Upgrading Laptop Ram

MaxwellsDemon

It's been a while since I've done any tinkering in computers (6-7 years ago I did a lot of stuff to my poor desktop and turned it into a monster).

I'm just upgrading myself to CS6 and thought this would be a nice opportunity to step up from the 4GB in my laptop.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium which I believe grants a maximum cap of 16 gigs. Depending on the prices I find, I may settle with 8 gigs or jump up to 16. So do I just come home with a couple sticks of 4 or 8 gigs, and exchange the two via the handy-dandy RAM access cover under my laptop, and bob's my uncle?

1) Am I forgetting anything? Aim for same model/brand to avoid problems, yes? No tinkering in the BIOS?

2) Where should I shop for this? MBK good enough? Pantip better? Fortune the best? (Seems to me the pattern I see, but they're in order of ease-to-get-to for me.)

I've used Kingston before (which seems to be the 'standard' brand in Thailand), but prefer to use Corsair because of the value they offer and I've never had an issue with them before.

Even though Windows Home Premium (x64...x86 is 4 GB max) limits you to 16 GB, you need to look at your other hardware. Older Core2 Duo/Quad are limited by the chipset, I think that 8GB for the GM/S45 was the max, others have lower limits. Core i3/i5/i7 range from 8 to 32 GB since the memory controller is on die. Without know your configuration, it's hard to say as to whether your plan will work or not. Also, is your current memory single or dual channel? If dual channel, is 2GB of it soldered onto the motherboard?

**snarky postscript**

Odd that Windows has such a low max memory; with a 64bit Linux install the limit is something stupid like 64TB.

Your best to check if you have any slots free first also if your going big on the RAM then you need 64 bit machine as 32 only supports 3gb

Good luck

Actually 32 bit does support 4 GB, the problem is that Windows reserves the upper ~1GB for kernel usage.

I took a system scan at crucial.com, and they tell me I'm stuck to 8GB. dam_n, was getting excited about the potential for 16, but oh well. Next time.

They say:

"Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

Slots: 2

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.."

Should I be fine if I just go looking for sticks with either DDR3 PC3-10600/8500 on them?

Man, last time I was doing this DDR (1) was the hot new thing.

1. You need to check how much memory the motherboard will support.

2. What memory is in there at present, ie do you have a spare slot (laptops only have 2 slots)

3. What version of Win 7 you are running, 32 bit or 64 bit

I am running the 64bit version and using over 4Gb out of 8Gb

I am not convinced that you would necessarily notice a huge difference between 4Gb and 8 or more, all depending on which programmes you use most. For my usage it certainly wouldnt be worthwhile.

I would be more inclined to stick with 4Gb and buy a small SSD to install the operating system on, as this should bring a global improvement.

**snarky postscript**

Odd that Windows has such a low max memory; with a 64bit Linux install the limit is something stupid like 64TB.

Not odd at all. Standard microcrap tactics. Build in artificial limitations to force people to buy/upgrade to a more premium product.

I am not convinced that you would necessarily notice a huge difference between 4Gb and 8 or more, all depending on which programmes you use most. For my usage it certainly wouldnt be worthwhile.

I regularly run (simultaneously) Photoshop and inDesign and have had page file issues before, and Premiere Pro/AE aren't exactly smooth cruising with 4 gigs.

Picked up a couple of Kingston 4 gig PC3-10600 at Fortune Town, since no one even hinted at answering my second question.

My Thai is too limited to understand the shopkeeper's explanation of why a set of two 4gig Corsair sticks is 1,800 baht, when buying each separately is 750 baht each. Identical sticks. Derp.

1. You need to check how much memory the motherboard will support.

2. What memory is in there at present, ie do you have a spare slot (laptops only have 2 slots)

3. What version of Win 7 you are running, 32 bit or 64 bit

I am running the 64bit version and using over 4Gb out of 8Gb

You mean most laptops only have two slots.wink.png I picked up an Asus N53SV and it has four slots. It also supports 32GB with the 2720 or 16 with the 2360. Now-a-days it's not the motherboard that determines the max RAM (well in slots but not in total supported), but since, IIRC, the socket 754/939/940 for AMD and Core i* for Intel the controllers have been on die.

I regularly run (simultaneously) Photoshop and inDesign and have had page file issues before, and Premiere Pro/AE aren't exactly smooth cruising with 4 gigs.

