Police Not Happy Following Last Weekend’S Pattaya International Music Festival

Rimmer

Police not happy following last weekend’s Pattaya International Music Festival

PATTAYA:--A meeting to discuss the security arrangements at the Pattaya International Music Festival and how effective they were, was held at Pattaya City Hall on Thursday.

Khun Itipon, the Mayor of Pattaya and Police Major General Jamnong, Chonburi Provincial Police Commander led the meeting of government officers and Police and it was reported that local Police Divisions were not happy with the lack of communication between Police and City Hall. Police were concerned at the major traffic congestion problems reported throughout the Pattaya area and want to ensure that any future festivals are organized better with more Police on-duty and more preparation meetings between Police and the organizers.

In this instance the GMM-Grammy Company are also being blamed for lack of communication.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/54355/police-happy-weekends-pattaya-international-music-festival/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-05-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The Police rent the left lane of Beach Rd. to private businesses/motorbike rentals.

City Hall rented out the right lane to vendor tents.

Only one lane left open for the years biggest event?

Somethings wrong.

We all know the problems start when the police take over the control of the traffic lights in Pattaya Klang (as happens every weekend)

last week they had the traffic backed up as far as 300 meters along the 7 road.............

As far as Beach Road is concerned ....

Either pedestrianise it at festival times.... or maybe it would be best to stop private cars using it .... just leave it for the baht bus and motor cycle taxis to fight it out with the coaches and traders vehicles

Free Tip No.1

Have big signs before Dolphin Roundabout (say at Sukhumvit near North Pattaya Rd and also all along North Pattaya Rd and Naklua Rd) warning motorists of part closure on Beach Rd and therefore to use alternate routes.

As for police being unhappy, does anyone care?

Edited by doggie888888
  • Like 2

pedestrianise it at festival times....

Makes sense to me. It should be combined with banning all parking along Beach Rd at all times, including the vehicle rental places.

Personally I would also ban all private cars and large buses inside 3rd Rd at all times, or charge them 2000B to enter the area.

pedestrianise it at festival times....

Makes sense to me. It should be combined with banning all parking along Beach Rd at all times, including the vehicle rental places.

Personally I would also ban all private cars and large buses inside 3rd Rd at all times, or charge them 2000B to enter the area.

As I would expect from a Cheap Charlie non car owner. What should those car owners living inside your exclusion zone do?

Hey lets Ban Baht Busses from the area instead then loads of room for us car drivers.

• Like 2

Either pedestrianise it at festival times.... or maybe it would be best to stop private cars using it .... just leave it for the baht bus and motor cycle taxis to fight it out with the coaches and traders vehicles

Yes !

I'd pedestrianise it at all times - bl00dy great idea.

What should those car owners living inside your exclusion zone do?

Move? Failing that they could have a system of stickers for residents to allow access.

Hey lets Ban Baht Busses from the area instead then loads of room for us car drivers.

Bahtbuses usually carry many people whereas cars usually carry very few. Also anyone with 10B can get on a bahtbus but only the car owner/driver can use a car.

Hence it makes more sense to allow the bahtbuses and to limit the cars.

Further to my Pattaya Klang observation...

I came down Klang at 2-15 pm today

No police on duty....traffic running without any problems at both sets of lights..."and all was well with the world"

Maybe they are getting the message (or NOT)

Concert was over at midnight on Sunday, yet they were still dismantling the tents at 3 PM on Monday. Take some of the money raised by renting the space to the vendors and use it to take down the tents DURING the night after the show is over and the street is closed DUH

How come they can set it up in a few hours but takes a whole day to take it down, massive FAIL by City Hall (Again)

Edited by Langsuan Man

Police were concerned at the major traffic congestion problems reported throughout the Pattaya area

They still don't get it that they are the one and only creating the traffic congestion with their un-organised and un-announced detours?

Like where they close the entrance to main roads,but you will only find out when you arrive at the intersection,creating a lot of traffic congestion by the cars that have to mix in with traffic flow again.

Or the traffic on south Pattaya road towards sukhumvith that is directed left into the slums just ahead of Seat Boat,congesting those small soi's just big enough for one way traffic,but leaving the traject from Seat Boat to Sukhumvith empty while at the intersection with Sukhumvith there is a police force waiting to direct all traffic Northwards.

Or changing the traffic light cycles to 20 minutes creating a traffic jam so long at each side that traffic in the side soi's is blocked as well.

They should change their name from BIB to MIB ( Morons in brown)

The ONLY times I ever see traffic in Thailand is due to an accident or if the police are trying to control the flow of traffic.

Face it, they are poorly trained police. Many buy their way onto the force. Considering Thai schools fail at every other subject, traffic flow is no exception. If they even have such a class for police here.

I can't believe the police were concerned in the slightest. Perhaps the police commander was voicing his concern over a few issues at a meeting, but that's about it... and the concern was probably only about his hurt ego because City Hall weren't giving him the respect he thought he deserved.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

I can't believe the police were concerned in the slightest. Perhaps the police commander was voicing his concern over a few issues at a meeting, but that's about it... and the concern was probably only about his hurt ego because City Hall weren't giving him the respect he thought he deserved.

More likely they were miffed that they didn't get their cut of the graft paid to have the event in Pattaya

More likely they were miffed that they didn't get their cut of the graft paid to have the event in Pattaya

Like the concern they show for the safety of foreigners when they're being hit up for riding bikes without helmets. They're never quite so concerned about the safety of Thais.

Why complain about traffic and safety?

I know that PMF is a mess; traffic and safety wise.

I drove down from Bang Saen avoided Central Pattaya and went to Jomtien for a meal and an evening out.

Yes, had to take a detour around Sukhumvit and the By-Pass, but the few extra km's saved me probably an hour or more.

The fact that the BiB were unhappy, was most likely due to the fact that the traffic was so horrendous, that there was no time to stop traffic-culprits, because there was nothing to culprit and that at the end of an expensive month.

Edited by saengsureeya

Traffic in Pattaya is always a minor mess. Then there occurs some "event" and turns in into a major mess. And because Pattaya is in Thailand, and seems to be one of the most corrupt cities in Thailand, it will never be fixed.

Let's face it. If Pattaya were a city in USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan, Korea, Singapore, and a few select other locales, there would be a constant series of buses starting from the south end of Jomtien Beach Road and heading north along Jomtien Beach Road, on to Thap Phraya into Pattaya, then north along Pattaya Second Road, continuing north into Naklua. Then turn around and head south from Naklua onto Pattaya Beach Road, south on Thap Phraya, south on Jomtien Beach Road. Using the "short" smaller buses would allow more of them, more frequently, and easier to handle on the poor roads.

But of course, we know that this will never happen and we know why. The same reason that such bus systems do not exist in Phuket or Chiang Mai. The mobs of baht-bus/tuk-tuk drivers will not permit it to happen. They will blockade roads, assault bus drivers, etc, etc. And since they pay-off the SIB (Simians in Brown), nothing will be done about it. Perhaps in about another 50 years, things will change. Possibly.

It would help if the BIB moved the illegally parked rental bikes from Beach Road . City Hall passed a by-law a couple of years age banning rental bikes from Beach road from 4PM Friday to Monday. It was only enforced for a few weeks and then forgotten.

Surely the Mayor, one of his family or buddies has land out of town that could be used as a festival site. Surely for a sufficient amount of the folding stuff land could be rented. Think Glastonbury or Woodstock. Why should the entire city and its residents have to needlessly suffer to satisfy those without sophisticated musical tastes?

International Music Festival? Hmm. Groups from where? Come to that, how many came from overseas to attend?