Beer In Thailand

Seismic

My wife bought me a case of Archa beer, just to try it....If there is ever a case for Thailand being a dysfunctional country I suggest that the sale of Archa beer wins the argument.

• Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, i like it. it gives a fairly strong hangover.

my beer of choice is chang draught in a bottle. crisp, no after taste and very little hangover.

red cock with orange juice is good. for the more ambitious tv'ers there is black cock which is also nice with orange. w00t.gif

p.s red/black cock is a rice alcohol drink that tastes very much like vodka and not what your dirty mind thought it was when you read it first. Bendix, sorry to disappoint. biggrin.png

If you happen to look on the side of the box it came in, it won a gold medal at the Australian International Beer Tasting Awards in 2007.

Just sayingwhistling.gif

Maybe they have different requirements for what is good beer down under?

;-)

well, it's about the same with Chang, Singha and Leo...drinking beer in Thailand is a losing proposition...I stick to the vodka and orange juice...

normally buy a slab of V.B from Top's

Edited by chooka

Archa, Chang, Tiger, Cheers, Leo. Tried them all.

I prefer the taste of Chang but sometimes a few can blow your brains out - not always a bad thing w00t.gif

Archa tasted OK to me, as does Tiger.. Leo is boring and tasteless as is Cheers.

I'd drink vodka every night but I refuse to pay the corkage fee here in Pattaya. Massive rip off and makes drinking a few bottles a week very expensive. crying.gif

well, it's about the same with Chang, Singha and Leo...drinking beer in Thailand is a losing proposition...I stick to the vodka and orange juice...

If you try the cheapest wines available, you find some horrible one but some that are OK.....an alternative to vodka.

I tell you what I have started to do during this hot spell... I splash a small amount of "Queen" lemon squash ( Tesco Lotus 46 Baht a bottle) into the bottom of a glass and pour in ice cold Chang Export.

It looks and tastes bloody excellent...

Edited by plopmeister

Archa, Chang, Tiger, Cheers, Leo. Tried them all.

I prefer the taste of Chang but sometimes a few can blow your brains out - not always a bad thing w00t.gif

Archa tasted OK to me, as does Tiger.. Leo is boring and tasteless as is Cheers.

I'd drink vodka every night but I refuse to pay the corkage fee here in Pattaya. Massive rip off and makes drinking a few bottles a week very expensive. crying.gif

I have found the good thing about Leo ( and indeed Hong Thong) is that my wife knows that I find them totally undrinkable. Being as they are the only drinks on offer at the meals before, during and after village parties ( Boys to temple, marriages, deaths and 100 days after death) they provide a convenient excuse not to attend when I don't feel like it.......and when I DO feel like it I bring my own half bottle of Sangsom...

The range of beers available in Thailand is poor, I get a bigger range in one pub in England, so this is one of the downsides of living in Thailand but we have to balance this with the prices the beer in England is often 3 times the price!

We all have different tastes so what suits one does not suit another. Archa is ok once in a while, Chang Export is ok as well and Chang draught at 4.2% is good if you are having a session. As I only drink one or two a day I will put with the situation as Thailand has the overal better quality of life for me.

I will remember a pint of Batemans XXXB and Adnams Broadside and drift away now.

• Like 1

Not keen on Archa myself, of the locally brewed beers I go for Tiger , Chang Export or, Leo if pushed, in that order.

On a site reviewing Thai beers I think the following comment sums up Archa beer perfectly....

"For me it was benign of any real flavor and at one point I even mused that the horse wasn’t only representing the beer but also supplying its principal ingredient." rolleyes.gif

The range of locally brewed beers is primarily poor because they are all lagers.

The range of beers available in Thailand is poor, I get a bigger range in one pub in England, so this is one of the downsides of living in Thailand but we have to balance this with the prices the beer in England is often 3 times the price!

We all have different tastes so what suits one does not suit another. Archa is ok once in a while, Chang Export is ok as well and Chang draught at 4.2% is good if you are having a session. As I only drink one or two a day I will put with the situation as Thailand has the overal better quality of life for me.

I will remember a pint of Batemans XXXB and Adnams Broadside and drift away now.

4 weeks from now and I will be back in Blighty for 3 weeks. I will be spending my time in:

The White Horse, Hedgerley - CAMRA Pub of the Year on numerous occassions

The Masons and The Fountainhead (at this one for the beer festival...boo hoo!), Branscombe

and, of course,

The Nobody Inn, Doddiscombeleigh (to make sure I drink enough fine single malt...the wife and I had our honeymoon in the Nobody Inn)

Most of you will be wondering what all this means, but Exeter has just booked some seriously expensive tickets without thinking!

Not keen on Archa myself, of the locally brewed beers I go for Tiger , Chang Export or, Leo if pushed, in that order.

On a site reviewing Thai beers I think the following comment sums up Archa beer perfectly....

"For me it was benign of any real flavor and at one point I even mused that the horse wasn’t only representing the beer but also supplying its principal ingredient." rolleyes.gif

The range of locally brewed beers is primarily poor because they are all lagers.

I hear that the principal ingredient actually comes from the local cat haven.

I tell you what I have started to do during this hot spell... I splash a small amount of "Queen" lemon squash ( Tesco Lotus 46 Baht a bottle) into the bottom of a glass and pour in ice cold Chang Export.

It looks and tastes bloody excellent...

all right, that sounds like a good one! I wondered about using V8 vegetable juice for the same purpose...gotta try it sometime...

the triumph of western ingenuity!