Car Rental Insurance

Peter1974

Is it possible to obtain Car Rental Insurance if you are not operating as a car rental company? A friend of mine recently rented a car from a restaurant owner who rents out a couple of cars from his restaurant. When I asked him about the insurance, he said that the restaurant owner assured him that he had first class rental insurance. Thoughts please......

In answer to the OP. No.

Rental Insurance has to have the Rental Company name on the Insurance policy/Certificate.

But,Private "First Class Insurance" allows any driver to use the vehicle so maybe the restaurant is telling customers not to mention the word "hire" if they have an accident ?

• Like 1

Yep exactly..

The OP could drive my car and he would be insured, but not if I rented the car to him.

Actualy they need a license to rent cars. Just to mention, i do car rental business, but therefore i know. Must have a license to rent cars and must have a car rental insurance with the code 120 (not 110) written in the insurance policy. Anything else is not valid!

In answer to the OP. No.

Rental Insurance has to have the Rental Company name on the Insurance policy/Certificate.

But,Private "First Class Insurance" allows any driver to use the vehicle so maybe the restaurant is telling customers not to mention the word "hire" if they have an accident ?

Is this correct? I had understood that even with 1st Class insurance, drivers must be named on the insurance policy - thanks

No this is not the case in Thailand at least not with any of my policies over the years, it is the vehicle that is insured and not the driver.

I have smashed up a car having not been named on the policy and presented my UK licence to the insurance company and everything was fine.

The policy holder was my wife's sister.

I know this is a Pattaya question but I hire cars from Lek car hire in Udon Thani. They have first class insurance as part of the rental price and I am quite sure it is on the vehicle not in my name.

Lek are an excellent company if anyone is looking to hire in Udon.

My wife used to rent out her car, she informed the insurance company about this and they only charged an extra 500 Baht a year, full cover.

Her nephew "borrowed" the car one time and fell asleep and landed up in the middle of Sukhumvit minus a wheel and some other bits, when my wife phoned the insurance company to explain....they said to put on the claim form that the car was out on rental and the claim would be settled quicker in case she lost business!!

In answer to the OP. No.

Is this correct? I had understood that even with 1st Class insurance, drivers must be named on the insurance policy - thanks

its commonplace for Thai policy's to have no specific drivers

however if you elect to name the drivers and only allow them to drive, then the policy will be discounted

The illegal part is the restaurant owner renting his car. Your friend driving someone else's car if it has first class insurance is fine. As others have said, if in an accident he should not mention that he was renting, just borrowing.