New Shopping Center( Soon )

luckyluke

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PERFECT location. There isn't nearly enough traffic on Pattaya Tai now!

When is some "brilliant" Thai businessman going to realize the fantastic opportunity that awaits for, at the very least, a major supermarket a few kilometers into the Darkside? There are literally hundreds of falangs over here who'd warmly welcome the chance to avoid crossing Sukhumvit to do our shopping. I've been hearing rumors of this happening for the last couple of years; but we still have nothing but a couple of "mini-mart" things that aren't much more than overgrown 7-11s. (My suggestion would be on Siam CC Road, at least 3kms east; though 6kms would be even better!)

Jomtien would seem a better bet to me; no real competition, lots of people with plenty of money and fairly poor public transport to Tesco which is the nearest proper supermarket.

I would have thought that most people on the Darskide would have a car, and so could easily get to Tesco or BIgC on Sukumvit.

• Like 1

Jomtien would seem a better bet to me; no real competition, lots of people with plenty of money and fairly poor public transport to Tesco which is the nearest proper supermarket.

I would have thought that most people on the Darskide would have a car, and so could easily get to Tesco or BIgC on Sukumvit.

The problem is that most falang on the Darkside who have cars live at

least 3kms east of Suk. The traffic on the east-west roads there now

is almost as bad as it is on the west side of Suk. It takes me 20-25

minutes (depending on time of day) to travel the 4 kms from Nongprue

Rd to Suk. That's why I suggested that a market should be located at

least 3 kms east of Suk.

New villages are going up constantly. There are at least a dozen under

construction right now. (Not mention several dozen shophouse and apartment buildings.)

When occupied, that east-west traffic will get

even worse. A trip to the west side of Suk, even just to Big C or

Lotus on the south side, will be hell. It already is so on the worst

of our east-west roads, "Motorbike Hell", also known as Nernplubwarn

or Muslim Road.

Darkside is where the customers live. Big population. Intrigues that you would think most people on Darkside would have a car. Why is that?

Rd to Suk.

Fair enough. I never go to the other side of Sukumvit so I wouldnt know. It used to be nice and quiet there 20 years ago!

You would indeed benefit from a closer supermarket.

Intrigues that you would think most people on Darkside would have a car. Why is that?

I cant imagine who would want to live so far out and not have a car, that's all. Getting around central Pattaya/Jomtien on bahtbuses is a doddle at all hours, but even on Sukumvit you often have to wait a while for a bahtbus, and on the Darkside there seem to be huge areas that dont have them at all.

I would certainly want one if I lived there.

I don't think there'd be any way to prove this without police contacts; but I strongly believe that most falang residents here on the Darkside do own cars. Some own both a car and a bike; but I think that most here live in full size houses, either stand alone, or in villages. And most people who live in houses do own a car, SUV, or truck; if only due to the fact that homeowners tend to need to transport a lot of large items for house or garden. Most who live in rooms or apartments are living in that stretch from Suk to about 3 kms east, as I noted before. From there, going further east, most farangs live in houses. and have families; thereby requiring more groceries, which again pretty much requires a car for transport.

A supermarket located 3-6 kms east of Suk, on Siam CC Road, would be extremely successful. Other excellent options would be somewhere along Pattanakarn Road, or Natho Nongkraborg Road, at the south end of Pattanakarn Road. All 3 of those general locations have lots of open land that I assume would be available for a supermarket; and none of them have extremely high levels of traffic. (Siam CC Road is the most heavily travelled; but even that isn't bad once you get east of the open air market at Soi 18.)

Honestly, if I had the money to do so, I'd find a Thai partner, and invest in a supermarket there in a heartbeat!

Yeah, I'm always amazed at all the wealthy looking people I see riding the baht-buses in Pattaya/Jomtien :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm always amazed at all the wealthy looking people I see riding the baht-buses in Pattaya/Jomtien smile.png

Yeah, I'm always amazed at all the wealthy looking people I see riding the baht-buses in Pattaya/Jomtien smile.png

I hope you're not serious. You do know with westerners anyway you can't tell wealth by clothes, right?

I am going to introduce an important English word to the Thai vocabulary.

Infrastructure, or lack of.

For 4 years they have been building the "new" 2nd Road in Jomtien. Overlooking the fact that they forgot about drainage ? This road when it is not doubling as a land fill site will end up on Sukhamvit Road.

It takes a long loop round and it is still a fair bit short of its final target.

Surely the final plan is not to have it lined from one end to the other with "pie in the sky" Condos or shop houses?

Or is it? There cannot be many more ex Soviet Block people left who can or even want to buy a 34 sq Mtr room here.

There are acres of land for an opportunistic, wealthy Thai to build all manner of things necessary for modern life.

Supermarket (Tesco / Big C size), Private School, Petrol stations, Hospital, modern Re-cycling plant and incinerator to produce electricity for increased demand (imagine if they burnt all the crap how clean the place would be).

To name but a few....

Lastly, Jingthing is right, wealth cannot be judged by a vest, baggy shorts and flip flops....

Darkside is where the customers live. Big population. Intrigues that you would think most people on Darkside would have a car. Why is that?

Why bring a supermarket to them? Central location on Sukhumviit Road is the smarter operation as they get business from both sides. One thing is for sure, you can complain as much as you like about the bad traffic, but you'll always find a way to do your shopping. What's an extra 5 or 10 minutes in your air-conditioned car matter anyway.

