A Walk Down Memory Lane

JurgenG

I know mods don't like when we revive old threads but I just realized the oldest threads date from 2002, just 10 years ago. Wouldn't it be interesting if we can compare what was of interest then and how relevant it is today ?

We can just insert a link to the old thread with a comment, would it be ok ?

It would be interesting to compare opinions of a person from 2002 and today.

I wish I could know cause of death, not to be morbid or anything like that, but to see if the pattern followed expected results.

Impossible to determine, but it would be a treasure chest of data that could prove or disprove the various conspiracy theoies about foreigners being targeted for death by black widow types. To date, most of the deaths of members in TVF that have been reported aredue to vehicle crashes, or old age or illness such as heart disease or cancer. I often wonder if my gut feeling that expats are more likely to die young in Thailand due to lifestyle choices is valid. As well, it would be fascinating to see if those members from 2002 had realized their dreams and desires. How did their kids turn out? Are they still with the missus, do they have any regrets etc.?

I wish I could know cause of death, not to be morbid or anything like that, but to see if the pattern followed expected results.

Impossible to determine, but it would be a treasure chest of data that could prove or disprove the various conspiracy theoies about foreigners being targeted for death by black widow types. To date, most of the deaths of members in TVF that have been reported aredue to vehicle crashes, or old age or illness such as heart disease or cancer. I often wonder if my gut feeling that expats are more likely to die young in Thailand due to lifestyle choices is valid. As well, it would be fascinating to see if those members from 2002 had realized their dreams and desires. How did their kids turn out? Are they still with the missus, do they have any regrets etc.?

How do you know when someone dies? Unless someone posts on behalf of them or they know other TV members in real life... No one from the forum will actually know.

it would be fascinating to see if those members from 2002 had realized their dreams and desires. How did their kids turn out? Are they still with the missus, do they have any regrets etc.?

Or did they get that pension increase..rolleyes.gif

Some of the stones which compose that memory lane can be found in two recent threads ...

http://www.thaivisa....er-on-thaivisa/

and

http://www.thaivisa....en-on-thaivisa/

But what I don't understand is why did you post in the Thailand Travel Forum ?

Looks liked it got moved.

These threads didn't last very long and went quickly off topic.

Bad omen for this one sad.png

But the idea is not to list the best threads of the past 10 years. But to check what was the people thinking of Thailand 10 years ago and what was their prediction for the future, especially for the next ten years. Were they right ? What happened since that wasn't expected.

Edited by JurgenG

Some of the stones which compose that memory lane can be found in two recent threads ...

http://www.thaivisa....er-on-thaivisa/

and

http://www.thaivisa....en-on-thaivisa/

But what I don't understand is why did you post in the Thailand Travel Forum ?

Looks liked it got moved.

These threads didn't last very long and went quickly off topic.

Bad omen for this one sad.png

But the idea is not to list the best threads of the past 10 years. But to check what was the people thinking of Thailand 10 years ago and what was their prediction for the future, especially for the next ten years. Were they right ? What happened since that wasn't expected.

Fair comment.

I was hoping to prod a few of the members who were here is the 'good ole' days' to remember and contribute.

Good luck with this and not I have to be dust because I am only a 2 year old and not the decade that you seek.

unfortunately the search function is so crap, i cant find what must be the funniest post i have ever read though i have tried many times.

just tried again, cant even get it to give me a single result.

Edited by nocturn

i have read Thai Visa since 2004 and the most obvious change has been the shift of the forum going to a "I date only educated financially secure Thai women" mentality. Just 8 years ago the forum was definitely more along the lines of "Give me a cold beer and a nice simple girl". I guess the demographic of farang living in Thailand has changed very much since then. Now almost every "relationship" topic on Thai Visa gives a very negative perception towards those who are supporting or marrying someone from the "lower classes".

I was checking the earliest thread in the "news" forum and the first difference you notice right away is most of the thread have very few replies. But one got an impressive 25 replies http://www.thaivisa....nd/page__st__25

From the subject you realize that at least a few things haven't changed much for the last 10 years.

Edited by JurgenG

unfortunately the search function is so crap, i cant find what must be the funniest post i have ever read though i have tried many times.

Pity you werent looking for the biggest troll post of all time...suspect you own post would be pretty easy to find..whistling.gif

How do you know when someone dies? Unless someone posts on behalf of them or they know other TV members in real life... No one from the forum will actually know.

There is a Memorial thread pinned in the Chiang Mai forum, started by Gonzo the Face. The most recent departure was Blinky Bill, who was well known in CM and here on Thaivisa. BB was killed in a light aeroplane crash while working as an Aerial photographer in Indonesian Borneo I believe.

Many members have links to each other if not in real life, then through vehicles such as Facebook, so any passing would normally be picked up. When you read through the thread the majority of passings are through illness and accidents, there are very few which have any sinister undertones.

Some urban myths just can't be beat, and on the odd occasion that there is a suspicious death ( or quite frankly an out and out murder ) then it is seized upon by some that behind every demure Thai female smile there is a serial killer waiting to break out.

