Australian Aged Pension

OAP.

It seems they have now stated some firm guidelines.

If you lived in Australia all your working life they will pay you the full pension (less special allowances) presumably whereever you choose to live. Lesser pension for lesser residency .

Is this correct, and does the 2 year qualifying still apply?

• Like 1

On a more cheerful note for some of those on the DSP, this bill appeared to have been passed today.

http://www.aph.gov.a...esult?bId=r4752

http://parlinfo.aph......F 0000";rec=0

The text of Section 3

1218AAA Unlimited portability period for disability support pension—severely impaired disability support pensioner

(1) The Secretary may make a written determination that a particular person’s maximum portability period for disability support pension is an unlimited period, if all of the following circumstances (the qualifying circumstances ) exist:

(a) the person is receiving disability support pension;

( b the Secretary is satisfied that the person’s impairment is a severe impairment (within the meaning of subsection 94(3B));

© the Secretary is satisfied that the person will have that severe impairment for at least the next 5 years;

(d) the Secretary is satisfied that, if the person were in Australia, the severe impairment would prevent the person from performing any work independently of a program of support (within the meaning of subsection 94(4)) within the next 5 years.

(2) The Secretary must not make a determination under subsection (1) in relation to a person who is outside Australia unless the Secretary is satisfied that:

(a) the person is unable to return to Australia because of either of the following events:

(i) a serious accident involving the person;

(ii) the hospitalisation of the person; and

( b the person’s portability period for disability support pension had not ended at the time the event occurred.

(3) The Secretary may revoke the determination if any of the qualifying circumstances ceases to exist.

(4) A determination under subsection (1) is not a legislative instrument.

(5) In this section:

work means work:

(a) that is on wages that are at or above the relevant minimum wage; and

( b that exists in Australia, even if not within the person’s locally accessible labour market.

Edited by sceadugenga

OAP.

If you lived in Australia all your working life they will pay you the full pension (less special allowances) presumably whereever you choose to live. Lesser pension for lesser residency .

Two year timeline is in reference to returning to Australia after living overseas, you have to stay in Australia for a minimum of two years to continue receiving OAP if you then re-locate overseas. For details refer to email I recently received for Centrelinl. The 25 year period mentioned for Australian working life residence (WLR) below has now been extended, as I recall, to 30 as of 1/01/2014 (?)

A customer does not have to remain an Australian resident to continue to receive Age Pension while overseas and the overseas absence can be for any reason. For both temporary and permanent departures, the rate of payment after 26 weeks will paid at a proportional rate calculated by using the person's own Australian working life residence (WLR)

If a person has more than the maximum WLR of 25 years, the rate of pension will not be affected. If a person has no WLR (for example, they arrived in Australia after reaching age pension age) then the proportional rate will be nil and payment will cease 26 weeks after departure from Australia.

For permanent departures, only the basic pension and Pension Supplement Basic amounts are paid. Any add-on payments received, such as Rent Assistance (RA), will be cancelled from the date of departure. For temporary departures the supplements will stop after 13 weeks

If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure.

OAP.

Two year timeline is in reference to returning to Australia after living overseas, you have to stay in Australia for a minimum of two years to continue receiving OAP if you then re-locate overseas. For details refer to email I recently received for Centrelinl. The 25 year period mentioned for Australian working life residence (WLR) below has now been extended, as I recall, to 30 as of 1/01/2014 (?)

A customer does not have to remain an Australian resident to continue to receive Age Pension while overseas and the overseas absence can be for any reason. For both temporary and permanent departures, the rate of payment after 26 weeks will paid at a proportional rate calculated by using the person's own Australian working life residence (WLR)

If a person has more than the maximum WLR of 25 years, the rate of pension will not be affected. If a person has no WLR (for example, they arrived in Australia after reaching age pension age) then the proportional rate will be nil and payment will cease 26 weeks after departure from Australia.

For permanent departures, only the basic pension and Pension Supplement Basic amounts are paid. Any add-on payments received, such as Rent Assistance (RA), will be cancelled from the date of departure. For temporary departures the supplements will stop after 13 weeks

If a customer who has only recently returned to live in Australia, is granted or transferred to Age Pension based on being a former resident then leaves Australia within two years of the recent return, payment will cancel on departure.

