Keeway Rkv 200 - Any Good?

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to install clip-ons on my rkv.... Any of you have done it before??? Should I change the triple clamp??

Triple clamp is not involved as *most* of the clip-ons go on the fork legs

But are they specific to your bike?

Things to watch for if not is will they have the clearance or will they bump the tank etc before the stop/turn limit tab stops them?

Some mount above & some mount below the top triple

If above does the set come with tube extenders like bikers for the Kawasaki 650? If not you will need to slide the legs up in the triple to get a full bite.

In doing so you will change your steering geometry & most likely it will be much quicker.

Because you will steepen the rake. This may be good or bad depending on where your starting from stock.

On the Ninja it was IMO bad so I took that type off.

Another type mounts below the triple & some have split clamps so that will make it much easier to install as you do not need to

slide the legs down & back up etc.

Some Like Woodcraft have various risers & spacers available to make them work better for your individual application.

Not cheap though

Edited by mania

I'm planning to install clip-ons on my rkv.... Any of you have done it before??? Should I change the triple clamp??

Triple clamp is not involved as *most* of the clip-ons go on the fork legs

But are they specific to your bike?

Things to watch for if not is will they have the clearance or will they bump the tank etc before the stop/turn limit tab stops them?

Some mount above & some mount below the top triple

If above does the set come with tube extenders like bikers for the Kawasaki 650? If not you will need to slide the legs up in the triple to get a full bite.

In doing so you will change your steering geometry & most likely it will be much quicker.

Because you will steepen the rake. This may be good or bad depending on where your starting from stock.

On the Ninja it was IMO bad so I took that type off.

Another type mounts below the triple & some have split clamps so that will make it much easier to install as you do not need to

slide the legs down & back up etc.

Some Like Woodcraft have various risers & spacers available to make them work better for your individual application.

Not cheap though

Thanks the the response man....i'm talking about changing the triple clamp as the "mounting" where the normal handle bar is sitting on right now will no longer be used (more about an aesthetic issue than anything else)...I think sliding the forks up is the way to go for them to have the necessary clearance not to bump into the tank.....Any suggestions to increase performance??? The bike feels more like a strong 125cc than a weak 250cc....Where I live, many people ride 125cc and tune them to death (150km/h)...

> The RkV200 manual advice a pressure of 28.5 for the front wheel and 30.5 for the rear wheel. so ??

This sound OK for me. 30 and 37 is too much imo.

The manual also says you have to check valve clearance and timing chain every 4000km. But not sure i would let the dealer do this. Some don't use a feeler gauge, some do other crazy things. Best would be to find a good mechanic you can trust or do it yourself. But what clearances do the valves need?

Just try 95 to see if it makes a difference. But this engine has such low compression ratio, 91 should be fine too.

I have made a visa run Chiang Mai-Nong Khai with my RkV200 . 1800km without having any problems with the bike . In Uttaradit, I have been to a keeway delearshop and they have checked a little bit the bike, lube/tighten my chain for free.

As always with thai mechanics, some strange advices came to my ears. They adviced me to use gazohol95 instead of 91 and to put a pressure of 30 PSI for the front wheel (ok) and 37 for the rear wheel.

===> The RkV200 manual advice a pressure of 28.5 for the front wheel and 30.5 for the rear wheel. so ??

Maybe in the last 100km, the engine began to feel tired : the engine made a light knock if riding up to 5000 cycles per minute.

The manual also stipulate that a light knock of engine may be caused by improper fuel..

But I have riden now 4000km and the bike also need the standard 4000km maintenance.

My top speed was 105-115 km/h (dashboard) depending on the wind direction. I have riding at top speed very ofen when get back in the Highway. Maybe too much ?

Many thai people supported me on the road and also appreciated the RkV style. Thai people love bikes and don't swear only by Ducati/BmW Imo.

some pictures :

How long did that 1800km take you?

How long did that 1800km take you?

Overall : about maybe 40 hours riding.

Going to NongKhai I slept in Uttaradit and Loei and when get back, I slept at Khon Kaen and Uttaradit

I will go to the keeway shop tomorrow for the maintenance. Hope for the best...

