Beer In Thailand

Seismic

For pure flavour I don't think you can go past Heineken. Not that I want to drink it every day, but when the other beers start to taste a bit bland, I have a Heineken to wake up the taste buds. Pity they don't have the Heineken Dark here. Just about any ice-cold beer on a stinking hot day tastes like nectar to me.

Heineken is tramps piss.

Popular with MC-Clubs, especially those wearing vests with silly symbols. tongue.png

Hey, I drink it because I like the taste, don't label people. It's also been the world's most popular beer at least 22 years in a row,so there must be a lot of MC members out there.

Heineken, the lager produced by the Dutch brewing company of the same name, was the most popular beer of 2009, with sales of 11 million hectolitres (1100,000,000 litres). It claimed the title for the 22nd year in a row.

Big Mac is the world's largest selling burger.....

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't heineken brewed under licence in Thailand? I find that it tastes like soap and unlike Heineken from Holland...undrinkable!

For pure flavour I don't think you can go past Heineken. Not that I want to drink it every day, but when the other beers start to taste a bit bland, I have a Heineken to wake up the taste buds. Pity they don't have the Heineken Dark here. Just about any ice-cold beer on a stinking hot day tastes like nectar to me.

Thats exactly my opinion of HK in Thailand - an odd soapy aftertaste.

Whats wrong with local Chang ? the big bottles last a'while and at 7 or 7.5% it has a hell of a kick - bit like Carlsberg Special Brew back in the day.

Beer Lao ain't bad either - light and dark varieties - but can be difficult to track down.

well, it's about the same with Chang, Singha and Leo...drinking beer in Thailand is a losing proposition...I stick to the vodka and orange juice...

I tell you what I have started to do during this hot spell... I splash a small amount of "Queen" lemon squash ( Tesco Lotus 46 Baht a bottle) into the bottom of a glass and pour in ice cold Chang Export.

It looks and tastes bloody excellent...

all right, that sounds like a good one! I wondered about using V8 vegetable juice for the same purpose...gotta try it sometime...

the triumph of western ingenuity!

lemme get this right - you're suggesting mixing beer and V8?

i'm intrigued..... i recall when i worked in the states some years ago guys in louisianna recommending tomato juice and beer.

what proportions do you mix it?

just enough too lightly redden the beer.

works best with motts clamato, but tomato juice will do in a pinch.

Granted you have to be a total <deleted>' alecart to even consider it, but its not too shabby.

FYI: give me a heineken, carlsberg, tiger or even beer lao any day over that thai sludge they call beer -- I don't really care if you want to swill 6 leos a day, just don't expect me agree with you or tell me that heineken is flavourless. At least it is consistent.

Don't give a rat's about the biggest grossing movie or the biggest selling hamburger, I still like Heineken, and I'm not alone.

no, you are not. the green bottle and myself have been friends for many years now. It seems perfect for the climate to me.

I must admitt that when Heinekr@p first appeared in my local back in UK ( 1964 or thereabouts ) it wasn't a bad drink but then we had no other lagers to compare it with ! Then along came Carling Black Label, Fosters and XXXX etc. Still Heinekr@p came out on top ! Well, comparing it to Fosters etc. I'd rather drink Leo ! Anyway, even Heinekr@p started to go bad and the breweries realised we needed something half decent so - Stella Artois, Becks. Kronanberg (sp) and Carlsberg Export. There were others, just cannot remember the names. For me, bitter and mild started to lose taste. I drank lager for a few years until I realised that nearly every brand tasted the same and it wasn't as good as it used to be ! I still enjoy a "good" pint of lager but my needs went back to what I had been brought up with - Marstons Pedigree . I know there are other good beers around the UK but I came from Burton-on-Trent area and Pedigree was my local drink. I've found it in cans in LOS and if it's poured into a glass and allowed to settle for a few minutes it's nearly as god as I can remember. Unfortunately, it doesn't touch the sides ( a UK saying for drinkers ) so I need a 6 pack to start to enjoy. I know, I digress but the moral to all this is that lager is crap in hot climates and cheap lager is crap anywhere !!

• Like 1

Don't give a rat's about the biggest grossing movie or the biggest selling hamburger, I still like Heineken, and I'm not alone.

no, you are not. the green bottle and myself have been friends for many years now. It seems perfect for the climate to me.

Geez, thanks! I have one supporter at least. That's besides the other 100 million or so Heineken drinkers.

