Thailand Needs Cricket

brit1984 in reply #625....said

I completely agree that the beauty of cricket is difficult to appreciate for those who have not been exposed to it from an early age, and the benefits will only be fully realised by those who start playing cricket while at primary school; this is why I believe cricket should be part of the Thai school curriculum starting at nursery age.

What do yah mean Boss

It has only taken me 10 days......rolleyes.gif

I suspect you were already a closet cricket aficionado and this thread has provided you with a platform to "come out"

Yeah.....well...I know....I just cant keep secrets.....sad.png

What are your log-in details for online banking?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Now Boss...Thay one is easy.....1234......thumbsup.gif

If it dosen't work, let me know cause I might av changed it since last time.....thumbsup.gif

Do you think our run tally will get to that?......That i'll better the OAP..cheesy.gif

Edited by kevjohn

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• photo-36037.gif?_r=0
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 488 posts

Just 12 more posts to go ...

512 posts and you can change from 'Senior Member' to 'Cheer Leader Manager'

But don't let the impending milestone(s) affect your concentration; it would be a shame to let a rush of blood bring an end to what has so far been a tremendous innings

• photo-36037.gif?_r=0
  • Members
  • 488 posts

Is that the other special thing that happens?...... I'll like that......thumbsup.gif

• photo-36037.gif?_r=0
  • Members
  • 488 posts

But don't let the impending milestone(s) affect your concentration; it would be a shame to let a rush of blood bring an end to what has so far been a tremendous innings

No need to worry about " a rush of blood " to this old cricketing member. He's enjoying the game too much.....thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

The run-rate has dropped significantly since plopmeister's farcical run-out

I did think that he'd be back after he arranged the team at his Immigration office

but maybe they are having problems with their medical....whistling.gif

Edited by kevjohn

Well, cricketing promotes friendship ... why don't you invite some of your friends here (PM them) to 'chance their arm' in an over or two?

Well, cricketing promotes friendship ... why don't you invite some of your friends here (PM them) to 'chance their arm' in an over or two?

I am planning to write to the MCC to explain my plan and try to gain their support. Maybe they could then instruct one (or more) of their members to join the TV forum, and provide some further insights on this thread.

In the meantime, I do hope plopmeister will return to the crease as he was batting well; I feel his aggressive stroke-play is needed to keep the scoreboard ticking over and to provide entertainment for the spectators.

FOR ANYONE JUST JOINING THIS THREAD...

We are discussing how cricket can help Thailand, and how Thailand can help cricket.

Please feel free to provide your thoughts or support (or even opposition).

In particular, I would be interested if anyone can suggest any issues in Thailand that cannot be solved by cricket...

I am planning to write to the MCC to explain my plan and try to gain their support. Maybe they could then instruct one (or more) of their members to join the TV forum, and provide some further insights on this thread.

In the meantime, I do hope plopmeister will return to the crease as he was batting well; I feel his aggressive stroke-play is needed to keep the scoreboard ticking over and to provide entertainment for the spectators.

Yeah Boss..... talking to me aussie mates tryin to drum up more support.biggrin.png

Harry was good for a couple of runs, but he'd gone quite.....maybe too many beers...wink.png

Anyway.....just have ta keep waiting and see what happens...coffee1.gif

plopmeister might be back for the second innings?

Hope so...anyway, thanks for that run...wink.png we'll out do the record ...whatever it is...by a mile....clap2.gif

This is one for the Keeper of the RUles...

For Women's Cricket.

Are LadyBoys allowed to play on the women's side? In the national Thai Women's Team?

post-147205-0-08972600-1337589526_thumb.

That wicket keeper has big hands...

