Movies At The Avenue For 80 Baht Any Weekday.

sharky1

For the last couple of years, I've never paid more than 80 baht for a movie ticket at Major Cineplex at The Avenue on 2nd road.

Students under 25 (with no proof asked) and seniors (no proof of age asked) can get their tickets discounted on request. I am shy of 40 so I went the student route. They asked for my birthday, I said 1972. They had no idea if that means I'm 22, 42, or 102.

For 50 baht, they even gave me a nice student card so there's no discussion at the cash.

Here's the schedule:

http://www.majorcineplex.com/en/search-results/?movieId_0=&cinemaId_1=3

post-151124-0-13318800-1337225917_thumb.

They also had one day of the week when anyone could get in for a reduced price, I think it was Wednesday.

Do they still have that deal ?

Yes that's still in effect but Wednesdays attracts a lot of younger people who often make noise during the film. I go any day or time I want for 80 baht and it's quiet. I've gone on a few occasions where they didn't even have the minimum 3 people required to make it worth their while.

Any movies worth watching? I don't keep up with Hollywood. Usually it's just junk so I don't bother.

The schedule changes weekly. There are Thai movies as well. The American movies released in Thailand are a small subset of what's actually produced there. Mostly the big budget, action stuff, etc.

http://www.movieseer.com/th/showtimes.aspx

I prefer to go to the Avenue for my movies since the cinemas at Central are crowded and...no matter what seat you choose (with empty seats around you) a Thai will choose a seat right next to you though there is enough space to scatter ones self so you are not hearing the crunching of popcorn or one text messaging. At the Avenue, you can freely get up and move if there is someone that has chosen a seat right next to you. Yes, it is a "cultural" thing...Asians like to be in crowds, Westerners like their space.

I prefer to go to the Avenue for my movies since the cinemas at Central are crowded and...no matter what seat you choose (with empty seats around you) a Thai will choose a seat right next to you though there is enough space to scatter ones self so you are not hearing the crunching of popcorn or one text messaging. At the Avenue, you can freely get up and move if there is someone that has chosen a seat right next to you. Yes, it is a "cultural" thing...Asians like to be in crowds, Westerners like their space.

Yeah, you're right. It's really funny. For example, if you are choosing a seat and there are only a few other viewers on the seating chart, its common for the ticket clerks to suggest a seat sitting right next to the few other viewers. Cultural difference, that's all. Edited by Jingthing

With Major's online booking system, you can reserve blocks of seats beforehand which won't be sold. In effect, book a square around you so no rude people can sit near you.

Today I went to see some Nazi comedy (<deleted>?!). Very few people in the room. Aah, a nice quiet theater. Just after the royal anthem, a Thai couple snuck in behind me and spoke at full volume forcing me to change seats....TIT.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Rimmer

30 years ago in Manila I used to go the cinema just about every day. They had dozens of them; huge air-conditoned buildings that could seat thousands of people and on most days they were more or less empty until late afternoon. Tickets cost about 5B at the time. All the (non-Filipino) films were in the original English with no subtitles.

These days I just watch films on my HD TV. Wild horses wouldnt get me into a cinema, unless I could be sure there was hardly anyone else inside.

• Like 1

30 years ago in Manila I used to go the cinema just about every day. They had dozens of them; huge air-conditoned buildings that could seat thousands of people and on most days they were more or less empty until late afternoon. Tickets cost about 5B at the time. All the (non-Filipino) films were in the original English with no subtitles.

These days I just watch films on my HD TV. Wild horses wouldnt get me into a cinema, unless I could be sure there was hardly anyone else inside.

"Dozens" of cinemas that could seat "thousands of people"???

Cinemas used to be a lot bigger than they are now. Even so, a capacity for around 1.000 was BIG anywhere in the world. Thousands - as in at least 2.000 - and by the dozen?

"Dozens" of cinemas that could seat "thousands of people"???

Cinemas used to be a lot bigger than they are now. Even so, a capacity for around 1.000 was BIG anywhere in the world. Thousands - as in at least 2.000 - and by the dozen?

These were really huge places, and there were indeed at least a couple of dozen of them dotted around town, some in better condition than others and some larger than others naturally. 1000 is only 20 rows of 50 people, so yes it was thousands, easily.

I miss those cinemas.

If you go to the Avenue, especially on a weekday, you can be sure there is hardly anyone else inside. With that few customers I can't see how they can survive much longer. I'm afraid we will be a one multiplex town soon.

I don't care in the slightest how many people are watching, but I go to Cineplex often and it is rare to have many people in there. If you don't like crowds, just follow 2 simple rules - don't go to a new release on the first week and avoid Wednesday "cheap night".

The OP is incorrect saying you'll never pay more than 80 baht. If the movie is "digital", they add about 40 baht and a lot more if it is 3D. Cheap nights are only Monday to Thursday with only Wednesday offering 80 baht seats at the front. Mon, Tues & Thurs are 100 baht (front seats).

I don't understand why anyone would adjust their week around a 20 - 40 baht discount. If I feel like going I go and don't think about what day of the week it is.

If you go to the Avenue, especially on a weekday, you can be sure there is hardly anyone else inside. With that few customers I can't see how they can survive much longer. I'm afraid we will be a one multiplex town soon.

I was thinking the same thing in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 - yet they remain open.

sounds like a good deal to me and will make my cinema going experience cheaper

i don't like sitting next to anyone so i buy four tickets for me and the missis

that way we have a one seat buffer between us and armrest poachers.........

Has the multiplex at Central Festival closed?

Has the multiplex at Central Festival closed?

Assuming you mean Central Centre on 2nd Road....

No, they just stopped showing English soundtrack movies when Central Mall Beach Road opened.

Edited by tropo

With Major's online booking system, you can reserve blocks of seats beforehand which won't be sold. In effect, book a square around you so no rude people can sit near you.

Today I went to see some Nazi comedy (<deleted>?!). Very few people in the room. Aah, a nice quiet theater. Just after the royal anthem, a Thai couple snuck in behind me and spoke at full volume forcing me to change seats....TIT.

rolleyes.gif

The talkers remind me of going to the movies back in the hood. Hated the talkers then and hate them now. The added technology of telephones didn't really help either.

Your such a Hi-SO!!tongue.png

The talkers remind me of going to the movies back in the hood. Hated the talkers then and hate them now. The added technology of telephones didn't really help either.

I talk... smile.png ... but at least I don't shout and I do turn my phone to silent.

The added technology of telephones didn't really help either.

Dont get me started on mobile phones. Coughing and popcorn-eating in cinemas was already too much for me.

Considering your lack of tolerance....

You must be thinking - thank God for large HD - TV's and bit-torrents.

I watch most movies at home myself, but going to the movies is something different.

Your such a Hi-SO!!tongue.png

more So-So than Hi-So

• Like 1

My girlfriend has one of those M Generation cards which saves us 20 baht off each ticket. I also prefer the Avenue to Central Festival as it is easier to just park the motorbike and ride the elevator up to the theater and also a lot less busier during the week. For the big movies I have been really looking forward to I will see it at the Porch or First Class theater in Central Festival. They raised the prices recently but still worth the 600 or 700 baht each ticket to watch in comfort and get drinks and snacks brought to you.

That's absolutely ridiculous....

That's absolutely ridiculous....

you think?

have you ever rubbed shoulders with a stinky specimen for 2 hours?

i believe its money well spent to keep such people out of my personal space.......

Edited by timekeeper