Required "Meds" To Los

ivan96822

Okay, I get the point that one needs to look out for one's health.

Went to BKK last year and got medications for malaria and other health-related issues. Was browsing and some said that they recommend a Hepatitis A and a Hepatitis B shot/medication.

Hep A, fine, contaminated food, water, I can understand that.

Hep B, hmmm....not exactly looking forward to being diagnosed with some "extra-curricular," "horizontal-refreshment" blemish due to too much time spent with the wrong "girlfriends."

That said, pray tell, gents, from an honest perspective, which meds would you be FOR/AGAINST/OR NEUTRAL?

When I went to BKK last year, the meds for malaria, etc. cost approximately $130/US....I don't think I want to spend money on medication that I don't need.

Anybody got the latest cost of Hep A and, ahem, Hep B (if required) in $US or Thai baht?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to insightful--although snide, I am sure--commentary.

Okay, so here's some new developments.

I go to get my Hep A and B shots today. Pay $90 USD for each one. Fine. Whatever.

Then, they tell me that I need to take another Hep A shot in a month, another Hep B in a month, and a final Hep B in six months...Okay fine. I paid $180 USD, so I might as well get my money's worth.

Then, they tell me, no, the three additional shots will be an additional $90 USD each. So, five shots totalling $450 USD.

My response is this: I would in no way pay an additional $270 USD. That said, can anyone comment on whether this is a foolish decision or not? When getting Hep A and B shots, members, do you get all five shots and pay exorbitant amounts?

Let me know. I'd be curious to hear your responses.

Edited by ivan96822

Why don't you do the hep a+B vaccination in Thailand? It is much cheaper here. For B it is hard to contract if you vae protected sex always...Dunno about A though...

Malaria is also not very common in Thailand unless you spend much time upcountry and don't take precautions against mosquitoes...Malaria is really an African disease, not so common in Asia.

Edited by Debothai

For someone who expects to be exposed to Hep A on a trip, you'd want to get the shot(s?) WELL BEFORE arriving at the destination. (As it takes some time for the protection to kick in.)

Edited by Jingthing

Malaria is also not very common in Thailand unless you spend much time upcountry and don't take precautions against mosquitoes...Malaria is really an African disease, not so common in Asia.

Not exactly.

Thailand is mostly low risk.

Laos for example is high risk.

Last time I checked, Laos is in Asia. coffee1.gif

post-37101-0-49357200-1336545835_thumb.g

post-37101-0-27755300-1336545844_thumb.g

http://www.fitfortra...hs.uk/home.aspx

Edited by Jingthing

No need for malaria meds. There are only a few places in Thailand where it is endemic and they are deep jungle and you'd have to spend the night out there to get it.

Are you sure you aren't already vaccinated for hep A? as nowadays it is part of the routine schedule in most countries. If you're on the wrong side of 45-50 then you may have missed it but most younger folks will have had it. If you haven't had it then certainly should.

Hep B is very strongly recommended. It is true that 100% consistent condom use will greatly reduce the risks of getting ti (and should be practiced for other reasons as well...HIV, multi-drug resistant STIs etc). Still, not 100% effective and if you are intimate with a carrier (of which there are many in Thailand, most of them unaware of the fact), you could get it. Many people do not realize it but hep B is far easier to catch than HIV. Young children even get it just from playing together (scraped knees and the like...unlike HIV, the Hep B virus can live for a while outsider the body).

You should certainly start the series before coming here (as you have) and I would advise having the second shot also before you come if possible, but the 6th month one can be done here if that fits your timetable.

No need for malaria meds. There are only a few places in Thailand where it is endemic and they are deep jungle and you'd have to spend the night out there to get it.

Are you sure you aren't already vaccinated for hep A? as nowadays it is part of the routine schedule in most countries. If you're on the wrong side of 45-50 then you may have missed it but most younger folks will have had it. If you haven't had it then certainly should.

Hep B is very strongly recommended. It is true that 100% consistent condom use will greatly reduce the risks of getting ti (and should be practiced for other reasons as well...HIV, multi-drug resistant STIs etc). Still, not 100% effective and if you are intimate with a carrier (of which there are many in Thailand, most of them unaware of the fact), you could get it. Many people do not realize it but hep B is far easier to catch than HIV. Young children even get it just from playing together (scraped knees and the like...unlike HIV, the Hep B virus can live for a while outsider the body).