Edited by DrAzTiK

The thai mechanic told me that changing the carburator is not the best way to increase speek on RkV200.

The 2 best way for him is to change the spark plug (put a NGK brand spark plug ) for increase speed about 3-5 km/h (350 bath) and change the exhaust. (+10km maybe but 4000 bath)

I think it's a competent thai mechanic (he speek english quite well) but I don't know why, he always like to tighten my chain like hell.

The thai mechanic told me that changing the carburator is not the best way to increase speek on RkV200.

The 2 best way for him is to change the spark plug (put a NGK brand spark plug ) for increase speed about 3-5 km/h (350 bath) and change the exhaust. (+10km maybe but 4000 bath)

I think it's a competent thai mechanic (he speek english quite well) but I don't know why, he always like to tighten my chain like hell.

Your mechanic sounds like a bit of a knob...but not as bad as some :) a new platinum spark plug would make it run slightly smoother. Maybe due to better spark increase power slightly. A decent exhaust would allow better breathing but without an increase in fuel... bugger all much of an improvement in power, other than maybe running leaner the bike runs lean anyway to get through Thai emissions testing. Be very, very careful with Thai mechanics.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Having orgies on a weekly basis with all the Victoria secret models is easier than finding a good honest mechanic in my country. I'm one of the lucky ones to have found one. He charges more but I gladly paid for his work than to "save" some cash with another mechanic that will screw me blind by changing my working parts, make up fake repairs, do a bad job and take joyrides with my bike. I was about to cry when he told me he was going to close shop to work as a judge full time. Than i almost cried again but this time of joy when i found out he was going to open part time. If you got a good mechanic u better treat him better than u treat your wife lol.

Btw the rk6 is available in the capital..... 141000000 bsf ($22380 us). I'll be sticking with my rkv200 for a long while at least til i can rack up cash to buy a used Japanese 600. Hell i figure i rather pay more for a used one but at least i know it's Japanese!

Having orgies on a weekly basis with all the Victoria secret models is easier than finding a good honest mechanic in my country. I'm one of the lucky ones to have found one. He charges more but I gladly paid for his work than to "save" some cash with another mechanic that will screw me blind by changing my working parts, make up fake repairs, do a bad job and take joyrides with my bike. I was about to cry when he told me he was going to close shop to work as a judge full time. Than i almost cried again but this time of joy when i found out he was going to open part time. If you got a good mechanic u better treat him better than u treat your wife lol.

Btw the rk6 is available in the capital..... 141000000 bsf ($22380 us). I'll be sticking with my rkv200 for a long while at least til i can rack up cash to buy a used Japanese 600. Hell i figure i rather pay more for a used one but at least i know it's Japanese!

A good read for all the GOM .So happy now to live in Thailand lol.

Edited by pokerkid

• 2 months later...

yes i have a keeway and now have done 9000 km.

it is a comfortable bike as it is heavy enough to sit on the road ,i cruise at between 90 and 100 km hr. and the motor perfornms well and gives me about 30 k per litre fuel.

It is cheap and i have thrown a few things away.....the day i brought it home the left hand indicator fell off and had to be glued back in position.the exhaust guard also came loose soon after and after failed attempts to replace screws it was also dicarded.

the carby cover likewise was an annoying source of a tinkling rattle so that is now on the scrap heap with the other bits.

The big problem and one for concern was the chain size and quality.it stretched continually and finally on a long trip came off and nearly flipped me.

I have replaced it with the best quality i could find and now all is good.

the only other problem is an annoying tinkle tinkle in low speed but i think it is the chain rattling on the chain cover guard....brakes are not great but i am used to them and they were good enough to help me miss the last truck that tried to kill me.

I had the seat modified for 5000 bht and i got a rack made for the back with a rest on it to make my darling more comfortable all up 120000 bht.

oh yes when it rains the indicator will not turn off so i will get a new switch and rewire that and the drm brake on the back gets wet and grabs at first so be careful...i will repair that also

All up it s ok for the money as the main parts seem to work ...the motor is good and i hope will keep going .I have thought about working the engine over to get a bit more out of it but then i think well...if it aint broke ,dont fix it.

