Are The Russians Getting A Free Ride.....

CiaranO

Maybe some, but I am not a pensioner I don't pay bar fines and I don't drink in 7/11's. Interesting point though. Lets imagine that the Russians target Paris for their next tourist destination. Will the French rewrite the signs, menu's etc in Russian. I very much doubt it, so why do the Thais.

Have you ever been to Italy? Some of the restaurants do have Russian menues.

Just as you dislike Russian signs and menues, I dislike the people who go on yapping about disliking other nationalities and so I'm stating my opinion which is Go back to your English only speaking country. That if you're actually English.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some, but I am not a pensioner I don't pay bar fines and I don't drink in 7/11's. Interesting point though. Lets imagine that the Russians target Paris for their next tourist destination. Will the French rewrite the signs, menu's etc in Russian. I very much doubt it, so why do the Thais.

Just as you dislike Russian signs and menues, I dislike the people who go on yapping about disliking other nationalities and so I'm stating my opinion which is Go back to your English only speaking country. That if you're actually English.

Been to Italy numerous times and never seen a Russian menu. I will be in Bulgaria on Saturday and I will see Bulgarian signs, menus, Gypsies, Churches and Bulgarian culture, just as I would expect to. English is not as strong as Bulgarian or Russian in Bulgaria, but I will get by using my phrase book, just as I did when I came to Thailand. I don't expect the signs or menus to be in English just as I don't expect the signs to be in Russian when I am in Thailand. To me this just kills the culture of the Country.

I really don't know how I will get through life knowing that you don't like me. whistling.gif

this thread is just offense ...what right does the average pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak have to criticise what the Russian tourists are doing ?

What is with your obsession with "splay toes"? Does it have to do with the Chinese tradition of binding feet to make them more attractive? Or do you prefer women that have been wearing shoes through their childhood?

Clear enough you look down on people from the Isaan - which Thai regions/ethnic groups do you feel are preferable - or is recent-immigrant Chinese only acceptable?

Also, do you consider 23 to be over the hill even for us old fellows?

Not taking the piss, honestly curious what this phrase signifies to you. . .

Perhaps he has a hidden fetish for ducks. giggle.gif

For me, the first thing I look for in a new teerak is perfectly proportioned, well splayed toes.

Difficult to find, even in Issan; I wish I wasn't such a perfectionist....

• Like 1

Been to Italy numerous times and never seen a Russian menu. I will be in Bulgaria on Saturday and I will see Bulgarian signs, menus, Gypsies, Churches and Bulgarian culture, just as I would expect to. English is not as strong as Bulgarian or Russian in Bulgaria, but I will get by using my phrase book, just as I did when I came to Thailand. I don't expect the signs or menus to be in English just as I don't expect the signs to be in Russian when I am in Thailand. To me this just kills the culture of the Country.

I really don't know how I will get through life knowing that you don't like me. whistling.gif

English is the pure evil then as it's already killed the cultures of many countries.

I couldn't care less how you go through your life.

I don't expect the signs to be in Russian when I am in Thailand. To me this just kills the culture of the Country.

Considering English is not a official language in Thailand, one could argue the same thing about English usage in Thailand.

I don't expect the signs to be in Russian when I am in Thailand. To me this just kills the culture of the Country.

Considering English is not a official language in Thailand, one could argue the same thing about English usage in Thailand.

One could well argue that, but English for whatever reasons seems to be the way of the world.

English is the pure evil then as it's already killed the cultures of many countries.

I couldn't care less how you go through your life.

One could argue that a common language brings the world closer together.

Your last comment. Ditto.

this thread is just offense ...what right does the average pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak have to criticise what the Russian tourists are doing ?

What is with your obsession with "splay toes"? Does it have to do with the Chinese tradition of binding feet to make them more attractive? Or do you prefer women that have been wearing shoes through their childhood?

Clear enough you look down on people from the Isaan - which Thai regions/ethnic groups do you feel are preferable - or is recent-immigrant Chinese only acceptable?

This was a sincere question, if Soutpeel can't answer maybe someone who thinks they understand his thinking process could help out?

Russian signs ruining "Thai culture" - in **Pattaya**!

Pattaya has had very little sign of any decent aspects of Thai culture since it evolved from a small fishing village into the Sodom and Gomorrah of today.

The whole place is built on tourism, it's whole purpose, like that of Las Vegas, is cashflow, getting as quick a return on investment as possible.

You don't like the Russians or seeing Thais accommodate their needs? Fine, move to a place the Russians don't like. You want to find a place that accommodates English-speaking tourists but not Russians? That's asking a bit much.

