Process For Obtaining A Thai Driver'S License In Chiang Mai?

DavidMavec

Why would a tourist need a Thai drivers license?

Lot's of folks on tourist visa(s) stay in Thailand quite a long time. I know lots of guys working month offshore/month in Thailand.

I think he was refering to the Government's mind set on this, "Why would a tourist require a driving license?" It's a fair question for a government to make, seen as it offers many NI visas for long term people (whether it pleases us or not is not an issue). Maybe its not so good to talk about it so openly as it's an easy target for loop-hole closure/cracking down on, when the next scapegoat news item is required.

Edited by wolf5370

Why would a tourist need a Thai drivers license?

In my case, my Canadian license was about to expire. Just one of those little details overlooked. It just made sense to obtain a Thai license. And, as another poster mentioned, sometimes tourists stay for a long time, I am on my second dual entry tourist visa with extensions. You'd also be surprised at the positive response you get from Thais when you show them Thai identification. It brings you a little closer to the country you are living/staying in, and since the license has your passport number on it, it becomes an all inclusive ID.

I've had a Thai DL for many years now and I still don't feel anymore "Thai" then I did ten years ago.

My opinion is that some people just want one to wear as a badge of Honor, And it makes them feel like a local/native?

I've had a Thai DL for many years now and I still don't feel anymore "Thai" then I did ten years ago.

My opinion is that some people just want one to wear as a badge of Honor, And it makes them feel like a local/native?

Can't say I have ever seen anyone wearing their Thai DL. As DowntownAl said, it brings him closer to the community - that's hardly the same as believing himself to be native. Nothing wrong with trying to integrate with the community - it's when foreigners do not that ghettos and associated issues appear.

• Like 1

Can't say I have ever seen anyone wearing their Thai DL. As DowntownAl said, it brings him closer to the community - that's hardly the same as believing himself to be native. Nothing wrong with trying to integrate with the community - it's when foreigners do not that ghettos and associated issues appear.

Well said.

How does having a drivers license from what ever country your in bring you closer to the "community"?

I do believe 100% in doing things legally no matter what country I'm living in. Having the Correct Visas,drivers license insurance,paying taxes and the lot.

But, I'm not understanding how it brings me closer to the community?

I'd be curious to know how many foreigners that have a DL here actually bought insurance too.(if it were required)

Bet ya that would cut the number in half as to people that would apply for one, just to feel part of the community...

And do you really think I ment they actually have them pinned to their shirt?

Did the OP ever get his DL on his tourist visa?

Edited by highonthai

I'm the OP and some posters have asked how I fared getting a driver's license on a tourist visa in Chiang Mai, so here goes:

Because of various schedule conflicts, I was unable to go at the beginning of last week like I wanted and I ended up going today.

Getting the licenses was about as easy as it gets.

I arrived at 9:00 AM and there were lots of people already there.

I took all the paperwork jamesbrock recommended, having made two photocopies of everything before I went. I also took photocopies of my motorbike documentation (green book, receipt, insurance etc.) but this ended up not being necessary. I had to fill out a short form for each license (there's a different license for car and motorcycle).

Since I had a driver's license from another country, which happens to be from a different country than my passport/visa, the only test I had to take was the color blind eye test. Then I waited for my number to be called for payment and having the photo for the licenses taken.

The whole process took about 75 minutes and it was totally stress free. You just get shuffled around to different windows and the people were very friendly.

Other posters had said they recommended going with a Thai person so I had a Thai friend with me. Nonetheless, it was totally unnecessary as everyone spoke excellent English, surprisingly well for a government office.

Whatever has been posted, it seems that it is totally legitimate to get a license on a tourist visa, I don't think it's a "loophole" or anything, like some posters have called it. According to the lady, the difference is that if I stay in Thailand on a tourist visa and next year I want to renew it, they will only give me one year. If I have an ED or a non-O visa, I will get five years.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

And do you really think I ment they actually have them pinned to their shirt?

I'm going to photo copy mine and have it printed on a t-shirt.tongue.png

BTW - just because you don't understand something doesn't mean other people don't. Different strokes for different folks.

Good topic for me this one!

I need to renew my one year license and have all the documents etc in place.

Can anyone tell me what time it opens or even recommend the best time to go?

Thanks in advance.

