Process For Obtaining A Thai Driver'S License In Chiang Mai?

DavidMavec

No, it is not available for tourists. You must have a NI-O visa. You may drive on your home-country license as long as it is valid plus an international license issued in your home country. The clearest information is found by using Google. Sometimes, the threads on ThaiVisa can be confusing to newcomers. Your case is really quite simple: no license on a tourist visa.

Edited by Mapguy

No, it is not available for tourists. You must have a NI-O visa. You may drive on your home-country license as long as it is valid plus an international license issued in your home country. The clearest information is found by using Google. Sometimes, the threads on ThaiVisa can be confusing to newcomers. Your case is really quite simple: no license on a tourist visa.

I am not a newcomer but I DO have a friend who obtained his Thai driver's license with a tourist visa, same same like me. JING JING!!

Edited by DavidMavec

I got my Thai licence on a 30day visa exempt. Went to the Aus Embassy and filled out a stat dec re my address in Thailand.

Took that, a doctors certicate, copy of photo page in passport to the rta in Korat. Did the colour test,reaction test and the green, red and amber test and was given a one year licence. This was done on the day before I flew back to Aus.

Maybe it depend on where you go.

It seems the rule is there are no rules.

I want to get a Thai licence also and even though i live here permanantly(bar a couple weeks a yr in uk ) on a tourist visa, I am optimistic that I will have no such problem.

Sorry Mapguy, but it's posts like this that makes some threads confusing to newcomers - written with a sense of authority, yet factually wrong.

As others have written, and the OP's mate can testify, one can get a DL on a tourist visa.

OP, you'll need to take in the following documents:

• Main page passport.
  • Visa page passport.
  • Last entry stamp and TM card.
  • Proof of residence (work permit, yellow tabien ban, or certificate of residence from your embassy or Thai Immigration).
  • Medical certificate (available at almost any medical centre)
  • Your current DL & International Drivers Permit (IDP), if you have them.

If you’re going for both motorcycle and car, take two copies of each.

If you have an IDP, you will only need to do the colour blindness and reaction tests; if not, you might be able to getting away with doing these with just your licence, but you should have do to a theory test and a practical test.

It seems the rule is there are no rules.

Oh there are rules, but whether they're followed depends on who you see at which office, their level of training and/or knowledge, their job satisfaction, and their particular mood on the particular day you see them.

• Like 2

Re-posting my location information here from the closed dup topic:

I can supply the location via below Google Map (Land Transport Department), others can fill in the current requirements. Going south on Hang Dong road on the left side of the road just before the Big C intersection. Drive slow near there as the entrance may not be obvious.

post-566-0-54071100-1335968936_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to the TV posters who provided the information and location. I have been in Thailand for 15 years and have never had a Thai drivers license and it has never once been a problem. But having just moved to CM I was thinking I might as well get one. Now I know what to do and where to go. Question: Does immigration provide this "certificate of residence" easily just for asking?

re .

Going south on Hang Dong road on the left side of the road just before

this footbridge : )

dave2

lol, great work dave2!

Thanks again to the TV posters who provided the information and location. I have been in Thailand for 15 years and have never had a Thai drivers license and it has never once been a problem. But having just moved to CM I was thinking I might as well get one. Now I know what to do and where to go. Question: Does immigration provide this "certificate of residence" easily just for asking?

From what I understand, they should ask to see proof - rental agreement, yellow tabien ban, work permit, etc., but, my last sentence in the post above could apply to this as well.

In my situation, I had none of the above, so I grabbed a Statutory Declaration (Stat Dec) from the Aussie embassy in Bangkok (they don't require proof). As I wanted to get both licences, but only got one Stat Dec, I took this to Immigration in Nathon, and used it to get two Certificates of Residence.

+1

Thanks to everyone for the great help!!**

**except Mapguy, no thanks needed there.

In fairness to Mapguy May I also quote James brock:

"Oh there are rules, but whether they're followed depends on who you see at which office, their level of training and/or knowledge, their job satisfaction, and their particular mood on the particular day you see them"

My take on it was the same as Mapguy's so I am surprised and enightened to find out otherwise. Still, regarding Jamesbrock's posting - it may be the same as the Immigration Office - it depends on which officer that you see, the day that you see them and your attitude.

