Australia Wants Thai Workers To Work In Its Construction Industry

webfact

All this whinginging about having to apply for jobs in australia from overseas is a load of <deleted>!! many of the labour recruiting centres for mines and gasfields have been closed down through lack of local applicants here in southern queensland,for the people who are serious about working there are jobs galore , but still over 60% of vacancies are going to overseas workers, it seems they dont take 2sickies for State of Origin

Why would they want Thais? When I read on Thaivisa that they can't get Thais to work for them or that there is full employment and they have to hire illegal Burmese, Cambodian, etc. So why would not Australia hire Burmese, Cambodian, etc. as well since they are cheaper than Thais apparently?

There is a statutory minimum wage no matter what nationality!

Still Thais are fully employed. Employers here say they cannot find Thais to work?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is attending official functions with her Thai counterpart, Yingluck Shinawatra, as a battle rages over jobs and the loyalty of her MPs.

It's a welcome distraction for Ms Gillard as tension mounts over rumours of another Kevin Rudd challenge and the fallout of mining magnate Gina Rinehart's deal to import 1700 foreign workers.

Labor MPs arriving for four days of parliament sittings on Monday have been tight-lipped about reports chief government whip Joel Fitzgibbon has been counting the numbers for former leader Kevin Rudd.

And caucus members are at odds over who is to blame for the bungled announcement on Friday of a deal to allow the world's richest woman, Gina Rinehart, to import 1700 workers to help build a massive iron ore project in Western Australia.

Fairfax reported that ministers Chris Bowen and Martin Ferguson, who backed Mr Rudd in February's leadership ballot, have told colleagues they were hung out to dry by Ms Gillard as she distanced herself from the worker visa policy in a bid to placate unions.

610511-gillard-thai-pm.jpg

Prime Minister Julia Gillard meets with Thailand's Prime Minister Ms Yingluck Shinawatra in Parliament House in Canberra.

Picture: Gary Ramage

Source: The Daily Telegraph

That is a nasty bit of business.

There is a tornado brewing and Julia could lose her job over this. Anyone remember the Patricks / MUA fight where Patricks wanted to bring in thier own work force from overseas and sack all the Australian workers. Yinluk is doing the right thing by Thais but Julia is selling out australians. Deja Vu I think.

remember the mua -patricks fight, another union instigated disturbance, I mean the employers only objected to paying workers 48 hours pay when the workers concerned were only turning up for 20 hours work a week,the brisbane docks at the time had the worst turnaround times in the world,to unload and load a specific ship in brisbane anything up to 7 days, the same ship load and unload in Hamburg 36 hours and in singapore only 18hours, the probablem lies with the work ethics of many australian workers ,who have got the art of skiving and taking sickies down pat, what happened to a fair days work for a fair days paywai.gif

If you remember it went all the way to the Full Bench of the High Court like all the courts below them ruled in favour of the workers. It was the government and companies who were found to be the bad guys and not the workers.

All this whinginging about having to apply for jobs in australia from overseas is a load of <deleted>!! many of the labour recruiting centres for mines and gasfields have been closed down through lack of local applicants here in southern queensland,for the people who are serious about working there are jobs galore , but still over 60% of vacancies are going to overseas workers, it seems they dont take 2sickies for State of Origin

I know of people who have been trying to get into the mining sector for years. I am told you have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a job in the minning industry the waiting list is years long.

Edited by chooka

I know of people who have been trying to get into the mining sector for years. I am told you have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a job in the minning industry the waiting list is years long.

An interesting Four Corners Programme this evening on Maroochydore Coal Mines and local amenitites having to import staff from Thailand etc for hospitality.

Be interesting to see what the unions in Australia say about this.ermm.gif

What can the unions say!! plenty of building work here on the darling downs,60,000 men under the age of 45 on the dole, but most of them not interested in work of any type, the gasfields here are screaming out for workers , great pay, but the agencies are having to bring in workers from england ,ireland and germany,

Yes thats EXACTLY the problem in Australia - a mate of mine has a daughter who has 1 young son - she desperately WANTS to work as she is bored senseless by staying at home - she is well educated ...when she went to Centrelink to ask about a job, they told her not to even think about it - and said just go home and look after your son -we will pay you $1000 a week anyway, so you dont need to worry! Not kidding, thats what she was told...