BS.

There used to be a section for "In Memoriam", which I can no longer find. And yes many members do post when someone who they know dies.

For example; Still Paul, quite literally, kept wheeling and dealing. He found a group that owned a number of property developments that had failed, one of them right next to the airport. A deal and line of townhouses were cobbled together to make classrooms and the newly christened Lanna International School was set to open. Paul, extremely stressed and in failing health, returned to Minnesota to raise more funds

Your criticism that there is not enough data is valid, and that was my point when I wrote "I wish I could know cause of death, not to be morbid or anything like that, but to see if the pattern followed expected results. Impossible to determine, but it would be a treasure chest of data."

A trip down memory lane for someone with health issues is interesting from my perspective as it gives insight into the state of healthcare in Thailand. For example, was the quality of healthcare obtained 10 years ago, better than what they receive now, what were waiting times like, how was the competency of the personnel, better or worse? Past events give insight into the current system structure, Boring subject matter for most, but exciting stuff for me. Sort of like the impact of flooding 10 years ago vs. last year. Interesting stuff for farmers, but boring for Pattaya residents.

Pity you werent looking for the biggest troll post of all time...suspect you own post would be pretty easy to find..whistling.gif

one would have thought you would be over it by now.

Besides angel o' death had two concurrent threads going. one troll was so good, it resurrected another.

i have read Thai Visa since 2004 and the most obvious change has been the shift of the forum going to a "I date only educated financially secure Thai women" mentality. Just 8 years ago the forum was definitely more along the lines of "Give me a cold beer and a nice simple girl". I guess the demographic of farang living in Thailand has changed very much since then. Now almost every "relationship" topic on Thai Visa gives a very negative perception towards those who are supporting or marrying someone from the "lower classes".

The problem may be that more often that not the "nice simple girl" does turn out as the devil in disguise, the gold digger from hell.

Supporting someone from the "lower class" is ok. But you should be aware that the "nice simple girl" may not be as nice as you would like to believe

Edited by JurgenG

I've been here since 2003, some interesting members such as Scamp, the Gentleman/Tornado, Taxexile, Doctor PP, tutsi (still here) stand out as real characters - these days there are many many more characters - but they don't seem to have the same impact as the larger forum seems to dilute the impact of their viewpoints.

My own views since those days have changed just as Thailand's own world standing and attitude to Westerners has progressed/regressed.

Still happily married to my wife and living the dream in Kalasin, however this may change within the next 24 hours - always expect the unexpected.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by chonabot
  • Like 1

I was checking the earliest thread in the "news" forum and the first difference you notice right away is most of the thread have very few replies. But one got an impressive 25 replies http://www.thaivisa....nd/page__st__25

From the subject you realize that at least a few things haven't changed much for the last 10 years.

agreejhkh.gif

Edited by mayito7777

Topics 10 years ago were: sin sod, taxi mafia, farang is walking ATMs?, Pattaya is a bad place, BKK is a bad place, begging farangs, professional beggars, scam artists on the streets, food vendors, experiences at 7-11, etc.

Topics withn the last 12 months were: sin sod, taxi mafia, farang is walking ATMs?, Pattaya is a bad place, BKK is a bad place, begging farangs, professional beggars, scam artists on the streets, food vendors, experiences at 7-11, etc.

Topics next 10 years will be: sin sod, taxi mafia, farang is walking ATMs?, Pattaya is a bad place, BKK is a bad place, begging farangs, professional beggars, scam artists on the streets, food vendors, experiences at 7-11, etc.

;-);-)

I was trying to find the earliest thread that I posted, but the 'search/order my posts' in my profile seems only to show the last 1,000 posts.

How do I locate my earliest thread? should be around 2002ish

Simon

I moved to Pattaya in 1984 or 5, can't remember exactly.

I loved it. It was great.

I had my own restaurant for years.

Rent for the whole 4 storey shop house on Second Road at the end of Pattaya Land 3 was 10,000 baht a month.

I had a Commodore 64 computer on the bar.

Shots were 35 baht and best seller Kloster was 40.

Fish and chips served on newspaper was 150 baht.

A plastic bag of Tom Yum Koong was 10 baht take away on the street. Rice free, ky dow 5 baht extra.

To boost the coffers I used to edit Pattaya Guide three times a month and contribute to Bangkok and Phuket Guides too.

But mostly we lived off the restaurant.

I was there when Simon Show was free. You just walked in.

I was also there when Simon Show packed up and moved to Phuket.

Everyone thought they were crazy.

I was there when the greatest show on earth was Marine Bar Disco after midnight (it wasn't always two bars).

And they played LP records and cassettes.

The 'purple persuader' was just fine, even with gogo bar girls.

'Lady off' was 100 baht.

Third road was the outer limits of Pattaya, and there were empty fields on Naklua road between Pattaya and Naklua.

Maybe 6 bars tops on that road, mostly near the dolphin corner (and mostly German).

Baht bus was 5 baht and baht bus drivers were just as <deleted> irritating.

