Innovative Thai Advertising With A Risk Of Losing Your Bank Card

In comparison with banks overseas, I actually think that Thai banks do a pretty good job.

Last time I was in Oz, as far as I recall, there was no banking on Sunday.

Daily banking hours here in Bangkok are usually from about 10am till around 7pm or even later, seven days a week.

There were no Cash Deposit Machines in Sydney, and bank charges were not particularly cheap.

Yes, there will be times when something goes wrong, but generally, I find issues can be resolved fairly quickly and relatively painlessly here, compared with overseas banking corporations.

The advertising at ATMs seems to only happen at one or two banks, not all, so I dont think its a big issue.

To say that having to press "yes" or "no" or whatever, to get the card back makes it likely that you will forget the card is simply silly - when using ANY ATM, you have to be mindful of things like people watching, and you have to make sure you take the money - AND you have to make sure you get your card - if you leave it, thats not the banks fault, its your responsibility to get it back unless the ATM will not give it back, but that is not the case here.

Edited by Greer

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just one bank? If so which please? Or is it all of them?

If it is one bank I for one will not use their ATM in future. Getting a new card here is just too diffficult to risk losing it!!!

its very easy to get a replacement card if you go straight to your bank where account is held.took me 30minutes max.i had left my card in another ATM machine the night before.

Ditto. I had to replace a SCB card. Piece of cake, but cost 200 baht.

I have a card issued by Ayudhya that cost 400 baht.

Sounds expensive but you can use any ATM from any bank throughout Thailand and there are no charges (normally 30 baht) deducted.

(Don't think it can be used to get cash from a foreign bank for free though).

Might not be breaking news but as a tourist it's nice to know.

Now i learnt how yes and no looks like in Thai so i know which button to press :D

quote//In Thailand you normally first get your receipt, then your money and only then your bank card. Not smart, because people may forget their cards after taking their money, but that’s a different story.//

unquote

I dont believe this is true at all. First you´ll get your money, secondly you get your receipt and finally you get your credit/bankcard. At least this is what happens when you draw money from ATM belonging to: Kasikorn Bank, Khrung Thai bank and Siam....

Glegolo

• Like 1

Many Thai ATMs have an "English" option button, however using this the machine often gets stuck in a loop, you press buttons and eventually end up back where you started, press cancel and get your card back. Now I just use the quick cash option in Thai. Back in England as an experiment I have used my Thai card without any problems, both at ATMs and Checkouts in supermarkets (POS).

Incidentally I could never forget my card, I keep it in my wallet which I hold open during the transaction, so I naturally retrieve the card and close my wallet before returning it to my pocket. I assume those who forget their card are just carrying it loose in a shirt pocket or suchlike.

By the way, in Villa Sukhumvit 11 about a week ago, I found a black Standard Chartered Mastercard ATM card left in the slot. I handed it to the staff who put it in their drawer in case you are reading this. Farang name that I have now forgotten.

One thing of note...the owner hadn't completed his transaction. When I went to the ATM, it was showing a healthy balance with an option to press yes/no for another transaction...

Guys and Gals..be more careful. Lucky I found it - but it might have been another story with someone less ethical.

I guess in your excitement you didn't even notice that mugged farang lying near the ATM, bleeding all over the sidewalk. sad.png

Well now , was'nt that nice of George, a Thai farang resident, to say such nice things about our Samui, he is obviously a family man. Thank you George, its a refreshing change to see someone not saying that its a dead hole, not enough lady bars etc.

I am on the beach most days at Maenam and often reflect what a beautiful place it is here, and i come from Queenslands Sunshine Coast.

Good luck George and may there be "many happy returns"

Same happened to me at a Kasikorn ATM yesterday. The atm asked something about Angry Bird in Thai and with two alternative both in thai sign language. I just press cancel to get my card back, since I did not know what the machine was asking me.

The headline of this thread says "Innovative Thai Advertising With A Risk Of Losing Your Bank Card". I don't see how you could lose your bank card though? It seems like if you just answer the question your card comes straight out. Or if you wait for a while and don't answer the question, does your card get kept by the ATM?

Yes but having to wait a while can be disastrous for us sufferers of "Oldzeimers" i too have walked away forgetting the 'not yet returned card' sad.png your turn will come clap2.gif

If it is one bank I for one will not use their ATM in future. Getting a new card here is just too diffficult to risk losing it!!!

its very easy to get a replacement card if you go straight to your bank where account is held.took me 30minutes max.i had left my card in another ATM machine the night before.

