Australia Catches Another Boatload Of Asylum Seekers Off Its Coast

News_Editor

It's a great system when an illegal can get off a plane or boat claim to be a refugee and get tax payers assistance for health care, housing, welfare etc. Yet I who have worked all my life paying taxes, go back because I need an eye op am told I am no longer a resident and have no rights to assistance. Not even an OAP if I make it to that age.They the Gov have screwed us over for many years and there will come a time when the worm will turn, but I bet those with power will have left by then. Jim

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow what a thread, interested to know of all the pro asylum seeker supporters, are you paying significant Australian taxes only to struggle for the benefit of others?

Have you had do something as tough as LEGALLY immigrating your loved ones to Australia.

Vote in a Liberal government or stop patroling the northern waters and the problem will fix itself.

Edited by damo

Wow what a thread, interested to know of all the pro asylum seeker supporters, are you paying significant Australian taxes only to struggle for the benefit of others?

Have you had do something as tough as LEGALLY immigrating your loved ones to Australia.

Vote in a Liberal government or stop patroling the northern waters and the problem will fix itself.

Firstly it's not a discussion on whether you are pro asylum seekers or not; it's about human rights. On the tax front it would be a drop in the ocean of total government expenditure for processing / supporting asylum seekers or refugees. It does annoy me that 7 million Australians are receiving some form of Centrelink payment.

Personally, yes I have gone through the legal process of obtaining PR for family who are now both Australian citizens.

Unfortunately the volume of posts has actually been related to the rights/wrongs of Muslims entering Australia. It seems to me those people who are anti Muslim have zero knowledge of the root causes of what is driving millions of Muslims into refugee camps.

If the Liberals get into power, I agree that action will be taken to change the current situation regards the minority of people arriving by sea, but not the majority who arrive by air.

It's a great system when an illegal can get off a plane or boat claim to be a refugee and get tax payers assistance for health care, housing, welfare etc. Yet I who have worked all my life paying taxes, go back because I need an eye op am told I am no longer a resident and have no rights to assistance. Not even an OAP if I make it to that age.They the Gov have screwed us over for many years and there will come a time when the worm will turn, but I bet those with power will have left by then. Jim

Actually the same applies to me (albeit I am living in Australia) but having paid taxes and health insurance from a teenager, I am no longer entitled to receive any assistance from the British Government either and I think that applies after being a non resident for 6 months.

However, I would just as you would be entitled to free care under the accident and emergency system.

Yes I am a migrant into Australia, my brothers have followed me with their respective Asian wives.. we have all gone through the hoops to enter into Australia.. I dont quite see your point!

AI know it's off topic, but interested in your statement re OAP. I have contacted Centrelink on this matter and they advised would have to return to Australia and "prove" intent of permanent residency. If approved would then be obligated to remain in Oz a minimum of two years to continuing receiving OAP if I relocated overseas. Any info on proving permanent residency?

• Like 1

AI know it's off topic, but interested in your statement re OAP. I have contacted Centrelink on this matter and they advised would have to return to Australia and "prove" intent of permanent residency. If approved would then be obligated to remain in Oz a minimum of two years to continuing receiving OAP if I relocated overseas. Any info on proving permanent residency?

That's right you can return and go back as a permenent resident to claim the OAP, but you must be in country for 2 years prior or 2 years after you apply and get approved.. My home is now Thailand, wife, kids, house and dogs. Make my living here, can't give up 2 years of my life to get a dog food and baked bean OAP, have nothing to go back to anyway, would end up as an urban outdoorsman. Jim
  • Like 1

That's right you can return and go back as a permenent resident to claim the OAP, but you must be in country for 2 years prior or 2 years after you apply and get approved.. My home is now Thailand, wife, kids, house and dogs. Make my living here, can't give up 2 years of my life to get a dog food and baked bean OAP, have nothing to go back to anyway, would end up as an urban outdoorsman. Jim

So Jim am I correct in assuming that all the money you paid into the "system" over the years has now "vanished",simply because you cannot meet the criteria set down by the Government?

So Jim am I correct in assuming that all the money you paid into the "system" over the years has now "vanished",simply because you cannot meet the criteria set down by the Government?

