Flooding Again This Year?

ruddy2000

Not only they have not done anything against flood but higher than 4 floors buildings are built left right and center in BKK this year.

They said it makes the city sink but everyone is after quick cash here ...

If they don't have floods they deserve it

i dont understand this post ,any of it .........

I think what he's saying is:

- They haven't done anything about the floods.

- They are building lots of tall buildings in Bangkok.

- The buildings are heavy.

- The heavy buildings are making Bangkok sink

- People want money.

- They don't deserve to have floods.

Although I'm guessing he got the last sentence wrong.

I think you can blame that on bad infrastructure and the politicians inability to figure it out. Bkk doesn't need have a stockpile of sandbags which is just going to be distributed when it's too late. It's what is under ground that needs to be changed to prevent it from happening.

its not even that simple......this problem is way bigger than they can deal with

much of bkk has been built up in areas that are were once huge plains to let the water drain naturally

these decisiions go way back before this or the last government but the guys got rich and left future generations

with a pile of shit water to clear up

It's been much too late for a good couple of generations.

In particular, the traditional and natural flood plains that make up a greater percentage of the central plain.

Filling in age old klongs and building over the landscape is the crux.

Not only they have not done anything against flood but higher than 4 floors buildings are built left right and center in BKK this year.

Aneliane, I'm disappointed, you've usually been relatively rational, what happened? Tall buildings don't make anything sink AFAIK.

The larger point that unrestricted land development fueled by profits is the root of the problem is completely accurate. However since the people that caused the problem aren't the ones made to suffer from the consequences I disagree with the "som nam na". . .

Guys note she's not a native speaker, and we want to keep the ladies coming here so go easy eh?

I'd imagine so. Where I live (Phetchabun), we've had much more rain already than we had in the same period last year, and eventually it will find it's way down to Bangkok. Can't say I've seen much evidence around here of any flood prevention measures being taken.

- People want money.

OK I have to spell out things again

It is no news (I hope ) to anyone that Bangkok being quite near sea level is in danger of being submerged by raising sea level (please don't ask why the sea level is rising) within 50 years

Therefore buildings taller than 4 storeys should not be allowed because they exacerbate the sinking process.

After the flood last year it was pointed out as one of the cause of the flood.

As per usual a blind eye was turned to these warnings

So I maintain,: if they do have flood it would be well deserved

And nowhere in the world is Aneliane a HE, so please learn to read

Edited by aneliane

Aneliane, I'm disappointed, you've usually been relatively rational, what happened? Tall buildings don't make anything sink AFAIK.

The larger point that unrestricted land development fueled by profits is the root of the problem is completely accurate. However since the people that caused the problem aren't the ones made to suffer from the consequences I disagree with the "som nam na". . .

Guys note she's not a native speaker, and we want to keep the ladies coming here so go easy eh?

I beg to differ Bangkok IS sinking under the weight of tall buildings :

Is the Time good enough reference for you ?

Here is the quote:

The city continues to multiply demographically: some 10 million people now live in the center or in the suburbs of this megalopolis. Even the weight of the skyscrapers contributes to the progressive engulfing of Bangkok. The soils descend from 1.5 to 5.3 cm each year, and a big part of the megalopolis is already under sea level.

Links available in PM as I understand they are not allowed here

Edited by aneliane

Here is the quote:

The city continues to multiply demographically: some 10 million people now live in the center or in the suburbs of this megalopolis. Even the weight of the skyscrapers contributes to the progressive engulfing of Bangkok. The soils descend from 1.5 to 5.3 cm each year, and a big part of the megalopolis is already under sea level.

how can anything descend from 1.5cm to 5.3cm per year ?do you ever think about what your writing or just mash the keyboard and click "post " rolleyes.gif

where would you rather be if an epic flood comes to bangkok ? certaintly on the 4th floor or higher i would imagine most people would choose :)

Here is the quote:

how can anything descend from 1.5cm to 5.3cm per year ?do you ever think about what your writing or just mash the keyboard and click "post " rolleyes.gif

where would you rather be if an epic flood comes to bangkok ? certaintly on the 4th floor or higher i would imagine most people would choose smile.png

I am very sorry for you that you cannot understand English from a News Website as reputable as the Time.

