Martial Arts In Chiang Mai

taipan

If your looking for just excercise any of the above is fine.

If your looking to protect yourself on the street i would do Muay Thai and

some ground fighting like Gracie jui jitsu. Even judo could round you out

enough for the soi. Remember ground fighting is useless againt 2 or more

opponents which is probably the way you will be attacked in Thailand not

to mention weapons and then handcuffs and plastic bags :o .

Kung <deleted>/Tai chi is a joke for a real fight. The school will inflate your ego as they

deflate your wallet. Most karate is useless against an experienced street

scrapper. Again usually a 8th Dan sensei lining his wallet while pumping

your ego. Kyoshin Kai or Shukokai is alright.

Another plus of Muay Thai training is chances are you will be facing a thai

guy with some degree of muay thai training. A kung <deleted>/tai chee whatever

guy would have no clue how to block a leg kick/knee etc etc.

The key here find something full contact and train just below the level

of damaging yourself.

When faced on the street with multiple attackers or a weapon - use your

feet - no i am not talking kicking i am talking running!! Even one on one

i would try to escape before trading blows if you can. The single opponent

could have some hidden buddies or an unseen weapon. A good knife fighter

will not let you know he has a knife until your bleeding out. Rarely will a

thai guy attack alone or unarmed. Then if you do dispatch the thai guy

you will have the police/relatives and the mandaitory revenge - this

time with 10-30 friends and cousins and the odd grandma with a hatchet.

Tae kwon do has nice fancy high kicks and terrible hand strikes. A Muay thai

fighter would walk right thru them.

good luck

nam

Edited by Nam Kao

A very nasty fight broke out in the Nana Hotel car park on Monday night and eye witness reports have it that a farang had the crap beaten out of him by a Thai. He was hit a few times and fell to the ground where he was pounded until unconscious. Medical help was sought and he was hauled into an ambulance and rushed away for treatment

• 5 months later...

Hello.

Taipan..... sorry you got misinformed.

All karate, all Tae Kwon Do, all any martial art is only as good as it is taught and, obviously, this is relative to it's effectiveness.

I must disagree with whoever is saying that karate is useless. As for the others I cannot say for sure.

If karate is taught properly, it is quite effective in a street fight. There is a big difference between competition karate and self-defense... karate or anything else. Just as there is a difference between Muay Thai in the ring and the original Muay Thai.

As for judo, I think it is as good as the teacher a person learns from. There are definitely self defense techniques in judo.

Any altercation without rules is dangerous. It is the reaction that might save someone. In a quick, no rules altercation, probably just a few techniques would be used.

I would suggest you think about what you want to learn, then seek out a good instructor. Usually this will not be a highly paid instructor... that I do agree with the person making the other posts.

If you are interested in more information, you can email me at [email protected] .

I wish you well.

Hello.

Taipan..... sorry you got misinformed.

All karate, all Tae Kwon Do, all any martial art is only as good as it is taught and, obviously, this is relative to it's effectiveness.

I must disagree with whoever is saying that karate is useless. As for the others I cannot say for sure.

If karate is taught properly, it is quite effective in a street fight. There is a big difference between competition karate and self-defense... karate or anything else. Just as there is a difference between Muay Thai in the ring and the original Muay Thai.

As for judo, I think it is as good as the teacher a person learns from. There are definitely self defense techniques in judo.

Any altercation without rules is dangerous. It is the reaction that might save someone. In a quick, no rules altercation, probably just a few techniques would be used.

I would suggest you think

about what you want to learn, then seek out a good instructor. Usually this will not be a highly paid instructor... that I do agree with the person making the other posts.

If you are interested in more information, you can email me at [email protected] .

I wish you well.

Just for interest. I plan to start a Judo Club (and Jujitsu), I'm a 5thDan (Black Belt), qualified national coach. I have also two other farangs both 3rd Dan (both English)that will help. At the moment I have been looking for premises but I have found it difficult to find suitable premises, FT Gym above Rimping was going to help but when he discoved the cost of mats he lost interest. There is a club at the Wattna Phayap school. I was asked to teach there but when I took my qualification with me the resident thai instructor *who was a black belt and no coaching qualification) didn't wan t me there - Loss of Face!

I f any one knows of a suitable room then I will be happy to give my services free

Nige;

I LOVED studying Jujitsu and it helped a lot that one learned real, useful self-defence techniques from day one. None of that boring martial arts form stuff.

I'm afraid that I'm too fat and unhealthy to study now or I would tell you to sign me up. :o

Jujitsu is one of the most ancient of the martial arts in the world, over 2500 years old. No one knows exactly where Jujitsu started. Although it has its origins in ancient Japan, it is also thought to be of an antiquated Chinese origin. Jujitsu was influenced by many fighting styles, incorporating parts of all of them. The weaponless styles of Jujitsu were integrated into the training of the Samurai, from the eighth to the sixteenth centuries. In 1603, Tokugawa Leysu united Japan under the control of the Tokugawa government, and so began the era that bears their name. During this time, as Japan was united, there was less and less armed warfare, and so the weaponless style of Jujitsu became more and more prominent. The Tokugawa era came to, which returned the emperor to power. Many of the samurai had supported the Shogun in the wars that began the restoration, and as a result, Emperor Melse published an edict that made it illegal to practice the old combat arts. In the mid 19th century, the Samurai class was formally disbanded, and many schools died out. It was at this time that Jigoro Kano, a master of the Tenshin Shin'Yo ryu Ju-Jitsu developed the Judo, would be be more accepted by the populace. By the mid twenty century, with the Meji restoration, the ban on Jujitsu in Japan had lifted, allowing the free practicing of the art.

Anyone familiar with something called Pancak Silat....[maybe spelled wrong]

Hey Gonzo mate, don't those come with ice cream? :o

You got it MM ..... a little pancak silat and I scream a lot

:D

Like listening to Amazing Grace on the bagpipes..... scream alot

Edited by Gonzo the Face