I qualify for the max WLR having lived in Australia for more than 35 years from age 16.

I've been OS (now my permanent home) for the last couple of years and will be 65 in may 2013.

According to the last sentence above, I would have to return to apply and then stay for 2 years to receive any OAP?

As i would only receive a partial pension because of other income it wouldn't be worth it.

My

• Like 1

The current rules are that if you've been living overseas you have to go back and reside in Australia for 2 years to qualify for the OAP (you'll really be an Old Croc then won't you?) tongue.png

I hate to see people letting them win though, I'd definitely be pursuing it, you've paid tax all your life and now they want to tell you where you can and can't live?

I know of cases where it has been successfully contested in the appeals system.

The current rules are that if you've been living overseas you have to go back and reside in Australia for 2 years to qualify for the OAP (you'll really be an Old Croc then won't you?) tongue.png

I hate to see people letting them win though, I'd definitely be pursuing it, you've paid tax all your life and now they want to tell you where you can and can't live?

At least Old Croc wife can speak some Australian. Is she going to apply for one of those jobs in Oz? Translator perhaps coffee1.gif

I hate to see people letting them win though, I'd definitely be pursuing it, you've paid tax all your life and now they want to tell you where you can and can't live? I know of cases where it has been successfully contested in the appeals system.

Not entirely correct, if returning from overseas and you qualify for the OAP it is paid. Howerer, if you wish then wish to return overseas and still qualify for the OAP, you must have resided in Oz for minimum of two years for payment

I hate to see people letting them win though, I'd definitely be pursuing it, you've paid tax all your life and now they want to tell you where you can and can't live? I know of cases where it has been successfully contested in the appeals system.

Not entirely correct, if returning from overseas and you qualify for the OAP it is paid. Howerer, if you wish then wish to return overseas and still qualify for the OAP, you must have resided in Oz for minimum of two years for payment

Not true, in my case I was overseas when I changed from DSP to OAP. On C/L web site they say one must be an Australian resident and be in Australia when you apply for OAP. I was neither. If they refuse you the OAP appeal their decision put up a fight because C/L staff are just making up their own rules its not law......YET

Oi Scea, I'm only a couple of months older than you!

I'll give it a go, I'm thinking of going back soon to restart my partial DSP which they stopped 13 weeks after moving here.

Under the new rules that would now continue until time to transfer to OAP. See what happens then.

As my superannuation is indexed, I get closer to the income shut off point all the time, so the amount I get back with a partial pension after 45+ years of paying taxes, is declining.

At least Old Croc wife can speak some Australian. Is she going to apply for one of those jobs in Oz? Translator perhaps coffee1.gif

Knowing how to say "no worries mate" and "f..k it" wouldn't quite qualify her for an interpretor job. tongue.png

Not true, in my case I was overseas when I changed from DSP to OAP. On C/L web site they say one must be an Australian resident and be in Australia when you apply for OAP. I was neither. If they refuse you the OAP appeal their decision put up a fight because C/L staff are just making up their own rules its not law......YET

Yes my understanding is you're right when converting from DSP to OAP can do whilst residing overseas. But cannot claim OAP whilst residing overseas without prior DSP pension. Anyone dispute this info?

Yes my understanding is you're right when converting from DSP to OAP can do whilst residing overseas. But cannot claim OAP whilst residing overseas without prior DSP pension. Anyone dispute this info?

I believe this is correct as told to me by Centrelink International. I have also read this some were in amongst all that is written here on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone on the DSP who is interested in applying for unlimited portability of their pension is advised to ring Centrelink international on or after the 18th June 2012.

131673 or

001 800 611 4136 from Thailand.

I'm 67 yo now, 2 years ago I applied at CL in Melbourne for the OAP and was refused on the grounds that I'd been living outside of Australia for to long. If I applied again when back in Australia would it be granted if I signed a declaration binding me to live in Australia for 2 years without leaving during that time span rather than waiting 2 years before it would be granted. I'm doing ok here but like many of us expats my superannuation has been hit hard and I'm not sure how long it will last. Surely expats who previously lived in Australia for say 50 years should be exempt from these ridiculous laws. I have close friends here from 4 other countries and they all received their countries OAP's when they reached 65yo no questions asked. The Howard government brought in these laws obviously without much thought in regards to aged Aussies who wish to spend their retirement overseas but the Gillard government han't even reviewed the current laws. Anyway thanks for any suggestions to get around this situation we find ourselves in, Thanks.