The end result is that this sort of attitude pervades Australian society, and the school leavers and others now couldnt be bothered to get a real job when they get money from the government, and even those who WANT to work are turned away!

So.....

Australia has to bring in overseas labour to make up for the useless mob they have sitting on their <deleted> collecting the dole for NOTHING....

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is attending official functions with her Thai counterpart, Yingluck Shinawatra, as a battle rages over jobs and the loyalty of her MPs.

It's a welcome distraction for Ms Gillard as tension mounts over rumours of another Kevin Rudd challenge and the fallout of mining magnate Gina Rinehart's deal to import 1700 foreign workers.

Labor MPs arriving for four days of parliament sittings on Monday have been tight-lipped about reports chief government whip Joel Fitzgibbon has been counting the numbers for former leader Kevin Rudd.

And caucus members are at odds over who is to blame for the bungled announcement on Friday of a deal to allow the world's richest woman, Gina Rinehart, to import 1700 workers to help build a massive iron ore project in Western Australia.

Fairfax reported that ministers Chris Bowen and Martin Ferguson, who backed Mr Rudd in February's leadership ballot, have told colleagues they were hung out to dry by Ms Gillard as she distanced herself from the worker visa policy in a bid to placate unions.

610511-gillard-thai-pm.jpg

Prime Minister Julia Gillard meets with Thailand's Prime Minister Ms Yingluck Shinawatra in Parliament House in Canberra.

Picture: Gary Ramage

Source: The Daily Telegraph

That is a nasty bit of business.

I take it you mean the one on the right... ?

• Like 1

They won't have any problems filling positions with Aussies as they come up as you virtually have to kill someone to get a job or have a contact in the industry. My good mate in Nakon Sawon who after 25 yrs as a copper in Aust now works as a security gaurd in the mines, 2wks on 2wks off, fly in / fly out ex Perth and earns up to 200K AUD. (wages, allowances & tax breaks for remote locality etc) He flys from BKK to Perth and they fly him from there. 12 hr shifts but 2 days are taken up with travelling and admin so 60 hr weeks and 5 weeks leave per year.

Doesnt 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off equate to 26 weeks off - oh - "off" not "leave" - I see... so in fact it would be 23.5 weeks work, 23.5 weeks "off" and 5 weeks "leave"...sounds like a great job! biggrin.png

I dont mean to harp on about this theme, but we live slap bang in the middle of the mining area and on the edge of the gas fields, we have housewives doing jobsharing driving trucks and scrapers on the mine because they cannot get male drivers, they are not just looking for thai or chinese workers they are looking for anyone willing to work,but as someone else mentioned earlier, a young unmarried couple with a couple of kids, can clear 3600dollars a month from social security,and then they get food parcels twice a month ,petrol and clothing vouchers,why go out to work when you can get 900 bucks aweek for staying at home, here endeth the lesson!!

They won't have any problems filling positions with Aussies as they come up as you virtually have to kill someone to get a job or have a contact in the industry. My good mate in Nakon Sawon who after 25 yrs as a copper in Aust now works as a security gaurd in the mines, 2wks on 2wks off, fly in / fly out ex Perth and earns up to 200K AUD. (wages, allowances & tax breaks for remote locality etc) He flys from BKK to Perth and they fly him from there. 12 hr shifts but 2 days are taken up with travelling and admin so 60 hr weeks and 5 weeks leave per year.

Doesnt 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off equate to 26 weeks off - oh - "off" not "leave" - I see... so in fact it would be 23.5 weeks work, 23.5 weeks "off" and 5 weeks "leave"...sounds like a great job! biggrin.png

The way I see it 2 weeks = 14 days. 12 hr shifts = 168 hours worked in 2 weeks.

