving. Going from 1 to 2 you hit neutral 50% of the time. Giving an extra big push to the gear lever by moving your foot forward and up will get into 2 without a hitting N, but this is a nuisance. I hope this is a running-in issue, as none of the reports I've seen from the UK and Latin America mention a gearbox problem. I've found a supplier of a rack and box for the RKV in the UK but the cost is steep (£81 for the rack not inc shipping), and some throw-over panniers from Paddocks may be the answer, or I could get something made locally.

Still early days, and after the longer ride and the rain I'll be able to see what starts to rust or fall off, but with the possible exception of the gear change I'm pleased with the bike, especially considering the price. I'll post an update after more use.

Very few thai shops have pressure gauges, much less use them. They prefer to feel the tires, and they guess wrong, 100% of the time! They are simply untrained, or do not care. 5 lbs. of pressure is downright dangerous. Where there is no pride, there is no room for shame.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The pre-delivery prep by Yamaha Square on Rama IV was not as good as I'd thought. Tyre pressures were 5 PSI front and 10 PSI rear (should be 28/30) and the allen screws on the front fork clamps were lose. The bike will have been delivered with the front wheel removed, so I guess the wheel was fitted by the local dealer.

I was surprised about the low tyre pressure .... I gave the tyres a 'squeeze and a tap' before I rode away from the shop and they felt OK, and the handling seemed fine. Tyre pressures so low on my Triumph RS in the UK would have had me off on the first bend, but I assume the RKV is so light the pressures are not so critical? The front fork clamp screws was a concern, but they were 'finger tight', so I don't think the wheel was going to fall off any time soon, but a good reminder to check the bike thoroughly. Other nuts and bolts seemed good and tight, chain tension was correct and all lights worked, but the tool kit was missing. After a call to the shop they found the missing tool roll and I picked it up on the way out for my first proper ride to Samut Sakorn.

It's a very pleasant bike to ride. Neutral handling without that slight 'falling into a corner' feeling you get with a cruiser. The classic street bike seating position is also easy on the wrists and makes threading through traffic a breeze. The mirrors are small, but well spaced, so rear view is decent, but getting the wide bars and mirrors between cars can be tricky. The riding position is very comfortable, so during the 120 second red light sequences in Bangkok I found myself sitting with both hands still on the bars, whereas on more 'sporting' bikes I would use red lights as a chance to sit back and take the weight off my wrists.

If you are long in the leg (like me) the raised ridges in the tank, which would go above the knees if this was a Benelli sports bike (a brand recently acquired by the owners of Keeway) actually align with your knees creating a slight pressure point on long rides. This is a compact bike which is very popular as a 125 learner bike in the UK - and this makes it good in traffic, but if you are over 6' tall it may be physically too small for longer rides.

The brakes have improved, thought they still feel 'learner friendly' and need a good squeeze. The handling is neutral and feels like it could cope with much more power and the ride is excellent even on bangkok roads. The power is modest, but it has good low-down torque so it copes well in traffic and on back roads.

I had a chance to ride on wet and flooded roads this weekend, and the tyres seem OK. The gearbox is my main concern after the weekend ride. Neutral is hard to find when stationary and impossible to avoid when moving. Going from 1 to 2 you hit neutral 50% of the time. Giving an extra big push to the gear lever by moving your foot forward and up will get into 2 without a hitting N, but this is a nuisance. I hope this is a running-in issue, as none of the reports I've seen from the UK and Latin America mention a gearbox problem. I've found a supplier of a rack and box for the RKV in the UK but the cost is steep (£81 for the rack not inc shipping), and some throw-over panniers from Paddocks may be the answer, or I could get something made locally.

Still early days, and after the longer ride and the rain I'll be able to see what starts to rust or fall off, but with the possible exception of the gear change I'm pleased with the bike, especially considering the price. I'll post an update after more use.

Very few thai shops have pressure gauges, much less use them. They prefer to feel the tires, and they guess wrong, 100% of the time! They are simply untrained, or do not care. 5 lbs. of pressure is downright dangerous. Where there is no pride, there is no room for shame.

Yes - but I think with any new bike we need to make basic checks before a ride - just like the normal pre-ride checks. And the tyres seem to have a hard compound (for max mileage I guess) so the low pressure made little difference in practice. But the loose fork clamp was not good - but my bike was provided by a local Yamaha Dealer and my experience of the main Keeway dealer (M-Bike) was much better. However - in the last year nothing has dropped off or broken and the finish still looks good so no issues with the quality of the bike.