I'll drink a Heinkien from time to time...not my first choice but it's not a bad beer. When it comes to Thai beer about the only one I can really drink is Singha, the rest just don't work for me. When I am feeling cheap I'll drink Chang, but I can only drink two or three.

Of course nothing compares to drinking beer in America, no matter what I'm in the mood for I can find something amazing to drink smile.png

Edited by akspace
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried SIngha or Chang light ? If so are they more pleasurable to drink ? I couldn't buy them due to the no buying in the afternoon thing.

Singha Light is okay but hard to find in many places.In the Lotus stores i have visited you can only buy it in single bottles or cans.They wont sell it by the carton.

Of course nothing compares to drinking beer in America, no matter what I'm in the mood for I can find something amazing to drink smile.png

You are quite right !! Nothing in the world compares to American beer !!

And a f*cking good job it doesn't or we'd all be praising Thai beer and Leo in particular !!

disagree 100% an Aussie beer is the way to go.

And a f*cking good job it doesn't or we'd all be praising Thai beer and Leo in particular !!

If you are referring to most of the mass produced Americam stuff then I violently agree! However the US also has some smaller micro breweries that produce some interesting beers.

If you are referring to most of the mass produced Americam stuff then I violently agree! However the US also has some smaller micro breweries that produce some interesting beers.

Lets see, this week I've had a nice 9.4% IPA, brewed in San Francisco. I had an amazing stout brewed in Portland. I had a good lager brewed in Alaska. The list goes on...

Really no country in the world can compete on variaty and quality...

But this is a topic about Thai beer, so I'm going to stop de-railing the thread. When do you think we will see a good stout being brewed in Thailand? :)

Thailand has its very first Cider brewed in Thailand by Thais ( not expats )

Sweet and Dry around 90thb / 100thb a bottle in the bars and tastes as good as the rest at two / three times the price

Agreed with Boags Premium 1st choice.

Has anyone tried SIngha or Chang light ? If so are they more pleasurable to drink ? I couldn't buy them due to the no buying in the afternoon thing.

Singha Light is okay but hard to find in many places.In the Lotus stores i have visited you can only buy it in single bottles or cans.They wont sell it by the carton.

sad.png I only saw it for the first time this week in a Tesco express sold by the bottle. How long has it been sold for ? I wonder if Makro might stock it soon if it's new.

I can't see it being sold in Cowboy and Nana due to the profits from bar fines plummeting. giggle.gif

sad.png I only saw it for the first time this week in a Tesco express sold by the bottle. How long has it been sold for ? I wonder if Makro might stock it soon if it's new.

I can't see it being sold in Cowboy and Nana due to the profits from bar fines plummeting. giggle.gif

At least for three years.

At least for three years.

Oh well it looks like it's more exciting Leo or Chang Export then. sad.png

The Thai beer I liked most was Singha Gold. For me it had a smooth taste and was not mind blowingly strong, at about from memory 4.6 %. Unfortunatly it was withdrawn from production a few years ago.

So now I manage on Chang, or Leo as the mood takes me, and whatever the beer tastes like, life in los is far, far better than Europe or America at the moment.

Heineken and beer in the same post. Give it a rest. If I could get a decent better down here, I'd be happy.

As Frank says...and I have quoted this before...."Heineken, F%&c that $h#t, Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!"

It is overated isn't it.

Agreed with Boags Premium 1st choice.

A Carlton Cold man myself but here in Thailand I have to settle for V.B

Archa beer is disgusting, it tastes a little like strawberries, Chang is way way better, as is Singha

Rankings would be -

1: Chang

2: Chang Export

3: Chang Draft

4: Singha

5: Heineken.

6: Tiger

7: Tap Water

8: River Water

9: Raw Sewage

10:Beer Leo

11:Archa

• Like 1

Think you know beer? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Beer_Festival

There are those that will attempt to "tick" each beer over the 4 days of the festival. That is a 1/2 pint of each. I doubt any of them finish. The more serious will have been "ticking" over the course of the year and will know which gaps to fill.

My in-laws are "tickers", hence my arm-chair enthusiasm (and that I really like a decent beer).

I don't believe that any of the beers mentioned to date on this thread have been near this except, maybe, Bombadier. Doesn't mean that they're not good. You just have to acknowledge that Mont Clair has to be the biggest selling red wine in Thailand and we all know that we wouldn't drink it if we had a seriously competitive environment.