Funny Thai Sayings

mjj

Sorry Tommo, but Pseudolus is right. It means "shit + xyz" like in the following common words:

kee ai - someone who is embarrassed by shit

kee leum- someone who forgets shit

kee len- someone who likes to play with shit

kee glua- someone who is afraid of shit

etc.

No no no!

you have it completely wrong - haven't you been paying attention?!

kee ai - The shit is feeling shy or embarrassed (maybe because of the smell)

kee leum- The shit has forgotten

kee len- The shit is playing

kee glua- The shit is afraid, probably because it was playing rough and had forgotten that it stank - how embarrassing biggrin.png

OH, ummm, KEE! I think you're right.

puu ying suay means the girl is beautiful, but they don't use "is" with adjectives.

"kee men" means the shit (is) stinky, so kee ai must mean the shit (is) embarrassed!

My apologies to Tommo for my shitty advice.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is one of those cases where kee is used to emphasize on something negative, instead of referring to shit

kee luem = forgetful

luem kee forgot to shit

kee gloa = = a fearful person, its a characteristic, not shit in particular

gloa kee = afraid of shit

oftensomuch, kee is used to emphasize negative verb & adjective,

in other cases it is plain shit

morale of the whole mess ? this shit takes too much practice & collecting vocabulary,

i'll stick to english except when ordering food, or in classroom

Edited by poanoi

• 2 months later...

"หมามองเครื่องบิน" mah mawng kreuang bin

A dog looking at an airplane is the way I heard it but it can also be said as

"หมาเห่าเครื่องบิน" mah hao kreuang bin - a dog barking at an airplane

What it means according to me is to desire something that is out of your grasp

that you will never obtain. I can’t think up an english equivalent offhand except

for Dream on dude, it ain’t going to happen. So like I want to be Da Endophines boyfriend. I’m a dog barking at an airplane.

I did find a definition on the net.

"หมาเห่าเครื่องบิน"

เป็นสำนวนไทยที่เราคุ้นหูมานาน

หมายถึงลักษณะของคนที่ใคร่มี ใคร่เป็น ใคร่อยากได้ ในสิ่งที่สูงเกินเอื้อม

เปรียบกับหมาเห็นเครื่องบิน บินผ่านบนท้องฟ้า

ก็ได้เพียงแค่เห่า บ๊อกๆ

สำนวนนี้ทีถูกนำมาใช้กันมาก

เช่น กรณีไปหลงรักคนที่ต่างฐานะหรือมีเจ้าของแล้วเป็นต้น

ดังเช่นเพลงของโลโซ "หมาเห่าเครื่องบิน"

• 2 months later...

หน้าเนื้อใจเสือ - Face of a deer, heart of a tiger ( A wolf in sheep's clothing )

Face, flesh, and heart of a tiger = It's face is happy and smiling but inside it thinks bad thoughts (naa taa yim yem jairm sai tair kang nai kit rai).

No 'deer' anywhere there.

I suspect that the "deer" here is a metaphor: Think Bambi.

Actually, the word "เนื้อ" is a type of deer.

Paw thai lairw . . . i hope your father dies

Mai chai paw mai chai mare . . . Not my father or mother (what do i care)

Hen chang kee kee tam chang . . . See an elephant shit, try to copy (keeping up with the Jones

Yaa sorn jorakay why nam . . . Dont teach a crocodile to swim.

I just love trying to decipher some of these transliterations. If no English translation followed it would be near impossible to decipher.

paw - พ่อ - pɔ̂ɔ

thai - ตาย - dtaai

lairw - แล้ว - lɛ́ɛu

พ่อตายแล้ว

Father is dead (?)

Never mind, I'm going to ignore the English translation and simply go by the transliteration, transliterate it back to Thai and then paste it into Google translate. There was a few impossible ones, clearly not Thai words. My girlfriend (Thai) tried reading it and she said it was just gibberish.

เพาไทยไลร์ว์

New York's power line.

ไมไชเพาไมไชมะเระ

China Power Bare It does not bore.

เฮ็นชังเคเคทำชัง

Heinrich K hatred for hatred.

ยาซร์นโจะรคัยวฮ์ย์นำ

Western medicine Oha left the key on the Lord's leading.

• 3 months later...

You are confusing

kee + noun = bodily waste of some type with

kee + verb = modifier to transform verb into a negative human characteristic.

Please ask any Thai speaker if you don't believe us. Both kee are spelt the same way in Thai script.

Kee neow = sticky as a negative human characteristic (as in unwilling to part with money) because kee + verb

This is a really basic misunderstanding of the Thai language made by many noobs, please stop passing it on.

PS

I've never heard of Kee buri, it could mean waste from cigarette (as kee + noun), but usually only used for animal waste.

(more likely bar girl talk)

Kee + noun

Kee jamook = snot (waste from nose)

Kee hoo = ear wax (waste from ear)

Kee dtaa = eye grunge (waste from eye)

Kee + verb

Kee bon = negging person

Kee mao = drunkard

Kee lum = forgetful person

I am certain Kee means poo. Sorry if it offends you, and no, I have not learnt my Thai from hookers, but I have never heard any Thai say "No K.Pseudolus, Kee does not mean poo. It is a random word used to turn something into a negative" . If I hear from someone that works for me in my office the word Kee followed by another word I do not understand, the translation is always "Shit XYZ (whatever the other word is)"

I've only heard once before someone telling me Kee does not mean Shit and this was from a Farang whose wife called him "Kee Wan" and he went to great lengths to explain that I was wrong. He wore those Thai Clothes and looked like a monk as well; Thai'r than Thai I think; basically full of Kee.

Sorry to say, but I suspect you probably were wrong.

The "Kee" word is used in different tones and be used in the context for asking "how many".

The guys wife might possibly have been asking "how many days?" presuming waan was meaning day, and not sweet.

If you've never had a Thai ask you how long you've been here...pak yoo mueng Thai kee phee...(how many years have you been here) its obvious they aint talking about shit!

In any case this a pretty good thread for arguing the case of having to learn to read Thai to speak good Thai

edit: Of course, always possible the guys wife was saying shit is sweet or calling him a sweet shit, guess we will never know laugh.png

good lord this thread is full of people who havent the slightest clue pontificating like experts.

The word you are rambling on about erroneously is Gii with a hard g sound rather than the K sound of Kee. they are two different words with two distinctly different sounds

And this thread also has no shortage of jerk.gif wanting to bignote themselves

Yes, I do know where the K sound in Kee comes from thankyou, and im also aware that the word i was "rambling on" about starts with Gor Ghai.

for your information that would be a

But the average joe poster on here cannot usually differentiate between the two, so when they post what they think they heard in phoenetics the arguments start....hence all the confusion in the kee words

If you took my post in context you would know my point was that (in a learning context) its not possible to know FOR SURE what this OP or anyone is referring to unless they write what they are talking about in Thai text

just like klons and noobs have done...bravo!

Edited by ozzieovaseas

"หมาเห่าเครื่องบิน" mah hao kreuang bin - a dog barking at an airplane

That is the one I'm more familiar with. I have only heard it used in reference to a man dreaming about a girl he could never get, and there are definitely applicable equivalents to it in English like "(She's) out of your league" or "Keep dreaming." You could also easily apply in the same way that those phrases and the additional "It ain't gonna happen" and "You're barking up the wrong tree" fit many types of circumstances. I'm not sure if the same is true for the Thai barking dog or not.