Some of us have cards from our home countries, mine is with Commonwealth Bank of Australia and i lost my card (think i forgot to retrieve it) not so long ago, and it caused me all sorts of trouble.

By the way, in Villa Sukhumvit 11 about a week ago, I found a black Standard Chartered Mastercard ATM card left in the slot. I handed it to the staff who put it in their drawer in case you are reading this. Farang name that I have now forgotten.

One thing of note...the owner hadn't completed his transaction. When I went to the ATM, it was showing a healthy balance with an option to press yes/no for another transaction...

Guys and Gals..be more careful. Lucky I found it - but it might have been another story with someone less ethical.

I guess in your excitement you didn't even notice that mugged farang lying near the ATM, bleeding all over the sidewalk. sad.png

Yes...spotted him...nearly tripped over him in fact. But the mugger was a mug by not looking at the ATM that was displaying the farang's 'very healthy' bank balance w00t.gif , with card still in the machine waiting for him to make another transaction. I would just hope that if I was ever that careless that someone would do the right thing, too. I do believe in karma wai.gif

• Like 1

You can always ask some dougee looking Thai that hangs around the ATM for some helpwhistling.gif

I suppose "dougee" is meant to be "dodgy" or some other randomly misspelled insult aimed at the general Thai population.

Just amazing how "dougee" some of the TV rants are.

Push the cancel button on the ATM and move on. It you can't cope with advertising and technology without setting off world-wide Interpol alerts, is it any wonder Thai people are less than impressed by the average farang.

Yes mate........Mai pen lai, the way to go ! wai.gif

Answering a idiotic question to get your card back, I do not really understand, but does it lower the transfer fee you pay to exchange your money into baht, when using the d_amn ATM? I was charged over 250 Thai baht the other week, when it was Songkhran long weekend, when all other ATM's were out of money all together.I don't remember the name of the machine branch but it was a totally BS ripoff, but needed the money.w00t.gif

Edited by PingManDan

Puyai Baan Thanks I agree with everything you say, Its ridiculous giving the ATM card after the cash, and now making you click on screen and forcing you to look at advertising... crazy. and annoying.

The worse ATMs are Siam Commercial, you have to Click English on 4 different pages before you finally get English!? - the worse example of programming ever. and often it takes you back to the language selection more than once. its infuriating. Then you have the 150 baht Tourist RIP OFF charge, 150 baht is a day salary for a Thai worker up north,

150 Baht for 1 ATM transaction is just a blatant RIP !

Well now , was'nt that nice of George, a Thai farang resident, to say such nice things about our Samui, he is obviously a family man. Thank you George, its a refreshing change to see someone not saying that its a dead hole, not enough lady bars etc.

I am on the beach most days at Maenam and often reflect what a beautiful place it is here, and i come from Queenslands Sunshine Coast.

Good luck George and may there be "many happy returns"

I thought he was warning people not to go there if they wanted some thing out side of

"Koh Samui with my family, one of my favorite tropical islands. The place has everything: from unspoiled beaches and endless coconut plantations, to high-end dining and a good night life.giggle.gif

Funny he and no one after him mentioned who the ATM machine was owned by.cheesy.gif

The headline of this thread says "Innovative Thai Advertising With A Risk Of Losing Your Bank Card". I don't see how you could lose your bank card though? It seems like if you just answer the question your card comes straight out. Or if you wait for a while and don't answer the question, does your card get kept by the ATM?

don't be simple: this is highly unethical! Bank ATM's are not there to disturb customers with this kind of stupid questions. It's despicable and disgusting! What a low key practise is his!

• Like 2

"In Thailand you normally first get your receipt, then your money and only then your bank card."....This is my first post so please bear with me if I am not familiar with the way of doing it...... I just thought the the quote above by Puaiy (forgive me if I did not spell the name correctly) was never my experience and I have lived in this lovely country for 10 years now. I also checked with my Thai wife and she agrees with me (Of course she would...I hear you say). But anyway, it has always been my experience that getting the receipt has been the LAST transaction, not the FIRST. It comes if I answer "Yes" to the question "Do you require a receipt? or words to that effect and you are given the option of answering "Yes" or No". I noticed there was no comment on this by other members and am wondering if ATMs operate differently in different parts of the country. I live in Chonburi?