Good to see yah back SC.thumbsup.gif

Fillen in as driver was starten to take a toll on me back..wink.png

Now...big hands.....are you referring to banana's?..ermm.gif

Edited by kevjohn

The OP has to keep in mind that for those of us who grew up with sports like ice hockey, cricket is the fastest way to get to sleep. To those who didn't grow up viewing the sport, it's amazingly boring, especially waiting for 5 days to see who wins. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz And let's face it, Thais can (and do) sleep anywhere, so cricket could have a negative effect (he said tongue-in-cheek)

This isn't a criticism of cricket but simply a reminder that for the unacquainted it's not exciting. I truly believe that all pro sports have their points to be appreciated once one observes it long enough to learn the subtleties of it, but to most of us cricket looks like 5 days of the same thing -- a man runs and throws a ball to another man who tries to hit it. If he does hit it, he may not even have to run. There just isn't much substance to the game of cricket that many of us can see.

Welcome to the thread and thank you for your input. You have made some excellent points, which you may be surprised to learn are actually (to some extent) in agreement with the views of myself and the other enlightened contributors to this thread.

As you rightly pointed out, many Thai people have an issue with staying awake. This disease will be cured through cricket as they will learn while batting (and while fielding) that a momentary lapse in concentration can result in a rock hard ball in the face and/or embarassment (and in some cases anger from your team mates).

I completely agree that the beauty of cricket is difficult to appreciate for those who have not been exposed to it from an early age, and the benefits will only be fully realised by those who start playing cricket while at primary school; this is why I believe cricket should be part of the Thai school curriculum starting at nursery age.

As already mentioned in the thread, cricket will not provide a quick-fix to all of Thai problems (although some benefits will be seen immediately such as evening nets practice enabling single mothers to pursue meaningful careers), but most of the upside will take generations to be realised.

I think the programme has great potential, as Thai people are open minded and are untarnished by serious fanatical passion for any lesser sports (although some Thais do have a passing interest in some sports). Thailand's potential to benefit from the introduction of cricket is in stark contrast to America, for example, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread is a lost cause.

I'm very happy to see that my post was taken with the good spirit intended -- only to explain the perspective of someone who loves sports but has never really appreciated cricket. I really like the ideas here of modifying the game to appeal to the Thai market -- an 8'er for beaning a sleeping fielder will be a true winner. And the idea of cricket actually helping social and economic aspects of Thailand is downright inspiring. I believe I'll be looking at cricket with a new appreciation from now on.

The OP has to keep in mind that for those of us who grew up with sports like ice hockey, cricket is the fastest way to get to sleep. To those who didn't grow up viewing the sport, it's amazingly boring, especially waiting for 5 days to see who wins. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz And let's face it, Thais can (and do) sleep anywhere, so cricket could have a negative effect (he said tongue-in-cheek)

This isn't a criticism of cricket but simply a reminder that for the unacquainted it's not exciting. I truly believe that all pro sports have their points to be appreciated once one observes it long enough to learn the subtleties of it, but to most of us cricket looks like 5 days of the same thing -- a man runs and throws a ball to another man who tries to hit it. If he does hit it, he may not even have to run. There just isn't much substance to the game of cricket that many of us can see.

Welcome to the thread and thank you for your input. You have made some excellent points, which you may be surprised to learn are actually (to some extent) in agreement with the views of myself and the other enlightened contributors to this thread.

As you rightly pointed out, many Thai people have an issue with staying awake. This disease will be cured through cricket as they will learn while batting (and while fielding) that a momentary lapse in concentration can result in a rock hard ball in the face and/or embarassment (and in some cases anger from your team mates).

As already mentioned in the thread, cricket will not provide a quick-fix to all of Thai problems (although some benefits will be seen immediately such as evening nets practice enabling single mothers to pursue meaningful careers), but most of the upside will take generations to be realised.

I think the programme has great potential, as Thai people are open minded and are untarnished by serious fanatical passion for any lesser sports (although some Thais do have a passing interest in some sports). Thailand's potential to benefit from the introduction of cricket is in stark contrast to America, for example, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread is a lost cause.