That's it and they change the rules as they see fit. Only 55 so a long way from the OAP, doubt there will even be an OAP in OZ by then. That fat SOB Hockey said it on the TV when I was there, Australia should not be following a European welfare system, but an Asian one. Thankfully my kids have 3 passports and a choice for their future, at this time Thailand looks the best. Jim
  • Like 1

Hi, just as feedback when I spoke to Centrelink international office 3 weeks ago they advised me if I return to Oz at 65 can claim OAP subject to residency criteria - there was no reference to a two year waiting period. Fully understand your comment about quality of life.

Please stick to the topic of the asylum seekers. The situation with old age pensions is off-topic. Discussion of the economy or the amount it costs for refugees/asylum seekers is relevant to the thread. Posters personal financial situation is a little too far off the mark.

Thanks.

No it has not vanished it is being used to support the boat people who do not have to meet the same stringent requirements that Australian pensioners do. Australian citizens pay into the system thier entire working lives and get very little or nothing in return, where those sneaking in the back door and have contributed absolutely nothing are awarded everything thier little hearts desire.

• Like 2

"No it has not vanished it is being used to support the boat people". You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel; what utter drivel

Then who is supporting them? Thier own country and government? I do not think so, I believe it is the Australian people and thier money whether they want to or not.

• Like 1

So this is what it is about? You don't get your OAP cause you didn't research it before you move overseas. Ergo, others who get something from it are scum of the earth?

Ah the self interest shines through in all its glory.

So this is what it is about? You don't get your OAP cause you didn't research it before you move overseas. Ergo, others who get something from it are scum of the earth?

Ah the self interest shines through in all its glory.

If you are refering to me then no I do not get the OAP, not entitled to it for at least another 20 yrs, but doubt if I will actually need it. So self interest is not part of it, wrong again in your assumption.

P.S as a person of aboriginal decent I would still get it anyway if I was overseas.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 1

Thank you for the link. I would rather have the thread stay closer to the topic in the OP, but since I am not Australian, I wasn't sure how far too let it drift before stepping in.

Firstly it's not a discussion on whether you are pro asylum seekers or not; it's about human rights. On the tax front it would be a drop in the ocean of total government expenditure for processing / supporting asylum seekers or refugees. It does annoy me that 7 million Australians are receiving some form of Centrelink payment.

Personally, yes I have gone through the legal process of obtaining PR for family who are now both Australian citizens.

Unfortunately the volume of posts has actually been related to the rights/wrongs of Muslims entering Australia. It seems to me those people who are anti Muslim have zero knowledge of the root causes of what is driving millions of Muslims into refugee camps.

If the Liberals get into power, I agree that action will be taken to change the current situation regards the minority of people arriving by sea, but not the majority who arrive by air.

+1

No it has not vanished it is being used to support the boat people who do not have to meet the same stringent requirements that Australian pensioners do. Australian citizens pay into the system thier entire working lives and get very little or nothing in return, where those sneaking in the back door and have contributed absolutely nothing are awarded everything thier little hearts desire.

Its not problem if you REALLY believe that softgeorge and you feel hardly done by..

Relinquish your Australian citizenship then hop a boat and enter Australia illegally. You will then have all the magical benefits that asylum seekers supposedly get over the ordinary hard working Aussie and previously hard working Aussie pensioners.

I mean, only do that softgeorge if you REALLY believe what you say of course. thumbsup.gif

jamescollister, you say your home is now Thailand....and then you say you are not entitled to an OAP in Australia unless you go back for two years. I think I have that right?

Why should you be entitled to an OAP in Australia if you are now permanently residing somewhere else? Why should you be entitled to the health care system or anything else that new arrivals to Australia get if Australia is no longer your home?

Surely you can see the absurdity expecting your old home country to stump up your ongoing health and welfare costs when you have a new home country?

I'm not having a go at you personally jamesC, but viewing it dispassionately I don't know what you expect?

Its not problem if you REALLY believe that softgeorge and you feel hardly done by..

Relinquish your Australian citizenship then hop a boat and enter Australia illegally. You will then have all the magical benefits that asylum seekers supposedly get over the ordinary hard working Aussie and previously hard working Aussie pensioners.

I mean, only do that softgeorge if you REALLY believe what you say of course. thumbsup.gif

I already answered that at #136

jamescollister, you say your home is now Thailand....and then you say you are not entitled to an OAP in Australia unless you go back for two years. I think I have that right?

Why should you be entitled to an OAP in Australia if you are now permanently residing somewhere else? Why should you be entitled to the health care system or anything else that new arrivals to Australia get if Australia is no longer your home?