Australia has a 38 hr working week so 168 divided by 38 = 4.42 weeks worked in that 2 week period. (2.21 per week) In a 4 week period you get 8 rest days and 1 RDO = 9 days (5 extra here)

2 on / 2 off = 26 weeks per year - 5 weeks leave = 21 weeks Then take off the 8 public holidays that leaves 19.6 weeks per year.

19.6 X 2.21 (hours per week worked) = 43.31 weeks (accumalated hours worked per year)

The average Australian works around 45 weeks per yr when you take out say 5 weeks leave, 8 public holidays and 12 RDO's so there is not a great deal of difference in the total time on the job.

I dont mean to harp on about this theme, but we live slap bang in the middle of the mining area and on the edge of the gas fields, we have housewives doing jobsharing driving trucks and scrapers on the mine because they cannot get male drivers, they are not just looking for thai or chinese workers they are looking for anyone willing to work,but as someone else mentioned earlier, a young unmarried couple with a couple of kids, can clear 3600dollars a month from social security,and then they get food parcels twice a month ,petrol and clothing vouchers,why go out to work when you can get 900 bucks aweek for staying at home, here endeth the lesson!!

You do not get food parcels or petrol and clothing vouchers in Australia. I think the dole for a single person is around $1,040 per month and that is it. I am not sure what country you are speaking of but it is not Australia. My mum gets $1, 250 on the pension and nothing more.

You do not get food parcels or petrol and clothing vouchers in Australia. I think the dole for a single person is around $1,040 per month and that is it. I am not sure what country you are speaking of but it is not Australia. My mum gets $1, 250 on the pension and nothing more.

Ever since the floods here on the darling downs ,The charity Aussie helpers provides a large parcel of groceries for the princely sum of 5 dollars per person, salvation army issue 20 dollar petrol and and clothing vouchers ,other small charities issue 30 dollar meat and bread vouchers,the dole bludgers know how to work the system, my wife and I are both pensioners when we collect our food parcels a week today I will take a couple of photo,s ,we do not qualify for petrol or meat vouchers because we own our own house, there are many charities here in queensland which support the elderly, and unemployed!!I suggest you check your facts before making rash statements

Ever since the floods here on the darling downs ,The charity Aussie helpers provides a large parcel of groceries for the princely sum of 5 dollars per person, salvation army issue 20 dollar petrol and and clothing vouchers ,other small charities issue 30 dollar meat and bread vouchers,the dole bludgers know how to work the system, my wife and I are both pensioners when we collect our food parcels a week today I will take a couple of photo,s ,we do not qualify for petrol or meat vouchers because we own our own house, there are many charities here in queensland which support the elderly, and unemployed!!I suggest you check your facts before making rash statements

So you are talking about the local Darling Downs area and not Australia as a whole. Something unique to the area provided by local charities and not part of the welfare package provided by the government to all unemployed and pensioners. Didn't the floods finish a couple of years ago. The Darling Downs area is hardly slap bang in the middle of the mining area, it is just a couple of thousand kilometres off centre or about 4 hours flight to W.A

Edited by softgeorge

So you are talking about the local Darling Downs area and not Australia as a whole. Something unique to the area provided by local charities and not part of the welfare package provided by the government to all unemployed and pensioners. Didn't the floods finish a couple of years ago. The Darling Downs area is hardly slap bang in the middle of the mining area, it is just a couple of thousand kilometres off centre or about 4 hours flight to W.A

If you check with aussie helpers website you will see they are trying to help the needy in 4 states not just the darling downs, and by the way the mines especially the new mines who are recruiting here, the first one is 20kms west of toowoomba, in the 350 kms between toowoomba and Roma there are over 30 gasfield construction camps , 10 coalmines opencast and below ground also 7 highway construction camps, most of these have to import workers,through the lack of available australian applicants, I guess our part of the darling downs is slap bang in the middle of a mining area, WA is not the only place in australia where coal is mined, the Reinhardtmining project in WA has not started yet, try telling the 1000,s of families who lost everything in the floods, that everything is as it should be!!