There used to be a Soi Post Office and a Soi Yamoto and a Soi Yodsac.

Now all you get is Soi 2, Soi 2a, Soi 7, Soi13 or whatever.

The powers that be ripped down the big Boys Town sign days after it went up.

I don't know what they paid but it's back.

These same powers refused my mate permission to put up a sign on his bar 'Two Camels fuc_king'.

But the OK'd a 5' x 5' sign with a photo of those same two camels doing the same thing and the letters 'TCF'.

Pattaya Land 2 used to overflow with western bars, probably 12 or more.

Now it's just Cheers, Shamrock, Palmers and a load of mediocre girly venues.

(By the way, g'day Terry, Colin and Rod)

Nirun Condo was an empty paddock and there are quit a few who wish it still was.

If you turned right where the road hit Jomtien, there was no danger of running over a gaggle of gays.

And sadly, there was nowhere to drink on Jomtien beach once the sun went down.

Now the even more sad part.

I was back for 6 months in early 2011.

The beer is still cold and my buddies for the most part are alive and well.

But the same can't be said about Pattaya.

The Big Money guys, Koreans and Russians own it lock stock and barrel (same as Angeles).

Seriously, a suggestion.

If you want to know what Pattaya was like 25 years ago, check out Phnom Penh on your next visa run

Kenny

Edited by AussieKenny
  • Like 2

I was trying to find the earliest thread that I posted, but the 'search/order my posts' in my profile seems only to show the last 1,000 posts.

Simon

That is a very interesting exercise.

I did the same, and I found out how I had changed my oppinion on quite a few issues over the years (since 2003).

Simon

Is this it?

is this it?

Hmm, not sure it is because I was a Thaivisa member in 2002. Maybe I never bothered posting...

Anyway, that post is is fairly boring (unlike some of my crazy posts in the following years...)

Simon

is this it?

Hmm, not sure it is because I was a Thaivisa member in 2002. Maybe I never bothered posting...

Anyway, that post is is fairly boring (unlike some of my crazy posts in the following years...)

Simon

Not boring, it just shows that people in Thailand don't understand the concept of shelf company.

It's my experience that unfortunately lawyers in Thailand are not competent regarding international business. Much better to talk to lawyers in Hong Kong.

Edited by JurgenG

I moved to Pattaya in 1984 or 5, can't remember exactly.

I loved it. It was great.

I had my own restaurant for years.

Rent for the whole 4 storey shop house on Second Road at the end of Pattaya Land 3 was 10,000 baht a month.

I had a Commodore 64 computer on the bar.

Shots were 35 baht and best seller Kloster was 40.

Fish and chips served on newspaper was 150 baht.

A plastic bag of Tom Yum Koong was 10 baht take away on the street. Rice free, ky dow 5 baht extra.

To boost the coffers I used to edit Pattaya Guide three times a month and contribute to Bangkok and Phuket Guides too.

But mostly we lived off the restaurant.

I was there when Simon Show was free. You just walked in.

I was also there when Simon Show packed up and moved to Phuket.

Everyone thought they were crazy.

I was there when the greatest show on earth was Marine Bar Disco after midnight (it wasn't always two bars).

And they played LP records and cassettes.

The 'purple persuader' was just fine, even with gogo bar girls.

'Lady off' was 100 baht.

Third road was the outer limits of Pattaya, and there were empty fields on Naklua road between Pattaya and Naklua.

Maybe 6 bars tops on that road, mostly near the dolphin corner (and mostly German).

Baht bus was 5 baht and baht bus drivers were just as <deleted> irritating.

There used to be a Soi Post Office and a Soi Yamoto and a Soi Yodsac.

Now all you get is Soi 2, Soi 2a, Soi 7, Soi13 or whatever.

The powers that be ripped down the big Boys Town sign days after it went up.

I don't know what they paid but it's back.

These same powers refused my mate permission to put up a sign on his bar 'Two Camels fuc_king'.

But the OK'd a 5' x 5' sign with a photo of those same two camels doing the same thing and the letters 'TCF'.

Pattaya Land 2 used to overflow with western bars, probably 12 or more.

Now it's just Cheers, Shamrock, Palmers and a load of mediocre girly venues.

(By the way, g'day Terry, Colin and Rod)

Nirun Condo was an empty paddock and there are quit a few who wish it still was.

If you turned right where the road hit Jomtien, there was no danger of running over a gaggle of gays.

And sadly, there was nowhere to drink on Jomtien beach once the sun went down.

Now the even more sad part.

I was back for 6 months in early 2011.

The beer is still cold and my buddies for the most part are alive and well.

But the same can't be said about Pattaya.

The Big Money guys, Koreans and Russians own it lock stock and barrel (same as Angeles).

Seriously, a suggestion.

If you want to know what Pattaya was like 25 years ago, check out Phnom Penh on your next visa run

Kenny

Nice post - I went there in about 88 - me and my mates had a poster made of us wearing Cheers T shirts and Indian head dresses - it stayed on Colin's wal for at least 20 years - prob gone by now.