Mandatory Retirement Age For Farangs In Thailand?

I am 55 with a very satisfying teaching job in a university in Thailand. My long-range plans are to do this until 65, when my USA Social Security and former company pension plan kick in.

However, I know many of my Thai comrades are required to retire at age 60. Is there also a mandatory retirement age for farangs working in Thailand? Specifically, in the teaching profession?

I did my obligatory search of the forums and didn't find an answer. If I missed something, please direct me to the appropriate thread. Thanks.

I know a few expats who are over 60yo who teach in Thai Primary schools not sure about university.however i think you should retire at 60 unless you are financially incapable.Why waste your life working?Then again i suppose you dont work a full 40 hr week and gives you something to do.

Why not ask your HR Dept. What about AJARNS website?

I know a few expats who are over 60yo who teach in Thai Primary schools not sure about university.however i think you should retire at 60 unless you are financially incapable.Why waste your life working?Then again i suppose you dont work a full 40 hr week and gives you something to do.

Thanks for the ideas, especially the AJARN website.

Actually, teaching 15 hours a week, but getting paid a full-time salary isn't so bad. Plus, I love it. I'd like to do this until "death do us part" (70? 75? 90?) I bet I'd be the only toothless Ajarn using a walker and geriatric diapers. Paints an ugly picture, doesn't it?

Drinking beer all day & nite at a beach bar in Phuket with ten other pot-bellied, red-nosed farangs, then dying of liver cirrhosis doesn't appeal to me (is that the other alternative? :o )

Thanks for the ideas, especially the AJARN website.

Actually, teaching 15 hours a week, but getting paid a full-time salary isn't so bad. Plus, I love it. I'd like to do this until "death do us part" (70? 75? 90?) I bet I'd be the only toothless Ajarn using a walker and geriatric diapers. Paints an ugly picture, doesn't it?

Drinking beer all day & nite at a beach bar in Phuket with ten other pot-bellied, red-nosed farangs, then dying of liver cirrhosis doesn't appeal to me (is that the other alternative? :o )

I don't believe I've come across a mandatory retirement age, each employer seems to have their own policy. However there is a mandatory retirement age for elephants, 61, and I also think people should follow suit :D

I talked to a Thai ajarn friend of mine several months ago about this because I was just switched from contractual employee to permanent staff. He said that university mandatory retirement was 60 but that the government was in the process of extending that to 62-65. Don't know the status of this change yet but my current (2nd step after probation) goes well beyond my 60th birthday. Being permanent staff now, I am on a university retirement plan which after retirement allows me to continue work at a reduced schedule (think 50%) indefinitely.