Weekend And Midweek Competitions

Rsquared

I have now lived in Thailand for over 12 months and I must say one thing that I really do miss is regular weekend and midweek club competitions.

I find when I play in the "comp" I tend to concentrate more and enjoy the game more, always trying to improve my game and of course lowering my handicap.

There are many wonderful courses in Thailand, my nearest one is Dragon Hills (55min drive)....(yes I live out in the sticks) and have just got a 1 year membership for 6,000 Baht there.

I just find it unusual that with so many courses and players here that there are no club competitions.

Is there a simple explanation for this ie. no-one is interested, there is no formal Golf Association in Thailand, tourism is more important, it is a "rich mans sport"?

Does anybody know the reason?

Cheers

Rsquared

Hi Rsquared there are no true golf clubs as such in Thailand

there are only self organised members groups, bar organised golf and things like the PSC in Pattaya

the golf courses are just there to make money up to whoever to organise competitions and the like

many people just come here to play holiday golf not true golf in line with R&A rules and standards

Rsquared,

I feel your pain - I had exactly the same feeling when I arrived in Thailand. The key to this pain is to host the community yourself. What I mean is you will have to be the driving force rather than expecting someone else to pull the weight.

I advise you to simply start organizing these local weekend tournaments yourself. As someone else mentioned, there are plenty of these tournaments and social groups in Bangkok and Pattaya. Typically they started as small groups of people who regularly met in a bar or similar. In Bangkok there are pubs where you'd be able to meet hundreds of golfers. Some of them play for fun, while others are very competitive. The latter usually have a number of very competent golfers with hcp's ranging from scratch to lower single digits, like the backtee boys where they sometimes have players that are pro's.

In your case you'll have to be the person who is the founder of such a group. The only other solution is that you start playing the wide range of amateur tournaments around Thailand, but then you would have to travel. I'm sure though that you'll be able to connect with players of similar competitive mindset.

You mentioned that there is no formal golf association in Thailand, but there is of course such organisation. http://www.tga.or.th/

Good luck.

Hey many thanks Jing-jo and Forethat.

I had a feeling that that would be the case. I was confused reading other threads about members talking about their handicaps and couldn't figure out how they could acquire them here in Thailand without competitions as I've mentioned before.

I live in a small village called Pong Krating and my nearest course is Dragon Hills, followed by Royal Ratchaburi.

Once again thanks guys you have given me something to follow-up.

Ok, well rthere are a number of societies that play Golf in Thailand, The Londoners, Wanderers, Lighthouse, all play weekends, midweek golf, look for the IGST2, play every Wednesday a good number of scratch golfers. If you really are looking for proper competion, search for the backtboys - seriously good golfers (In all of these, google is your friend!)

Ok, well rthere are a number of societies that play Golf in Thailand, The Londoners, Wanderers, Lighthouse, all play weekends, midweek golf, look for the IGST2, play every Wednesday a good number of scratch golfers. If you really are looking for proper competion, search for the backtboys - seriously good golfers (In all of these, google is your friend!)

Thanks ...rabbits, but as mentioned previously, I will have to travel as I do prefer to play off the back tees, gives a true feeling of the designer's wicked sense of humour.

We have an expat golf society at battle horse golf course in Phetchabun. we play a competition every friday and every last friday of the month we have texas scramble. we do get handicaps from those fridays, even though they are as unofficial as they can be :). We also have a facebook page. if you want to play sometime, go to our fb page or send me a pm. we are also interested in getting to know golf societies in Nakon Sawan, Phitsanulok and other places in Mid-North Thailand for friendly competition. Our Hp's range from 6 to 24.

Cheers, chris

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...