I use my TDL quite frequently and I don't even drive. Your address is printed in Thai on the back, so it's easy to show at a shop when they're filling out forms for home delivery of purchases. The info is arranged the same way as on a standard Thai ID card, so it's easy for the people at the movie theater to check your date of birth for senior discounts. You passport number is on it, when you're asked for passport number for some transactions.

Besides, my IDL was about to expire and I'd lost my U.S. drivers license, and I know it's easier to get a Thai license if you have a valid license elsewhere. So got the TDL days before the IDL expired. I've been told that I can use that TDL if I ever return to the U.S. and want to rent a car.

Plus, the TDL is cute. Check out the little pandas in the lower right corner.

Thanks in advance.

It opens at 9 AM and I would recommend you get there a bit before 9 to avoid longer lines.

Thanks in advance.

It opens at 9 AM and I would recommend you get there a bit before 9 to avoid longer lines.

just a bit of info please,can you go to one of the many clinics for medical certificate, for thai driving licence or do you have to go to a hospital,if so which one

Thanks in advance.

just a bit of info please,can you go to one of the many clinics for medical certificate, for thai driving licence or do you have to go to a hospital,if so which one

Any clinic or any hospital, you just have to be breathing. 50 baht at your local clinic or 100 baht at a hospital

I'm the OP and some posters have asked how I fared getting a driver's license on a tourist visa in Chiang Mai, so here goes:

Because of various schedule conflicts, I was unable to go at the beginning of last week like I wanted and I ended up going today.

I took all the paperwork jamesbrock recommended, having made two photocopies of everything before I went. I also took photocopies of my motorbike documentation (green book, receipt, insurance etc.) but this ended up not being necessary. I had to fill out a short form for each license (there's a different license for car and motorcycle).

Since I had a driver's license from another country, which happens to be from a different country than my passport/visa, the only test I had to take was the color blind eye test. Then I waited for my number to be called for payment and having the photo for the licenses taken.

The whole process took about 75 minutes and it was totally stress free. You just get shuffled around to different windows and the people were very friendly.

Other posters had said they recommended going with a Thai person so I had a Thai friend with me. Nonetheless, it was totally unnecessary as everyone spoke excellent English, surprisingly well for a government office.

Whatever has been posted, it seems that it is totally legitimate to get a license on a tourist visa, I don't think it's a "loophole" or anything, like some posters have called it. According to the lady, the difference is that if I stay in Thailand on a tourist visa and next year I want to renew it, they will only give me one year. If I have an ED or a non-O visa, I will get five years.

Thanks for the help.

Good report. Thanks.

Thanks for the help.

Good report. Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I wore a big smile when approaching the staff and made an effort to be very friendly and respectful. They returned the courtesy. I think this goes a long way in Thailand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help.

Good report. Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I wore a big smile when approaching the staff and made an effort to be very friendly and respectful. They returned the courtesy. I think this goes a long way in Thailand.

Absolutely!

So there you have it, and thanks to the OP for this report.

But remember a few important points in his experience:

1) OP has a tourist visa, issued by a Thai embassy or consulate. He did not do this with a visa exempt stamp.

2) OP had to do all the usual- medical report, certificate of residence, etc. OP had a valid overseas drivers license as well.

3) If OP only has a tourist visa when he comes in to renew in a year...he will only get another 1 year, not a 5 year as is normally the case.

Glad to hear DLT has loosened up the procedure for people getting a Thai drivers license.

Really it is in their interest to have as many licensed drivers as possible.

Now can DLT do something about the 15 year old children, obviously unlicensed, driving a scooter with no helmet, and 2 friends behind?

So there you have it, and thanks to the OP for this report.

But remember a few important points in his experience:

1) OP has a tourist visa, issued by a Thai embassy or consulate. He did not do this with a visa exempt stamp.

2) OP had to do all the usual- medical report, certificate of residence, etc. OP had a valid overseas drivers license as well.

3) If OP only has a tourist visa when he comes in to renew in a year...he will only get another 1 year, not a 5 year as is normally the case.

Glad to hear DLT has loosened up the procedure for people getting a Thai drivers license.

Really it is in their interest to have as many licensed drivers as possible.

Now can DLT do something about the 15 year old children, obviously unlicensed, driving a scooter with no helmet, and 2 friends behind?

I forgot to mention it in my report but the lady said it was possible to obtain a DL on a 30 day visa exempt stamp also...