Gmmz Box

StefanBBK

Hi,

I have noticed these new GMMZboxes appearing everywhere, even the local 7/11 sells them now.

They advertize with "watch Euro 2012" etc.

Anybody any idea if they are good and programmes ar free to air?

On a seconday note, are there any good intenet based TV boxes around. I am loking for something without monthly charges.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also saw the GMMZ boxes ("Euro 2012") for sale at a large sat shop in Chiang Rai. 1290 baht, receiver only. And, no monthly subscription? Searching more detailed information on this has been difficult. But, Thai sat website postings seem to indicate the premium channels to be a free promotion of only three months. After that, the premium programming is around 300-400 baht per month?

Hopefully, someone using the service can give more accurate info.

GMMZ is interesting, because there are scattered postings about more premium programming to be added in the future. And, both a ku-band transponder and a C-band transponder beam the programming from Thaicom 5. On their brochure, GMMZ advertises 200 channels from the C-band, and 80 channels from the ku-band. But, most of these would be Thai FTA channels.

OK , I just bought one!

B1,590 from 7-11.

Got it home plugged it in , bit disappointed it only has AV jacks and no HDMI, so I guess there will be no HD Euro 2012.

I unplugged my True Vissions box and stuck the feed from the True Dish into it and expected it to work.

I am just getting an E52 error message in Thai.

Pressing the menu button gets a PIN screen to which 1234 and 9999 dont get you any further.

Any ideas?

I will go off and try to read their website and call tomorrow or Monday.

Did anybody else try yet?

SaNim,

Maybe, I can help.

The GMMZ receiver user manual URL is below;

www.gmmz.tv/gmmz_user_manual.pdf

It's in Thai, but my other half has translated. She says the PIN is "0000" for the photo #18.

You may have to do a preliminary receiver search for the GMMZ channels. They beam from Thaicom 5 ku-band on transponder 12313 H 30000 But, if you have see Truvision, then you can see GMMZ.

To get commentary in English, you may have to set the Audio to "Mono - Right".

I don't have a receiver. But, am interested in the service. Watched ASN when it was free on the C-band. Would appreciate to know your experience with the programming.

Cheers

Thanks, I just got off the phone with GMM and all is working now.

To get english menus you enter 9933.

From June 1st they will give 9 channels for free , including Euro 2012 , for 30 days.

After that they will have 3 packages available Full B400 (I think) Sport B300 and Entertainment B200.

Only SD at the moment but HD apparently coming soon.

Looking like real competition for True!!!!!

Lets hope it doesn't end like UTV.

Here's hoping they can outbid True for the EPL!

GMM Z widens distribution network to lift sales

Watchiranont Thongtep

The Nation

In order to achieve its ambitious target of selling 2 million set-top boxes by year end, GMM Z has decided to focus on strengthening its distribution network nationwide.

"After completing a deal to put GMM Z set-top boxes on the shelves at 7-Eleven and Big C Supercentres, we are planning to set up GMM Z display corners at Tesco Lotus, PowerBuy and PowerMall outlets soon," chief executive officer Thana Thienachariya said.

At present, CP All operates more than 6,400 7-Eleven outlets, while there are more than 660 Tesco Lotus stores, 108 Big C Supercentres and 80 Power Buy branches across the nation.

Thana explained that the GMM Z set-top box was easy to use and compatible with all television models and satellite dishes, so customers could have access to 200 satellite channels along with three special channels from GMM Grammy.

The company is also relying on traditional trade channels such as shops selling satellite dishes and receivers and other distributors across the country. It has also started taking on local technicians to help boost sales and improve after-sales service.

Thana explained that once the company had covered all modern trade channels, it would set a standard price for its set-top box in the market. However, before that, he said, traditional traders can make more profit from selling GMM Z set-top boxes. In reality, satellite dish traders earn a very thin margin from set-top boxes.

"Though our sales target of 2 million set-top boxes this year seems difficult to achieve, we believe it is possible," the CEO said.

Apart from strengthening its distribution network, GMM Grammy's subsidiaries are also planning to form a partnership with local television production houses, satellite TV operators, free-TV broadcasters and other broadcast operators to promote their TV programmes to a mass audience.

For instance, "News TV" - a joint venture between GMM Grammy and Santi Viriyarangsarit, editor-in-chief of the Money & Banking magazine - will produce a news talk show for a free-TV channel. The MCOT channel Modernine TV and the Army's Channel 5 are considering the proposal.

The show would also be run on GMM's satellite TV channels.

Meanwhile, GMM Grammy's chairman Paiboon Damrongchai-tham is also keen on becoming a strategic partner with Cable Thai Holding (CTH) company, which is formed by 200 local cable-TV operators. In the next couple of weeks, GMM Z will join forces with DTV Service, operator and distributor of DTV satellite dish set, to launch a trial period of high-definition broadcasting service.

