Aussie Tourist Killed In Bike-Truck Collision

An Australian tourist died when the motorcycle he was driving collided with a six-wheeler truck on Thaweeratpakdee Road in Maret a little past noon on April 18.

The truck driver, Wut Mekbutra, surrendered to the police at the site of the accident.

He told police that the victim, Adna Kassir, 60, was speeding head-on towards his truck.

He sounded the truck’s horn but Mr. Kassir, Wut said, didn’t change course.

Wut said he had stepped on his brakes when the motorcycle slammed into his truck.

http://www.samuiexpress.net/home/news/local-news/general-news/603-aussie-tourist-killed-in-bike-truck-collision

I'm not being callous but just another statistic. Why would they arrest the truck driver it appears he did nothing wrong, then they take the body for a autopsy I would think it would be obvious why the Aussie died.

I'm not being callous but just another statistic. Why would they arrest the truck driver it appears he did nothing wrong, then they take the body for a autopsy I would think it would be obvious why the Aussie died.

Perhaps they wanted to see if he had any alcohol or drugs in his system? If neither is the case, and the truck driver is to be believed, it could very well have been a suicide.

Why would they arrest the truck driver it appears he did nothing wrong,

So he can pay his way out of it. rolleyes.gif

Being extorted by the MIB for everything they own is why so many Thais don't hang around serious accident scenes.

Unless, of course, there's farang involved who lived, then they not only hang around, but call everyone they know to come down and get a piece!

^ Oh look, a delusional Thai hater, what a surprise. rolleyes.gif

No, someone who has actually been extorted by the BiB after an accident that wasn't his fault, including having to pay for a vehicle that wasn't ever involved.

Speaking from experience here, not some rose-tinted apologist viewpoint. smile.png

So it's ok to accuse the BiB (who are all Thai, BTW) of extorting people so often that Thai's don't hang around serious accident scenes, but when someone accuses non-police of the same extortion, they're delusional Thai-haters??

Edit: No, wait, your first post was a joke (now...).

Edited by jamesbrock
  • Like 1

In a serious accident - especially where a death has occured - all drivers are arrested until the police work out what happened. That is why it is common for the driver to run away. It is to avoid arrest.

eg if there had been a passenger on the bike, and the passenger died, but the bike driver survived - the bike driver would be arrested as well.

In a serious accident - especially where a death has occured - all drivers are arrested until the police work out what happened. That is why it is common for the driver to run away. It is to avoid arrest.

eg if there had been a passenger on the bike, and the passenger died, but the bike driver survived - the bike driver would be arrested as well.

I don't know if mine was considered a serious accident (five weeks later and I'm only now able to hobble painfully around, after spending more than 250,000 baht since then), nor do I know if the truck driver and mysterious second bike rider were actually arrested, but I do know that the BiB weren't interested in the slightest as to what happened (in fact they never even wrote a report) when I was confronted by 10-15 Thais in the police station, after leaving the first hospital, all wanting some money.

My point was, before I was accused of being a Thai hater, is probably best summed up by what you wrote in the thread about my accident Tropicalevo, "As a judge said to me once (in court) "Even if you are in the right, as a foreigner you will have to pay something.""

As for the truck driver being arrested in this case though, I don't think anything untoward about that - once again, you would think that they'd be testing him for alcohol and narcotics as well. My post above was referring to why they would do an autopsy on the victim.

Whatever the cause, it would be a horrible way to go. RIP Aussie dude. wai.gif

As for the truck driver being arrested in this case though, I don't think anything untoward about that - once again, you would think that they'd be testing him for alcohol and narcotics as well. My post above was referring to why they would do an autopsy on the victim.

One reason for an autopsy on the victim - looking for drugs and alcohol on him as well. Suicide by driving into something large is not that uncommon here in Thailand.

Whatever the cause, it would be a horrible way to go. RIP Aussie dude. wai.gifAgreed - RIP mate

Maybe he died by being hit by a truck. If the driver was not arrested then why does it matter what was in the man's blood as he is dead. Unless people want to rub salt on wounds to keep inssurence companies happy.

just leave it