Open University Degree - Getting Tired Of The Questions

I have had at least 4 interviews for teaching positions that have gone very well - and then I am asked to show my qualifications/resume etc.

Inevitiably when I produce my Bachelors degree certificate ( OU ) I am asked ' what is the Open University?'

I explain as best I can and then I am asked ' Is it an Internet Univeristy?' rolleyes.gif

As the eyes narrow I try and continue, saying it is a top 40 UK University, the largest in Europe and is listed in the top 500 Universities in the world by the Academic ranking of Universities.

A room full of American teachers denied ever hearing of it, this made the Thai interviewer more suspicious, I explained it was one of only 3 UK universities accredited in the USA

by the Middle states Commission on higher education. This gets more blank stares.

I then explain that it is recognised by the MOE in Thailand and please can the interviewer call them and call the OU to check my credentials.

The degree took 6 years of part time study, including numerous week long summer course, monthly assignments, year end exams at Oxford University exam halls.

I was bloody proud of this achievement but why should I need to explain the Open University's existence at these interviews?

I believe the OU even exists in Thailand as part of Ramkhamheng University (sp )

Any tips on what I should be saying to attain some kind of reasonable response in kind?

Edited by Scott
formatting

No views..awesome wink.png

Does anyone have a link ( if one exists ) to the list of Universities accredited by the Thai MOE ?

There was one a couple of weeks ago at the website of the Office of the Civil Service Commission. The OCSC is mentioned in the TCT provisional teaching permit document.

http://www.ksp.or.th...ng permit 3.pdf

However, the link is dead now.

Anyways, here it is if it comes online again.

http://www.ocsc.go.t...ryID=CAT0001534

Can't help you any further at this point of time.

Here's a link to a discussion about degree verification.

thailandteaching.asia/teacher-licensing-tct/11214-tct-provisional-teaching-permit-waiver-requirements-1-february-2012-a.html

Have some patience smile.png not that many people visit this forum.

I think your degree is a great achievement and I feel your pain, but I really don't know how to deal with this... I can see how most Thais will not have heard of the Open Uni or understand the concept. As for the Americans, for most of them any non-US degree is not a real degree...! so no surprise there either.

Thanks Guys :)

I'm just looking for a way to help them recognise it without sounding too shirty.

I could bring a load of printed bumpf and have it at the ready but that may seem a bit desperate whistling.gif

Peanut, I think you are being a little critical of Americans. There are some very well known, respected universities worldwide and anybody with an education is aware of this.

The people involved in the interview were being arrogant. You went through University, you have a degree, you've paid your dues. Unless your teaching nuclear physics, where you went to school is of less importance than the fact that you did go to school.

It may be of little consolation, but this group doesn't sound like the type of people for whom I would like to work.

It's annoying to be put on trial by the ignorant, but maybe you have to be prepared for insularity, even among people who ought to know better, especially if they've got something you want.

The Wikipedia article on the Open University has some very good information. Perhaps some extracts from that or something similar in bold, large font and colour may sway your skeptical inquisitors.

dry.png

An interesting matter, I presume that we are talking about the, ''O.U.'' which was and still is as far as I know in Milton Keynes in the U.K. The O.U. was.established in1969 and came on line so to speak in 1971. I was actually like my wife born in the area so it was , ''home ground'' to us

My late wife was a''lecturer'' from 1974 until her untimely death in 1978 and indeed the reputation is first class,no one should sneer at the degrees and it is indeed sad that people who one presumes to be erudite are totally unaware of the O.U.

Small minded self protecting interviewers methinks so afraid of someone with knowledge is coming aboard and rocking their boat..

Keep at it Chonabot , you'll win through.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

As far as U.S. teachers knowing about UKuniversities and the Middle States Commission on higher education, can you blame them? The Middle States Commission only regulates schools in 6 of the 50 states. How would they know? You would get the same look if you asked them what a GCSE is? I would say 99% of American's have no clue what a GCSE is as much as most UK folks don't know what a GED is. It's the UK educational system. I've never heard of OU either.

For graduate students who study at Payap they have to get a letter from the embassy from the country the school is located. Maybe you can get the UK embassy to write a letter saying it is an official degree equal to any other university in the UK.

• Like 1

As far as U.S. teachers knowing about UKuniversities and the Middle States Commission on higher education, can you blame them? The Middle States Commission only regulates schools in 6 of the 50 states. How would they know? You would get the same look if you asked them what a GCSE is? I would say 99% of American's have no clue what a GCSE is as much as most UK folks don't know what a GED is. It's the UK educational system. I've never heard of OU either.

For graduate students who study at Payap they have to get a letter from the embassy from the country the school is located. Maybe you can get the UK embassy to write a letter saying it is an official degree equal to any other university in the UK.

If you have never heard of the concept of the Open University, maybe now is the time to "google" your knowledge.

Oh, and yes, I understand you can buy degrees in the US?

It's annoying to be put on trial by the ignorant, but maybe you have to be prepared for insularity, even among people who ought to know better, especially if they've got something you want.

The Wikipedia article on the Open University has some very good information. Perhaps some extracts from that or something similar in bold, large font and colour may sway your skeptical inquisitors.

dry.png

+1

chonabot, I was originally from the US, but even so, I'm aware of OU. So, congrats on earning your degree. Perhaps the Americans in your interviews made the unfortunate jump from OU to "open learning" which is an unfortunate phrase describing the many on-line diploma mills in the States. I got my undergrad degree part-time nights and weekends over a lot of years, and still think that working whilst going to school is the best way to go, albeit the hardest.

I've got to agree with Xangsamhua. A judicious cut and paste on the Wiki article, then highlighting, enlarging, and colouring in the appropriate bits, should give you a factual, educational, and entertaining handout for your interviewers. Besides (and I'm not Thai-bashing), the Thais I know enjoy a bit of colour on their documents!

• Like 1

When I had my interview for my current job, the Thai interviewer was examining all my credentials and paperwork very closely.

After the interview, I was offered a position. I was surprised because I felt that it wasn't going to get the job.

As time goes on, I would later discover that her previous 2 hires were con artists using false visa's not being able to produce the

required documentation. I suspect that the woman who hired me didn't want make it 3 in a row.

Have you had any success yet? What kind of position are you looking for?

I already have another position - this school checked with the MOE about the OU degree whilst I was being interviewed.

After posting here I emailed the school a lot of info about the OU plus various links - I then called the headteacher who told me not

to take his comments so seriously and he would be in touch next week - rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all of your comments !

Edited by chonabot

Have you had any success yet? What kind of position are you looking for?

I already have another position - this school checked with the MOE about the OU degree whilst I was being interviewed.

After posting here I emailed the school a lot of info about the OU plus various links - I then called the headteacher who told me not

to take his comments so seriously and he would be in touch next week - rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all of your comments !

Please PM me.

I did an OU degree and our school is looking for teachers to start in August.

Thanks.