I'm 67 yo now, 2 years ago I applied at CL in Melbourne for the OAP and was refused on the grounds that I'd been living outside of Australia for to long. If I applied again when back in Australia would it be granted if I signed a declaration binding me to live in Australia for 2 years without leaving during that time span rather than waiting 2 years before it would be granted. I'm doing ok here but like many of us expats my superannuation has been hit hard and I'm not sure how long it will last. Surely expats who previously lived in Australia for say 50 years should be exempt from these ridiculous laws. I have close friends here from 4 other countries and they all received their countries OAP's when they reached 65yo no questions asked. The Howard government brought in these laws obviously without much thought in regards to aged Aussies who wish to spend their retirement overseas but the Gillard government han't even reviewed the current laws. Anyway thanks for any suggestions to get around this situation we find ourselves in, Thanks.

You are entitled to the pension in Australia if you have been in Australia previously the required period. Your pension should be paid from the day you apply in Australia. It stops if you leave Australia.After 2 years you can leave Australia and keep receiving the pension,.

I am planning to return to Oz when I am 65 to qualify for the OAP; similar financial situation to yourself. So that means at the time of application I will have resided outside of Australia for two and a half years. Based upon your post above would you mind advising how long you were were residing outside of Oz when you applied for the OAP. I am assuming that you applied for the OAP during a visit to Oz as you cannot apply from overseas unless already in receipt of disability pension. By the way if you re-qualify you don't have to wait two years for payment to commence so long as you're resident in Australia. Two years refers to the minimum period of residency to receive payment if you re-locate overseas. God knows what bureaucratic grief you have to go though to get payment authorised if moving back overseas.

Thanks to Harry and Simple 1, to be more to the point I lived in Thailand for 6 years prior to applying for the OAP, during that time I visited Australia for one month every year to see my family, friends and sort out business matters. When I applied to CL in Melbourne for the OAP I was refused but after accessing Google the secretary of the then minister in charge of this portfolio Joe Ludwig stated that they'd checked my file and again I had to return to Australia for two years to re qualify for the OAP. They did give me the phone number of the International CL in Hobart and again the same answer. I'm not prepared to go back to Australia and wait for two years. If I could get the the OAP as soon as I returned to Australia and not leave for two years I'd seriously consider it. Seriously CL carrys on as though it's a secret society, such as the mafia, masonic lodge or even the ku klux klan, why don't they come clean and give us the specific guidelines that everyone understands before they're 65 yo and in doing that will stop hassles at both ends. Of course we are a minority, very few of us vote when we live overseas so both major political partys couldn't give a rats arse about us, Anyway thanks guys.

Thanks to Harry and Simple 1, to be more to the point I lived in Thailand for 6 years prior to applying for the OAP, during that time I visited Australia for one month every year to see my family, friends and sort out business matters. When I applied to CL in Melbourne for the OAP I was refused but after accessing Google the secretary of the then minister in charge of this portfolio Joe Ludwig stated that they'd checked my file and again I had to return to Australia for two years to re qualify for the OAP. They did give me the phone number of the International CL in Hobart and again the same answer. I'm not prepared to go back to Australia and wait for two years. If I could get the the OAP as soon as I returned to Australia and not leave for two years I'd seriously consider it. Seriously CL carrys on as though it's a secret society, such as the mafia, masonic lodge or even the ku klux klan, why don't they come clean and give us the specific guidelines that everyone understands before they're 65 yo and in doing that will stop hassles at both ends. Of course we are a minority, very few of us vote when we live overseas so both major political partys couldn't give a rats arse about us, Anyway thanks guys.