You should certainly start the series before coming here (as you have) and I would advise having the second shot also before you come if possible, but the 6th month one can be done here if that fits your timetable.

I don't feel like dropping another $90 USD for shot Number 2 of Hep B. What is the cost in Thai baht at a Bangkok facility? Also, what is the procedure?

I was baffled when I was actually in and out (with no appointment made) in twenty minutes here in the States...Would be nice to hear of similar expedience in the Kingdom.

Thanks.

Can't recall the price, but the in-and-out experience applies at both Bumrungrad and BNH hospitals in Bangkok where they have dedicated Travel Medicine/Shot Clinics. I have been to both, without appointment, and didn't wait long to see doctor. If you have the yellow vaccination "passport" it helps them to see your shot history to know exactly what you need. From my overall experiences at BNH, I tend to recommend them, but for something as straight forward as vaccinations, Bumrungrad should be just as good.

One vaccination I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Japanese Encephalitis. Whenever I go for shots, they always seem to recommend that one. Any comments from other posters here?

Edited by wpcoe

I have to ask, and forgive me if this is paranoid or ignorant...

I can expect a clean, unused syringe at hospitals in BKK, right?

I know that Thailand has excellent medical facilities and staff, but again, I just gotta know....?

I have to ask, and forgive me if this is paranoid or ignorant...

I can expect a clean, unused syringe at hospitals in BKK, right?

I know that Thailand has excellent medical facilities and staff, but again, I just gotta know....?

Yes

No problem at all with sterility of needle and syringe. Disposables are used.

Japanese B vaccine is indicated if you will be spending time in rural areas. Pigs are a resevoir for the virus so it is found anywhere pigs are raised nearby.

If you are going to be only in cities and beach resorts, risk is very low, probably so low that the risk of the (rare) side effects of the vaccine would be greater,. However of you will staying in rural villages, then it is very advisable. I've had the vaccine myself, and I've seen farang get the disease here. Outcome can be death or permanant brain damage so well worth avoiding.

The other advisable vaccine is the human rabies pre-exposure vaccine, there is a lot of rabies here and stray dogs are everywhere.

Lastly while we are on the subject and as you are concerned about costs of medical care, you should be sure to have medical insurance that will cover you while here. Unless you already have an insurance policy with worldwide coverage, a travel insurance policy is the way to go. I use World Nomad whenever I travel.

This is assuming you are not permanently moving here. in that instance, a local insurance policy would be advised.

I myself only got Hep A shots because it can be contracted even through contaminated food.

I can therefore only speak for the Hep A shots, but as far as I've been told by my Dutch GP, the 2nd shot is for prolonged protection (10 yrs at least, probably a lot longer/lifetime).

So if you had a shot already before, it's really a shame if it isn't repeated.

Hep B you can only contract by blood-blood contact or sexual contacts. It is indeed much more contagious than HIV (I believe 10 to 100 times), so if you are concidering a carreer as Thai boxer (I assume people don't come here to **** around with a lot of different men/women) it might be wise to get that shot as well.

I myself have a steady relation for years already (and my gf and I had us both tested for STD's before going into anything!!!), so since I'm not a fighter, I didn't saw any reason to get the Hep B shots. If anyone has other insights, please correct me if i'm wrong in this one, since my health is very important to me.

Unfortunately rabies is a lethal disease that does occur in Thailand and once it's incubated, it's NON-treatable and you will die a very unpleasent death.

Rabies shots can be done in Thailand though to save on costs.

If you haven't been bitten by a possibly contaminated animal, I believe you need to have 3 shots in total.

I got it AFTER I came in to contact with an animal last January and I needed to get 5 shots in total! You also need to get your first shot within 1 week of the incident.

If I remember correctly Lanna Hispital in Chiang Mai charged someting like THB600 or 800 per shot, but it's a lot better than dying of rabies I think.

I do have some medical background, but I'm not a doctor! I do assume though that your own doctor would be able to exactly explain the ins and outs, but maybe this already gives you some idea.

Edited by witje78