To have a greater impact now it has acquired major broadcast rights for the German Bundesliga and the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship, GMM Z has formed a partnership with key free TV stations. For example, BEC's ThaiTV3 will become an official broadcaster of the Bundesliga soccer tournament, while ThaiTV3, Modernine and TV5 will be official broadcasters of the UEFA matches.

To keep up with its reputation as the "king of entertainment content", the company will soon start offering pay-TV services as well, Thana added.

Meanwhile, the company is also planning launch mini set-top boxes to capture the mass market, which represents 70 to 80 per cent of local viewers.

Thana said in the second half of this year, the company would launch a prepaid service for registered customers who want to access pay-TV shows via the GMM Z set-top box

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-23

• Like 1

Thanks, I just got off the phone with GMM and all is working now.

To get english menus you enter 9933.

From June 1st they will give 9 channels for free , including Euro 2012 , for 30 days.

After that they will have 3 packages available Full B400 (I think) Sport B300 and Entertainment B200.

Only SD at the moment but HD apparently coming soon.

Looking like real competition for True!!!!!

Lets hope it doesn't end like UTV.

Here's hoping they can outbid True for the EPL!

Although True get a lot of critism.I think that their handling of the EPL games is 100% and dont see how it can be improved.

Nice post in the Nation but......Is Grammy Sky-1, Sky-1 Grammy, or GMMZ whatever they call themselves today planning on placing a "true" HD box on the market anytime soon? It's nice to keep mentionong HD and supposed channels but without a box that supports HD why bother to keep saying HD is and or will be offered soon much less some 80 to 200 channels? I realise they are new to the game and TRUE is a real target but at least they, True suppors to some extent HD channels as well as advertise their channel offerings so all can see. If Grammy continues to flounder in mass mis-communication how do they expect to survive?

OK , I just bought one!

B1,590 from 7-11.

Got it home plugged it in , bit disappointed it only has AV jacks and no HDMI, so I guess there will be no HD Euro 2012.

I unplugged my True Vissions box and stuck the feed from the True Dish into it and expected it to work.

I am just getting an E52 error message in Thai.

Pressing the menu button gets a PIN screen to which 1234 and 9999 dont get you any further.

Any ideas?

I will go off and try to read their website and call tomorrow or Monday.

Did anybody else try yet?

I'm getting the same problem. GMM Call Center tell me I have to reposition my True Visions satellite dish (red one) but that will obviously mess up my True Visions reception.

I think you are being seriously misled here.

The TRUE card cannot be used in a different satellite receiver box.

http://www.thaivisa....__hl__ true tv

the cards are now tied to the box

The GMM channels are on the same satellite Thaicom 5, but transmit on C-band so need a different dish.

http://www.flysat.com/thaicom78.php

For the GMM call centre to tell you to reposition your dish, indicates that they do not know what they are talking about.

The GMM channels are on the same satellite Thaicom 5, but transmit on C-band so need a different dish.

For the GMM call centre to tell you to reposition your dish, indicates that they do not know what they are talking about.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to use my TRUE card. The GMM boxes are sold on the basis that you can just plug into the True Visions satellite and watch free (for some time at least). Some people seem to be able to do this, but others, like me, can't. I wonder if it's the type of True Visions dish that we have (mine's a red one, 3 years old). I agree that the GMM Call center doesn't seem to know the answer.

All one has to do is select either KU or C band and problem solved. If using the original true dish, choose KU band and enjoy

how do you get to talk to a gmm rep, when i call its in thai and i dont understand anything??? ive tried the option no 1 and then entered my 16 digit number on 2 occasions now but still nothing happening??? what channels are the games on in english language?? any help would be gladly welcomed..

I've bought the box and for me it was plug and play. Get a good signal and picture, no problem, even managed to change the menu to English.

The problem I have is how to receive the special sports channel 304, which I assume will broadcast the footy. It just says its a prepaid service.

ive managed to get through on the phone on option 1 put in my 16 digit number,still getting a message in thai on my screen, but the phone number part has gone so i seamed to have done that bit, but stuck as to what to do now...

Finally managed to get English menu, on screen it says prepaid service 387-398 and a blank screen behind it... Anybody have any idea as what to do now as thought these 11 channels were free for 1 month....especially the sport 1 for english commentary or have we all be led a merry dance??

@nongmai Im at the same stage as you.

As I understand it, you have to phone up the helpline and register your box, the 16 digit number with a barcode on top of the box, and it should give you 30 days free viewing on the premium channels. I've yet to get through to the helpline and practice my Thai with their staff.

I managed to get through to register my box after waiting in a phone queue for 30 mins.

The lady got an English speaker on the line and she was really helpful. Had to give my box number, address and name.