Based upon your post above I today spoke with Centrelink international services & they pointed me to the following on their website. "To be paid Age Pension, you also need to meet the 10-year qualifying Australian residence requirements. The 10-year Australian resident requirement means you have been an Australian resident for a continuous period of at least 10 years, or for a number of periods which total more than 10 years, with one of the periods being at least 5 years". URL http://www.centrelin...e_residence.htm

They went on to say that so long as one complies to the residency and eligibility criteria the OAP is paid; you do not have to wait two years for payments to commence. Accordingly you might like to review this matter with Centrelink to clarify their objection to your application. If you do re-visit this issue with Centrelink I hope you don't mind posting the outcome.

Edit: Must be living, not visiting, in Australia when applying and stay in Australia for two years upon receipt of the OAP, prior to re-locating overseas.

Edited by simple1

• 3 weeks later...

What is the siuation if you've 'never' had this complication of living overseas prior to claiming the pension and are 65 and have been granted and getting the pension, as living in Australia normally?

You then decide to move overseas, say Thailand where there is no two way agreement as with some countries; Do you still get stuck with this 2 year qualifying period, thus having to wait in Australia until 67 until you make the move.

Or, as I deducing from this thread of late, one is in a way being 'punished' for being off-shore for a major amount of time prior your 65th birthday and having to stay on-shore for a further two years for being 'naughty'

Perhaps a flippant way for me to put the example but that's what it seems is happening!

Still seems to me that in the example above quoted by Simple1......................................"Must be living, not visiting, in Australia when applying and stay in Australia for two years upon receipt of the OAP, prior to re-locating overseas"................................that this two year on-shore qualification is being applied only to those apparently living o/s for a long period before claiming the pension.

Edited by fishhooks

What is the siuation if you've 'never' had this complication of living overseas prior to claiming the pension and are 65 and have been granted and getting the pension, as living in Australia normally?

You then decide to move overseas, say Thailand where there is no two way agreement as with some countries; Do you still get stuck with this 2 year qualifying period, thus having to wait in Australia until 67 until you make the move.

Or, as I deducing from this thread of late, one is in a way being 'punished' for being off-shore for a major amount of time prior your 65th birthday and having to stay on-shore for a further two years for being 'naughty'

Perhaps a flippant way for me to put the example but that's what it seems is happening!

Still seems to me that in the example above quoted by Simple1......................................"Must be living, not visiting, in Australia when applying and stay in Australia for two years upon receipt of the OAP, prior to re-locating overseas"................................that this two year on-shore qualification is being applied only to those apparently living o/s for a long period before claiming the pension.

You can leave the day after you are granted the pension. Your pension will not stop if you have lived in Australia for the two years before...less in some cases.

All ready posted this on another thread, but will re post here. Just came back from Oz 5, 6 weeks ago. Had cataract ops, both eyes. Been living in Thailand over 2 years. Not entitled to medicare rebate, not entitled to an thing unless I say I have returned permanently. When I asked about the OAP. I am 55 years old, so a way to go. They said must return 2 years prior to 65 years old and be permanently resident for 2 years, then I can claim my OAP, after that I can leave the country and it will be paid, minus the extras residents get. If I return after 65 years of age I can claim the OAP, but it will stop as soon as I leave the country if I do not remain for 2 years. Then I can leave and get the OAP minus the extra s for residents.

Well unless thing are really going bad here I am not giving up 2 years of my life to get a dog food and baked bean pension. Australia will be able to use the money to help those poor boat people. Jim

All ready posted this on another thread, but will re post here. Just came back from Oz 5, 6 weeks ago. Had cataract ops, both eyes. Been living in Thailand over 2 years. Not entitled to medicare rebate, not entitled to an thing unless I say I have returned permanently. When I asked about the OAP. I am 55 years old, so a way to go. They said must return 2 years prior to 65 years old and be permanently resident for 2 years, then I can claim my OAP, after that I can leave the country and it will be paid, minus the extras residents get. If I return after 65 years of age I can claim the OAP, but it will stop as soon as I leave the country if I do not remain for 2 years. Then I can leave and get the OAP minus the extra s for residents.

Well unless thing are really going bad here I am not giving up 2 years of my life to get a dog food and baked bean pension. Australia will be able to use the money to help those poor boat people. Jim

The advice Jim got is consistent with what we've been getting since this thread and its predecessor began (four years ago?).