This is, and isn't a total load of <deleted>...

Most FIFO workers only do it for a few years, to build a solid bank balance, and get themselves set up 'back home'... back home for 1/2 of Australia is Sydney and Melbourne...

I know young guys, willing and wanting to get into a job in 'The Mines', but they have no skills, and no knowledge of what they want to do... the days of filling in a form and the company finding a job for you are gone... The company doesn't employ people, a contracting company does... the contracting company employs you on a contract, so they don't supply training, because every 6 months you gt to decide whether to stay or go to the company next door... there isn't a labour shortage in Australia, there is a skills shortage... your average 'dole bludger; doesn't have the skills required by the mines... sure they have some token unskilled jobs for females, driving trucks etc etc... but a bloke with no experience has no shot...

I know older guys, who have done their 3 years FIFO, all are qualified tradesmen, away from their family for 6 months of the year... who are now looking to get back home, but can't afford it, because the cost of living in Sydney, doesn't equate to the pay of a blue collar worker...

Remember, it isn't the 6 weeks (more normal FIFO contract) of 12 hour days that is the killer, it is the 6 weeks full time living on a mine site, away from your family that is the killer... home for 6 weeks, but the kids are at school most of the day, you get to spend 6 weekends with them, but then they don't want to dump their friends and social life just because dad wants to 'catch up' on what he has missed... then you are back on a plane...

Of Gina's 1700 jobs, how many will go to Thai's??? I would hazard a guess it will be exactly NONE... The jobs will be placed through the contractor... the contractor will be a Chinese company, given the contract to appease the end customer, the Chinese Government... they will bring in Chinese labour, use Chinese equipment, ship the products to port in Chinese rail wagons (with maybe a US built locomotive)...

Gina gets rich, Australia gets screwed...

I haven't been a Union Member for 15 years, but the decline in work standards for the average Aussie, since power moved entirely to The Government and Corporations is astounding...

I'll pay $80,000 in tax this year... if I loose my job, I am eligible for $650/fortnight payments (married with 3 young kids).... our mortgage is $2400/month, in a smallish house in a cheap suburb... maybe out in 'the country' families are living high on the hog on welfare payments, but not in Sydney... maybe they get by, but it isn't a life...

• Like 1

Sadly in Australia if you loose your job and move to Centrelink payments many people are forced to sell their homes/enter into bankruptcy. There doesn't seem to be any 'bang for bucks" / recognition of taxes previously paid. e.g. in some European countries you get the equivalent payment fo 75% of monthly salary for up to 9/12 months to assist with the transition to social security payments. You can obtain insurance for loss of employment, with a qualfying period, but there would be limitation on the payments period.

Australian wanted Thai men at work.

Will the Ozzie also take their dependents, i.e. wife and kids to Oz too?

Or just for men only?

If they have a 457 visa can bring dependents, but will have to pay for family medical expenses etc, Cannot obtain a mortgage for buying a property until qualifying for permanent residency

Australian wanted Thai men at work.

Will the Ozzie also take their dependents, i.e. wife and kids to Oz too?

Or just for men only?

If they have a 457 visa can bring dependents, but will have to pay for family medical expenses etc, Cannot obtain a mortgage for buying a property until qualifying for permanent residency

And the workers will be living in camps in an isolated area without the family, so why bother bringing them and having to pay rents also in places like perth defeats the purpose of earning the big money.

It seems that the general opinion seems to be that workers from lets just call them 3rd world countries, asian and european so no particular country is picked, dont match up to the super high class standard of aussie workmanship! well history has a habit of repeating itself, in the early 60,s UK and Germany were at the peak of their industrial boom ,nobody wanted to do the shit jobs,road sweepers ,council labourers, sewage workers even cleaners on the underground, just to name a few jobs, and the term Gastarbeiter,or guestworker was invented ,in italy ,turkey, jugoslavia,spain ,pakistan over 2million workers were recruited by the german and uk govts, to fill vacancies that the brits and germans would not even lower them self to apply for, in berlin alone over 50000turkish workers were recruited, they did not speak german or english some of them were kurds did not even speak turkish, but they did the work and worked dam_n hard too,took nightschool got european trade qualifications,and made the new country their home,they learned to adapt and identify with their new homelands, once you look past all the racism and prejudice out there, its easy to succeed, For 6 years in the late 60,s and early70,s I was one of those guestworkers who adapted in succeeded, and years later was brought to Australia to pass on my knowledge to others!!

