Thailand Needs Cricket

Can anyone think of any problems in Thailand that cannot be fixed by cricket?

I fell down the bloody stairs yesterday..

Sent using my left hand cos my right is in a sling..please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Sorry to hear that

On the positive side now is the perfect time to practice your batting swing; practicing batting one-handed is the key to avoiding using too much bottom hand (and risk hitting the ball in the air) but when your right hand is not in a sling, it is always difficult to resist using both hands [My bold; SC]

That applies to so much more than batting...

I did everything was possible to avoid that connection... I added the word "batting" between "practicing" and "one-handed" and I said "hitting the ball in the air" instead of "getting caught"...

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone think of any problems in Thailand that cannot be fixed by cricket?

Sent using my left hand cos my right is in a sling..please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Sorry to hear that

On the positive side now is the perfect time to practice your batting swing; practicing batting one-handed is the key to avoiding using too much bottom hand (and risk hitting the ball in the air) but when your right hand is not in a sling, it is always difficult to resist using both hands [My bold; SC]

SC I don't understand........ I hope this coaching job is not getting to me. sad.png

Sorry to hear that

SC I don't understand........ I hope this coaching job is not getting to me. sad.png

One is often tempted to use two hands where one would do - resulting in twice the errors, twice the mistakes.

Voting, for example, or crossword puzzles... or handling the cheerleaders

Having said that, many of us are willing to go the extra mile to help out single mothers in Thailand...

Such a comment could well entice a whole new sub-group of the TV membership into this thread

By the way, I think it could be non-PC to have a single cheerleaders squad.

Having said that, many of us are willing to go the extra mile to help out single mothers in Thailand...

SC

I don't want to sound nasty or upset you but, why now,after all the hard work and organisational skills that

Plopmeister and myself have put into the selecting and coaching of this FANTASTIC Cheer Squad, does every other Tom, Dick Harry and Streetcowboy want to get involved.

I know that every one means well but as they say.....Too many cooks spoil the......... well everthingermm.gif .

SC

On the subject of single mothers (the high number of which is a problem in Thailand often referred to on this forum), cricket could obviously help in a number of ways...

1. most immediately and practically, through the introduction of after school nets practice, allowing single mothers to work a full day and not having to spend money on childcare or sending their children to live with grandparents (leading to other more serious psychological issues for both the mother and child)

2. to the extent that single mothers are caused by boredom among the younger generation, cricket could also provide them with something to do (as an alternative outlet for young men to let off steam)

3. as already mentioned, cricket is likely to lead to better health and safety awareness (which is likely to lead to greater condom use)

4. anyone who participates in, or appreciates, cricket will understand the importance of building partnerships in the context of an innings (and more specifically of the junior batting partner taking his responsibility serious to hold the partnership together even if he doesn't enjoy batting)... this understanding could well extend to men being more committed to relationships with the mother of their child

5. finally and most importantly, experienced batsmen know that you will often encounter some enticing but wayward balls (metaphor for women of the same variety) that are best left alone

SC

I don't want to sound nasty or upset you but, why now,after all the hard work and organisational skills that

Plopmeister and myself have put into the selecting and coaching of this FANTASTIC Cheer Squad, does every other Tom, Dick Harry and Streetcowboy want to get involved.

I know that every one means well but as they say.....Too many cooks spoil the......... well everthingermm.gif .

I believe plopmeister has one hand in a sling - possibly a singapore sling...

Do you think he can handle the lager squad of single cheerleaders single-handed? I'm worried things might get out of hand.

Anyway, you seem to have matters in hand,

I'll stick to driving the coach then.

SC

SC

On the subject of single mothers (the high number of which is a problem in Thailand often referred to on this forum), cricket could obviously help in a number of ways...

1. most immediately and practically, through the introduction of after school nets practice, allowing single mothers to work a full day and not having to spend money on childcare or sending their children to live with grandparents (leading to other more serious psychological issues for both the mother and child)

2. to the extent that single mothers are caused by boredom among the younger generation, cricket could also provide them with something to do (as an alternative outlet for young men to let off steam)

3. as already mentioned, cricket is likely to lead to better health and safety awareness (which is likely to lead to greater condom use)

4. anyone who participates in, or appreciates, cricket will understand the importance of building partnerships in the context of an innings (and more specifically of the junior batting partner taking his responsibility serious to hold the partnership together even if he doesn't enjoy batting)... this understanding could well extend to men being more committed to relationships with the mother of their child

5. finally and most importantly, experienced batsmen know that you will often encounter some enticing but wayward balls (metaphor for women of the same variety) that are best left alone

I wish (1), (2), (3), (4), and (5) had been explaind to me, while I was at school,as i would of had a totally different view of this game of hiting a ball with a bat and then trying to run between 6 sticks 3 one end and 3 the other end of a 22 yard (?) lenght of dirt.ermm.gif

SC

I believe plopmeister has one hand in a sling - possibly a singapore sling...

Do you think he can handle the lager squad of single cheerleaders single-handed? I'm worried things might get out of hand.

Anyway, you seem to have matters in hand,

I'll stick to driving the coach then.