Good luck.

Mapguy is not exactly wrong in what he says. It has always been the case, at least for the last 25 years as far as I know. This has always been a bone of contention on Thaivisa. The best way it to look at the requirements on any Thai government website...........extract...

To apply for a Thai Driving Licence it is necessary to provide the following:-

1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. Please note it is not possible to obtain

a Thai Driving Licence with a Tourist Visa

1. Residence address in Thailand certified by the British Embassy in Bangkok or

by the Thai Immigration Office in the area you are staying

c) Medical Certificate stating good health, obtainable from a GP in Thailand

d) Driving Licence of country of nationality / residence

e) Fee: Baht 105 for cars and Baht 55 for motorcycles (subject to change without notice)

Applying for a Thai Driving Licence must be made in person. Foreigners unable to speak Thai are advised to arrange for a Thai friend to accompany them to provide interpretation. Fill in the application form (issued in Thai language only) and attach the required documentary evidence as indicated above. Join a class for instruction on the laws related to driving and how to drive safely in Thailand - the class is for two hours. Take a test for colour blindness.

HOWEVER.....Many people have obtained a driving licence on a tourist visa, myself included some 25 years ago. Since then I have never produced another medical certificate. There are rules and then there are rules. rolleyes.gif

@jamesbrock and others: I now have all my documentation together and getting the certificate of residency at immigration was easy, just had to go with my passport, make some photocopies, have pictures taken and fill out a short form (I'd already done this when I bought my motorbike on another occasion). Then I had to come back later for the certificate, 500 baht. Also the medical certificate was easy, just 100 baht at the public hospital. I am wondering if you know if I need to bring passport-sized photos to the office where I get my driver's license? I imagine I do since it seems I need them for everything in Thailand but you didn't put it in your post so wasn't sure.

@lexilis One worthwhile use for a Thai driver's license is getting the same price as Thai people at places like the zoo, hot springs, museums, etc. Getting the certificate of residency at Immigration is quite easy; you just bring a signed letter from the place where you live and your passport and you probably will have to come back later to pick it up and pay 500 baht.

@Gladiator Yeah but he wrote his post as if he really knew what he was talking about like he was some great authority when in reality he had no clue: "your case is really quite simple: no license on a tourist visa". Please. Welcome to Thailand.

I am wondering if you know if I need to bring passport-sized photos to the office where I get my driver's license? I imagine I do since it seems I need them for everything in Thailand but you didn't put it in your post so wasn't sure.

Not necessary, they use a digital camera and print the photo onto the license.

@jamesbrock and others: I now have all my documentation together and getting the certificate of residency at immigration was easy, just had to go with my passport, make some photocopies, have pictures taken and fill out a short form (I'd already done this when I bought my motorbike on another occasion). Then I had to come back later for the certificate, 500 baht. Also the medical certificate was easy, just 100 baht at the public hospital. I am wondering if you know if I need to bring passport-sized photos to the office where I get my driver's license? I imagine I do since it seems I need them for everything in Thailand but you didn't put it in your post so wasn't sure.

@lexilis One worthwhile use for a Thai driver's license is getting the same price as Thai people at places like the zoo, hot springs, museums, etc. Getting the certificate of residency at Immigration is quite easy; you just bring a signed letter from the place where you live and your passport and you probably will have to come back later to pick it up and pay 500 baht.

@Gladiator Yeah but he wrote his post as if he really knew what he was talking about like he was some great authority when in reality he had no clue: "your case is really quite simple: no license on a tourist visa". Please. Welcome to Thailand.

Good to hear the certificate of residency was so easy to get.

Be sure to let us know how you go.

you will only be issued with a 1 year tempory licence at best with a tourist visa and you need to also provide a medical certificate which can be obtained for approx. 100 baht at the hospital on the way to the transport office,

you will also need a residence certificate that you can get from immigration for 500 baht and you need to provide some sort of proof of address like a rental agreement etc.

after one year you can upgrade to a full thai 5 year driving licence but you'll need a better visa than a tourist one,

if you head towards hangdong and at the big C junction there's a bridge type sign over the road and the transport office is under that sign a road to the left - mayeb 50 meters b5 the entrance to big C.

if you have a driving licence from Euro etc take it along and you can just take some eye tests etc and along with the medical certificate you can get both motor bike and car tempory driving licences .

wai.gif My goodness, Mr. Mavec! Such a slap in the face! sad.png Just trying to be helpful. Sorry to have upset you so much! In my post I referred (Google) to what information, not gossip, is basically available. I apologize that I did not post the urls for the two sites that I checked. They are quite easy to find, as well as others. For the "regular" requirements there are actually quite a number of threads on this site, some quite recent.