Happy trails

post-189890-0-42322100-1383024256_thumb.

yes i have a keeway and now have done 9000 km.

it is a comfortable bike as it is heavy enough to sit on the road ,i cruise at between 90 and 100 km hr. and the motor perfornms well and gives me about 30 k per litre fuel.

It is cheap and i have thrown a few things away.....the day i brought it home the left hand indicator fell off and had to be glued back in position.the exhaust guard also came loose soon after and after failed attempts to replace screws it was also dicarded.

the carby cover likewise was an annoying source of a tinkling rattle so that is now on the scrap heap with the other bits.

The big problem and one for concern was the chain size and quality.it stretched continually and finally on a long trip came off and nearly flipped me.

I have replaced it with the best quality i could find and now all is good.

the only other problem is an annoying tinkle tinkle in low speed but i think it is the chain rattling on the chain cover guard....brakes are not great but i am used to them and they were good enough to help me miss the last truck that tried to kill me.

I had the seat modified for 5000 bht and i got a rack made for the back with a rest on it to make my darling more comfortable all up 120000 bht.

oh yes when it rains the indicator will not turn off so i will get a new switch and rewire that and the drm brake on the back gets wet and grabs at first so be careful...i will repair that also

All up it s ok for the money as the main parts seem to work ...the motor is good and i hope will keep going .I have thought about working the engine over to get a bit more out of it but then i think well...if it aint broke ,dont fix it.

Happy trails

That isn't a RKV200......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been following this thread with interest, particularly the input from the owners who all seem to have had positive experiences. That, in fact, is the only reason I'm entertaining the idea of the Keeway, as most owners of low cost brands (mostly Chinese makers, but also Tiger, etc.) for the most part are unhappy a few weeks/months in. So yesterday I went to the SYM/Keeway dealer here in Ubon. Sat on the bike, checked it out, and while they didn't have a bike I could test yesterday they were getting a used bike in today that I could take out. So I show up today, not ready to buy, but thinking if it rides as well as I hope it will I may be 50/50 on purchasing one sometime. Well, disappointingly, and somewhat comically, the bike they have for me won't run for more than 2 seconds without dying. The say the mechanic (who wasn't there) serviced it that morning and took out for a ride with no issue. The other mechanic gives it a quick one over, looking for an obvious problem, but doesn't see anything. Now, even the most reliable bike in the world can be made not to run a hundred different ways by an incompetent mechanic or some faulty part, so this doesn't in certainty mean the bike's unreliable, but it's not a great sign. A perhaps even more enlightening thing happen as I was leaving. Jokingly and light heartedly, I asked the sales lady, so is this going to happen to my bike in a few months if I buy one? Her answer (the SALES lady!) was, well this isn't a Honda, and it doesn't cost as much as a Honda, so you shouldn't expect Honda reliability. And I respond, of course I don't expect the same quality as a more expensive Honda, but shouldn't I at least be able to expect it to start? She smiled and did a shoulder shrug. Now, a sales person who's no good at selling a bike doesn't mean the bike's no good, but it was a little surprising that she didn't try to defend the bike or say this was a freak occurrence or anything- her response effectively said (rightly or wrongly) that this is what should be expected with this bike. I still want to see what it rides like, so I'll give them a call tomorrow and if the test bike is running I'll give it another shot, but I won't hold my breathe. Again, this experience doesn't discredit the good experiences owners seem to be having and it could be nothing more than a poorly adjusted carb and a bad sales person, but it's not a great introduction to the brand for me.

