Where In Phuket Sells Real Pepper Spray?

byrne1916

Hello,

Today I had a bad experience with a bunch of soi dogs, and I need some pepper spray.

I had a big stick, and ended up fighting with them... This is not the first time either.

Where I live there is alot of dogs, but there is a certain bunch I want to stop attacking me.

Can anyone please recommend where I can buy real, and not out of date pepper spray or

CG gas? The more power and range the better.

I used the search function, but any threads I found went way off topic, and nobody could answer the question originally asked. Please post if you can help me.

Thank you!

Edited by byrne1916

Don't take a stick to soi dogs, or any dog for that matter, it will only serve to attack you. Just go where you want to go, if they approach you continue and make in behaviour very clear to them you will not be attacked.

Don't take a stick to soi dogs, or any dog for that matter, it will only serve to attack you. Just go where you want to go, if they approach you continue and make in behaviour very clear to them you will not be attacked.

I took a stick to some shrimpfarm dogs once, it helps.

guess is just a matter of size.

huuwi

huuwi

No, it is not.

Soi dogs are conditioned to attack anyone carrying a stick, because they get hit all the time by people carrying sticks. Don't carry a stick, and simply approach them confidently and there will be no problems. You may have to shoo them once or twice, but that's it.

I cant imagine trying to use CS gas on dogs....my experiences with CS gas has been very hit and miss quite often resulting in me being momentarily blinded. I can imagine this would give the dogs a good chance to maul me whilst I ran around flailing my arms.

huuwi

No, it is not.

Soi dogs are conditioned to attack anyone carrying a stick, because they get hit all the time by people carrying sticks. Don't carry a stick, and simply approach them confidently and there will be no problems. You may have to shoo them once or twice, but that's it.

i have different experience, hit the leader and all other f.... off

huuwi

No, it is not.

See the OP.

I cant imagine trying to use CS gas on dogs....my experiences with CS gas has been very hit and miss quite often resulting in me being momentarily blinded. I can imagine this would give the dogs a good chance to maul me whilst I ran around flailing my arms.

Your comment is a little confused.

Firstly, CS and CN does not work on dogs due to under-developed tear-ducts and protection by fur. Pepper spray (OC) is an irritant and an inflammatory so does work on animals as well as on people high on PCP. Bear spray is OC but with a higher CNC levels within the OC than that which is designed to be used on humans.

Second, pepper spay is usually sold with liquid propellent, not a vapor. Very little chance of self-contamination unless you spray directly into the wind or use it indoors.

Instead of trying to pepper spray the dogs, which hurts enough on human eyes, why don't you call the soi dog foundation? perhaps they could come and remove the dogs?

I am not real concerned about causing temporary pain in the eyes of a dog that is trying to attack me, and I am an animal lover.

I asked the SDF about this once and they explained to me that neither they nor PAWS are allowed to permanently remove dogs, even aggressive ones. I also had a discussion with my landlord about this who is a vet with the Phuket Livestock Department. Only government entities such as your local OrBorTor, PPOA, or the Public Health and Environment Department etc. can remove overly aggressive dogs. If they bite someone they will euthanize them, but the general practice of euthanization of unwanted strays was stopped several years ago after people complained as it goes against Buddhist beliefs.

http://www.phuketgaz...575&Search=dogs

http://www.phuketgaz...465&Search=dogs

http://www.phuketgaz...Search=soi dogs

Edited by NomadJoe

First off thank you to stevenl for keeping this on topic, I see alot of threads here wander off the topic.

@NomadJoe - Thanks for that reply, it's nice to know where I stand legally, if I do get bitten!

I will check out the places you guys mentioned, and test them out. I'm ex-army and know all about pepper

sprays etc I've been exposed to enough of it now, and I'm not afraid of getting hit with any myself.

I just really want to scare these dogs just once so they know not to bother me again. If I could buy a pepper

ball gun I'd walk up to them tomorrow and shoot them with it, and just make a point to leave me alone.