So nignoy, let me get this straight!!!

You get food parcels on a regular basis from an Australian Charity. I can remember your posts going back over the past couple years and you get the OAP but you also get a pension from the UK. You and you wife both travel all over the world, you own your own home but here you are getting free food parcels from Charity. How dare you claim other people to be blugers???

There is nothing wrong with the fact you own your own home or that you travel & enjoy your retirement but good people donate funds to Australian Charity's but this is meant for people in need and here you are being so righteous and abusing the system.

I spoke with an old friend of mine last night he is a Police Inspector in the Darling downs and he tells me that there is very little work in the area except for seasonal fruit picking. At least you cant get a petrol voucher because you own your home and you get two pensions. My mind boggles?????????

I had the feeling he was an English Gentleman given that he uses the term "<deleted>"

we have a neighbour who has 3 children 2of them handicapped, her husband did a runner left her in debt she gets very little social support, our 4 food packets a month come in very handy for them,here good neighbours means just that,

we have a neighbour who has 3 children 2of them handicapped, her husband did a runner left her in debt she gets very little social support, our 4 food packets a month come in very handy for them,here good neighbours means just that,

Sorry for the delay but I have been out shopping all day. I have to get a new hearing aid, someone told me you can get them now & they filter out the Bullshit and lies but not available in Thailand yet.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what the unions in Australia say about this.ermm.gif

What can the unions say!! plenty of building work here on the darling downs,60,000 men under the age of 45 on the dole, but most of them not interested in work of any type, the gasfields here are screaming out for workers , great pay, but the agencies are having to bring in workers from england ,ireland and germany,

Yes thats EXACTLY the problem in Australia - a mate of mine has a daughter who has 1 young son - she desperately WANTS to work as she is bored senseless by staying at home - she is well educated ...when she went to Centrelink to ask about a job, they told her not to even think about it - and said just go home and look after your son -we will pay you $1000 a week anyway, so you dont need to worry! Not kidding, thats what she was told...

The end result is that this sort of attitude pervades Australian society, and the school leavers and others now couldnt be bothered to get a real job when they get money from the government, and even those who WANT to work are turned away!

So.....

Australia has to bring in overseas labour to make up for the useless mob they have sitting on their <deleted> collecting the dole for NOTHING....

Thats why there're so many yobos and dole bludgers,

Saw an interview with Andrew Forest, the chairman of Fortescue Metals and he was saying that they get more applications from Aussies than there are jobs. He says there just aren't enough jobs in mining for the number of people seeking work in the Industry.

The food would not be a problem if they all learn to like lamb. wink.png

I really have no idea why everyone thinks Australia is the land of sheep - NEW ZEALAND is full of the bloody things - Australia has a lot of beef cattle and SHEDLOADS of bloody 'roos...NOT that many sheep... we do have SOME sheep.

In Australia its the Kiwis who are known as the sheep-shaggers!

australia has 115m sheep , second in the world only to china ! , ............so pot/kettle/black are 3 words that spring to mind !

i can see the same thing happening in Oz as has happened in the U.K,.......Right under the noses of the ignorant MPs,........we now have the situation of migrant workers living maybe 10+ in 1 house , sharing all the costs that is usually paid by a married couple of born and bred Brits with a few kids and expecting them to work for the same wages , i was paid £12-15 ph 6 yrs ago in the UK , Now the east europeans do it for £6-8 ph , making impossible for mr and mrs smith to find jobs to pay their mortgage,.......but nobody seems to be aware of this , least of all the politicians that created the situation, .......oh, and as for health and safety ........if you cant read english how can you read a fire drill etc etc ???? !