SC

Yes ...do agree that he only has the use of one hand but hay..... that give me a doube advantage.wink.png

And thanks for that matter about driving the coach. I'm glad that you are going to stick with it.clap2.gif

Edited by kevjohn

We're going to want a PR man - someone who's good with spin.

Can I propose theBlether?

The only trouble is - he's from the East End of Glasgow, so he might not do too well in front of the cameras

kenwhitameenanat,yeraj?

So long as he's subtitled, we'll be fine

SC

Perhaps to give him more credibility, we could get his words spoken by an actor. I think Gerry Adams' man is still looking for a new job...

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC

I wish (1), (2), (3), (4), and (5) had been explaind to me, while I was at school,as i would of had a totally different view of this game of hiting a ball with a bat and then trying to run between 6 sticks 3 one end and 3 the other end of a 22 yard (?) lenght of dirt.ermm.gif

That "dirt" is the wicket, and those "sticks" are stumps

...and you don't need to run all the way to the stumps (sticks), just to the popping crease

SC

That "dirt" is the wicket, and those "sticks" are stumps

...and you don't need to run all the way to the stumps (sticks), just to the popping crease

Popping crease ..........My, I'm still learning.whistling.gif

This popping crease........now does that have anything to do with "Winnie"sad.png

Maybe our coach driver can help out here.wink.png

Edited by kevjohn

[Popping crease ..........My, I'm still learning.whistling.gif

popping crease: a line four feet (1.22 metres) in front of and parallel to the line of the stumps, within which the batsman must keep the bat or one foot grounded to avoid the risk of being stumped or run out.

http://oxforddiction.../popping crease

Thanks for that.

Now I know why I was allways called out when playing cricket at boarding school. See........never too old to learn.smile.png

Those Marist Fathers.....Oh!

Edited by kevjohn

tutsiwarrior ...

a certain someone eek sad.jpg might be tempted to play in the team ...

mumble, grumble...long legged scottish women and any perversions that they may possess is a whole new kettle of fish...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Bump

Hay!.... were is our captain and manager.

Maybe our manager is over on that other important thread about Sunday the 13th May but the captain...?

I hven't seen head nor tail of him.ermm.gif

Thread update:

So far we have agreed on the following areas where cricket can help Thailand:

1. better driving and road safety awareness (including for pedestrians)

2. an end to the "face" culture

3. an end to the "up to you" culture

4. better building / construction standards

5. a reduction in scam artists

6. fairer police

7. an end to Bangkok's flood problems

8. less bumpy roads upcountry

9. more tolerance for sunshine

10. less single mothers

We also discussed (admittedly without reaching unanimous agreement) that fashion standards could be improved if the cricket jumper became more mainstream attire among the young Bangkok trendsetters, but I would say fashion standards are not a particular problem in Thailand, so we can leave that aside

Can anyone think of any problems that cannot be solved by cricket?

Thread update:

So far we have agreed on the following areas where cricket can help Thailand:

1. better driving and road safety awareness (including for pedestrians)

2. an end to the "face" culture

3. an end to the "up to you" culture

4. better building / construction standards

5. a reduction in scam artists

6. fairer police

7. an end to Bangkok's flood problems

8. less bumpy roads upcountry

9. more tolerance for sunshine

10. less single mothers

We also discussed (admittedly without reaching unanimous agreement) that fashion standards could be improved if the cricket jumper became more mainstream attire among the young Bangkok trendsetters, but I would say fashion standards are not a particular problem in Thailand, so we can leave that aside

Can anyone think of any problems that cannot be solved by cricket?

I don't know about the white cricket jumper but what about the rest of the uniform.

When you see the uniform for our cheer squad, I do feel that singlets, shorts and flip flops just don't come up to scratch.

I'd feel more comfy with whites and a tie in thai colours. Just my thought.ermm.gif

Edited by kevjohn

I nominate theblether as the captain of the TV team. thumbsup.gif

I think Medium Paced Bowler would be a better choice

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You posted while I was making my last post but how do you think Medium Paced Bowler

would handle the coaching of our 3rd umpire.giggle.gif

I don't know anything about all these different cricket term.

I hear them while all the mates are discussing cricket

over a beer and I sipp my coffee.

Edited by kevjohn

As a cricket lover (who abominates Sixes and T20 as aberrations of the game), I wonder whether soccer could sustain such a stream of light-hearted, frivolous drivel? We must have something that I missed! I suppose what it is is that most of the posters will do anything rather than have to watch a real, pukka five-day Test Match.

As a cricket lover (who abominates Sixes and T20 as aberrations of the game), I wonder whether soccer could sustain such a stream of light-hearted, frivolous drivel? We must have something that I missed! I suppose what it is is that most of the posters will do anything rather than have to watch a real, pukka five-day Test Match.

O! No 5 days? People must be out of their minds but then again every one to their own.

Me ....I like being cheer squad coach.

O! No 5 days? People must be out of their minds but then again every one to their own.

Kevjohn relegated to the IPL. Real cricket doesn't have cheer squads.

IPL Please explain. As said in post 265, I know nothing. But i still can't get over that 5 day thing.

IPL Please explain. As said in post 265, I know nothing. But i still can't get over that 5 day thing.

Indian Premier League; it actually has cheerleaders.

You're a good Aussie, Kevjohn; talks big about cricket, but can't play it. Good on you, mate.