Krung Thai Bank - "Miracle Thailand" Debit Card For Foreigners.

Finlaco

Just read about a new but limited payment card that might be helpful for TV members who cant open a bank account in Thailand

The Tourism Authority of Thailand and Krung Thai Bank last week launched the "Miracle Thailand" debit card for foreigners.

The aim is to promote the Miracle Thailand Year campaign and to offer more convenient way of spending among visitors, said TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni.

The card holder does not require to have a passbook with Krung Thai Bank. There is no annual fee, he said, adding that the debit card can also boost spending because visitors who are afraid of credit card fraud have an alternative of safety payment.

The Miracle Thailand card is offered at all branches of Krung Thai Bank, including its currency exchange booths and the booth of the Association of Thai Travel Agents at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The price is 100 baht, which includes a package of Krungthai Panich Insurance covering seven-day personal accident insurance for up to 10,000 baht for outpatient treatment, a maximum of 500,000 baht for inpatient treatment, and life insurance of one million baht. The card holder can top up the amount in the debit card to the maximum value of 30,000 baht at any branch of Krung Thai Bank and its nationwide currency exchange booths.

The Miracle Thailand card also offers 5%-90% discounts for card holders when shopping at The Mall, Emporium, Siam Paragon, Paradise Park, MBK Center, King Power Duty Free, Siam Park or for services at Siam Niramit and Safari World.

According to Krung Thai Bank, the card holder can also buy goods or withdraw cash from ATMs any where in Thailand without any charges.

Edited by Finlaco
  • Like 1

Thanks very much OP, very interesting and informative.

I have an account with Bangkok Bank however I like spreading he risk of loss through theft so I normally travel with 5 or 6 cards, plus my BKK account, plus cash. I like the idea of firing 30.000 baht cash onto this card on arrival, especially if there are discounts to be had.

Thanks for that info.

Thanks very much OP, very interesting and informative.

I have an account with Bangkok Bank however I like spreading he risk of loss through theft so I normally travel with 5 or 6 cards, plus my BKK account, plus cash. I like the idea of firing 30.000 baht cash onto this card on arrival, especially if there are discounts to be had.

Thanks for that info.

Seconded,

Very interesting indeed.

Yermaneewai.gif

IF it is Visa or MasterCard and has a CVV for online transactions it is certainly interesting.

Any further details available online?

http://www.ktbdebit.ktb.co.th/visadebitcard.jsp?id=23

Miracle Thailand Card

1. About Miracle Thailand Card

We proudly present “Miracle Thailand Card for the Miracle Journey in Thailand”. Any spending via Miracle Thailand card, you will not only enjoy lots of special benefits which you will be provided to the cardholders but also a peace of mind privilege of Personal Accident Insurance. Moreover, there is no surcharge to any transaction from ATM machines in Thailand so you can save your money even more.

2. Special Benefit

• Exclusive discounts 5-70% from more than 400 brand name stores from all

top-notch shopping centers : Siam Paragon, Siam Center, Siam Discovery, The Emporium, Paradise Park, MBK center and Tha Mall

• King Power: 10% discount at King Power duty free shop

• Siam Niramit: 10% discount for the show tickets

• Siam Park City: Only 750 THB from 1,150 THB (normal price) for both the entrance fee ticket and a buffet, when purchasing 4 park tickets

Find out more information of brand name list at www.ktb.co.th

3. Insurance for Cardholder

Personal Accident Insurance will be your guardian for the first 7 days of entry to Thailand.

• Cover up to 1,000,000 THB and First Aid Medical Expenses up to 10,000 THB

• No advanced cash required for First Aid Medical Expenses at any 260 high

standard hospitals throughout Thailand.

Find out more information at www.ktb.co.th

or contact Hospital Service Call Center at 02-612-8948

4. No ATM Surcharge

There is no ATM Surcharge every time you withdraw cash from any ATM machines in Thailand which helps you saving up to 150 THB cash withdrawal surcharge unlike credit cards.