What about the Indians, Arabs, Iranians? Brazilians don't need to come here, they have everything Pattaya offers right at home. Persians, Koreans, Turks? All these countries are on the ascendancy economically, their citizens will have far more to spend when they travel than the average english-speaking tourist, we'll continue to become less and less "favored" in popular destinations, no matter your opinion of their manners.

Get used to it.

This was a sincere question, if Soutpeel can't answer maybe someone who thinks they understand his thinking process could help out?

Soutpeel will answer this....

"Splayed toes".......another poster has used this term over the years on TV (cant remember who) and always thought is was a great turn of phase...hence the reason I used it, nothing to do with a perference for bound feet, Mrs Soutpeel, although not from Isaan has splayed toes as well and I constantly take the p*ss out her calling her monkey feet...biggrin.png

Dont look down on anybody from Isaan....actually I dont know anybody from Isaan...biggrin.png ......was applying the normal stereo-typical discription used all the the time on TV..

As regard 23 year olds and 50 year old men...again the stereo-typical description, which actually does have a lot of foundation in reality..if you care to open your eyes

My whole was intended to use stereo-typical descriptions of western farangs in Thailand and no different from the stereo types being presented by various TV poster about Russian tourists ie

All Russians are loud and rude and obviously in the russian mafia, and they have no place in Thailand in the eyes of certain western farangs...thumbsup.gif

In a similar vein I used the following in describing a typical western farang "pot bellied, smelly, cheap charlie, OAP, western farang with his 23 year old splay toed Isaan teerak" if I stated some wrong facts stated in my description, please feel free to correct me, but in my time in Thailand, in my experience:

1. Very large number of western farangs are pot bellied

2. Many of them do smell

3. Many are cheap charlies

4. Large numbers are OAP's

5. Many do have Thai ladies less than 23 years of age with them in tow

Trust this clarifies what you were asking...

Pattaya has had very little sign of any decent aspects of Thai culture since it evolved from a small fishing village into the Sodom and Gomorrah of today.

The whole place is built on tourism, it's whole purpose, like that of Las Vegas, is cashflow, getting as quick a return on investment as possible.

You don't like the Russians or seeing Thais accommodate their needs? Fine, move to a place the Russians don't like. You want to find a place that accommodates English-speaking tourists but not Russians? That's asking a bit much.

What about the Indians, Arabs, Iranians? Brazilians don't need to come here, they have everything Pattaya offers right at home. Persians, Koreans, Turks? All these countries are on the ascendancy economically, their citizens will have far more to spend when they travel than the average english-speaking tourist, we'll continue to become less and less "favored" in popular destinations, no matter your opinion of their manners.

Get used to it.

I cant remember saying that I did not like Russian's, but I did say that I do not like the 'Russification' of Pattaya and other areas of Thailand. The Countries that you mention, Indians, Arabs, Iranians are in fact English speaking and the tourists do speak English. It appears to be only the Russians that don't. I take your point about the tourist base changing and believe that there will be many more from the emerging Countries, such as China and India.

I really don't understand why people are putting so much importance on the Russian language because it is only spoken in Russia and the ex USSR Countries. To learn this language would be a complete waste of time, unless you lived in one of these Countries or are indeed a Thai tour guide, unlike English which is spoken world wide.

Get used to it.

I cant remember saying that I did not like Russian's, but I did say that I do not like the 'Russification' of Pattaya and other areas of Thailand. The Countries that you mention, Indians, Arabs, Iranians are in fact English speaking and the tourists do speak English. It appears to be only the Russians that don't. I take your point about the tourist base changing and believe that there will be many more from the emerging Countries, such as China and India.

I really don't understand why people are putting so much importance on the Russian language because it is only spoken in Russia and the ex USSR Countries. To learn this language would be a complete waste of time, unless you lived in one of these Countries or are indeed a Thai tour guide, unlike English which is spoken world wide.

Just give them some time..

I noticed that the younger generations have a good command of English language, and their manners are improving too.

^

Yes, keep in mind there was that cold war thing and Russians of the same generation as me and older didn't get an opportunity to learn English in their schools. They may seem cold, but it is because they don't want to embarass themselves by showing that they don't know another language. It is the Russian way.

• Like 1

Yes, thanks it does, but maybe refraining from "retaliating" against stereotypes by using more of them would keep the discussion on a more rational level?

And you think 23 is **young** WFT??

I assumed you were criticising guys that would be willing to go with a woman that **old** - I certainly wouldn't, and the older I get the stronger that preference is.

In fact it gets harder and harder to find girls that haven't already had a baby that won't get you in trouble with the law (= mafia blackmailers). At 23 it would be a very low percentage indeed!