Surely you can see the absurdity expecting your old home country to stump up your ongoing health and welfare costs when you have a new home country?

I'm not having a go at you personally jamesC, but viewing it dispassionately I don't know what you expect?

Off topic again, the OZ OAP scheme was the same as the UK originally,you paid into it. The Government took the money and changed the rules. Never saw an opt out clause in medicare levy if you intended to early retire overseas. My job, state was origionally a service per years percentage of salary [ uniformed ] they handed that over to the private sector. Suddenly 55 became 65 and you got what was left from the money after they lost most of it.

As an above post mentioned, if I got sick or things went really bad, It would be better to catch a plane to Darwin, flush the passport away, claim to be a refo, get lodged in the Dawim airport hotel fed and medical all first class. Until they found out who I was. Then it would be out in the street. Not asking for special treatment, just what I was promised by the Government for for 40 odd years of my working life. Jim

Off topic again, the OZ OAP scheme was the same as the UK originally,you paid into it. The Government took the money and changed the rules. Never saw an opt out clause in medicare levy if you intended to early retire overseas. My job, state was origionally a service per years percentage of salary [ uniformed ] they handed that over to the private sector. Suddenly 55 became 65 and you got what was left from the money after they lost most of it.

As an above post mentioned, if I got sick or things went really bad, It would be better to catch a plane to Darwin, flush the passport away, claim to be a refo, get lodged in the Dawim airport hotel fed and medical all first class. Until they found out who I was. Then it would be out in the street. Not asking for special treatment, just what I was promised by the Government for for 40 odd years of my working life. Jim

It is slightly off topic, but you do realise that paying tax is not paying for an OAP. As for paying compulsory superannuation, that is your personal superannuation, not the OAP. They are different things and have never been the same. I think you are confusing something there.

It is slightly off topic, but you do realise that paying tax is not paying for an OAP. As for paying compulsory superannuation, that is your personal superannuation, not the OAP. They are different things and have never been the same. I think you are confusing something there.

No confusion OAP was the same as the UK, you paid into it, then the Goverment said we will keep the money as general revenue and all Australians will get a pension. Over the years they just kept amending it slowly so no one noticed, now it's gone, but people still pay 2 % into the scheme, that never went. Jim

No confusion OAP was the same as the UK, you paid into it, then the Goverment said we will keep the money as general revenue and all Australians will get a pension. Over the years they just kept amending it slowly so no one noticed, now it's gone, but people still pay 2 % into the scheme, that never went. Jim

It was never like that. The government OAP and compulsory superannuation are different in Australia and always have been. The Government has changed the rules numerous times in OZ in relation to Superannuation, so you cannot touch the money you or your employer paid into your fund until you turn a certain age. You used to be able to access it when you went from one job to another as a lump sum or access the component you personally contributed etc etc, but, yes these rules have continually changed.

http://www.theage.co...0618-20kch.html Couple of questions, I wonder what the implications will be if they rule in favour of the refugee ,and (2) I wonder if a scenario like this would have happened under the previous Howard administration?,any answers please smile.png

If you are referring to the volume of refugees entering the country under Howard government, maybe this guy would not have entered Australia by sea. But the article doesn't refer to mode of entry into Australia. I would assume this individual is deemed a security risk due to membership of the Tamil Tigers, who were defeated after twenty years of civil war in Sri Lanka. The Sri Lankan government forces were not exactly "clean" as they murdered many civilians. As you already know Australia is bound by it's agreements on human rights; so what do you propose, sending him/them back to Sri Lanka for torture and execution? The implication is that the Australian government stands by it's international obligations. If the majority of Australians, assessed by a referendum? wish the government to cancel it's agreements, and wipe out Australia's reputation as a fair and reasonable country, so be it

This happened in the UK, but could have equally happened in Australia. These are the ongoing problems of culture enrichment from certain parts of the world. Chinese immigrants and you get scarcely any problems at all. There is a qualitative difference and our governments are too strangled by PC dogma to admit it.

• The judge said: 'The particular tragedy of these events is compounded by the fact is you should not even have been in this country'
  • Schizophrenic Rostam Ahmadi was on bail at time of the attack for robbing a woman
  • He claimed asylum in 2007 wrongly claiming he was an 18-year-old refugee from Afghanistan

</p>

Edited by Steely Dan