Flooding Again This Year?

ruddy2000

Mai mee krai loo anakot - no one can predict the future.

So "evidence" isn't possible.

But no indications based on anything objective that I know of.

IMO last year was a 50-year flood - which of course doesn't rule out another one soon.

And I trust they're being more conservative with the dam retention levels - feel sorry for the farmers in drought. . .

it really is a 50-50 proposition.

given the lack of an efficient system of crystal balls and fortune tellers controlling the country's water and irrigation systems, the only thing that can be guaranteed is, if it doesn't flood, part of the country will experience severe drought somewhere down the line.

I greatly enjoyed having a reason to spend 3 months down at the beach last year, though i am not selfish enough to want to use the same reason 2 years running.

I suspect thai visa is hoping for a repeat performance though, i'm certain numbers went through the roof, though some members did suffer.

I recall robblok was approaching a homicidal rage the longer he was immersed.

Edited by tinfoilhat

I doubt there will be floods that bad again this year. Last year was caused by dam mismanagement in an attempt to take full advantage of the new rice subsidy, they won't be so stupid this year. Probably.

Where did you here the rumours?

Or are you just trying to start them yourself?

From the head of our school telling us to make sure we get 80% of work done in the first somester

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

This sounds more like a ploy to get you to do more work. Say you do the 80% in the first semester. Do you really think they'll let you sit back and only do the other 20% for the rest of the year. My money is on that they'll pile on more knowing that they can.

I heard a rumour that there is a volcano will erupt in Bangkok later this year? Is there any evidence for this, or is it just a rumour?

Seriously OP, what the hell sort of question is that? How can there be rumours about natural events? What do they teach kids in school these days, cos it sure isn't common sense?

• Like 2

#ruddy2000# I'm hearing some nasty rumours that we could be in for the same type of flooding situation here in Bangkok as last October.

Just wondered any evidence in this rumour? Or is it just people predicting the worse?#quote

Mate, rumour is rumour, something unverified that has a lack of confirmation. If there was any evidence it wouldn't be a rumour anymore.

I have just heard some rumours about half metre deep snow around Bangkok. Any evidence?

Whatever the government says then it will be opposite... so yes there will be flooding

I recall when they said "no panic, no hording" than it needed 1 week to arrive.

I doubt there will be floods that bad again this year. Last year was caused by dam mismanagement in an attempt to take full advantage of the new rice subsidy, they won't be so stupid this year. Probably.

Wanna bet?

Tesco Lotus in Bangplad have built what looks, suspiciously, like a flood wall across the front of the property (disguised as a flower bed). This, coupled with the full walls down either side and the flood wall on the river end SHOULD allow them to resist flooding with only a reasonable number of sand-bags. Doesn't mean there will be flooding this year, but does mean that they believe this is a worthwhile investment at this time.

I think you can blame that on bad infrastructure and the politicians inability to figure it out. Bkk doesn't need have a stockpile of sandbags which is just going to be distributed when it's too late. It's what is under ground that needs to be changed to prevent it from happening.

Edited by maxme

I think you can blame that on bad infrastructure and the politicians inability to figure it out. Bkk doesn't need have a stockpile of sandbags which is just going to be distributed when it's too late. It's what is under ground that needs to be changed to prevent it from happening.

its not even that simple......this problem is way bigger than they can deal with

much of bkk has been built up in areas that are were once huge plains to let the water drain naturally

these decisiions go way back before this or the last government but the guys got rich and left future generations

with a pile of shit water to clear up

Where did you here the rumours?

Or are you just trying to start them yourself?

From the head of our school telling us to make sure we get 80% of work done in the first somester

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

This sounds more like a ploy to get you to do more work. Say you do the 80% in the first semester. Do you really think they'll let you sit back and only do the other 20% for the rest of the year. My money is on that they'll pile on more knowing that they can.

My money is on they will find a way to declare you non essential staff and cancel your contract to save them money.

I heard a rumour that there is a volcano will erupt in Bangkok later this year? Is there any evidence for this, or is it just a rumour?

Seriously OP, what the hell sort of question is that? How can there be rumours about natural events? What do they teach kids in school these days, cos it sure isn't common sense?

Teach? ... You're having a laugh ... It is more like babysitters and nannies ... But at least it keeps both the kiddies and the "Teachers" off Khao San Road.

I would guess that if there is flooding in Bangkok this year, it will not be due to the weather alone.

We have had a coule of storms come through Thailand, in the rainy season no less, and the predictions of disaster are rife again. This is not to say that certain areas will not flood; this happens every year.

Teach? ... You're having a laugh ... It is more like babysitters and nannies ... But at least it keeps both the kiddies and the "Teachers" off Khao San Road.

Utter rubbish......bah.gif

not much has been done to alleviate the problems of last year ,i would guess because

bkk stayed dry for the most part ,it seems pretty obvious that some gates were kept locked

to make sure bkk stayed dry while other "less important" places were flooded for weeks

people in the worst flooded areas will probably be flooded again if there is similar weather conditions

Not only they have not done anything against flood but higher than 4 floors buildings are built left right and center in BKK this year.

They said it makes the city sink but everyone is after quick cash here ...

If they don't have floods they deserve it

Not only they have not done anything against flood but higher than 4 floors buildings are built left right and center in BKK this year.

They said it makes the city sink but everyone is after quick cash here ...

If they don't have floods they deserve it

i dont understand this post ,any of it .........