• Like 2

I've been following this thread with interest, particularly the input from the owners who all seem to have had positive experiences. That, in fact, is the only reason I'm entertaining the idea of the Keeway, as most owners of low cost brands (mostly Chinese makers, but also Tiger, etc.) for the most part are unhappy a few weeks/months in. So yesterday I went to the SYM/Keeway dealer here in Ubon. Sat on the bike, checked it out, and while they didn't have a bike I could test yesterday they were getting a used bike in today that I could take out. So I show up today, not ready to buy, but thinking if it rides as well as I hope it will I may be 50/50 on purchasing one sometime. Well, disappointingly, and somewhat comically, the bike they have for me won't run for more than 2 seconds without dying. The say the mechanic (who wasn't there) serviced it that morning and took out for a ride with no issue. The other mechanic gives it a quick one over, looking for an obvious problem, but doesn't see anything. Now, even the most reliable bike in the world can be made not to run a hundred different ways by an incompetent mechanic or some faulty part, so this doesn't in certainty mean the bike's unreliable, but it's not a great sign. A perhaps even more enlightening thing happen as I was leaving. Jokingly and light heartedly, I asked the sales lady, so is this going to happen to my bike in a few months if I buy one? Her answer (the SALES lady!) was, well this isn't a Honda, and it doesn't cost as much as a Honda, so you shouldn't expect Honda reliability. And I respond, of course I don't expect the same quality as a more expensive Honda, but shouldn't I at least be able to expect it to start? She smiled and did a shoulder shrug. Now, a sales person who's no good at selling a bike doesn't mean the bike's no good, but it was a little surprising that she didn't try to defend the bike or say this was a freak occurrence or anything- her response effectively said (rightly or wrongly) that this is what should be expected with this bike. I still want to see what it rides like, so I'll give them a call tomorrow and if the test bike is running I'll give it another shot, but I won't hold my breathe. Again, this experience doesn't discredit the good experiences owners seem to be having and it could be nothing more than a poorly adjusted carb and a bad sales person, but it's not a great introduction to the brand for me.

Typical thai story. Has more to do with thai than with chinese bikes. They don't offer a test bike. So they try to use a bike that came back with some defect. And of course as they all are thai people noone is able to say "the bike isn't ready, it isn't repaired yet, there is still something wrong with it". Noone wants to lose face so they blame the bike at the end. Says more about the dealer than about the bike itself :)

What bike are you trying to test? There are some happy owners of the RKV200 on this forum. I made a test ride with it myself. Nice bike with good torque, but lacks a bit power. The other Keeway bikes i am more sceptical, but the engines are OK and reliable. There was a report about a carb issue on one RKV. But i haven't heard about a serious engine issue so far.

Yes Mistabent and Wantan - I agree about the dealers, although I reckon the main Keeway dealer in Bangkok is pretty good.

I'm still happy with my RKV200 although I had to do a bit of DIY to get it fully road worthy on delivery. I only do a low mileage so perhaps I'm not stressing it .... although on the longer trips it does get a decent run.

I looked at the two bigger Keeway/Benellis at the Motor Expo - the 302 looks nice but a bit crude and the 4 cylinder looks good but with the Honda 650 launch I think it will be a tough sell.

The smaller Keeways like mine are bit like going back to the days of the BSA Bantam and Triumph Tiger Cub - worthy but simple bikes that need a bit of 'fettling' to keep them happy. If you want convenience - get a Scoopy - if you want something faster - get a Kawasaki/Honda, but if you want a simple, cheap but decent quality proper motorbike then try a Keeway. I'm still planning to trade up to a CB 500X (650 is a bit 'dec-wen' for me) but the Keeway keeps me happy enough so I've not even put a deposit down yet.

Hi Wantan, yes, the bike I'm talking about is the subject of the thread, the RKV 200. Thanks for your thoughts and I fully get your point, though while I know its easy and common to blame things on Thai culture or the Thai way, I think that may be a bit of stretch here. A non-working bike is a non-working bike. The cause is either poor maintenance, an incompetent mechanic that morning, or some design or mechanical flaw inherent with the bike itself. As I say above, I certainly don't assume the later based on this one small experience and given all the owners comments, but it's one of those three causes and none of us yet know the true story with this particular bike. So to just assume the problem is just about saving face and "Thai's being Thai's" and not entertain the possibility that the bike may have some reliability issues would be a little naive at this point, in my own view anyway. Regardless, I'll give it another shot today and hopefully will be able to go for a ride this time. Cheers.