It is quite true that different offices in Thailand, including Land Transport, have some discretion, varying operations and degrees of staff expertise. The several threads on government offices give plenty of evidence of that! That's why some official matters can sometimes be quite confusing to newcomers, even oldtimers! But I think you'll find the people at the department very helpful.

I think many will find it interesting how a tourist obtains a license without all the non-exempt visa exceptions (whatever they may be) and so on. I don't recall any such thing having been mentioned before in the several threads on this topic. Maybe I missed it. You can help by sharing the specific details of your experience.

Good luck --- and a safe journey! smile.png

Edited by Mapguy

Collected my Thai licences from Pattaya last week and they handed back my IDP and photocopies of it and said 'no need you have English licence'. Also the fee for both car and motorcycle licences was 360 baht.

Prebably change the rules again next week.

re ...

I think many will find it interesting how a tourist obtains a license without all the non-exempt visa exceptions (whatever they may be) and so on. I don't recall any such thing having been mentioned before in the several threads on this topic. Maybe I missed it. You can help by sharing the specific details of your experience.

mapguys right !

let us know how you get on with the land transport office in chiang mai : )

not in korat .. pattaya .. nakon nowhere .. but in chiang mai : )

dave2

Sorry if repeating, but didn't read all the above posts. But I just got my Thai car and motorbike licenses on Monday. Bringing a native Thai speaker makes life sooooooooooooooooo much easier. I was in and out in under 30 min. I got the new "smart cards" that allow my new licenses to be used in all of the SE Asian countries, which i think is pretty cool. But not China. SE Asia down to Indonesia (and i think Singapore too). That's a nice perk. I hate they haven't yet combined a motorsi and car license into just one license. My wallet is thick enough; sooooo much money! NOT!. The process was ez for me because I had a valid US license with a motorbike endorsement on it. Total cost was 340THB. The eye and reaction tests are kind of stupid but at least it puts SOME level of safety into the system (of course I'm sure a person who failed would drive with or w/out the license anyway). Just be sure and go b4 your letter of residency as I went on the last day of validity. I was shocked as it had felt to me I had just gotten it, I couldn't' believe it had already been 30 days!

Question: if we change address, which I plan on doing in the near future, do we need to get a new license? In the States, or California at least, you can just hand write your new address on the back.

Another benefit to having a TDL is that it has your passport number on it. I have a student ID w/my passport number on it and it has saved me having to drive back to my house numerous times. It is about to expire but now have government issues DL w/passport number on it. Most places will accept it in lieu of a passport (unless of course they need to see you stamps or something (e.g. immigration).

Also, I saw a friend of mine have his passport info page copied and then his signature page copied and shrunk down to wallet size. They then put the two copies back to back and had it laminated. It fit perfectly in his wallet. So in essence, he had a copy of his passport (sans stamps) that he could keep in his wallet. I'm going to do that, very smart.

You should pretty much have all of the details from the responders but you might also find this resource helpful: http://darindunn.com...versLicense.pdf

I began to worry as soon as I saw Clip Art! While a good try, your guide has a few errors, and makes too many assumptions (which, presumably, were based on your personal experience) to be helpful to the greater expat population of CM.

1. It assumes the reader is a US citizen.

2. It assumes the reader already has a driver's licence for a car.

3. It assumes the reader doesn't have a driver's licence for a motorbike.

As for the addendum, your one year licence has to be expired before you can get the five year licence.

Again, a good try, and kudos for putting in the effort.

Totally wrong! I have both my car driver's license and my motorbike license both on a tourist visa. This is misinformation. Have a look at my post from last November when I got my licenses with my tourist visa and letter of residency from CM Immigration.

Ignore the guys who will continually tell you it can't be done - it is done all the time.