May be you should take a few English lessons

Here is the quote:

where would you rather be if an epic flood comes to bangkok ? certaintly on the 4th floor or higher i would imagine most people would choose smile.png

I am very sorry for you that you cannot understand English from a News Website as reputable as the Time.

cheesy.gif

you think bangkok is going to descend upwards by around 4 cm per year and i need english lessons because i said thats rubbish ??

i couls say more about education but id probably upset you ......lets just leave it there ;)

Here is the quote:

cheesy.gif

you think bangkok is going to descend upwards by around 4 cm per year and i need english lessons because i said thats rubbish ??

i couls say more about education but id probably upset you ......lets just leave it there wink.png

It never said upward

I think it's not English lessons you need but glasses.

Some people never admit defeat! coffee1.gif

And - yes Bangkok is descending a few centimeters a year and - Yes high rises exacerbate this process.

This common knowledge, get over it.

Edited by aneliane

I really hope it does flood again and even worse than last time. Sadly, some people (in this case, Thais of all walks) need to be devastated to proper action. Perhaps is most of Bangkok was under water for a month or two, and the Thai economy was completely devastated, then maybe people would force their sh#tty politicians to action.

So, for their sake, I hope they are completely devastated.

I really hope it does flood again and even worse than last time. Sadly, some people (in this case, Thais of all walks) need to be devastated to proper action. Perhaps is most of Bangkok was under water for a month or two, and the Thai economy was completely devastated, then maybe people would force their sh#tty politicians to action.

you obviuosly didn't have to leave your home for two months like I did then.

you obviuosly didn't have to leave your home for two months like I did then.

In fact, we did leave our place for about a month under the threat of the flooding reaching inner Bangkok.

I would understand my own suffering if I'd been flooded as long as it benefitted Thais by kicking them off their lazy <deleted> to do something about this problem. The selfish are typically the ones who 'hope' and 'pray' that things just resolve themselves because they themselves were affected or someone they know or care about was affected.

Sometimes what's good for the situation requires greater sacrifice and even personal sacrifice.

If you love Thailand and Thai people like I do, then you should 'pray' and 'hope' for devastating floods that will motivate them to force their representatives to action.

Edited by xthAi76s

you left your home in ' inner BKK ' under the threat of flooding ? It's not quite the same as being forced out by a load of smelly brown water being in your living room is it . I stand by what I said which is , if you had actually been flooded then you would think otherwise !

you left your home in ' inner BKK ' under the threat of flooding ? It's not quite the same as being forced out by a load of smelly brown water being in your living room is it . I stand by what I said which is , if you had actually been flooded then you would think otherwise !

No, you are wrong; I would not think otherwise. I would however be upset with my situation, but that doesn't change the reality of the need for people to be forced to action. Thais are world-renowned for their lack of action. Please don't deny it. Mob mentality is what works here. Enough people have to be negatively impacted before real, significant change is to take place. Life isn't always neat and pretty with simple solutions.

I can say one thing and i have been flooded too as you know. If it happens again i really hope that the inner of Bangkok will flood too because then maybe they will act. But if it happens again im moving out of this area that is for sure.

- People want money.

How would big buildings make the city sink...??

The foundation construction method here is to drive piles down. Even for our 2 story house the piles are 21meters deep! I can only imagine how deep the piles are for a condo building...

None of the weight of the building is supported on the surface land.

It's like saying if too many people jump up and down in the sea they might cause another tsunami....

Edited by dave111223

I can say one thing and i have been flooded too as you know. If it happens again i really hope that the inner of Bangkok will flood too because then maybe they will act. But if it happens again im moving out of this area that is for sure.

LIving in Inner Bangkok I can only say 'have faith in the various commissions, taskforces, plans and actions (almost forgot this last one) by the current government' Surely there will not be flooding this year wink.png

LIving in Inner Bangkok I can only say 'have faith in the various commissions, taskforces, plans and actions (almost forgot this last one) by the current government' Surely there will not be flooding this year wink.png

If there is no flooding its not because of the action they have undertaken.

How often do once-in-a-lifetime natural disasters occur?

I don't agree it was natural, there was a politician who admitted he ordered the dams to retain the water. It was a fuc_k up combined with extra rain.

• Like 1