But worth the time and trouble, at least to me. . .

Yes, thanks it does, but maybe refraining from "retaliating" against stereotypes by using more of them would keep the discussion on a more rational level?

I assumed you were criticising guys that would be willing to go with a woman that **old** - I certainly wouldn't, and the older I get the stronger that preference is.

In fact it gets harder and harder to find girls that haven't already had a baby that won't get you in trouble with the law (= mafia blackmailers). At 23 it would be a very low percentage indeed!

But worth the time and trouble, at least to me. . .

what age of girls do you think is safe or even safest ? i often sleep with girls in the 25-35 category ,of course ,some have more miles on the cock clock than others but somethings thats a positive and you get one that really knows whats shes doing :D

by my estimation , a good % of thai women get nailed around 14-15 and have their first kid in the villages,long before they get to bkk

and learn any english or work near any office

whether the thai man gives them any support or even marries them innitially ,it often doesnt last and the man disappears from his responsibilites and the kid is dumped on the grand parents ,the young "mother" is then damaged goods as far as other thai men are concerned ,so she goes to the city in search of a rich farang who will fix everything with his magic wallet ......

23 could be young or old relative to who is banging them, of course have no wish to open up that debate...I have my own opinions on that topic which I will keep to myself

The average age for first child birth in Thailand is 23.3 years old, with the average age of first marriage being 22.2. Even in Isaan the average of first birth is 22.9 years. The fertility rate for 15-19s is only 0.10 (this means average number of children born per female, and remember that those who have a child so early often have more than one). The vast majority of Thai women don't have their first child until their 20s. It only the women that farang tend to... uhhh...'attract' that usually have had a kid at such a young age. So no it is not a low percentage at all, at 23 roughly half of Thai women have never had a kid.

Source : http://web.nso.go.th...hs09_100810.pdf

One concern that I have about the large numbers of Russian tourists in Phuket is the negative effect that it has on tourists from other countries. On many occasions my (non-Russian) hotel guests tell me that they will not return to Phuket because it has become like a Russian enclave. They want to experience Thailand, not a tropical St Petersburg....

Personally, I think TAT and the responsible authorities have made a very serious error of judgement in promoting Phuket to Russian tourists. The vast majority of these visitors are so-called 'zero-baht' tourists who contribute little to the local economy.

Simon

• Like 2

One concern that I have about the large numbers of Russian tourists in Phuket is the negative effect that it has on tourists from other countries. On many occasions my (non-Russian) hotel guests tell me that they will not return to Phuket because it has become like a Russian enclave. They want to experience Thailand, not a tropical St Petersburg....

Personally, I think TAT and the responsible authorities have made a very serious error of judgement in promoting Phuket to Russian tourists. The vast majority of these visitors are so-called 'zero-baht' tourists who contribute little to the local economy.

Simon

As opposed to them not returning due to Taxi Mafia and Jet Ski scams?

It just annoys me that people get away with this.....when so many of us have to bend over backwards to live a legitimate life and keep our papers in order.

This attitude has no place in Thailand IMHO. Do you constantly walk around pissed off, thinking "Why is that guy not wearing a crash helmet?", "Why is that store selling alcohol during prohibited hours?", "Why is this shop willing waive VAT"...

If you wanted Big Brother nanny state constantly crawling up everyone's ass...might be best to board a plane.

You have chosen the security of doing things the right way; others haven't... you made your choice, they made theirs.

No need to be so flippant. The guy has a point the Russians are running ragged the immigration and business laws. I see it daily in Pattaya, but nothing will happen because as we all know. Money talks!

In this planet Money Talks - there is no doubt about it!

Did I hear someone say 'every man has his price'?

there is probably more indians /arabs/other asians /middle eastern types working illegallly in thailand than there are russians in pattaya /phuket

just its easier to spot the russians because they dont exactly blend in to to a crowd of small tanned people :D

if thy want to crack down on work permits ,start with everyone selling suits ........

there is probably more indians /arabs/other asians /middle eastern types working illegallly in thailand than there are russians in pattaya /phuket

just its easier to spot the russians because they dont exactly blend in to to a crowd of small tanned people biggrin.png

if thy want to crack down on work permits ,start with everyone selling suits ........

ill say they are easy to spot. photo taken on koh phangan earlier this week:

post-111790-0-68774400-1336623289_thumb.

They have a pretty good shot at prospering here compared to a lot of groups. One distinct trap/speed bump they tend to avoid is the adopt a local (and extended family) merry go round. Much easier to build businesses from the ground up when you don't have a dozen people leeching off you.

:-)

Edited by Heng