Taxi Etiquette Bangkok.

Rooo

I asked this question of the gf when I came here.

I got the blank look as a reply ... and a 'just get in will you' look.

Depends which door I open to ask the question to the driver about where to travel.

But usually I sit in the back.

... and that appears to be what is expected by the Taxi driver because the front passenger seat is usually in the full forward position allowing the most room in the back.

Edited by David48

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, but I sat in the back and made pleasant conversation with my cabbies. One pulled out pictures of his kids as he drove in the Sukhumvit area. The other was a Camboadian national who drove me from Pattaya to BKK at approximately 120 mph the entire time. All the while, he made steady eye contact with me in his rear-view mirror, even when not talking.

I sit in the front and talk incessantly to them. I think it disturbs their concentration so they drive a little bit slower.

Started doing this after one cabbie got stopped and fined at the toll booth for speeding. I don't like waiting 10 mins while he has to queue for the BiB.

The front passenger seat is usually used to store various bits-and-bobs and the rear seats are not fitted with safety belts. I think most Bangkok taxi drivers would prefer the passengers to sit in the boot, or walk to their destination.