Nice things like pretending to pick up a stone, or vinegar I just don't trust as a long term strategy. Since

coming to Phuket I've given up running because of dogs, so I think a powerful spray will send a quick message

home. I also think that if more people did this, then maybe the dogs would have more of a fear of humans.

I might also try out the wasp spray, thanks for that tip! I like dogs, and feed the dogs near me, but for some

reason, even the dogs I feed, I've seen just attack various people for no reason at all, very strange to see.

Anyway I will report back when I've done some testing, and thanks alot to all the people who took the time to reply!

With thanks to member itshothere for bringing this thread to my attention.

I am in a similar situation with regard to dogs and I use a crutch to get about. I'm not convinced that having a stick would induce the dogs to be more agressive. During the day the dogs just look up then go back to sleep though I have the crutch, but at night this in not the case. A friend, not it Thailand, suggested I take a bag of dog biscuits along with me and over time they will get more friendly but I don't think being seen as a source of food is a wise move.

<snip> Nice things like pretending to pick up a stone, or vinegar I just don't trust as a long term strategy. Since

coming to Phuket I've given up running because of dogs, so I think a powerful spray will send a quick message

home. I also think that if more people did this, then maybe the dogs would have more of a fear of humans. <snip>

The perceived aggressive behaviour of the soi dogs is out of fear for humans. Your pepper spray, or other people's sticks, only make it worse.

• Like 1

<snip> Nice things like pretending to pick up a stone, or vinegar I just don't trust as a long term strategy. Since

home. I also think that if more people did this, then maybe the dogs would have more of a fear of humans. <snip>

The perceived aggressive behaviour of the soi dogs is out of fear for humans. Your pepper spray, or other people's sticks, only make it worse.

But at least pepper spray will stop a dog in it's tracks during an individual attack. It did the times I have used it or seen it used on dogs. That is why USPS workers carry it.

Sorry I'm not much help with your question OP. Seems I have contributed to the thread going off topic yet again. (I recall the thread you are talking about) I do remember seeing new pepper spray sold in Thailand but I can't remember where. I would say try the vendors on beach road in Patong,but your comment about not wanting it to be out-of-date indicates to me you are already aware of them. The patong street vendors seem to be selling army surplus and much of the potency of OC is gone after 2 years. I would try any of the big open air markets that are regularly held around the island. The one on Thanon Kwang Rd which runs between the Chaoh Fa's north of Wat Chalong is a good one.

First off thank you to stevenl for keeping this on topic, I see alot of threads here wander off the topic.

@NomadJoe - Thanks for that reply, it's nice to know where I stand legally, if I do get bitten!

I will check out the places you guys mentioned, and test them out. I'm ex-army and know all about pepper

sprays etc I've been exposed to enough of it now, and I'm not afraid of getting hit with any myself.

I just really want to scare these dogs just once so they know not to bother me again. If I could buy a pepper

ball gun I'd walk up to them tomorrow and shoot them with it, and just make a point to leave me alone.

Nice things like pretending to pick up a stone, or vinegar I just don't trust as a long term strategy. Since

home. I also think that if more people did this, then maybe the dogs would have more of a fear of humans.

I might also try out the wasp spray, thanks for that tip! I like dogs, and feed the dogs near me, but for some

reason, even the dogs I feed, I've seen just attack various people for no reason at all, very strange to see.

Anyway I will report back when I've done some testing, and thanks alot to all the people who took the time to reply!

can i ask WHERE in phuket do you live? you mentioned you have given up running because of dogs...i find that a bit odd as there are lots and lots of places in phuket to run where there are NO DOGS. in all of the years i have lived here, and all of the streets and alleys i have wandered, i've never once had a problem with the soi dogs. i am not discrediting your statement or your urge to want to purchase pepper spray, just would be interested to know where it is on the island that you live that has such a need for spraying aggressive soi dogs.

can i ask WHERE in phuket do you live? you mentioned you have given up running because of dogs...i find that a bit odd as there are lots and lots of places in phuket to run where there are NO DOGS. in all of the years i have lived here, and all of the streets and alleys i have wandered, i've never once had a problem with the soi dogs. i am not discrediting your statement or your urge to want to purchase pepper spray, just would be interested to know where it is on the island that you live that has such a need for spraying aggressive soi dogs.