5. Risk Free Currency Exchange Rate

Make a one time top-up to avoid variable exchange rate

6. How to get Miracle Thailand card

• Krung Thai Bank (KTB) branches or more details at www.ktb.co.th

• KTB currency exchange booths throughout Thailand

• The Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA)

• The Leading Travel Agencies in Thailand

7. How to Top-Up

Top-up cash at any KTB branches and KTB currency exchange booths throughout Thailand

8. Contact List

• KTB Call Center 1551

• The Hospital Network Call Center 02-612-8948

9. *We reserve the right to change the subjects without prior notice.

totster :D

• Like 1

I opened another savings account with SCB recently and got a debit card that acts as atm card, the card also has accident and life insurance, I got the gold card and it will cost me 1000 baht per year but if I have an accident and attend hospital within 24 hours I get cover for 25,000 Baht, nothing to pay up front, just present the card atb the hospital (the list of hospitals is extensive), the gold card also has 500,000 Baht life insurance with it.

they also do a silver card, i think 400 baht per year that gives you 10,000 baht cover at hospital and 100,000 life insurance.

i have credit cards for online purchases but just checking the debit card it is mastercard and has cvv number on the back.

I do have work permit which they checked so I am not sure if this is available without work permit, the card is called 'Debit Plus'

• Like 2

The problem with credit cards issued by Thai banks is that they insist on a working permit. Any monthly income is sufficient to get a credit card.

But if you are retired and not working, it's almost impossible to get a Thai bank based credit card, even if you have millions of US$ in an account.

Almost, because after 5 years of business with my Kasikornbank branch, they finally offered my a "normal" VISA credit card called "Premiere". Besides this, I had already their ATM card, which is also a VISA debit card, accepted everywhere, but no special discounts in the malls and no VIP parking (if that is important to you, LOL ).

So this new Krung Thai card seems indeed to be a welcome thing. Hopefully the other banks follow.

the important thing for me would be , is it a card you can use for 1 holiday etc and then it expires after 90 days or is it a card that can be topped up /refilled with 30,000 as often as necessary over a few years ?

if there is a 100 thb 1 off charge and then you have a card for as long as you want , it sounds all right

we went throgh the phase in europe of "virtual credit cards " and there was a charge to put money in ,a short expiry date ,and a charge to get money out

they were not good value at all ,compared to regular credit cards issued by visa

• 5 months later...

maximum 30.000 Baht is too low.

I found the following limits in the terms on KTB site:

Minimum of 100 Baht/time/card and

Maximum of 50,000 Baht/time/card

So it's looking like quite reasonable offer. What i was not able to find online is what happens when card is lost/stolen :drunk: ? Can you just walk in into KTB branch/exchange booth and get your funds with a passport?

• 2 months later...

maximum 30.000 Baht is too low.

5-90 % discount is a joke.

I guess another good idea which won't work because of some problems in the details....

Especially detail no 9 ........ *We reserve the right to change the subjects without prior notice. !?

I highly suspicious - I have used this bank for many years and there have been countless times that they've turned round to me and said, 'sorry you don't qualify as you are not Thai". This bank is for Thai people.

To those asking about shopping online etc - I use entropay(Virtual Credit card) - it is very convenient - I transfer money easily and cheaply from banks to shops etc. I also have a plastic card which I used while travelling last year. https://www.entropay.com/

I opened another savings account with SCB recently and got a debit card that acts as atm card, the card also has accident and life insurance, I got the gold card and it will cost me 1000 baht per year but if I have an accident and attend hospital within 24 hours I get cover for 25,000 Baht, nothing to pay up front, just present the card atb the hospital (the list of hospitals is extensive), the gold card also has 500,000 Baht life insurance with it.

they also do a silver card, i think 400 baht per year that gives you 10,000 baht cover at hospital and 100,000 life insurance.

i have credit cards for online purchases but just checking the debit card it is mastercard and has cvv number on the back.

I do have work permit which they checked so I am not sure if this is available without work permit, the card is called 'Debit Plus'

I like to know if the 500,000 life cover is just for Accidental death I bet it is and not death by any form.

• 3 weeks later...