Best Free Video Player?

fabianfred

+1 for Daum Potplayer (considered an improved version of KM Player - same author) - I use this most of the time, light, fast, plays everything.

I'll put in a word for the 800-pound gorilla in the room we love to ignore: Winamp, assuming you've installed a major codec pack. It's nice to have the library facility. Looks good, plays good, sounds good, does a lot including internet radio stations. Ton of plugins available. Of course, YMMV. Close runner up (IMO): MediaMonkey.

Use Winamp a lot but the players are free so I just keep Winamp, VLC, WMP, and RP installed and use whichever one suits the purpose. If I had to buy them I'd worry about narrowing it down to one, but I don't.

I was having problems with VLC also. I've tried Applian Media player and it's OK. I don't like the controls, but it doesn't stutter like VLC was doing. I'll try updating my codecs to see if that helps....

Anyone having trouble with VLC should try uninstalling it (select the option that includes deleting the preferences) and then installing the most recent version.

VLC uses its own codecs for nearly everything.