Even the beaches have dogs! I'd run on the beach, but I've seen joggers on Nai Harn even being attacked. You should only run on beaches once a week anyway, so it's not a long term solution.

The last incident with those dogs was going up big buddha hill... when your driving up it's not bad, but try walking / running and you'll see alot more dogs come out. 90% are fine, just a few bad eggs which are very vicious.

I think the pier is good to jog on, and also Kata beach, but as someone who runs long distance (I've done marathon) I find it really frustrating and repetitive. The jogging is not my big concern (that's my own problem), just the dam_n dogs who attack me, and restrict where I can go.

Even the beaches have dogs! I'd run on the beach, but I've seen joggers on Nai Harn even being attacked. You should only run on beaches once a week anyway, so it's not a long term solution.

The last incident with those dogs was going up big buddha hill... when your driving up it's not bad, but try walking / running and you'll see alot more dogs come out. 90% are fine, just a few bad eggs which are very vicious.

I think the pier is good to jog on, and also Kata beach, but as someone who runs long distance (I've done marathon) I find it really frustrating and repetitive. The jogging is not my big concern (that's my own problem), just the dam_n dogs who attack me, and restrict where I can go.

I've lived in Nai Harn for four years, and the soi dog population has dwindled in the last two. Have you tried running around Nai Harn lake? I usually go in the evenings after work, around 19:30, and it's quiet. Even the few times I have taken my puppy along on his leash, there have been no soi dogs around.

I'd also recommend you try Suan Luang park near Villa Dowroong (Chao Fa East) on the way to Phuket town. Lots of active people there, and very few dogs. This time of the year, the Rawai beach road is good to run down as is Chalong Pier.

I really am sorry you have such a problem with dogs wanting to attack you - perhaps you should change your deodorant or cologne. Ha! I am just kidding! My best advice to you is to remain calm and carry on ... don't kick them, throw rocks at them, or club them. Take a deep breath, and ignore the aggressive ones. It's worked for me over the years on rare encounters, and I hope it works for you, too.

huuwi

No, it is not.

Yes, you are right. If you hit the leader (normally the one in the front, unlike to human wars, were the leaders sit in their comfort zone, miles away and making plans) on the snout (some yelping should be heard from the victim) and the rest of the pack should run away with their tails between their legs. smile.png

And the yelping from the leader dog is important, as it sends a signal to the rest that the fight is over.

Edited by Semper

What part of Phuket aren't there aggressive dogs. I have encountered this same problem in numerous locations around southern Phuket whilst jogging. Also had dogs chase the Ninja many times. Particularly on Patak Rd in Chalong in front of 7-11 opposite Whalen. The louder big bike seemed to stimulate them into attack mode, although I have seen those same dogs chase little bikes too. If they are on the exhaust side, a quick redline with the aftermarket exhaust turns them away with probably ears ringing. smile.png

As for jogging, it's the running that seems to stimulate them. Try jogging down the soi next to fisherman way/deli on Vichit road to the beach access there. I call it Soi Barking Dog. Several houses have fenced in yards and have 2-4 dogs that come tear-assing across the yard in total kill mode. I always hope the gates are closed so they can't get out. Once last year while jogging in Kata I was so sure I was going to get bitten by a charging dog actually went into full on fight or flight mode. My baser instinct knew that running would not help, so I got into low fighting stance and cocked my fist. I'm sure I looked silly and it sounds silly now, but the dog pulled up just short of my reach barking wildly. I walked backwards until I was a safe distance away. Some dogs are clearly in protect mode protecting the house which feeds them in order to keep them around as security, but sadly the residents typically do absolutely nothing else to care for them. I was glad to discover apparently no soi dogs around where I just moved.

. You should only run on beaches once a week anyway,

Really. Why is that?

Edited by NomadJoe