I'm very happy to see that my post was taken with the good spirit intended -- only to explain the perspective of someone who loves sports but has never really appreciated cricket. I really like the ideas here of modifying the game to appeal to the Thai market -- an 8'er for beaning a sleeping fielder will be a true winner. And the idea of cricket actually helping social and economic aspects of Thailand is downright inspiring. I believe I'll be looking at cricket with a new appreciation from now on.

Yeah mate wink.png ..........yeh learning like me clap2.gifwont take long.....only 10 days for me, but you seem like a fast learner...thumbsup.gif

What about the age selection of the team?

Should it be played in the spirit of the relationships we currently see in Thailand?

Sort of an intergereration theme.

Old and young, young and old alike.

We don't want middle aged WASPs playing with themselves.

But we do have a health and safty issue to consider as well.

Plus we don't want the old buggers scoring a duck because of a rush of blood to an older member.

Imagine ole Pattaya Pat post-104736-0-48772100-1337664282_thumb. in a stand with Australians Lara Bingle post-104736-0-11356800-1337664334_thumb.

We wouldn't want him to hit a rash shot just to get off the mark and down her end.

Just a note to those less knowledgeable, that is actually a photo of Australia's famous Lara Bingle taken at the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) ... some sort of promotion for the game.

EDIT:- Quiet nod to SC ...

Edited by David48

Well, we've used up a few batters but have made it to 647 for a few.

Did anyone score a duck?

Got to the crease, faced up and out first delivery?

Then that long slow walk back to the keyboard ... post-104736-0-09716400-1337658939.gif

No ducks.....May have been an odd single....wink.png

Me advice on bowling might not be the best.......sad.png but when it comes to batting,

well its up there with cheer squad coaching.thumbsup.gif

Should it be played in the spirit of the relationships we currently see in Thailand?

Plus we don't want the old buggers scoring a duck because of a rush of blood to an older member.

Imagine ole Pattaya Pat post-104736-0-48772100-1337664282_thumb. in a stand with Australians Lara Bingle post-104736-0-11356800-1337664334_thumb.

We wouldn't want him to hit a rash shot just to get off the mark and down her end.

Just a note to those less knowledgeable, that is actually a photo of Australia's famous Lara Bingle taken at the SCG (Sydney Cricket Ground) ... some sort of promotion for the game.

Well I'm glad we got off the topic of drinking sensibly, or the whole thread would have been doomed.

The Thailand v China ladies' cricket from the Asian games didn't have any Lara Bingles, by the way.

In fact, I didn't recognise any of them...

SC

Does this five day drink fest need to be supervised by Moderators?

Harry........it's only coffeewink.png .....you know the rules in Aus...."No Alcohal"sad.png

Can I just say that, when you were a the crease, I was dumfounded.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Every ball you faced you hit at least a "6".....keep up the good work..clap2.gif

Well I'm glad we got off the topic of drinking sensibly, or the whole thread would have been doomed.

The Thailand v China ladies' cricket from the Asian games didn't have any Lara Bingles, by the way.

In fact, I didn't recognise any of them...

SC

Yep.....I knew it......When I saw your driving I thought.....SC needs some new glasses.

I will get a new pair too you.....second hand but no scratches...smile.png

Edited by kevjohn

Bingle hey?

Bingle hey?

GIYF ... Google 'Lara Bingle Cricket' ... BookMan, oh ye of little faith!

EDIT:- Forgot to mention also have the 'Images' bit selected in the Google search.

Edited by David48

Bingle hey?

GIYF ... Google 'Lara Bingle Cricket' ... BookMan, oh ye of little faith!

Oh i don't doubt it is Bingle at all...and thanks for providing the photo. I had not seen that before.

Another problem I see is that cricket has Players and it has Gentlemen. I know Thailand has many plyers but does it have enough gentlemen?

With gentlemen like you and me, setting such a good example through this noble game, then I can only see Thailand increase their gentlemen quota by 25,000,000 give or take 1...coffee1.gif

Edited by kevjohn