My rkv should be doing about 19k+ kms... not really sure I dropped the bike after I parked n ever since then the digital dashboard don't work. Never bothered to change it. It's damn expensive. Plus I had to get a new tank since that drop dented it bad. I have to say I'm really happy with her still. Or else I wouldn't have invested hid lights, alarm and pirelli sport demon rear / mt front on her. The only thing that has failed me was the chain which broke off on me on an uphill at a red light. Of course new chain came with new sprokets. I've taken her on back roads, highway etc. But I've come to a point where I need something bigger. It's just comforting to know you got the extra kick when you need it you know. This has led me into a kawasaki Klr 650. On the waiting list... should have her by February .... my country sucks. That said I'm still keeping the rkv for city. The rest will be with the klr once I get it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi Wantan, yes, the bike I'm talking about is the subject of the thread, the RKV 200. Thanks for your thoughts and I fully get your point, though while I know its easy and common to blame things on Thai culture or the Thai way, I think that may be a bit of stretch here. A non-working bike is a non-working bike. The cause is either poor maintenance, an incompetent mechanic that morning, or some design or mechanical flaw inherent with the bike itself. As I say above, I certainly don't assume the later based on this one small experience and given all the owners comments, but it's one of those three causes and none of us yet know the true story with this particular bike. So to just assume the problem is just about saving face and "Thai's being Thai's" and not entertain the possibility that the bike may have some reliability issues would be a little naive at this point, in my own view anyway. Regardless, I'll give it another shot today and hopefully will be able to go for a ride this time. Cheers.

OK, lets not blame the thais for this smile.png

If you have a bad feeling about the RKV/Keeway then better not buy it. But basing the decision on this particular test ride at this particular dealer isn't a good idea. Yes, maybe this bike has a fault and maybe this mechanic isn't able to repair it properly. Service is bad at some Keeway dealers. If there is no other dealer in Ubon and you are unsatisfied with this dealer then better not buy. Is this a dealer that mainly sells cheap bikes like Lifan/Stallion/Keeway/Tiger/Ryuka/...?

• 2 weeks later...

He said the chain is a cheap one and its probably best to replace with a Japanese one

I second this. After 6000 km, my chain was quite fuc_ked up and my (irish) machanic changed it for a nice DiD chain.

He said that sometimes there's something in the engine that wares (didn't know the thai word he used, but it wasn't the valves) that can develop a clatter and makes a faint noise

Yes, clatter is quite perceptible at middle speed but not really annoying. Glad to hear that it doesn't affect reliability.

I just returned from a roadtrip Chiang Mai- Ayutthaya. My top speed was 120km/h on dash board if I lean my chest/head on handlebar. I would like to increase my top speed a little bit. Any idea ? smile.png

post-111213-0-92099300-1387294501_thumb.

post-111213-0-67766700-1387295100_thumb.

post-111213-0-68678400-1387295140_thumb.

Edited by DrAzTiK

He said the chain is a cheap one and its probably best to replace with a Japanese one

I second this. After 6000 km, my chain was quite fuc_ked up and my (irish) machanic changed it for a nice DiD chain.

He said that sometimes there's something in the engine that wares (didn't know the thai word he used, but it wasn't the valves) that can develop a clatter and makes a faint noise

Yes, clatter is quite perceptible at middle speed but not really annoying. Glad to hear that it doesn't affect reliability.

I just returned from a roadtrip Chiang Mai- Ayutthaya. My top speed was 120km/h on dash board if I lean my chest/head on handlebar. I would like to increase my top speed a little bit. Any idea ? smile.png

If you could only get up to that speed by reducing drag than you need a bike with more power. Changing the gearing will do nothing.

The usual 1st things to change are increase air intake with new less restrictive filter

Then increase exhaust flow with less restrictive exhaust. Of course bike will be a bit louder.

After doing these mods you will want to increase fuel flow. Since you have a carb it is quite

easy as you just change appropriate jets.

Also I do not fully agree with previous post claiming you cannot get more top end with gearing change.

You can but you may be trading low end acceleration for it

Gear Inches = Drive Wheel diameter in inches x number of teeth in front sprocket/ number of teeth in rear sprocket

Does not matter if a bicycle or motorcycle. One revolution will change distance traveled if gear is changed

For better or worse smile.png

Edited by meechai

About exhaust, what do you think of this one : I really like the look and the sound. wub.png

Can someone tell me what is the brand of this exhaust please?

Edt: damn, I also need to find theses BENELLI stickers O_o. It looks way better than my KEEWAY logo

Edited by DrAzTiK