Box was able to receive the premium channels almost immediately.

Happy days.

I just bought the GMM Grammy box at 1,600 Baht. Not just for the Euros football, but so as to get all other football tournaments and sport which Truevisions don't always carry. Also to ensure all games in English. With our attempt of installation we came across 1st problem. Something the GMM salespeople didn't tell us. You can only use this box if you have a satellite dish. So if you have Truevisions dish then you can connect through their dish that but only if you have the actual dish. But if you live in a condo that puts Truevisions through the building from their dish you CANNOT use this box, you will have to purchase a dish which is very expensive. 2nd problem; my True dish was older model so had to get a technician in to update it at a cost of another 1,500 Baht. Grammy gave us the number for technician. So my total cost was 3,100 Baht.

The GMM sales people lied to us stating the box will give you all channels that Truevisions have. It doesn't. It has only a handful of channels at the moment but I knew that before purchase. But is has Eurosport and so is good for catching sport that Truevisions might not have. Picture is fine and so I haven't had to change to HD box package which in all will cost 6,500. Only complaint is I got both Thai and English commentary at the same time with English being louder, hoping that's not always the case. So GMM box is good for those that cannot get reception through normal antennae but have a dish. All in all I'm happy I bought the box because now I don't have to rely on Truevisions for all the football games now. So money well spent.

Very good thank you for that, but I why do you write that a dish is very expensive ?

I think that you can buy a suitable dish for around 1000-1500 THB.

<snip>

you will have to purchase a dish which is very expensive

<snip

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

The Electronic Programme Guide on GMM is unpopulated (but the EPG button is still useful for navigating around) so it's a slow process understanding what the programming is. Of course I'm only really interested in channel 000 for the Euro 12, but now I've got the box I thought I might as well explore what else is on it. I pay 2,000 baht for 2 True Gold packages and GMM may provide scope to reduce that in the long run

There are a few English-speaking channels - Warner TV, ASN, Eurosport, Nat Geo Wild among them.

I spotted where to get the programme schedule for Warner TV, which is actually not bad since my wife likes some American sitcoms like Friends, I'm not averse to the odd bit of US comedy and there are movies at the weekend. Its on warnertvasia.com. Choose Singapore in the top left drop down box (probably comes up as the default), as there are no timings for Thailand. Decuct one hour from the Singapore timings for Thailand.

Warner TV is showing this week:

The Big Bang Theory

Gossip Girl

Two and a Half Men

Friends

The Mentalist

Fringe

Nikita

Person of Interest

Pretty Little Liars

Gilmore Girls

Coldcase

Smallville

Anybody else found Thai programme schedules for other GMM channels?

GMM needs to have a 24 hour news programme if it wants to be comprehensive. Aljazeera would be good.

[No need to be rude about my family's viewing habits. It goes without saying that some of you think TV is a waste of time and that others have different tastes].

Does this use the the big 1.5 Meter (approx) dish. I know nothing about satellite TV, but we have a dish out front that my Father in law uses. I don't know what company is his provider but the dish says Dynasat.

Is it available at all 7-11's? We had a guy drive by and offer us a box for 2200. He seemed to think it would work with our dish.

Edited by canuckamuck

Very good thank you for that, but I why do you write that a dish is very expensive ?

I think that you can buy a suitable dish for around 1000-1500 THB.

<snip>

you will have to purchase a dish which is very expensive

<snip

I've been led to believe that a good dish can cost around 75,000 Baht, that's why I wrote that. Are you sure of the price you quote? If you are correct then the Grammy box is not going to work out expensive if you have to add your own dish. Thanks for that heads up.

Does this use the the big 1.5 Meter (approx) dish. I know nothing about satellite TV, but we have a dish out front that my Father in law uses. I don't know what company is his provider but the dish says Dynasat.

Is it available at all 7-11's? We had a guy drive by and offer us a box for 2200. He seemed to think it would work with our dish.

Call grammy, 02-743 7006, takes forever to get through but they should be able to tell you if your Father in law dish will work and/or ask them to send someone, to check. That's what we did. The guy isn't from grammy charges 1,000 for the servcie visit, but payable even if he can't set you up. We had bought the box 1st though. Only other option is try buy on the basis if you can't use it, you can return it.

Word of warning though. The 1st grammy operator my wife talked to wasn't experienced because he didn't ask for our code from the box and so when he tried to turn us on it didn't work. He then told my wife it won't work because we live in a condo with shared truevisions through the building. I pointed out to my wife that we don't share through the condo and have our own dish on the balcony. When we called back we got someone else who asked for code instantly. Then when it still didn't work it was established our true dish was not the new red version but the old grey and so would need an upgrade to the dish. We took the game of 1,000 baht service visit charged and within 30 minutes we were up and running. The upgrade cost further 500 Baht.