Thanking you all.

• Like 1

This increases the risk to forget the card, i can't call this innovative.

the other story, that the card should be released first, before the money, shows probably that the bank rather want to make some money by issuing a new one for a fee than have it user friendly as priority.

another topic is the order at the start, when you type in the pin number, in the Philippines it's much advanced that it's the last step after choosing what you want the ATM to do and choose the amount, this minimizes the risk that a robber pushes you away from the machine as soon as you entered the pin code and have access to your account, very smart.

Lost my card a few years ago...

Nothing to do with advertising, simply here in the UK you get your card back first, then your money then the receipt if you choose the option for a receipt, so when you get your money back first it is easy to forget your card.

of course I remembered my card (debit) two minutes later, ran back to the ATM but no card, as it was Sunday the bank was closed so spent 2 hours on the phone canceling my card and spent the remainder of my holiday living off my Credit Card and paying extra charges.

Edited by Basil B

<deleted> - under what drunken/alzheimer's-wrecked or other depleted brain-state is it EVER 'easy to forget your card' ! Not in a million years. And as for the receipt always coming out first, then the money, 'here in Thailand' - rubbish: in my town it is always Money / Card / Receipt if they haven't run out of paper. TV short of a headline ?

This is literally in your face advertising and I believe the banks are working on the assumption that most customers will press the yes; I did like the advertising -. button, just for an easy life in fear that if they press no, the ATM will swallow the card.

Of course this is just another under handed exercise that will give the banks an excuse to spread this nationally as they will claim that the customers in favour of this sort of advertising was overwhelming.

Just another underhanded profit making scheme by the scheming banks and in the foreseeable future everyone should expect to see this form of advertising on all the ATMs wherever you maybe. Surprise, bladdy surprise.

ATMs in Thailand run on WINDOWS SOFTWARE!!! REALLY>...... No joke!!!! I was in the middle or withrawing 20,000 and the machine blacked out. When it came back online i could see windows xp start up screen coming and then see the windows desktop on the screen. Eventually i got my card back but the money was gone. A visit to Bangkok bank and filling out a form got my money back a week later. But be warned... why the heck would you run ATM on windows? Im not surprised the ATMS is thialand are constantly being hacked and people lost their money!!!!!m Windows is the worlds worst unsecure operating system why run it in the ATMS!!

Edited by BuffaloRescue

Getting a new card here is very simple indeed and much easier than the UK. I get a new card recently and it took about 2-3 mins. In the UK it would have taken 3-5 days. What do you find so difficult about getting a new card? It is probably the easiest thing to get done here. Maybe you need to change banks. Try Bangkok Bank. I have always had great service for everything I've needed. And all in a few minutes.

I believe the banks are working on the assumption that most customers will press the yes; I did like the advertising -. button, just for an easy life in fear that if they press no, the ATM will swallow the card.

Well if the banks are thinking that then they're crazy - no-one in their right mind would actually think the ATM will keep their card if they press no.

usually at bangkok bank ATM machines,firstly the money comes out,then the machine asks you if you want a receipt,so you press yes or no and the card appears again and you take it.

I agree; was going to make a post until I saw yours SBC. For info, we don't have any of this up-country yet, but that is normal as it takes about 6 months for things happening in the "real" world to filter through. That said, I still don't understand the OP, which shows a Bangkok Bank ATM.

" In Thailand you normally first get your receipt, then your money and only then your bank card". Never seen this.

Quote OP: In Thailand you normally first get your receipt, then your money and only then your bank card"

In Thailand you normally first get your money, then a screen-display with a receipt and the question whether it should be printed.

If you push "YES" your bankcard will pop-out followed by the receipt.

If you push "NO" your bankcard will bankcard will pop-out right away.

Don't know about the advertising afterwards, most Kasikorn-ATM's do have advertising playing until you pop-in your bankcard.

I believe the banks are working on the assumption that most customers will press the yes; I did like the advertising -. button, just for an easy life in fear that if they press no, the ATM will swallow the card.

Well if the banks are thinking that then they're crazy - no-one in their right mind would actually think the ATM will keep their card if they press no.

You would be surprised.

You maybe a man of the world and not fooled easily but there are plenty out there that would hesitate to push that no button and this is what the banks, are banking on.