Picked up a couple of Kingston 4 gig PC3-10600 at Fortune Town, since no one even hinted at answering my second question.

My Thai is too limited to understand the shopkeeper's explanation of why a set of two 4gig Corsair sticks is 1,800 baht, when buying each separately is 750 baht each. Identical sticks. Derp.

I'm sorry that I could not answer your question as where to buy; but it's good you found some. Disregard the other commentors about 4 vs 8 GB. Once you've done the upgrade you will never want to go back. Much the same as the upgrade to multi-core (undertook that in the dual socket 940 days 2005?) or SSD ('bout a year and change ago) you will definitely appreciate the upgrade to your computing experience.

In regards to your question about the price delta; there is some validation that goes on with dual memory chip sales. Whether its worth 300 THB is up to debate, but the manufacturer would definitely end up embarrassed if they sold a package of RAM and it did not perform together.

I use CS5.5 Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Fireworks along with several other programmes simultaneously and have no swapfile issues with 4Gb.

I do also use Premiere but rarely for full video.

I did once fit 8Gb but had no noticeable improvement. YMMV, of course, as I indicated.

The switch to SSD was far and away the most noticeable change I ever made and I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone.

**snarky postscript**

Didn't Mr. Gates once famously say that 'nobody will need more than 64k of memory'?

It was 640K, back when that was the limit for DOS.

One thing to be careful of - apparently some chipsets can be a bit fickle (AMD Vision is apparently notorious for this), and will work with some RAM and not with others... so check the websites and ideally buy the specific RAM that one of them (crucial/kingston/laptop manufacturer/etc.) recommends for your actual laptop.

I guess I should report back; the two Kingston 4 gig PC3-10600s went in without a hitch, not much noticeable improvement until I fired up Lightroom, and dayum. Working on 80 megapixel+ PSDs in Photoshop is noticeably smoother, too. It's still slow, but at least now it doesn't just freeze up and get really jerky. AE and PPro are alright so far.

My laptop has one of those only-turn-on-the-video-card-when-necessary "feature," which is usually when games are being run, otherwise a small pseudo card is run off the main CPU. But I think when I'm running PPro CS6 which is supposed to utilize the GPU for extra power, my computer doesn't switch over, and leaves it with the onboard video card. I can't figure out how to force activate the GeForce card on this thing....

I guess I should report back; the two Kingston 4 gig PC3-10600s went in without a hitch, not much noticeable improvement until I fired up Lightroom, and dayum. Working on 80 megapixel+ PSDs in Photoshop is noticeably smoother, too. It's still slow, but at least now it doesn't just freeze up and get really jerky. AE and PPro are alright so far.

My laptop has one of those only-turn-on-the-video-card-when-necessary "feature," which is usually when games are being run, otherwise a small pseudo card is run off the main CPU. But I think when I'm running PPro CS6 which is supposed to utilize the GPU for extra power, my computer doesn't switch over, and leaves it with the onboard video card. I can't figure out how to force activate the GeForce card on this thing....

Inside your nVidia control panel there is a setting to force the programme to utilise the nVidia card. If it does not want to do utilise it, and you are sure the programme is optimised for using the Geforce card, go ahead and make a copy of the programmes *.exe and point your nVidia control panel to the copy; I've had to do this (learned it from another forum) and nobody knows why...

Inside your nVidia control panel there is a setting to force the programme to utilise the nVidia card. If it does not want to do utilise it, and you are sure the programme is optimised for using the Geforce card, go ahead and make a copy of the programmes *.exe and point your nVidia control panel to the copy; I've had to do this (learned it from another forum) and nobody knows why...

AHH thank you. Got it now. Makes a world of difference (kinda) but it's good to know I'm using all the power I can get now.

Also, I'm processing a massive panorama of the red-shirts yesterday and according to Task Manager Photoshop.exe just past the 4 gig memory usage mark. To think that would have been impossible a week ago!

• 1 year later...

you already purchased the ram. But I would have checked in the shop if the laptop was capable of handling more memory.. Always a good idea to bring in the laptop (or desktop)) in the shop and do the upgrade right there. It takes a few minutes, and you can know right away if it works or not.

Which shop did you buy from? I usually go to MemoryToday, but they are a bit more expensive than what you mention. Forgot the brand name of RAM memory they sell.