If you've been out of the country for more than 5 years (or is it 7?) you will have to return and stay there for two years if you want the pension to be portable to Thailand. Ditto Medicare - after a substantial period away from Oz your Medicare entitlements cease and you must return with the intention of staying in order to reactivate them. At least that was the advice I received, backed up by a brochure they gave me, when I inquired a couple of years ago.

Mrs Xangsamhua and I will be returning later this year and put in our two years. I'm 68 and she's 63, so 2 years will give us both portability entitlements. Yes, Jim's right that a government pension or part-pension isn't much, but it's something, and Mrs X believes it's a matter of principle to claim it and get it. Of course we have some other things to do in Oz while we're there, so it's not just the pension we're going for.

I agree with Fishhooks, too, that it does feel like one is being punished for leaving the wide, brown land, even if one has never ceased to love the country and always tried to represent it well.

The advice Jim got is consistent with what we've been getting since this thread and its predecessor began (four years ago?).

If you've been out of the country for more than 5 years (or is it 7?) you will have to return and stay there for two years if you want the pension to be portable to Thailand. Ditto Medicare - after a substantial period away from Oz your Medicare entitlements cease and you must return with the intention of staying in order to reactivate them. At least that was the advice I received, backed up by a brochure they gave me, when I inquired a couple of years ago.

Mrs Xangsamhua and I will be returning later this year and put in our two years. I'm 68 and she's 63, so 2 years will give us both portability entitlements. Yes, Jim's right that a government pension or part-pension isn't much, but it's something, and Mrs X believes it's a matter of principle to claim it and get it. Of course we have some other things to do in Oz while we're there, so it's not just the pension we're going for.

I agree with Fishhooks, too, that it does feel like one is being punished for leaving the wide, brown land, even if one has never ceased to love the country and always tried to represent it well.

If you look at the Centrelink site it states "To be paid Age Pension, you also need to meet the 10-year qualifying Australian residence requirements. The 10-year Australian resident requirement means you have been an Australian resident for a continuous period of at least 10 years, or for a number of periods which total more than 10 years, with one of the periods being at least 5 years". URL http://www.centrelin...e_residence.htm it doesn't say anything about being excluded if you are out of Australia more than five years

If you look at the Centrelink site it states "To be paid Age Pension, you also need to meet the 10-year qualifying Australian residence requirements. The 10-year Australian resident requirement means you have been an Australian resident for a continuous period of at least 10 years, or for a number of periods which total more than 10 years, with one of the periods being at least 5 years". URL http://www.centrelin...e_residence.htm it doesn't say anything about being excluded if you are out of Australia more than five years

That is the test for eligiblility for the pension. If you meet that test you will be paid while you stay in Australia. The test you also have to check is the test for Portability in order to be paid if you leave Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off the above eligibility theme.

Have been told that OAP's will be be given a special payment re Carbon Tax. Have also heard that it has already been given... Has any OAP in Thailand received this payment?

Slightly off the above eligibility theme.

Have been told that OAP's will be be given a special payment re Carbon Tax. Have also heard that it has already been given... Has any OAP in Thailand received this payment?

only in Australia

If I return after 65 years of age I can claim the OAP ...

Hi there Jim ... I have some bad news for you (and me).

Assuming that I have your age correct and I'm a fair bit younger then you, we will have to wait till we are 67 before qualifying for the OAP.

Born between 1 July 1955 and 31 December 1956 - 66 and a half

Born after 1 January 1957....................................- 67

eligibility-for-age-pension

Assuming that I have your age correct and I'm a fair bit younger then you, we will have to wait till we are 67 before qualifying for the OAP.

By the time I am eligable, the retirement age will have been upped to 120 years old and all you will get is a spot in the line for the soup kitchen.

They the politicans have sold my and my kids future to stay in power for one more term. Bet their pensions will not ever be effected, Jim

By the time I am eligable, the retirement age will have been upped to 120 years old and all you will get is a spot in the line for the soup kitchen.

They the politicans have sold my and my kids future to stay in power for one more term. Bet their pensions will not ever be effected, Jim

Yes and look at the pay rise they just gave themselves, with all of the homeless people in Australia this is nothing short of DISGUSTING.