It's on Tony;s land so it may be his developement.. therefore I wouldn't hold much hope of it being a success, just a total failure like Tony's foodcourt, Tony's Bizarre and Tony's camp site*.

(*Yes you could actually rent a tent in Pattaya for 300 baht a night)

Yeah, I'm always amazed at all the wealthy looking people I see riding the baht-buses in Pattaya/Jomtien

I know a few people who take the bahtbus to/from Jomtien who make me feel like a pauper. And in spite of appearances I'm quite a long way from the breadline myself.

If/when I get a car it will be a brand new one and I probably wont have much change from 800K, but even when I have it I will still use the bahtbus daily because it's so much simpler and easier. I will use the car to get to Tesco though, for the reasons I mentioned.

If I lived on the Darkside I would surely have a car already, but if public transport was easily available there I would use that instead. It's all just common sense really.

• Like 1

Surely the final plan is not to have it lined from one end to the other with "pie in the sky" Condos or shop houses?

Or is it? There cannot be many more ex Soviet Block people left who can or even want to buy a 34 sq Mtr room here.

There are acres of land for an opportunistic, wealthy Thai to build all manner of things necessary for modern life.

Supermarket (Tesco / Big C size), Private School, Petrol stations, Hospital, modern Re-cycling plant and incinerator to produce electricity for increased demand (imagine if they burnt all the crap how clean the place would be).

The property developers seem to think that there is still a lot of steam left in the Russian condo-buying machine. We shall see.

Either way, as you say there is no shortage of space in Jomtien for a decent supermarket; the Ocean1 site would seem an obvious contender, or the plot by Chateau Dale which as far as I know was earmarked for a commercial centre years ago. Not to mention the umpteen empty hectares opposite on the Jomtien side of Pattaya Park.

Rd to Suk. That's why I suggested that a market should be located at

least 3 kms east of Suk.

New villages are going up constantly. There are at least a dozen under

construction right now. (Not mention several dozen shophouse and apartment buildings.)

When occupied, that east-west traffic will get

even worse. A trip to the west side of Suk, even just to Big C or

Lotus on the south side, will be hell. It already is so on the worst

of our east-west roads, "Motorbike Hell", also known as Nernplubwarn

or Muslim Road.

Well, you cant have it allways, you want cheap property then you have to go without the local services..or spend time travelling to them....if you want to be near superstores, pay the premium.Tesco already have a few express stores on the darkside, why would they spend billions on a superstore there just to loose the custom in Central Pattaya.

• Like 1

Well, you cant have it allways, you want cheap property then you have to go without the local services..or spend time travelling to them....if you want to be near superstores, pay the premium.Tesco already have a few express stores on the darkside, why would they spend billions on a superstore there just to loose the custom in Central Pattaya.

Phom, Lotus already has 2 locations in Pattaya, as does Big C. Both are very busy all day and night long. There are plenty of customers on the Darkside to split that business off to a store there. The express stores you mention are no more than slightly larger 7-11s. There stock falls far short of what is available at the supermarkets. (Otherwise, why would anybody from the Darkside travel to the supermarkets?) :-)

It's on Tony;s land so it may be his developement.. therefore I wouldn't hold much hope of it being a success, just a total failure like Tony's foodcourt, Tony's Bizarre and Tony's camp site*.

(*Yes you could actually rent a tent in Pattaya for 300 baht a night)

Did they do short time rates as well?

The property developers seem to think that there is still a lot of steam left in the Russian condo-buying machine. We shall see.

Either way, as you say there is no shortage of space in Jomtien for a decent supermarket; the Ocean1 site would seem an obvious contender, or the plot by Chateau Dale which as far as I know was earmarked for a commercial centre years ago. Not to mention the umpteen empty hectares opposite on the Jomtien side of Pattaya Park.

They are the 2 locations that were earmarked before but nothing happened.

Edited by PattayaParent

Why bring a supermarket to them? Central location on Sukhumviit Road is the smarter operation as they get business from both sides. One thing is for sure, you can complain as much as you like about the bad traffic, but you'll always find a way to do your shopping. What's an extra 5 or 10 minutes in your air-conditioned car matter anyway.

When there's traffic it can take 40 minutes to get along Third Rd. So from the dark side it would be a lot more than 5 or 10 minutes extra.

Phom, Lotus already has 2 locations in Pattaya, as does Big C. Both are very busy all day and night long. There are plenty of customers on the Darkside to split that business off to a store there. The express stores you mention are no more than slightly larger 7-11s. There stock falls far short of what is available at the supermarkets. (Otherwise, why would anybody from the Darkside travel to the supermarkets?) :-)

I have to disagree with your comment about Lotus and Big C being busy. Granted I always shop late, so usually not earlier than 8 in the evening, but the south stores are not busy at all.

The only problem that could make them seem slightly busy, is that they only have a few checkouts open. So you might have to queue up behind a shopper or two before you get to the cashier.

I have to disagree with your comment about Lotus and Big C being busy. Granted I always shop late, so usually not earlier than 8 in the evening, but the south stores are not busy at all.

The only problem that could make them seem slightly busy, is that they only have a few checkouts open. So you might have to queue up behind a shopper or two before you get to the cashier.

It can get crazy from mid morning till the afternoon. I've seen very long lines with many checkouts open. Makro is the same. We don't shop at Big C Extra any more...

They seem to have started to build something on the plot next to Chateau Dale/Royal Hill. Anyone know what it will be ?