I like the look of the RKV-S with it's OHC motor (Oooh - high technology!) as the small increase in power would be useful - but I'm not sure if it (or the Benelli Uno cousin) will come to Thailand?

Yes - but I think with any new bike we need to make basic checks before a ride - just like the normal pre-ride checks. And the tyres seem to have a hard compound (for max mileage I guess) so the low pressure made little difference in practice. But the loose fork clamp was not good - but my bike was provided by a local Yamaha Dealer and my experience of the main Keeway dealer (M-Bike) was much better. However - in the last year nothing has dropped off or broken and the finish still looks good so no issues with the quality of the bike.

I like the look of the RKV-S with it's OHC motor (Oooh - high technology!) as the small increase in power would be useful - but I'm not sure if it (or the Benelli Uno cousin) will come to Thailand?

these new benelli's sure look good.

post-63974-0-52881600-1365595524_thumb.j

post-63974-0-20805200-1365595556_thumb.j

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am normally a staunch anti Chinese bike fellow, but there are some plus points with this bike:-

1. At a 1/3rd of the price, that is a big difference.

2. If they have nicked/bought an old old Honda design, that is good.

3. If they have a tie up with Bennelli, there is some expertise there too.

4. If the engine is down on horsepower that removes strain, perhaps.

Ancillaries are not a huge issue, you can always get something to fit, it is engine and gearbox that are the issue. So, lots of oil changes, including one when you buy the bike, keep an eye on wheel bearings and change them for Jap ones at the first sign of wear and generally look after it. Jap bikes tend to accept some abuse and get it in Thailand, Chinese maybe not, so don't.

Still two minds, but 1/3rd price is a BIG carrot, looks nice-ish too. The Kwaka is overpriced anyway, should be 100k.

We can rule out #2.

Honda has not produced a pushrod motorcycle engine in over 50 years.

The reason I know that, I was in Japan in the early 1960s, riding Hondas

and worked on the engines.

But, this bike does look pretty good for the price.

Nonsense is starting again. I have said all important imo. So over and out. Have fun smile.png

Does it mean we can all log off now -- since you've already said everything important.

Or do I misread you?

My post was a reaction to some upcoming nonsense about chinese bikes in general. All ontopic input about the RKV200 is appreciated of course. Sorry for the confusion.

Imo it doesnt matter were the bike is produced. Its a chinese bike, thats no secret. And as you get what you pay for, you may have some small problems with a cheap bike. But all owner reports are more or less positive for the RKV200. So if you like these style of "naked" simple air cooled bike and dont need speeds above 100-110kmh than why not? I had a test drive at a dealer in Bangkok. I would have bought it if it had a bit more power. I need a speed of 120kmh. But i still like the RKV. There are not many options for this type of bike in Thailand. Mabe the new naked Kawasaki 250cc. But for nearly 3 times more money. And i like the simple RKV styling more. Imo air cooled is a plus You honestly think the RKV looks better than the new Kawasaki Z250 'naked bike'? I guess each to there own, but surely not!.There's a guy at my condo who has the RKV, it looks ok and is still in working order as far as I can see. So probably not a bad buy for the money. My big concern would be if something major went wrong, as I haven't seen any Keeway dealers around where I live.(Bkk)

If you google Keeway you'll find their BKK dealership.

Try getting service for your Kwak these days. My cousin was told a four week wait and that was after he had ridden into Bangkok from Kanchanaburi as there are no dealers there.

Any local shop will tackle a Keeway as it's so simple to work on.

This morning at Tukcom Motor Show I saw this special or new RKV model .....new color new exhaust but same bike and same engine....well the price is 94900 baht for the motorcycle you see in the picture !!

post-177938-0-34013500-1367663534_thumb.

Edited by Supertuktuk
  • Like 1

This morning at Tukcom Motor Show I saw this special or new RKV model .....new color new exhaust but same bike and same engine....well the price is 94900 baht for the motorcycle you see in the picture !!

not many buyers I guess, only a couple of thousand more and there is the cbr 250

Looks like an after-market show bike. 94900 is almost CBR250r price range.

Looks nice thou :)

Yesterday I stopped by a Keeway dealer in Ramkhamhaeng, just a 100 meters before Lam Sali intersection.

All the three 200cc bikes final price is 63,000 baht with the tax.

I was told that the Dorado 250 is 93,000 baht with tax.

They did not have the Dorado250 for show, if I wanted to buy, I would have to pay in advance 40,000 baht.

Looking to buy one soon, I want the 250cc Vtwin power for traveling in Thailand and Malaysia... just need to get my damn Thai driving license soon.